• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

Similarly, Cersei will always be taking E for the first time to a brilliant soundtrack

JasQ32n.jpg

Good lord she looks so much better now.

Ristlager

Possibly the dumbest question in this topic. But what the hell happened to the "zombie" army of 10000 which marched towards the black gate at the end of s01?

Did the 100 humans (and Jon Snow) stop them when they went to the north?

Rodhull

Possibly the dumbest question in this topic. But what the hell happened to the "zombie" army of 10000 which marched towards the black gate at the end of s01?

It was the fist of the first men they were marching to and the nights watch defeated them offscreen. I'm not sure if there was meant to be that many of them.

Vashetti

Banned

I think you mean the end of Season 2.

They were promptly killed at the start of Season 3 with a black screen and sound effects (because budget).

Alpende

Yes and one of the remainders attacks Sam, who is then set on fire by Commander Mormont, who then asks Sam if he sent the ravens.

Yeah, I got that but I didn't know that was one of the remaining few.

When (what episode) did Sam kill that 'boss' white walker then? The one that was after him and his girlfriend.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah, I got that but I didn't know that was one of the remaining few.

When (what episode) did Sam kill that 'boss' white walker then? The one that was after him and his girlfriend.

That 'boss" White Walker is not the only one, there are loads that look like that, and that was episode 8 of Season 3.

I can't believe people missed that that army was killed, why do you think the Night's Watch are so bloody when they find Sam at the start of Season 3? What did you think that black screen with battle sound effects was at the start of the episode?

This is why Commander Mormont says something like "we have to warn them" (i.e. go back to the Wall and let everyone know about the impending White Walker invasion).

Ristlager

I thought they fought the wildlings, and that the zombie army was incredible hard to "kill"? not that there would be no screentime of the huge cliffhanger that ended s02.

Alpende

I don't know, maybe it's because it's been almost a year since I've seen that episode. I think I just forgot it. I'll check the beginning of the episode again though.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
There needs to be a special where the GOT actors return to some of their original roles as their GOT characters.
Jaime Lannister in Black Hawk Down
Cersei in Dredd
Joffrey in Batman Begins
Thoros in Dennis Pennis
Tyrion in X-men Days of future Past
Tywin in Ali G Indahouse
Shae in ... well, I'm at work so I can't google those movies

the list can go on!

Ristlager

That 'boss" White Walker is not the only one, there are loads that look like that, and that was episode 8 of Season 3.

I can't believe people missed that that army was killed, why do you think the Night's Watch are so bloody when they find Sam at the start of Season 3? What did you think that black screen with battle sound effects was at the start of the episode?

This is why Commander Mormont says something like "we have to warn them" (i.e. go back to the Wall and let everyone know about the impending White Walker invasion).

So you say they killed them, but also that they must be warned against a white walker invasion? What is it then?

El Daniel

There needs to be a special where the GOT actors return to some of their original roles as their GOT characters.
Jaime Lannister in Black Hawk Down
Cersei in Dredd
Joffrey in Batman Begins
Thoros in Dennis Pennis
Tyrion in X-men Days of future Past
Tywin in Ali G Indahouse
Shae in ... well, I'm at work so I can't google those movies

the list can go on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hHx7gdN68

I'm still waiting on a version with Tyrion, Jaime and Cersei.

I thought there was a skirmish and they managed to get away. You hear Mormont shouting "fall back" at one point. Probably they killed some or most of the zombies with fire but I'd be surprised if they managed to kill any of the White Walkers.

Ristlager

Sorry for harking about this question. But at the start of the series the White Walkers was shown to be extremely dangerous, killing 5 people without any effort. And in the end of S02 there was a full army of them, and now we are led to belive that that army was stopped by 100 men (maybe even less) without much training?

Sorry for harking about this question. But at the start of the series the White Walkers was shown to be extremely dangerous, killing 5 people without any effort. And in the end of S02 there was a full army of them, and now we are led to belive that that army was stopped by 100 men (maybe even less) without much training?

The army was mostly zombies which we'd seen can be relatively easily killed by fire, as long as you know what to do. The White Walkers, the icy guys with the giant swords, from what we've seen can only be killed with the spears they found at the Fist of the First Men. So I guess the night's watch men managed to kill enough zombies with fire to be able to get away.

kirblar

The army was mostly zombies which we'd seen can be relatively easily killed by fire, as long as you know what to do. The White Walkers, the icy guys with the giant swords, from what we've seen can only be killed with the spears they found at the Fist of the First Men. So I guess the night's watch men managed to kill enough zombies with fire to be able to get away.
The zombies are referred to as "Wights" onscreen, leading to the confusion of many as to what the difference was.

Did they ever say that they defeated / killed the walkers? Given how few Night's Watch there are (compared to how many zombies), and how little experience they have fighting them (didn't they say in season 1 how Jon was the first to kill one in a thousand years or something), I would have thought they tried to fight but got their ass beat, they fell back and had to regroup / warn the others.

Ristlager

So we can assume that they killed most of the zombies, but that the White walkers (there are atleast a couple of them) ran away? Stils seems like a weak cop out, since they (WW) where described to destroy mankind by the people on the show.

wat? I never knew this. there's zombies AND whitewalkers?

Wights- reanimated corpses that form the white walkers army. Referred to as "blue eyed corpses" several times on the show.
White Walkers- Intelligent species that have the white bark looking skin. One sees Sam at the end of season 2 and ignores him, Sam kills one in 308

So we can assume that they killed most of the zombies, but that the White walkers (there are atleast a couple of them) ran away? Stils seems like a weak cop out, since they (WW) where described to destroy mankind by the people on the show.

My impression was that the rangers were able to do enough damage to slow them down so they could make their retreat. You hear Mormont shout "fall back" so I guess they didn't really win the battle. To be honest I don't really know what's stopping the White Walkers (even without their undead army) just killing everyone in their path, given the rangers didn't know about the spears at that point.

wat? I never knew this. there's zombies AND whitewalkers?

White Walkers are the big icy guys with beards. They undead people they re-animate, I've been calling zombies, but apparently they're called "Wights". Jon Snow killed one with fire in an early episode. Sam killed a White Walker with the dragon glass last season.

-griffy-

Banned
I think you mean the end of Season 2.

They were promptly killed at the start of Season 3 with a black screen and sound effects (because budget).

Pretty sure you got that backwards. The Night's Watch was almost completely wiped out and the army of white walkers/wights moved on. A straggler attacked Sam and the few survivors of the Watch save him. Later, when wildlings arrive at the fist they see what happened to the bulk of the Night's Watch at the Fist:

hobbyinthelobby.gif

There's definitely still a bunch of White Walkers out there.

Yeah I'm really not sure why people are saying that the Rangers defeated that whole army, it seemed to me that they just barely survived and got away before they met up with Sam

Morts

Yeah I thought the "black screen with sound effects" was the Night's Watch getting slaughtered. Not the other way around.

Vashetti

Banned
Ah my mistake, lol

But the point is that Wight Walker army got significantly reduced through the battle with the Night's Watch.

Watevaman

Ah my mistake, lol

But the point is that Wight Walker army got significantly reduced through the battle with the Night's Watch.

I don't think they "significantly reduced" the army that seemingly everyone will be obliterated by when it finally comes. Maybe they took out the equivalent of a few squads.

J-Rod

I don't watch NCIS, but it wouldn't bother me as much as it could be someone who just dyes their hair which matches within the reality of the show and times. Whereas in GOT, the character is supposed to be a natural blond like most (all?) lannisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom