• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

WHAT ON EARTH IS EVERYONE HEARING IN THAT SONG THAT I DON'T HEAR

ibbIyRpUq2oRuK.gif

I enjoy its simplicity more than anything to be honest. Artpop was one of my favorite records from last year but some shit was so overproduced. I'm looking at you, Aura, MJH... Brooklyn Nights has relatively simple lyrics, easy to sing along to and Gaga sounds vocally great. It's not something I imagine dominating the charts, but I certainly think it could replace a number of songs on Artpop.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Talking of I heard fashion in a program the other day
I never knew they could play leaked music as a soundtrack

Brooklyn Nights is nothing special (except for the bridge because monotone-Ga gives me infinite lives) but I do find it to be kind of refreshing. It's not trying to be 8 things at once; just an understated, sweet love song. I'm a fan of her lyrical style (New York reference, description, description, admission of love for certain detail from said description) and BN reminds me of her old 2007-2008 cuts. I appreciate it.

Do I think it deserves to be on ARTPOP? No, because it doesn't fit with the album. But with a slick production and some retooled vocals I think it has a lot of potential.

Vitanimus

I wonder how Ultraviolence will perform commercially considering Video Games went viral in 2011 and cemented her success, although Lana has never been, and probably never will be, a singles artist. She's had a relatively successful year with Young and Beautiful, the Cedric Gervais remix of Summertime Sadness charting high worldwide and to some extent, Once Upon a Dream in Maleficent which is pretty much guarenteed to be a box office success. I don't think Ultraviolence will have the same legs as Born To Die, but then again we've heard no tracks yet, so I'd love to be wrong.

I wonder how Ultraviolence will perform commercially considering Video Games went viral in 2011 and cemented her success, although Lana has never been, and probably never will be, a singles artist. She's had a relatively successful year with Young and Beautiful, the Cedric Gervais remix of Summertime Sadness charting high worldwide and to some extent, Once Upon a Dream in Maleficent which is pretty much guarenteed to be a box office success. I don't think Ultraviolence will have the same legs as Born To Die, but then again we've heard no tracks yet, so I'd love to be wrong.

How so? I mean, Lana as an artist is more widely known now as opposed to when she released Born To Die. If anything, Ultraviolence will do astronomically better than BTD and Paradise because of all the reasons you listed. The only way it can NOT do as well is if the lead single is trash.

Bladenic

How so? I mean, Lana as an artist is more widely known now as opposed to when she released Born To Die. If anything, Ultraviolence will do astronomically better than BTD and Paradise because of all the reasons you listed. The only way it can NOT do as well is if the lead single is trash.

I wouldn't say anything like that. I hope Ultraviolence slays both quality wise and commercially. But far too many artists have emerged with a debut album that sells well over time, and their follow up flops.

KNT-Zero

What the fuck is going on with Justin Bieber? He's randomly releasing all these singles every Monday these past few weeks ("Music Mondays" he calls them) and they're all INCREDIBLE...by the standards of his prior discography, at least. Does he even have an album coming out?

Change Me
All That Matters
PYD
Hold Tight
Heartbreaker

I mean, what!? That's some damn good stuff from the Biebz, some Justified-era Neptunes realness

tumblr_mqibl45azC1s37850o1_250.gif

Songs would be so much better if he had a stronger voice tho

Can't believe how much I'm liking this stuff. My 18 year old, no-longer-a-Bieber-fan sister would laugh her ass off with me. Aw well, another guilty pleasure makes the list...

Vitanimus

I see your point. I think with Lana, her aesthetic and vocal ability was considered wildly different to the current pop soundscape in 2011 with Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc. dominating the charts, which created an atmosphere of intrigue and uniqueness surrounding her which helped fuel Born To Die's longevity. But in turn, she has a dedicated fanbase and has established herself as an artist, so I guess it is equally possible that Ultraviolence surpasses the critical and commerical success of Born To Die. I hope this makes sense?

I see your point. I think with Lana, her aesthetic and vocal ability was considered wildly different to the current pop soundscape in 2011 with Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, etc. dominating the charts, which created an atmosphere of intrigue and uniqueness surrounding her which helped fuel Born To Die's longevity. But in turn, she has a dedicated fanbase and has established herself as an artist, so I guess it is equally possible that Ultraviolence surpasses the critical and commerical success of Born To Die. I hope this makes sense?

Oh it absolutely does. I guess my point is that I think Lana can only go up from here (hopefully) because of the amount of recognition she's getting.

I don't think she'll ever have another smash like the Summertime Sadness remix unless she remixes something from Ultraviolence, but I suspect her album will do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom