• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

dionysus

Yaldog
DigitalSoul said:
Nice thread you have here brain_stew.
Would you or anyone recommend the phenom II 720BE? I've considering all my options its cheaper for me to go the AMD route than the Intel...especially when it comes to price/performance or whatever.

AMD/ATI is currently the leader when it comes to most bang for your buck in both cpus and gpus. Intel really needs to drop the prices on its midrange stuff especially.

dionysus said:
AMD/ATI is currently the leader when it comes to most bang for your buck in both cpus and gpus. Intel really needs to drop the prices on its midrange stuff especially.

Intel is too obsessed with being at the performance leader. They've let AMD sneak in better chips in so many areas whereas Intels i7 line, whilst powerful, isn't what most PC gamers are buying.

Holy crap, here's a treat for Canada GAF, the X3 720 Black edition with with the same motherboard I specified is actually $20 cheaper than the X2 550, because of this awesome bundle:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=40294&promoid=1004

Updating the op now, you get a better processor and spend less, pretty sweet deal.

I'm able to accomodate a 4870 512MB in the Canadian build now as well, that's one hell of a seriously good deal for you lot in Canada. Updating the op now.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't get the "upgrade to keep up with current games" that I constantly hear from doubters. Recommended specs haven't even completely overtaken the 8800/9800 series yet, and that's a big deal when you think about it. Requirements are an entire generation behind GPU tech, and that gap is about to grow.

Plus the argument never factors in the price drops. By the time your card starts showing age, something more powerful will be available for less than what you originally bought it for.

K.Jack said:
I don't get the "upgrade to keep up with current games" that I constantly hear from doubters. Recommended specs haven't even completely overtaken the 8800/9800 series yet, and that's a big deal when you think about it. Requirements are an entire generation behind GPU tech, and that gap is about to grow.

Plus the argument never factors in the price drops. By the time your card starts showing age, something more powerful will be available for less than what you originally bought it for.

You can buy ATI's fastest single card for $150 today. ATI's fastest single card in 2 years should be at least 3x above it. So if spending $150 in 2 years to get a 5x+ leap in graphics power from these $500 rig sounds right for you then by all means go for it. Its not necessary but I'll be damned if its not one hell of an awesome option to have

Oh, and every time I look back I keep finding the components, I specified are going out of stock, guess quite a few people have snapped up these rigs then!! :lol

The rig for Canadian GAF is pretty much the hottest deal of all time now. Go, go go!!

brain_stew said:
I thought you said you did 3D modelling/animating work and so on? Surely a quad core is going to reap major benefits for that sort of work? Are your apps not quad optimised?

Well right now I'm only with 2D (mostly Toonboom) I'll move to 3D though. So quad-core would be better for applications even compared to a faster dual core processor?

brain_stew said:
Hmm, that same motherboard is Tech Report's favourite and is one of Newegg's highest rated. I've loved all the Gigabyte motherboards I've worked with, though the odd person is always going to have a bad experience, advice taken but I think its holding firm unless I get more negative feedback on it.

That same motherboard is the one I brought and was defective so I shipped it to the store to fix it and after 5 weeks they sent me a refurbished one back that was also defective and they wouldn't let me send it back to them again so I had to sell it (for a hefty profit as I sold it when those boards were rare). Seriously ASUS is like the only company that I've received reliable boards from.

brain_stew said:
Windows 7 game performance is on par or slightly above XP already. RAM hungry apps like Crysis will benefit because they can use more than 2GB of RAM which they can't in 32 bit XP. Plus DX 10 (and soon DX11) support is nice.

I see so while the requirements are higher that OS improve performance in gaming. I'm strongly thinking of preordering Windows 7 Professional and simply upgrading my videocard.

Haha! I'll have both Windows 7 AND Snow Leopard come this fall. OS Alliance FTW!

TheExodu5 said:
I'll be getting Windows 7 for free through MSDNAA. :D

Yay for university perks.

MSDNNA?

dionysus

Yaldog
TheHeretic said:
Intel is too obsessed with being at the performance leader. They've let AMD sneak in better chips in so many areas whereas Intels i7 line, whilst powerful, isn't what most PC gamers are buying.

Absurdly expensive, the i7 is. I was planning on building a new rig in the next couple months with an i7, but I don't know if I can justify it over a phenom ii quad black edition for $300+ less when you throw in how expensive i7 mobos are. Hell, the black i7 is freaking $1000 alone without the mobo.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well right now I'm only with 2D (mostly Toonboom) I'll move to 3D though. So quad-core would be better for applications even compared to a faster dual core processor?

That same motherboard is the one I brought and was defective so I shipped it to the store to fix it and after 5 weeks they sent me a refurbished one back that was also defective and they wouldn't let me send it back to them again so I had to sell it (for a hefty profit as I sold it when those boards were rare). Seriously ASUS is like the only company that I've received reliable boards from.

I see so while the requirements are higher that OS improve performance in gaming. I'm strongly thinking of preordering Windows 7 Professional and simply upgrading my videocard.

If your apps take advantage of quad core (which I believe the majority of apps in the 3D field do indeed do just that) then a quad will give you a serious boost in performance. It'd be my recommendation to you, personally.

brain_stew said:
If your apps take advantage of quad core (which I believe the majority of apps in the 3D field do indeed do just that) then a quad will give you a serious boost in performance. It'd be my recommendation to you, personally.

Thanks. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I'm just torn whether or not I should get that ATI card or the NVidia ATX's. I think I should NVidia's as it can output 3D (not graphics but the effects, you know that new craze where you need the glasses for) because there seems to be a lot of 3D demand in animation. It could just be a fad but I might as well get started on it, especially since I have a 120hz TV.

EDIT - Are there any cards out that support Direct X 11?

brain_stew said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

You compare a stripped down IO processor with a meagre 1MB cache and the complexity of the original Pentium processer to a modern OoO Phenom ii processor with 7MB of cache and you're telling someone else to get a clue?

:lol :lol :lol

Yes it is "blowing the doors" off Xenon, seriously you're seemingly only here to troll and with false information at that, so please take your rants elsewhere.

maybe you missed the apples to oranges comment.

i was simply drawing the most basic comparison possible, as that's all most in this thread would understand.

TheHeretic said:
How is 1680x1050 a "low res", and why would games be a jagged mess on them? You realise consoles render at or frequently below 720 right? Crysis isn't the only fucking PC game out there, it lasts for about 8 hours. A 4850 can do plenty of AA and AF depending on the game, and even then what the hell is the point of comparison? Consoles with barely any of either, or more expensive PC's?

An AMD Penom II 550 kicks the shit out of the Cell and the Xenon, you don't know what the fuck you are on about. Crysis itself only uses 1GB on my setup, few games go past that and many go under it. Just leave this thread, you are embarrassing yourself.

i never said a console cpu would outperform a phenom. please read, thanks.

dionysus said:
Not yet. AMD will release the first batch probably near the end of the year.

Hmm...I guess than I'll probably just pre-order Windows 7 now and wait until next summer to upgrade my PC. I was just worried that Windows 7 would hinder my specs instead of helping them as I assumed that the OS would take a toll on the CPU (mine's Quad Core Q6600).

Minsc

Gold Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
Thanks. I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I'm just torn whether or not I should get that ATI card or the NVidia ATX's. I think I should NVidia's as it can output 3D (not graphics but the effects, you know that new craze where you need the glasses for) because there seems to be a lot of 3D demand in animation. It could just be a fad but I might as well get started on it, especially since I have a 120hz TV.

EDIT - Are there any cards out that support Direct X 11?

Not yet, DX11 isn't out.

Also to use that 3D Vision from nVidia, you either need a CRT display, or a very specific LCD (out of the thousands of LCD screens, only a dozen are supported).

And you also really need a powerful SLI setup of two GTX 280s or higher to get the most out of it.

Minsc said:
Not yet, DX11 isn't out.

Also to use that 3D Vision from nVidia, you either need a CRT display, or a very specific LCD (out of the thousands of LCD screens, only a dozen are supported).

And you also really need a powerful SLI setup of two GTX 280s or higher to get the most out of it.

...*continues to hope that 3D is just a gimmick and fad*

$1000 CAD setup is done now, it looks very nice indeed and came in under budget.

I'll add the $800/£600/$1000CAD rigs to the op soon. They're awesome value.

dionysus said:
Absurdly expensive, the i7 is. I was planning on building a new rig in the next couple months with an i7, but I don't know if I can justify it over a phenom ii quad black edition for $300+ less when you throw in how expensive i7 mobos are. Hell, the black i7 is freaking $1000 alone without the mobo.
The higher-end i7s are pretty badly overpriced, I'd agree. And the motherboards are still pretty pricey.

But the i7 920 is actually a pretty good deal when you compare its performance to other CPUs in the same price range. It'd be easily worth the $35 over a PhII X4 955 if all else was equal, but the motherboard prices make it a little less appealing. I think I'd still favor the i7 though, especially when you consider overclocking potential.

rohlfinator said:
The higher-end i7s are pretty badly overpriced, I'd agree. And the motherboards are still pretty pricey.

But the i7 920 is actually a pretty good deal when you compare its performance to other CPUs in the same price range. It'd be easily worth the $35 over a PhII X4 955 if all else was equal, but the motherboard prices make it a little less appealing.

The price premium you pay for an i7 rig is absolutely worth it if you've got that sort of money sto spend and demand such incredible multi threaded performance. The problem is, most just don't have the budget and demands to match up. Its a bad use of funds for most gamers for instance, where a much cheaper 3ghz 940 rig will serve them just fine and their money is better off put into a GPU upgrade.

The unlocked multi and decent headroom of that 940 mean you can easily get a nice performance boost out of it if you so please as well.

Edit:

Look what I found through Google:

http://www.albumgrab.com/computer-technology/48511-ultimate-500-375-budget-gaming-rigs.html

:lol

Which one of you lot is impersonating me? I'm more than happy for people to spread this around the web but at least link back to GAF will you?

I still can't believe that the E8400 is still $167, especially now that AMD offers better performance at a lower price. That and the i7 920 and 940 apparently are worse for HL2 than the E8400 based on the benchmarks you posted.

brain_stew said:
The price premium you pay for an i7 rig is absolutely worth it if you've got that sort of money sto spend and demand such incredible multi threaded performance. The problem is, most just don't have the budget and demands to match up. Its a bad use of funds for most gamers for instance, where a much cheaper 3ghz 940 rig will serve them just fine and their money is better off put into a GPU upgrade.

The unlocked multi and decent headroom of that 940 mean you can easily get a nice performance boost out of it if you so please as well.
Yeah, I'd agree that it's not such a good buy for a mainly gaming-focused PC, unless you play a lot of very CPU-heavy games.

But in terms of price/performance ratio, the 920 really isn't a bad deal at all, as opposed to something like the i7-975 which probably doesn't justify the price even if you could take full advantage of it.

Zoc

How do AMD/ATI CPU and GPUs rate for use as a Hackintosh? My Mac Mini is falling apart, and I'd love to build a dual-use Windows game box to replace it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zoc said:
How do AMD/ATI CPU and GPUs rate for use as a Hackintosh? My Mac Mini is falling apart, and I'd love to build a dual-use Windows game box to replace it.
Intel + nVidia is much better supported afaik.

kbear said:
when installing these games, do you have to put the disc in to play or can you just play from the hard drive and switch seamlessly etc?

Thats the thing about using a computer as an HTPC... as a 4th console, it works the way you want it to work. It's the most customizable console you'll ever experience. Every single feature from any other console that you want is there for you to use, and how you want to use it is up to you.

I installed no-cd cracks on all my games so they load up at the touch of a button. But if I wanted, I could have left them as-is and had to pop in a CD every time I want to play. It's my choice.

rohlfinator said:
Yeah, I'd agree that it's not such a good buy for a mainly gaming-focused PC, unless you play a lot of very CPU-heavy games.

But in terms of price/performance ratio, the 920 really isn't a bad deal at all,
as opposed to something like the i7-975 which probably doesn't justify the price even if you could take full advantage of it.

Yup, totally agree.

TheSonicRetard said:
Thats the thing about using a computer as an HTPC... as a 4th console, it works the way you want it to work. It's the most customizable console you'll ever experience. Every single feature from any other console that you want is there for you to use, and how you want to use it is up to you.

I installed no-cd cracks on all my games so they load up at the touch of a button. But if I wanted, I could have left them as-is and had to pop in a CD every time I want to play. It's my choice.

Another thing people overlook is universal peripheral support. I've got a lovely keyboard Logitech MX518 mouse, Saturn USB pad, 360 controller and Logitech Driving Force Pro all hooked upto my rig, and I don't have to worry about compatibility. I choose the best controller for the job and enjoy the bliss of perfect controls for every game and every mood. T'is sweet.

I definitely commend Sony for their efforts in this area, it just a shame most developers haven't risen to the challenge. The great thing about the PC is that even if the developer of you game hasn't written in support of your device, you can be damn sure someone in the community has. I love being in control of stuff like this.

TheSonicRetard said:
It's always funny when you find a thread you've made parroted on another site.

Well I've never experienced it before, but its happened 2 times in one week now. Must be doing something right.

Ryu

I'm curious, how easy is it to go ahead and overlock a CPU/mobo/et al? Does it require anything extra to purchase aside from say a better than stock cooling option for the CPU? Is it all done in software? I've always been curious about this but wouldn't even know where to begin for research. Also, does it affect the CPU's life span? Most people replace their systems entirely about every 5 years, but I am still curious.

brain_stew said:
Another thing people overlook is universal peripheral support. I've got a lovely keyboard Logitech MX518 mouse, Saturn USB pad, 360 controller and Logitech Driving Force Pro all hooked upto my rig, and I don't have to worry about compatibility. I choose the best controller for the job and enjoy the bliss of perfect controls for every game and every mood. T'is sweet.

Even better is that every game has completely customizable controls if you're using a program like xpadder or pinnacle profiler. Completely customizable. Want to map the camera to the left stick, actions to the right stick, and movement to the face buttons? Doable. Want to play a game that was made for a gamepad in mind with a keyboard and mouse? Doable? Want to play a game with NO gamepad support with a 360 or PS3 controller? Doable.

You can control games ANY way you'd like.

Ryu said:
I'm curious, how easy is it to go ahead and overlock a CPU/mobo/et al? Does it require anything extra to purchase aside from say a better than stock cooling option for the CPU? Is it all done in software? I've always been curious about this but wouldn't even know where to begin for research. Also, does it affect the CPU's life span? Most people replace their systems entirely about every 5 years, but I am still curious.
Some motherboards are better at overclocking than others, so you can't cheap out too much on that. And an overclocked CPU consumes more power, so depending on your situation you might need to upgrade your power supply.

As for the life span issue... in theory it can cause problems, but I think your CPU will last longer than you need it to even when overclocked. From what I understand, the increased heat is what hurts the CPU more than the act of overclocking itself, so if you have a good cooler and keep an eye on temperatures you should be fine.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ryu said:
A stable OC shouldn't damage a CPU, it'll probably be running cooler than it would with a stock fan anyway. Essentially OCing is just messing around with the FSB and multipliers in your BIOS, running Prime95 or whatever for a few hours, and you just repeat the process. Then once you get a stable OC, you look into dropping your voltage so you generate less heat, it's one of those things that you think is going to be difficult but really isn't.

Personally I'd never run a CPU on a stock cooler, they tend to be pretty awful, and the difference in temps between a stock and aftermarket is huge (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ight-true-black-120-cpu-cooler-review-7.html).

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17612922 explains OCing a little more.

zbarron

brain_stew said:

Edit:

Look what I found through Google:

http://www.albumgrab.com/computer-technology/48511-ultimate-500-375-budget-gaming-rigs.html

:lol

Which one of you lot is impersonating me? I'm more than happy for people to spread this around the web but at least link back to GAF will you?
Yeah. I got an i7 rig because I needed a new CPU. I found a deal for an i7 920 for $200 and I figured it would be silly to spend that much on an outdated socket 775 CPU. Needless to say I spent more than I should have all said and done and now I'm thinking of getting into video encoding and stuff just to get some use out of it. :lol

Nice link. That's two major threads in a row, right? No wonder the parts keep going out of stock. This is bigger than GAF. :lol

The blatant copy and paste is even more obvious with the unintentional smiles when you put in ":p"

Ryu said:

Its much easier than you'd ever imagine, and all done through the BIOS. It can be a little scary at first but you'll sharp get the hang of it, just do your reading beforehand and take it slow.

www.overclock.net is a great place to get advice.

brain_stew said:
Really!? What games are you playing that's stressing it so much? It copes with Crysis fine @ 720p, and I don't know of anything else that will stress it more than that. Ofcourse its never going to handle 1080p and above well, but then it never did when it was released and it wasn't designed to target resolutions like that.
I have a 320mb card, so I need to turn the textures down almost all the way IIRC so that it doesn't stutter. Fallout 3 did look better than 360 but when going into VATS there would be huge pauses (and I still wouldn't put detail up on *everything*). That's the last PC game I played if you don't count Braid or Plants vs. Zombies. Waiting on StarCraft 2 here.

edit: actually I forgot about Far Cry 2. Thats another game where sometimes the game would just pause for long periods of time due to the lack of memory.

The $500 GAF gaming rig really is an excellent buy for any budget gamer, it'll do precisely what its advertised for, and that's deliver a great gaming experience in every game at mainstream resolutions. Quite a lot of people were asking where to spend a little extra cash, and I'm a firm believer that you should aim to create a balanced rig so tacking on parts to the $500 build (outside of the 1080p gamer upgrade) may not be the best idea.

However, if you've got a little more money to play with, you can definitely make some very interesting upgrades, and as such I've specified a range of rigs that I feel hits the next "sweet spot" of price and performance. You're going to be getting full speedy quad cores for your money here, coupled with PSUs and cases that leave breathing room for future upgrades, so they should last you through many builds. You're also getting a 1080p spec. DX10.1 GPU of course, as well as nicer motherboards that are a bit more tailored to overclocking and future upgrades which is why they have Crossfire capabilities built in.

It is important to note that any money spent past this point will throw the idea of getting a good "bang for your buck" gamer rig out of the window.
After this point you're entering territory where the in game gains are increasingly less noticeable and the costs start to spiral out of control. Core i7 CPUs are an incredible step forward for heavy video encoders and 3D modellers and the like but as it stands their ingame benefit is marginal at best. There's not much evidence on the horizon that I feel suggest this will change in the short-medium term future. If you're interested in perusing 2560x1600 resolution gaming or Nvidia's 3D vision then by all means make the step up, but those are the only two immediate examples I can think of that offer any forthright advantages. For all intents and purposes you're sat in the top tier of the gaming tree with one of these reasonably priced machines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US GAF'S ULTIMATE $800 HIGH-END GAMING RIG

[Motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
[CPU (Phenom ii 940)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
[RAM (G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231241
[GPU (HIS HD 4890 1GB)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276
[HDD (WD Caviar Black 640GB))]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
[DVD (22X Samsung DVDRW)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171
[CASE/PSU (Antec Sonata Elite + Antec TruePower 650w 80+ certified PSU)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.195794
[CPU Cooler (Xigmatek 120mm rifle cooler)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

*(Use discount code: MBSALE10)*

Total Cost = $810.48 + $30 worth of rebates.

Component pictures:

330y3qo.jpg

ohjllk.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK GAF'S ULTIMATE £650 HIGH-END GAMING RIG

[Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160854
[CPU (Phenom ii 940)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155714/show_product_overview
[RAM (OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 1066)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149202
[GPU (ASUS HD 4890 1GB)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161725
[HDD (WD Caviar Black 640GB)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150247
[DVD (22x Samsung DVDRW)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145450
[CASE (ANTEC 300)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143854
[PSU (Corsair 550W VX): http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563
[CPU COOLER (Akasa Nero)]: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152658

Total cost = £650.32 delivered

Component pictures:

15mn539.jpg

2ry3r05.jpg

2mchxqh.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANADIAN GAF'S ULTIMATE $1000 CAD HIGH END GAMING RIG

[Motherboard (Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=36856
[CPU (Phenom ii 940)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35467
[RAM (G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28306&promoid=1042
[GPU (XFX HD 4890 XT 1GB)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37431&promoid=1042
[HDD (WD Caviar Black 640GB)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34286&promoid=1042
[DVD (Samsung 22x DVDRW)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38115
[CASE (Coolermaster CM 690)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26048
[PSU (Antec Earthwatts 650W 80+ Certified)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30037
[CPU COOLER (OCZ Vanquisher)]: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26163&promoid=1042#ProductDetails

Total cost = $996.75

Component pictures:

2v80f0g.jpg

wwf3th.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These charts should help illustrate the sort of performance you can get from these machines in resolutions above 1080p:

nvzjmg.jpg

24v8wea.png

2u9ljm1.png

infinityBCRT said:
I have a 320mb card, so I need to turn the textures down almost all the way IIRC so that it doesn't stutter. Fallout 3 did look better than 360 but when going into VATS there would be huge pauses (and I still wouldn't put detail up on *everything*). That's the last PC game I played if you don't count Braid or Plants vs. Zombies. Waiting on StarCraft 2 here.

edit: actually I forgot about Far Cry 2. Thats another game where sometimes the game would just pause for long periods of time due to the lack of memory.

That happened to me too. But after I upped my RAM from 2- 4 gigs, the stuttering no longer occured.

yanhero

I would just like to add that if you pay NCIX the $50 to build your pc, they do an amazing job with cable management.

yanhero said:
I would just like to add that if you pay NCIX the $50 to build your pc, they do an amazing job with cable management.

Its a really nice option to have.

So what's the thoughts on my high end configs then? I reckon they're pretty spiffy machines for the money you're paying. Some excellent components in there.

Ryu

brain_stew said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US GAF'S ULTIMATE $800 HIGH-END GAMING RIG

[Motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387
[CPU (Phenom ii 940)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
[RAM (G.Skill 4GB DDR2 1066)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231241
[GPU (XFX HD 4890)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359
[HDD (WD Caviar Black 640GB))]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
[DVD (22X Samsung DVDRW)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151171
[CASE/PSU (Antec Sonata Elite + Antec TruePower 650w 80+ certified PSU)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.195794
[CPU Cooler (Rosewill 92mm Triple Heatpipe)]: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200036

*(Use discount code: VGASALE10)*

Total Cost = $808.87

Can you recommend a cooling solution for the CPU? Also, aside from a new CPU fan, would you recommend additional case fans or just use the stock suggested here?

Ryu said:
Can you recommend a cooling solution for the CPU? Also, aside from a new CPU fan, would you recommend additional case fans or just use the stock suggested here?

Already one included in the cost. There's plenty of better high end models but on a budget that little thing is great. I've got the Intel version under a different brand name and it works a treat.

Should manage 3.6ghz+ easily I'd imagine.

dionysus said:
Not yet. AMD will release the first batch probably near the end of the year.

amd has working silicon as they showcased it. that doesn't put them in a better position to release than nvidia, though.

chip yields on the 40nm process are less than %30. those are rumours reported on the nvidia side of things, though this would affect both vendors.

Top Bottom