• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qazaq

Banned
tumblr_mduzh2pot41rxmai6o1_500.gif

No need to throw temper tantrums, girls.

DMeisterJ

Banned
'Stay' is the rare song that, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about it, and it turned mildly pleasant, but instead of growing on me, I grew to HATE it.

Like, sorry but that is one boring ass trite mess. I am here for many Rihanna songs, but not that one.

And stay will likely remain a bigger hit than the shit that Xtina is on. Hopefully SS can move the 3.7M units Stay did.

Qazaq

Banned
And stay will likely remain a bigger hit than the shit that Xtina is on. Hopefully SS can move the 3.7M units Stay did.

I'm still deciding if it was worth clicking 'View Single Post' in order to tell you that I don't decide what songs I like based on my predisposition to other artists, or not.

I was wondering who all these random hews were on the iTunes top 10 but then I realized that they're all from The Voice. How is it that The Voice stays rocketing people up the charts during the season but isn't able to establish any stars with post-show longevity?

Does Idol sell music during the season as well?

Qazaq

Banned
The radio does. Song was in the top 10 for like 20 weeks. That's an amazing shelf life for a song.

So you're saying its chart run was stale and unmoving, like the song.

tumblr_mduzh2pot41rxmai6o1_500.gif

Don't you dare come into this thread calling out specific members in a rude fashion and then act like it isn't your fault.

glennclosecruella1.gif

royalan

I was wondering who all these random hews were on the iTunes top 10 but then I realized that they're all from The Voice. How is it that The Voice stays rocketing people up the charts during the season but isn't able to establish any stars with post-show longevity?

Because it isn't really a priority of the show. The Voice really only embraces the celebrity of their contestants in as much as they are actually on the show. Honestly, it's a formula that works for them.

Because it isn't really a priority of the show. The Voice really only embraces the celebrity of their contestants in as much as they are actually on the show. Honestly, it's a formula that works for them.
I'm amazed that people stay tuning in, then! Must be the power of the judges.

Don't itunes purchases of the songs count as votes for the results?

Qazaq

Banned
Anything Rihanna posts on Twitter is more interesting than Stay
and anything half your faves put out

Cassadee Pope is doing pretty well.

I think, we all have to remember though, that while The Voice winners DEFINITELY should have performed better and the show revolves around the coaches more than the singers for sure, American Idol hasn't been great with that either, and kind of hit the jackpot in terms of luck with finding Kelly Clarkson first. Candice Glover hew?

They definitely found some great people though. Fantasia, Carrie, Katherine McPhee, Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert. But ever since Season 5, you just don't see almost any alumni gaining traction either. Aside from Adam Lambert, am I forgetting someone post Season 5 that really had a noticeable career?

They definitely found some great people though. Fantasia, Carrie, Katherine McPhee, Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert. But ever since Season 5, you just don't see almost any alumni gaining traction either. Aside from Adam Lambert, am I forgetting someone post Season 5 that really had a noticeable career?

Not really true.

Phillip Phillips is a legit smash.

Qazaq

Banned
Not really true.

Phillip Phillips is a legit smash.

Yes! You're right. Forgot him.

Anyone else? I mean remember, American Idols 6-12 is a long time to only turn out Philip Phillips and Adam Lambert if I'm not missing anyone. The Voice hasn't been on that long.

What a tragic mess of a show. Ugh. So sad.

Yet all four of the judges from the show have successful solo careers...... including the song of 2013 and the probable best selling pop girl album of 2013.

The Voice can't even launch its own judges careers with 4-5x the viewers.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Yet all four of the judges from the show have successful solo careers...... including the song of 2013 and the probable best selling pop girl album of 2013.

Very true. Although I'd say Adam's career has grown exponentially because of the show. I hate him, but I would be willing to tie Maroon 5's increased success with his involvement in The Voice.

Qazaq

Banned

220px-Moves-Like-Jagger-Official-Single-Cover.jpg

Agreatbigworldsaysomething.png

Moves Like Jagger was one of the biggest songs of the entire 2011 year, and Say Something is on track to be one of the biggest songs of the season/2014 year.

Not to mention Moves Like Jagger's sound directly gave birth to Overexposed which completely dominated in terms of singles and turned Maroon 5 into a juggernaut again when they'd been fading before.

I'm not trying to stan The Voice, but I wouldn't say what you said is literally true. It literally did give an entire new life into Maroon 5. Considering Blake Shelton is THE current country superstar (aka he doesn't have anywhere up to go) and Cee Lo wasn't really releasing new music, that's not exactly shabby, especially when we have a Voice-launched single by the other coach still in the game that is currently burning up the charts.

Ch...there is no shade in that second post, really.

Let me make it clear where the shade lies:

Y'all need to get on my level a bit.
02ISp2L.gif

220px-Moves-Like-Jagger-Official-Single-Cover.jpg

Agreatbigworldsaysomething.png

Moves Like Jagger was one of the biggest songs of the entire 2011 year, and Say Something is on track to be one of the biggest songs of the season/2014 year.

Not to mention Moves Like Jagger's sound directly gave birth to Overexposed which completely dominated in terms of singles and turned Maroon 5 into a juggernaut again when they'd been fading before.

I'm not trying to stan The Voice, but I wouldn't say what you said is true.

Maroon 5 is big.

I specifically specified solo careers. Xtina does not count since her solo stuff has flopped universally since she was on the show.

Cee Lo Green has also flopped.

1 (maybe 2) of 4 vs 3.5 of 4

Qazaq

Banned
Lol you have an interesting way of looking at things.

Maroon 5 was losing a lot of steam with Hands All Over. Misery did OK and Never Gonna Leave This Bed didn't really do much.

Due to the show, they teamed up with Christina, debuted Moves Like Jagger, which became one of the biggest smashes of the year.

They continue that sound for their next album, and get smash after smash after smash.

I don't really know what else you're looking for.

Lol you have an interesting way of looking at things.

Maroon 5 was losing a lot of steam with Hands All Over. Misery did OK and Never Gonna Leave This Bed didn't really do much.

Due to the show, they teamed up with Christina, debuted Moves Like Jagger, which became one of the biggest smashes of the year.

They continue that sound for their next album, and get smash after smash after smash.

I don't really know what else you're looking for.

I wasn't being shady about Maroon 5.

I agreed with you that The Voice launched their careers.

Qazaq

Banned
I wasn't being shady about Maroon 5.

I agreed with you that The Voice launched that their career.

Right, okay.

But Cee Lo Green, I mean if he flopped, he flopped so hard I haven't even heard of what he's released. He hasn't used the show to debut material.

Christina flopped with Lotus.

Blake Shelton hasn't used The Voice in awhile for a song though Honey Bee did well; but Blake Shelton is the #1 country star right now so there's no point in counting him.

Christina used The Voice to debut a song with A Great Big World and launch their careers. They had enough preorders of their album to get a promo single to the top of the iTunes charts yesterday and their song is currently smashing.

Again... I'm not sure what you're looking for. It's most certainly a mixed bag, but certainly a better track record for the coaches than not.

royalan

That's probably because all 4 judges had their careers launched before the show.

We'll see what Idol does for its judges careers this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom