• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Congrats to Rihanna. Getting a #1 one year after her iconic performance.

iEGWw46ZfGLHk.gif

Trigger

I remember reading that she said that Legendary Lovers will definitely be a single at some point.

Rumour has it that the original choices for single #3 were This Is How We Do (capitol's choice
2095c354.gif
) and Birthday (Katy's choice
25793bfd.gif
) but since DH is already doing well, they're just going ahead and releasing it.

A mess. Birthdaysus would slay as a single.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Would actually be here for Katy and Ellie

Aguila

#ICONIC
The grammy award-winning Kimbra is coming early next year.

iO1hHZx0XqZTW.gif

We won’t get to hear it until early next year but Kimbra’s new album is shaping up to be one of the most eclectic and interesting releases of 2014. The very impressive list of musicians Kimbra has recruited to collaborate on the record includes pop iconoclasts (Daniel Johns, Dirty Projectors’ Dave Longstreth, Unknown Mortal Orchestra’s Ruban Neilson); abstract beat wizards (Flying Lotus, Thundercat); progressive rock heroes (Mars Volta’s Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Deantoni Parkes, members of Dillinger Escape Plan and Queens of the Stone Age); seductive soul singers (Bilal, John Legend); and the undefinable and legendary composer Van Dyke Parks. And just because that’s not quite enough musical prowess to feature on one album, Prince’s New Power Generation keyboardist Morris Hayes and John Robinson – the legendary session player known as the most recorded drummer in history – were also invited to drop by the studio.

I’ve always felt like the music I write definitely has catchy elements and a pop nature to it because I love timeless music that has a strong melodic content. But a lot of my time is spent listening to pretty experimental music and, I guess, progressive rock. My band comes from that background of a really interesting, more boundary pushing approach to music. Interesting time signatures, more experimental approach on it and so we always like to think that the music that we make live and also what I make on records is, I guess, a different way of approaching pop music. Prog-pop sounds kind of fun, right? I hate to put labels on music but it’s kind of the closest thing I could think of to explain what direction the record is moving in.

You create very intimate moments with people and so it becomes very difficult to decide which are the 12 or so songs that are going to give that snapshot of everything I’ve explored this year. Working with Ben and Omar – and Michael Shuman from Queens of The Stone Age – there’s this aggression that people have contributed. Not “rock” but progressive and definitely heavier as artists. And then there’s artists I’ve worked with who are far more on the R&B side of things. Bilal is my favourite soul singer – a few years ago I was obsessed with his album. And then people like Dave Longstreth and that more melodic side and the Van Dyke stuff, which is kind of opposed to the stuff that I’d do with the heavier artists
Long article here.

Mau ®

Let's celebrate Rihanna's matching MJ by picking our fave Rihanna #1 single:

S.O.S.
Umbrella
Live Your Life
Take a Bow
Disturbia
Rude Boy
Love The Way You Lie
Only Girl (in Pop)
What's My Name
S&M
We Found Love
Diamonds
The Monster

Diamonds is my fave
1074.gif

closely followed by We Found Love
1074.gif

1. What's My Name
2. We Found Love
3. Rude Boy
4. Umbrella
5. Diamonds
6. Only Girl
7. Disturbia
8. S.O.S.
9. S&M
10. Love The Way You Lie
11. Take a Bow
12. Live Your Life
13. The Monster

1074.gif

Trigger

My favorite would be Diamonds of that list. I didn't care for it at first, but it's really grown on me. I'm surprised Where Have You(r Fave's Wigs) Been isn't on that list. It's my favorite Rih club banger.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My favorite would be Diamonds of that list. I didn't care for it at first, but it's really grown on me. I'm surprised Where Have You(r Fave's Wigs) Been isn't on that list. It's my favorite Rih club banger.

Yes, stan, the best track from TTT.

botty

Banned
If Crumpet is banned, let it be fully known that the only bans on his accounts have come from Rihanna stanning. :^)

cory64

1. Umbrella
2. Only Girl (in Pop)
3. Diamonds
4. We Found Love
5. Rude Boy
6. Disturbia
7. What's My Name
8. S.O.S.
9. S&M
10. Live Your Life
11. Love The Way You Lie
12. Take a Bow
13. The Monster

The Monster is such a turd of a song. Not even Rihanna's hook can save it.

I say this as someone who didn't mind Love the Way You Lie.

Mau ®;93369322 said:
That's because that song is TRASH!!

I've read it all now. Mau niece, rih-evaluate your life.

1. Only Girl (in Pop)
2. What's My Name
3. S&M
4. Diamonds
5. We Found Love
6. Disturbia
7. Rude Boy
8. Umbrella
9. S.O.S.
10. Take a Bow
11. Love The Way You Lie
12. The Monster
13. Live Your Life

iyLE1q6ioAMWu.gif

The gap in quality between the top 2 songs and the rest is huge.

Yado

lord @ all the seemingly effortless, relentless #NAVY dragging in that thread. Rookje's post alone. I seriously can't.
iYjp79GdsXqPL.gif

Most of those perceived #NAVY draggings are actually self clocks that highlight how Rihanna has been able to achieve more than her peers and predecessors by doing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom