• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
But wait at that Rihanna thread. I agree with almost everything everyone had to say good and bad.

But I'm sorry, she may have surpassed MJ which in this digital age is very expected but she is no MJ. She has no type of legacy that he left behind. He is a legend. He has a dance, a style, the music, the ups and downs, timeless bops that echo across generations for the past decades . She does not have that. We will remember Rihanna the same way we remembered Donna Summers. An iconic lady that was the face of pop, but who never left a legacy behind that we can thoroughly remember her by besides hit singles.

Essentially MJ is timeless. Rihanna isn't.....
I actually think that's a pretty nice comparison. I agree with everything you've said.

xaosslug

Rihanna isn't.....
yet..

let's be honest - the minute Rihanna is no longer 'cool' the #NAVY will disband and she will immediately be replaced/run out the game.

Rihanna is the MySpace of popstars.

ikZNiwHB0rEAJ.gif

Yado

But wait at that Rihanna thread. I agree with almost everything everyone had to say good and bad.

But I'm sorry, she may have surpassed MJ which in this digital age is very expected but she is no MJ. She has no type of legacy that he left behind. He is a legend. He has a dance, a style, the music, the ups and downs, timeless bops that echo across generations for the past decades . She does not have that. We will remember Rihanna the same way we remembered Donna Summers. An iconic lady that was the face of pop, but who never left a legacy behind that we can thoroughly remember her by besides hit singles.

Essentially MJ is timeless. Rihanna isn't.....
yet..

Did Donna Summers hit the career highs that Rihanna has?

royalan

...actually, Donna Summer's legacy lasted for a really long time. Well after Disco died and after she stopped making music regularly. And even today she has a handful of instantly-recognizable singles (as you pointed out). Make no mistake, Donna is a Queen, and she has a legacy that 95% of the acts doing it today will never have.

I don't think we'll ever see another MJ in our lifetimes. Besides his amazing talent, MJ really came out at just the right time to achieve the level of celebrity that he did. I don't think we'll see another MJ until music itself evolves.

That said, I DO think Rihanna is as close to the "idea" of Michael Jackson as anybody could get. Definitely closer than any other female.

Qazaq

Banned
Am I the only one that finds these comparisons, really quite literally, pointless?

It's not just dumb cliche drivel to say that every artist pretty much stands alone in terms of uniqueness. Yes there are certain comparisons but, really, who cares?

I don't think we'll ever see another MJ in our lifetimes. Besides his amazing talent, MJ really came out at just the right time to achieve the level of celebrity that he did. I don't think we'll see another MJ until music itself evolves.

That said, I DO think Rihanna is as close to the "idea" of Michael Jackson as anybody could get. Definitely closer than any other female.

Yes.

No.

i5AfN4ukgPjMT.gif

Treacherous
All Too Well
I Almost Do
Red

tumblr_m86nd4RZtX1r4wl17.gif

State of Grace
Sad Beautiful Tragic
Starlight
Holy Ground

tumblr_inline_mq5vfvmofB1qz4rgp.gif

The Last Time
Everything Has Changed
I Knew You Were Trouble
WANEGBT

tumblr_mvdscuTW5w1sq0x6uo4_250.gif

Stay Stay Stay
The Lucky One
Begin Again

I actually think that's a pretty nice comparison. I agree with everything you've said.

I loved Donna Summers and I believe in terms of reputation, Rihanna is the closest thing to her.

let's be honest - the minute Rihanna is no longer 'cool' the #NAVY will disband and she will immediately be replaced/run out the game.

Rihanna is the MySpace of popstars.

ikZNiwHB0rEAJ.gif

#Deceased However I think Rihanna will always be cool until Alternative indie becomes the norm and her style has faded. Urban will start to require something more than hooks and yodeling. But then again... Idk. I can't see the future.

Did Donna Summers hit the career highs that Rihanna has?

Well, imo she did. She was the Queen of Disco. Every track she touched became gold. However unlike today, Disco died and with that her career. I feel like she was good enough to go through the 90's and 2000's but she was just about too old and hit her prime too late.

...actually, Donna Summer's legacy lasted for a really long time. Well after Disco died and after she stopped making music regularly. And even today she has a handful of instantly-recognizable singles (as you pointed out). Make no mistake, Donna is a Queen, and she has a legacy that 95% of the acts doing it today will never have.

Her legacy still remains in her music though. That's what I'm saying. I think she was a queen in her era even when the competition was heavy. There was Tina, Chaka, Evelyn Champagne, Dianna.. Etc.. But despite her being a huge face there was nothing else left. However I think that Donna summers has aged right. I can't say the same about Rihanna songs. Donna songs has survived the test of time but the late 2000's aren't the same.. Well for me. I don't feel like 10 years from now, we will be listening to Rihanna like fine wine.

I think that Rih's going to have some kind of Miley moment and people will stop caring about her.

If she puts out another We Found God I'll totally give ha my coins but until then I don't care.

Trigger

Sugar Water is the only Cibo Motto song I use.

tumblr_mvdscuTW5w1sq0x6uo4_250.gif

Stay Stay Stay
The Lucky One
Begin Again

And we walked down the block to my car and I almost brought him up
But you start to talk about the movies that your family
Watches
Every single Christmas and I want to talk about that
And for the first time what's past is past

Stop fighting Begin Again.

fu2GhUa.gif

Now to spill some tea on Mariah. I'm anticipated for a clock but....

I've listen to her first album all the way up to Butterfly and there's some things about Mariah I must of misspoke on when I came in with my first infamous post. However.... Can someone explain to me how Mariah "grew" in her discology? So far, listening to them separately and together, it all felt like one huge album. Ballads bloated almost all of them. Some of them good others incredibly boring. Maybe the times is different and Ballads aren't exactly my cup of tea anymore but what am I missing from her? Outside her number one bops, I can barely star a song that was on the album that wasn't a ballad that wasn't incredibly slow and boring.

royalan

Her legacy still remains in her music though. That's what I'm saying. I think she was a queen in her era even when the competition was heavy. There was Tina, Chaka, Evelyn Champagne, Dianna.. Etc.. But despite her being a huge face there was nothing else left. However I think that Donna summers has aged right. I can't say the same about Rihanna songs. Donna songs has survived the test of time but the late 2000's aren't the same.. Well for me. I don't feel like 10 years from now, we will be listening to Rihanna like fine wine.

...eh, I can I agree with this.
Espcially now that I know you're also a Donna stan and that this isn't meant to be shade. Stan sis.

Donna was so magnificent. I was just having a Moment with Donna. Disco was definitely a bit before my time, but one thing I love about the genre is how unafraid it was of lush production. You don't get much uptempo Pop these days that'll have a full string section AND vocal harmonies.

Take one of my favorite Donna songs, Could It Be Magic. The beat starts off so incredibly simple, and then the strings kick in the production swells into this epic and sensual love mid-tempo.

Also, those VOCALS. I remember reading somewhere (or maybe it was Mumei telling me) that Donna never really saw herself as an amazing singer, which is crazy. She was phenomenal in her prime, comparable to Whitney in a lot of ways.

Esch

Banned
i9GG55pRRlxkY.gif

Dear POPGAF brehs,

I have a question. Has Chris Brown (piss be upon him) 's music been hot or has it been flopping a lot recently? I've been hearing that nicki track around a lot but not much else for the past couple years. What's goin on there?

thanks,
Esch

cory64

Dear POPGAF brehs,

I have a question. Has Chris Brown (piss be upon him) 's music been hot or has it been flopping a lot recently? I've been hearing that nicki track around a lot but not much else for the past couple years. What's goin on there?

thanks,
Esch

The Nicki track is fire, the rest has been trash fitting of his legacy.

i9GG55pRRlxkY.gif

Dear POPGAF brehs,

thanks,
Esch

He did Don't Wake Me Up and Love More recently. He hasn't really found success in commercial radio play beyond that.

Trigger

Dear POPGAF brehs,

thanks,
Esch

It's honestly not awful, but his personality/infamy is overshadowing whatever redeeming tracks he does put out.

eh not present gaga, I'm talking about TFM Gaga.

What does Rihanna have in common with MJ besides #1 hits?

Rihanna has massive appeal among multiple demographics. Her celebrity status is ridiculously high at this point. She's a global force.

She hasn't achieved MJ's level of fame and success, but she's the closest of the major pop females to do so at this point.

Gaga obviously has more in common with MJ in terms of talent, but in a sheer measure of fame and global impact and recognition, Rihanna has her beat right now.

Gaga during the Fame Monster era would be a contender as well in all respects.

Styles

The Red Tour was well-received by Australian critics:

If there's something incredible about watching Swift perform it's realising how much the singer-songwriter, who will turn 24 on Friday, she has achieved at such a young age.
And how she's dealt with the heady experience of having tens of thousands of fans screaming up at her night after night, hanging onto her every word like its gospel, and how she's navigated her way through the constant media scrutiny without going the way of other celebrities who make headlines for all the wrong reasons.

She's the wholesome antidote to other crotch-grabbing, lacklustre pop divas.

Your favourite transformation of Swift's enormous multi-level stage might be the castle, the party scene or, for the impressive closing in which she is the ring-master, the circus.
When she hinted at her birthday, the stadium filled with a thousands-strong chorus of Happy Birthday.

http://www.watoday.com.au/entertain...ws-young-and-old-in-perth-20131212-2z7cr.html

iT3pBn48vvQDq.gif

...eh, I can I agree with this.
Espcially now that I know you're also a Donna stan and that this isn't meant to be shade. Stan sis.

Donna was so magnificent. I was just having a Moment with Donna. Disco was definitely a bit before my time, but one thing I love about the genre is how unafraid it was of lush production. You don't get much uptempo Pop these days that'll have a full string section AND vocal harmonies.

Take one of my favorite Donna songs, Could It Be Magic. The beat starts off so incredibly simple, and then the strings kick in the production swells into this epic and sensual love mid-tempo.

Also, those VOCALS. I remember reading somewhere (or maybe it was Mumei telling me) that Donna never really saw herself as an amazing singer, which is crazy. She was phenomenal in her prime, comparable to Whitney in a lot of ways.

Lyyyyfffffffeee. I LOVVVE THIS SONG!!

Don't get me started on DONNA! Even though I'm proud to be a 90's baby born in one of the best eras in music (even tho I was jealous I wasn't born in the 80's for years).. The Disco era was unlike every era in the 80's. Production values of almost every song was everything. Vocals was front and center, so clear, blending with the amazing production that was live. That's what made Donna such a hit. Every time I listen to her, I cry because she was so amazing. I understand how good Whitney was but Donna to me was something else. one of my favorite timeless bop from Donna is

Heaven Knows

The way that Song opens. It's so fast paced, gets your body moving and her luscious vocals that just lay on the beat so sensually. Umph! She has vocals that are very underestimated and it Sucks that she never got the right recognition she deserved. It was after she died that they wanted to. Despicable.. But sis... I'm a Donna Stan for life.

royalan

I don't think Gaga was ever in a position to be compared to MJ at any point in her career tbh.

There was a period, in the lead-up to BTW, that I saw the potential. To this day I don't think any pop album has managed the accumulate the level of hype that BTW did SINCE an MJ record.

...only problem was BTW ended up being garbage, and instead of holding on to the GP, Gaga chose to become an inside joke between herself and her crazed stans.

Esch

Banned
The Nicki track is fire, the rest has been trash fitting of his legacy.

He did Don't Wake Me Up and Love More recently. He hasn't really found success in commercial radio play beyond that.

It's honestly not awful, but his personality/infamy is overshadowing whatever redeeming tracks he does put out.

Thanks yall. I remember that song about don't judge me or whatever flopping harder than the fat kids on that flotilla in Heavyweights
jQDGKPxgJArW4.png

There was a period, in the lead-up to BTW, that I saw the potential. To this day I don't think any pop album has managed the accumulate the level of hype that BTW did SINCE an MJ record.

...only problem was BTW ended up being garbage, and instead of holding on to the GP, Gaga chose to become an inside joke between herself and her crazed stans.

I don't even want to think about what could have been

;______;

The hype for Born This Way was truly astronomical. My own personal hype included. The lead up felt like a worldwide event which is something not many pop acts can achieve.

Born This Way has higher highs than both The Fame Monster and ARTPOP. It contains some of her best work to date. The problem is it also contains some of her worst.

I don't think Gaga was ever in a position to be compared to MJ at any point in her career tbh.

I never saw her as close to mj but more to Madonna. It's pretty obvious too. MJ is in a league of his own. I don't think there's anyone that can touch him. The whole, fans and audience argument is moot. Every artist has fans and a target audience but his global impact that was both good, controversial and bad. His constant fight with equality. His philanthropy. His love for people in general despite all the shit being thrown at him. The lack of childhood he had that made him such a great artist with soul that can full a whole Thanksgiving table. Let's be serious guys, Rihanna.... does not rate.

Sales is not the only thing that makes an artist but what they've done that can be remembered. Micheal has done a lot more than music that makes him invisible. Everyone in the industry has nothing but good to say about him.

Edit : Quick question though... Would Y'all have felt different if BTW was actually Artpop and Artpop was BTW? Do you think that would of been a better transition?

Trigger

Edit : Quick question though... Would Y'all have felt different if BTW was actually Artpop and Artpop was BTW? Do you think that would of been a better transition?

Both have their issues either way. If we got ARTPOP instead of BTW you'd still have people who find the whole thing pretentious and unworthy of the title.

royalan

Britney's music may be about as reliable as a floppy disc these days, but Blackout is universally praised around these parts.

Piece of Me>>>>>

Both have their issues either way. If we got ARTPOP instead of BTW you'd still have people who find the whole thing pretentious and unworthy of the title.

I don't get it. How is she all of a sudden pretentious when she was during the FameGa era? If anything, she's taking early steps to securing she understands Wtf she's taking about. I think for the lack of criticizing her for something else, pretentious is the only word that can latch on to her. I believe Artpop was a great album. Obviously not better than TFM but for a first managed album she did well. It could be worse...

cory64

The pursuit of pop perfection is as noble and rewarding as composing/performing/producing songs all by yourself.

Prince just happened to be capable of both.

Trigger

I don't get it. How is she all of a sudden pretentious when she was during the FameGa era? If anything, she's taking early steps to securing she understands Wtf she's taking about. I think for the lack of criticizing her for something else, pretentious is the only word that can latch on to her. I believe Artpop was a great album. Obviously not better than TFM but for a first managed album she did well. It could be worse...

I'm just speaking to the criticisms people have thrown at the album, not my own. My point was that those criticisms would probably still be made, and I'm not sure it would have been a better transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom