• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Jombie

Cersei is the one person that can either make this whole thing go smoothly or go up in the flames. It'll probably go up in flames and then Dany will go ham.

All my friends are dead.

I don't know why any of the characters, especially Tyrion, would expect Cersei to do something for anyone but her self. All of them chilling in KL is dumber than Jon and the gang going out for the wight.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't know why any of the characters, especially Tyrion, would expect Cersei to do something for anyone but her self. All of them chilling in KL is dumber than Jon and the gang going out for the wight.

To be fair, they're probably make going in there with a nuke strap to their chest, so if they do anything to Dany or Jon, the dragons will murder all of them. It's mutual assured destruction and I don't think Cersei hates Jon or Dany enough to kill them while killing herself, maybe if it was one of the people who killed her sons and daughter, but she's more level headed when it doesn't involve her children.

Winter is the worst

aQiFeRjl.jpg
fgm2awvl.png

jS8qcnKl.jpg

Dany looked dumb in that.
Missandei looked nice tho.
They're both hotter in their winter suits imo.

Sane_Man

It's kinda sad that the only reason many people watch and like this show is because that main characters can die. It's like David Chase said, people only care about who's gonna get whacked next.

This show barely kills off main characters. It's The Walking Dead you should be talking about. That's it's whole selling point.

Einchy

This show barely kills off main characters. It's The Walking Dead you should be talking about. That's it's whole selling point.

Game of Thrones killed THE main character in season 1 and then his replacement in season 3.

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Window

Regardless of what it does or does not do, the (anticipated or lack of) death of major characters is certainly what a lot of discussion is about.

Volimar

I immediately lose interest whenever someone starts talking about how bad the show is and point to the lack of recent major character deaths as a reason. Maybe they'd be better off watching a snuff film or something.

gun_haver

I immediately lose interest whenever someone starts talking about how bad the show is and point to the lack of recent major character deaths as a reason. Maybe they'd be better off watching a snuff film or something.

It's a symptom of the general conventionalising of the story. Whether people die or not doesn't matter, but the reasons they do or don't matter. Jon doesn't die because he's now the central hero of the story, along with Daenerys, and lots of people aren't as into a traditional fantasy story as they were with what the show was before.

I thought Dany looked awesome in that white outfit she had at the end of last week's.
Yes. I've never thought about clothes in this show....or real life. And moment people talk about clothes, I snore. But the moment I saw Dany in that white, winter clothing I thought "damn, that looks amazing."

I agree.
"Remember when the show killed the main characters."
Like that's what the show was "known for", like we have many main characters left anyway.
Other complaints aside, lack of recent major character deaths is a non-issue imo, I bet some huge fatalities will be saved for Season 8.
Forgot to mention we haven't even finished the season. Don't even know what Cersei might pull.

Dany... dumb...?

TqIEnYB.gif

Lmao, it looked goofy compared to her other outfits. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought Dany looked awesome in that white outfit she had at the end of last week's.
Yeah, the detail looked amazing on that one.

Window

It's a symptom of the general conventionalising of the story. Whether people die or not doesn't matter, but the reasons they do or don't matter. Jon doesn't die because he's now the central hero of the story, along with Daenerys, and lots of people aren't as into a traditional fantasy story as they were with what the show was before.

I'd like to think GoT subversion of typical fantasy narrative extends beyond the shock value of killing off major characters.

A story is not just about the audience trying to constantly guess what's going to happen next and the author subverting these expectations either. Unfortunately that's pretty much what all TV show discussions are about however.

Yeah the costuming in the show is great. Gives me some interesting ideas for traditional wear parties...(if only I could find anything resembling the polish and detail the show's clothes have).

Einchy

Yes. I've never thought about clothes in this show....or real life. And moment people talk about clothes, I snore. But the moment I saw Dany in that white, winter clothing I thought "damn, that looks amazing."

I think costume design, especially for a fantastic show or movie, is incredibly important. I'm not sure how often you see some super generic tunics or cloth that looks new and were just slightly painted over to look a bit dirty. I'm always impressed by how beautiful and real the clothes look.

The episode was stupid and had no trace of GRRM's depth and drama
But still entertaining

The time for depth and drama is over, or the show will never end and it has to end in just a few episodes.

I watched all 6 chapters this week, and indeed it feels rushed: Jon and Dany relationship, the whole time contrivances (Dany could have used the dragons to go all blitzkrieg, and end the war by destroying Casterly Rock in a single night considering the speed of the dragons), etc...

But the whole package feels entertainly enough and is doing a good job for finally bringing together characters and loose threads.

Can't wait for tomorrow episode.

number11

I have no problem with people not dying.. the main problem this season is those ridiculous last second fake outs they keep doing.

It's been talked to death but Bronn and Jamie surviving a dragon attack and escaping from the lake a mile away with full armour still on.

7 heroes fighting the army of the dead with 6 surviving. A ton on no name faceless red shirts dying were included just to add to the 'drama'.

Jon somehow not drowning or dying from hypothermia, then the save from Benjen which was already done last season.

Also the Tormund and Jorah scenes.

Gin-Shiio

Lack of character deaths isn't inherently a problem. But it becomes a problem when the same characters are put into deadly situations over and over, just to be saved in a contrived manner in the end. Jamie and Bron's river adventure, wights lake chilling for days, and there ain't no time are lame solutions to problems the characters shouldn't be put into if this is their outcome. It's a cheap way to build tension, and a crappy way to keep them alive.

Last episode had a bunch of nobodies travel along with our badass group, guess who bit the dust? Those guys were fodder so the audience would have something to be terrified about, but ultimately those characters weren't even graced with a single line of dialogue. They didn't even have names. Their sole reason to exist was to be killed off. And that's contrived and transparent, and frankly just not very exciting.

I have no problem with people not dying.. the main problem this season is those ridiculous last second fake outs they keep doing.

You understand me.

Window

Those are legitimate complaints but that doesn't mean the show must redeem itself with a lot of character deaths next episode.

FUCK YOU NIGHT KING

Seriously, though, while the dresses and whatnot of Essos were beautiful, the designers have really stepped up their game for the new outfits. If there are award for TV costume design, these people need to win them all. They are unmatched in TV and they put to shame most movie costume design, too.

If I was making a movie and needed costume designers, I'd get the Star Wars and Game of Thrones design team ASAP.

The Dany new outfits, especually the short cape, don't work for me. Only thing I like is the furry battle coat.

Forward

Gilbert Gottfried has been confirmed as the Night King's voice actor since season 5.

So... "Dr-AFFLAC-erys!", then?

Lack of character deaths isn't inherently a problem. But it becomes a problem when the same characters are put into deadly situations over and over, just to be saved in a contrived manner in the end. Jamie and Bron's river adventure, wights lake chilling for days, and there ain't no time are lame solutions to problems the characters shouldn't be put into if this is their outcome. It's a cheap way to build tension, and a crappy way to keep them alive.

Last episode had a bunch of nobodies travel along with our badass group, guess who bit the dust? Those guys were fodder so the audience would have something to be terrified about, but ultimately those characters weren't even graced with a single line of dialogue. They didn't even have names. Their sole reason to exist was to be killed off. And that's contrived and transparent, and frankly just not very exciting.

Even the new Star Trek movies only killed off one Red Shirt... and they even gave him a name.

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons why the Telltale game was so garbage (in addition to the bad writing, bad graphics and bad framerate). It was as if they didn't understand that GoT isn't TWD. When GoT kills characters off, it isn't done frequently enough that it loses impact and it isn't done just for shock value, there's always a goal that's being worked towards (which we're seeing now).

Audioboxer

Finally seen this week's episode. I know, I'm a bad person for being late.

Enjoying this season but I have to say the fast travel on show really is breaking immersion. Not just because they're cutting out needless journey time getting airtime, but because the time they think it takes to do some of the things is unreasonable.

I wish she'd just go the trifling distance of wearing eyebrow wigs, for consistency.

Eyebrow wigs? I didn't even know that was a thing lol

well I remember the costume designer for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets talking about applying the blonde to Lucius Malfoy's eyebrows but ultimately deciding against it

roytheone

A massacre of important characters would be the only way to redeem the season.

But my fear is that nothing will happen a King's Landing.

That's my fear too but I have good hope that will not be the case. Everyone just being buddies and united against the night king would be so boring :(

Einchy

Guys, stop pretending like you watched The Walking Dead past the first season. Ya'll know lying is bad, right?

I watched up to the beginning of last season.
Did you watch up until the "little pig, little pig let me in" scene/ep? Because that's where that show lost me. That perfect silhouette against the gate only for the lighting not even being close to capable of providing that shadow once opened just added to how terribly cartoony the show was becoming on top of all of the character behaviors.

Volimar

Did you watch up until the "little pig, little pig let me in" scene/ep? Because that's where that show lost me. That perfect silhouette against the gate only for the lighting not even being close to capable of providing that shadow once opened just added to how terribly cartoony the show was becoming on top of all of the character behaviors.

Literally just the first episode. The gore left me a bit sick to my stomach. I wouldn't want them to censor themselves but I pretty much just reached my limit. I've got a big tolerance for hot garbage shows though. I watched every episode of True Blood. :p

Volimar

Well Skyrim was heavily influenced by the books and I believe they were even approached to make a Song of Fire and Ice game but they decided to make Skyrim instead.

They were already making Skyrim at the time.

I find it hard to believe that they'd have a game coming out that no one knew about and is close enough for release that it'd be listed on retailer websites.

Top Bottom