• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

3rdman

This thread came at the perfect time for me! I'm looking to upgrade my PC and use the new one as a Media Server. Aside from that, I wanted to have the ability to run the newest games as well so this is great!

My cost will jump radically though once I start adding HDDs and a larger case. Thank you!

Cheeto

Binabik15 said:
How big is the difference between a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, a HIS Radeon 4850 and a XFX card? *head explodes*
Not much, if any difference at all. ATI releases a reference spec, and those manufactures build off that, so there is little difference between them.

Binabik15 said:
Aaah, I´m looking over the parts for my brother and that´s what I hated about building my first (and last) pc 7 years ago:

You read about what you should get, go to the store and there are at least a dozen things with the same name your search turns up or extremly similiar.

How to you guys keep up with the difference between cards, I can´t even really wrap my head around the models in the same series from the same manufatcurer :lol

How big is the difference between a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, a HIS Radeon 4850 and a XFX card? *head explodes*

There isn't much of a difference between a Sapphire, a HIS, or a XFX card. One doesn't necessarily perform better than another. The differences are more related to warranty and the quality of the parts used.

vazel

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Aaah, I´m looking over the parts for my brother and that´s what I hated about building my first (and last) pc 7 years ago:

You read about what you should get, go to the store and there are at least a dozen things with the same name your search turns up or extremly similiar.

How to you guys keep up with the difference between cards, I can´t even really wrap my head around the models in the same series from the same manufatcurer :lol

Heatsink/fan is the only important difference between brands. If you're going to get a 4850 I highly recommend the XFX they make the quietest ones.

Daante said:
You should be able to get the INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.0GHZ 6MB 1333MHZ S-775, for a very affordable price these days i think. Though i havent touched it or thinked of overclock it i have seen people who easily have it up over 3,5GHZ and running smooth :)

Basically it has eaten everything i have trown at it so far, gonna do some more tests this weekend :)

Its price has pretty much held firm, its a really bad buy these days. The ii 550 specified here is basically the same at stock, but comes on a more future proof platform, with easier OCing through its unlocked multi and the off chance of unlocking an extra core or two, all for $65 less.

vazel said:
Heatsink/fan is the only important difference between brands. If you're going to get a 4850 I highly recommend the XFX they make the quietest ones.

Yeah that XFX card on Newegg is a great deal, the awesome cooler and double lifetime warranty make it worth the small premium. Infact I'm going to switch out the GPU in the op to it now, it'll be $10 over budget before rebate but still remain under after rebate so that seems fair enough to me.

Edit: I've got to now, the old GPU I specified has sold out! Has this post sold a load of those cards or something! :lol :lol

Edit 2: If I have the time later on today, I'm going to apend a set of $800/£500 rigs. These machines are great if you're on a tight budget but if you've got a little more cash to play with I'd recommend a different set of components, personally.

Are there any boards and CPU's out there that can run 8GB of RAM yet?

Anyway is it just me or is Devil May Cry 4 (PC) seems to have performed much better over time? The game was considered a bomb like a month after release now many PC gamers have it and its nearly a forerunner for high end PC benchmarks.

Bananimus said:
HDMI is most likely a preferable alternative to VGA at this point. Any modern video card should be able to do HDMI (by way of DVI, usually).

I prefer VGA but that's just me.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Are there any boards and CPU's out there that can run 8GB of RAM yet?

Anyway is it just me or is Devil May Cry 4 (PC) seems to have performed much better over time? The game was considered a bomb like a month after release now many PC gamers have it and its nearly a forerunner for high end PC benchmarks.

Any decent modern motherboard will support 8GB of RAM, all the ones I chose in my op do for instance.

PC games always have a longer product lifespan. The fact that the original Starcraft can still remain in the top 10 sales charts after 10 years should tell you that.

People catch up on games when they update their rigs, and there's massive distribution of old games both online and at retail. Its a totally different playing field to the $60 and huge week 1 sales or bust landscape of the PS3 and 360, and always has been.

brain_stew said:
Any decent modern motherboard will support 8GB of RAM, all the ones I chose in my op do for instance.

PC games always have a longer product lifespan. The fact that the original Starcraft can still remain in the top 10 sales charts after 10 years should tell you that.

People catch up on games when they update their rigs, and there's massive distribution of old games both online and at retail. Its a totally different playing field to the $60 and huge week 1 sales or bust landscape of the PS3 and 360, and always has been.

I gotta an ASUS P5K Pro, seems that it will get the job done. I guess I can just upgrade my CPU to the most powerful Core2 processor (seems that it can easily compete with even the i7's). Than again the next wave of processors will be out by next year, than again will I really need THAT powerful of components? I don't recall animating taking up too much CPU and CPU requirements in gaming are usually very low, especially now since it seems that games are starting to plateau in that department.

EDIT - I assume those CPU's can handle 8GB of RAM correct?

And yeah I'm happy that DMC4 is doing so well. Truly an amazing game both gameplay wise, graphically, and especially optimization. Capcom should be very proud of themselves. I really hope these consoles to well optimized PC ports become standard.

And yeah it seems that those consoles and the PC are at the total opposite ends of sales trends while Nintendo seems to be in the middle.

brain_stew said:
Damn, that is one awesome setup you've got there, it really is a "super console." Go ahead and create a thread on the topic, I'll link it from here, I'm interested to see the results myself.

I can join this party, I just built a budget gaming rig for expressly this purpose (that is, hooking it up to the TV and using it as a console, since I have no need for an actual windows PC) and came in within like $50 of this thread's goal after some smart shopping. :D

Flying_Phoenix said:
I gotta an ASUS P5K Pro, seems that it will get the job done. I guess I can just upgrade my CPU to the most powerful Core2 processor (seems that it can easily compete with even the i7's). Than again the next wave of processors will be out by next year, than again will I really need THAT powerful of components? I don't recall animating taking up too much CPU and CPU requirements in gaming are usually very low, especially now since it seems that games are starting to plateau in that department.

EDIT - I assume those CPU's can handle 8GB of RAM correct?

And yeah I'm happy that DMC4 is doing so well. Truly an amazing game both gameplay wise, graphically, and especially optimization. Capcom should be very proud of themselves. I really hope these consoles to well optimized PC ports become standard.

And yeah it seems that those consoles and the PC are at the total opposite ends of sales trends while Nintendo seems to be in the middle.

A P5K will take 8 gigs just fine in a 4x2GB configuration, it'll only be $72 after rebate if you use the OCZ SLI stuff I picked out as well.

The Q9550 can still cut it with the best of them, and at $220, its a pretty decent buy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

So considering you've already got a motherbaord that's your RAM and CPU sorted for less than $300 without any compromises in performance, pretty good deal if you ask me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cheeto said:
What would be the point of running a 32-bit OS right now?

I went down that road of "better compatibility" once before, and had to admit I was wrong after getting ripped apart, tread lightly :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Guess it's relevant here as well, given all the OS price talk, but Windows 7 is going to be the same price as Vista. Actually a little cheaper for the home edition ($10 savings for the upgrade, $40 savings for retail).

There's a ton of information about upgrading (from Vista & XP) in that link too.

Edit:

There's also a special pre-order sale directly from Microsoft, for a savings of ~50% ($50 home upgrade, $100 retail professional). I'm not sure if we'll see lower prices, but I'm sure through schools and whatnot you will. Weird that they don't want to sell a professional upgrade pre-order for like $65 or something.

Looks like my stealth edit was a bit late! I guess the pricing is pretty decent then.

Minsc said:
Guess it's relevant here as well, given all the OS price talk, but Windows 7 is going to be the same price as Vista. Actually a little cheaper for the home edition ($10 savings for the upgrade, $40 savings for retail).

There's a ton of information about upgrading (from Vista & XP) in that link too.
Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take for my school to get Windows 7 Licenses through either it's Computer Store or through MSDNAA.

Minsc said:

Even better, for a limited time you can pre-order from certain retailers for 50% off.

CAG link:
The program kicks off tomorrow, June 26, in the United States, Canada, and Japan. It’s scheduled to end July 11 in the U.S. and Canada and on July 5 in Japan—”or while supplies last,” Microsoft notes.
* The discount is 50% or more over the normal estimated retail price (ERP) of the two mainstream consumer editions. In the United States, you’ll be able to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $50 or get Windows 7 Professional for $100. Outside the U.S., Microsoft says, “the special low pre-order price will vary by country.”
* The offer is available online at Best Buy and Amazon.com. The online Microsoft Store will match these discounted prices instead of sticking with the full list price.

Note: yeah, I submitted the CAG link, but I read through this thread this morning and remembered people asking about an OS. $50 for Win7 Premium is a darn good price.

I'm putting together my $800 choice now and I'm really excited with what I've managed. The best part is that its got components that will last you many upgrades, the PSU is not only efficent, but its 4 22a+ 12v rails will power two 4890s if you feel you want to do that later on and the motherboard has two full PCIex16 slots to accomodate that.

You've also got a top of the line quad core and GPU for your money and I've thrown in a really great little budget CPU cooler so things stay cool and quiet. That black edition CPU with its unlocked multiplier makes overclocking a breeze and coupled with the new cooler an OC to 3.6ghz-4ghz will be child's play.

What do you lot think?

4t2ec5.jpg

infinityBCRT said:
But the question is how long will this PC be ultimate? 5 years? 3? 2?

Considering the 8800 GT is 2 years old now and it still does a great job @ 1600x1200, it's not as bad as you think. There's always going to be better upgrades but your rig won't be obsolete for awhile especially since most developers need to optimize for consoles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
brain_stew:
Do you currently have a desktop? Does it have a DVD-RW drive?

If so, don't bother buying a new one. Poach your old one!

vazel

Banned
LoveAndBeer said:
Even better, for a limited time you can pre-order from certain retailers for 50% off.

CAG link:
The program kicks off tomorrow, June 26, in the United States, Canada, and Japan. It’s scheduled to end July 11 in the U.S. and Canada and on July 5 in Japan—”or while supplies last,” Microsoft notes.
* The discount is 50% or more over the normal estimated retail price (ERP) of the two mainstream consumer editions. In the United States, you’ll be able to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $50 or get Windows 7 Professional for $100. Outside the U.S., Microsoft says, “the special low pre-order price will vary by country.”
* The offer is available online at Best Buy and Amazon.com. The online Microsoft Store will match these discounted prices instead of sticking with the full list price.

Note: yeah, I submitted the CAG link, but I read through this thread this morning and remembered people asking about an OS. $50 for Win7 Premium is a darn good price.
$50 is an awesome deal.

brain_stew said:
Yeah that XFX card on Newegg is a great deal, the awesome cooler and double lifetime warranty make it worth the small premium. Infact I'm going to switch out the GPU in the op to it now, it'll be $10 over budget before rebate but still remain under after rebate so that seems fair enough to me.

Edit: I've got to now, the old GPU I specified has sold out! Has this post sold a load of those cards or something! :lol :lol

Edit 2: If I have the time later on today, I'm going to apend a set of $800/£500 rigs. These machines are great if you're on a tight budget but if you've got a little more cash to play with I'd recommend a different set of components, personally.

Seriously man you have started a movement! I emailed a few of my latest screenshots to the "xbots" at work and now 2 people asking me about building a gaming PC! I sent them the info from this thread. You might have started the Super Console movement! :lol

brain_stew said:
A P5K will take 8 gigs just fine in a 4x2GB configuration, it'll only be $72 after rebate if you use the OCZ SLI stuff I picked out as well.

The Q9550 can still cut it with the best of them, and at $220, its a pretty decent buy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

So considering you've already got a motherbaord that's your RAM and CPU sorted for less than $300 without any compromises in performance, pretty good deal if you ask me.

I think I'll get a E8600 as it seems to be more powerful and gets better performance. Do you think it will still be a "high-end" processor come this time next year?

Stumpokapow said:
What would be the point of putting 8 gigs of ram into a 32-bit machine, though?

Windows 7 64-Bit Edition is something I will include in my purchase.

brain_stew said:
I'm putting together my $800 choice now and I'm really excited with what I've managed. The best part is that its got components that will last you many upgrades, the PSU is not only efficent, but its 4 22a+ 12v rails will power two 4890s if you feel you want to do that later on and the motherboard has two full PCIex16 slots to accomodate that.

You've also got a top of the line quad core and GPU for your money and I've thrown in a really great little budget CPU cooler so things stay cool and quiet. That black edition CPU with its unlocked multiplier makes overclocking a breeze and coupled with the new cooler an OC to 3.6ghz-4ghz will be child's play.

What do you lot think?

4t2ec5.jpg

I have had a HORRIBLE experience with that Gigabyte motherboard.

pr0cs said:
dunno if anyone posted this yet.
Windows 7 preorder, get the OS for 1/2 price.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

HOLY SHIT!

Maybe my PC upgrade could come earlier?

Kind of a dumb question but would switching to Windows 7 from XP improve me gaming performance or hamper it?

Javaman

Minsc said:

Edit:

There's also a special pre-order sale directly from Microsoft, for a savings of ~50% ($50 home upgrade, $100 retail professional). I'm not sure if we'll see lower prices, but I'm sure through schools and whatnot you will. Weird that they don't want to sell a professional upgrade pre-order for like $65 or something.

Looks like my stealth edit was a bit late! I guess the pricing is pretty decent then.

Pre-order Win7 premium for $50? That's a pretty sweet deal.

Daante

brain_stew said:
Its price has pretty much held firm, its a really bad buy these days. The ii 550 specified here is basically the same at stock, but comes on a more future proof platform, with easier OCing through its unlocked multi and the off chance of unlocking an extra core or two, all for $65 less.

Good correction, i just thought since i bought my rig a year ago that the price had gone down a bit, i guess the ii 550 is a much better choice then :)

nubbe

super console? what kind of crap is that?

CONSOLE GAMING IS DEAD

good PC for $500 or awesome PC for $600
PC4Ever

Stumpokapow said:
brain_stew:
Do you currently have a desktop? Does it have a DVD-RW drive?

If so, don't bother buying a new one. Poach your old one!

I have a BD/DVDRW combi! :D

Ha, these rigs aren't for me but most people's old DVD drives will be IDE based so it makes sense to get a nice new SATA drive to get rid of the ugly cables, when you consider how cheap they are.

You bring up a great point though, harvesting parts is an excellent thing to, and can save you a fortune. I made a poin to spec. out all these PCs with solid, high quality and reliable motherboards, PSUs, HDDs and cases, so that you've got a great foundation to build upon in the future. All those parts could last you through several upgrades/builds, no need to chuck them out.

This is why building your own, makes so much sense as if you buy a PC from Dell or HP, 9 times out of 10, you're going to have to start from scratch when it comes to upgrade time, that's not the case with these builds. All for $500 as well, that's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I think I'll get a E8600 as it seems to be more powerful and gets better performance. Do you think it will still be a "high-end" processor come this time next year?

Windows 7 64-Bit Edition is something I will include in my purchase.

I have had a HORRIBLE experience with that Gigabyte motherboard.

HOLY SHIT!

Maybe my PC upgrade could come earlier?

Kind of a dumb question but would switching to Windows 7 from XP improve me gaming performance or hamper it?

I thought you said you did 3D modelling/animating work and so on? Surely a quad core is going to reap major benefits for that sort of work? Are your apps not quad optimised?

Hmm, that same motherboard is Tech Report's favourite and is one of Newegg's highest rated. I've loved all the Gigabyte motherboards I've worked with, though the odd person is always going to have a bad experience, advice taken but I think its holding firm unless I get more negative feedback on it.

Windows 7 game performance is on par or slightly above XP already. RAM hungry apps like Crysis will benefit because they can use more than 2GB of RAM which they can't in 32 bit XP. Plus DX 10 (and soon DX11) support is nice.

Gully State said:
Considering the 8800 GT is 2 years old now and it still does a great job @ 1600x1200, it's not as bad as you think. There's always going to be better upgrades but your rig won't be obsolete for awhile especially since most developers need to optimize for consoles.
I still have my 8800 but its getting long in the tooth. Its only fair to say hey "this is so cheap" if you also mention what the upgrades costs would be every "X" years as well to keep it up to date with current games. Over a 5 year span you'd have to upgrade the video card at least once if not the CPU and RAM as well.

infinityBCRT said:
I still have my 8800 but its getting long in the tooth. Its only fair to say hey "this is so cheap" if you also mention what the upgrades costs would be every "X" years as well to keep it up to date with current games. Over a 5 year span you'd have to upgrade the video card at least once if not the CPU and RAM as well.

Really!? What games are you playing that's stressing it so much? It copes with Crysis fine @ 720p, and I don't know of anything else that will stress it more than that. Ofcourse its never going to handle 1080p and above well, but then it never did when it was released and it wasn't designed to target resolutions like that.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
Really!? What games are you playing that's stressing it so much? It copes with Crysis fine @ 720p, and I don't know of anything else that will stress it more than that. Ofcourse its never going to handle 1080p and above well, but then it never did when it was released and it wasn't designed to target resolutions like that.

Mine on E:TW. I play at 1680*1050

TheExodu5

Banned
infinityBCRT said:

Well, we really don't know that's the case. Other than the rare Crysis, ETW or Arma 2 games, most games won't really jump up in terms of hardware requirements since we're stuck with console generational games for the most part. A PC like this should still be current enough to manage all console games, without a problem, at much higher settings and with better performance.

I still would upgrade cards after 2 years or so since you get tremendous performance increases for a relatively small price.

Doytch said:
Mine on E:TW. I play at 1680*1050

Really, I always found ET:QW very light on the GPU, use to play it with my 8800GT just fine. You can't expect a constant 60fps in every game with maxed out resolution/AA/settings and the like but it will still give a great experience with high settings in any game on the market.

kodt

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:

I recent benchmark test shows Vista to have the best performance in games right now. Since both Xp and Windows 7 use less resources than Vista this must be because of driver optimization. I don't think going from Xp to Win7 is going to do much either way, once drivers are more optimized for Win7 it will probably be the best option.

Cheeto

infinityBCRT said:
Why? Games won't look worse over time if you don't upgrade.

Cheeto said:

I think most people forget this. Today's high settings are tomorrow's medium settings. Games don't start looking worse on your hardware just because more expensive hardware can produce better visuals, PC games have scalable graphics for a reason. If you're happy with graphics on a par with high settings in Crysis for five years then thee's no reason this rig shouldn't last you that amount of times.

Doytch

brain_stew said:
Really, I always found ET:QW very light on the GPU, use to play it with my 8800GT just fine. You can't expect a constant 60fps in every game with maxed out resolution/AA/settings and the like but it will still give a great experience with high settings in any game on the market.

Empire: Total War, not Quake Wars

tokkun

Javaman said:
Pre-order Win7 premium for $50? That's a pretty sweet deal.

Unless money is really tight, I would recommend against buying upgrade versions. It makes it a big hassle any time you need to re-install the OS, since you will need to install Vista first, and if you lose that Vista install disc, you are screwed. And every OS I've used - be it Windows, Linux, or OSX - has required a re-install at some point.

Cheeto said:

I think the point is that there is some sort of implied comparison of the cost of a PC to the cost of a console in this thread. For example, if you buy a PS3, you will never need to pay more to upgrade its GPU to play the latest PS3 games (waggle wands aside).

In a sense it's a fair point, in that I find that I upgrade my video card a lot more frequently than the distance between console generations. On the other hand, those upgrades also improve the resolution and framerate of older games - something that I would gladly pay to do with my PS2.

dionysus

Yaldog
Cheeto said:

PC gaming is as expensive as you make it. I could spend 1k every year on new components, or I could spend $500 over 5 years and still be considered a primary pc gamer.

That being said, it is a more expensive hobby than console gaming unless you buy enough games that the cheaper prices counterbalance the more expensive hardware.

I spend on average $500 a year.

And I will definitely be getting win7 with that preorder. I just hope I can change my address after I preorder.

Cheeto

tokkun said:
I think the point is that there is some sort of implied comparison of the cost of a PC to the cost of a console in this thread. For example, if you buy a PS3, you will never need to pay more to upgrade its GPU to play the latest PS3 games (waggle wands aside).
Sure, and if you buy a $500 PC today, and enjoy today's graphics... and you'll also never have to upgrade anything as long as you are content with that level of fidelity.

tokkun said:
Unless money is really tight, I would recommend against buying upgrade versions. It makes it a big hassle any time you need to re-install the OS, since you will need to install Vista first, and if you lose that Vista install disc, you are screwed. And every OS I've used - be it Windows, Linux, or OSX - has required a re-install at some point.

If its anything like Vista and XP before it you'll be able to upgrade from your upgrade disc so to speak. Just don't enter your key the first time, then hey presto you've got a trial version to install from. Can't confirm this'll work with 7 but always has in the past, and it absolutely should work as an upgrade from the RC anyway with a little fiddling.

I've finished the UK, £600 rig now (to go with the $800 US one), looking good, just got to do the Canadian one now aiming for $1000 if I can.

tokkun

brain_stew said:
I think most people forget this. Today's high settings are tomorrow's medium settings. Games don't start looking worse on your hardware just because more expensive hardware can produce better visuals, PC games have scalable graphics for a reason. If you're happy with graphics on a par with high settings in Crysis for five years then thee's no reason this rig shouldn't last you that amount of times.

I'm not sure that I feel that confident in the driver support for my card over a 5-year period. Sure, you may still get driver packages released via unified drivers, but ATI/Nvidia often do not incorporate game-specific fixes and optimizations for older product lines and slower support for new Operating Systems (for example if you had an ATI card from 5 years ago, there are no Windows 7 drivers available).

Cheeto

tokkun said:
I'm not sure that I feel that confident in the driver support for my card over a 5-year period. Sure, you may still get driver packages released via unified drivers, but ATI/Nvidia often do not incorporate game-specific fixes and optimizations for older product lines and slower support for new Operating Systems (for example if you had an ATI card from 5 years ago, there are no Windows 7 drivers available).
Why would you bother with Windows 7 on a 5-year old PC?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Its nice to see that AMD hardware gets so much love.. their PhenomII stuff is really worth the price.. the same with the ATi stuff..

mmm, could be nice to have a big computer at home, and a nice netbook thingy when travelling..

great thread brain_stew.. thanks for the tips

Nice thread you have here brain_stew.
Would you or anyone recommend the phenom II 720BE? I've considering all my options its cheaper for me to go the AMD route than the Intel...especially when it comes to price/performance or whatever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DigitalSoul said:
Nice thread you have here brain_stew.
Would you or anyone recommend the phenom II 720BE? I've considering all my options its cheaper for me to go the AMD route than the Intel...especially when it comes to price/performance or whatever.
Solid upgrade to the comp along with a 4890

Top Bottom