• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
UbWN1KH.gif

Edit: Aw shit, it's been posted a thousand times before. WELL, IT'S STILL FUNNY.

Goddamn I want some KFC now.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
He specifically mentioned that he needs to keep pressing his claim to become king or it will be forgotten. Unless he becomes king and gets control of the country's armies, he won't be able to do jack shit against the threat in the north.

thx for the responses, fellas, but why no more mention of the white walkers this season after he seemed so ready to get up and go go (fresh beat reference, sue me) right then and there at the end of last season? OK, I get it that we just fill in what wasn't shown. Just found it a tad strange, but it's workable. thanks

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds like bullshit to me. Got any sources for that? Cersei is a widowed woman and even in ancient texts and customs taking a woman against her will was rape and it was wrong. Furthermore extramarital consensual sex is the crime of adultery, not rape.
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/13/rape-defined-sexual-crime-history

"In the 15th century, the father or husband of a raped woman pressed criminal charges because the legal definition of rape in England had narrowed to apply to the theft of a woman's virtue, either a daughter's virginity or a married woman's honour."

Www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Malory

" At this period, however, a charge of rape could also apply to consensual sex with a married woman whose husband had not agreed to the liaison."

Arksy

100+ pages later, we're still discussing the (not)rape? :-\

My thoughts:

- Oberyn is shaping up to be one of the most interesting character this season. Did he actually accept Tywin's proposition (Prop Joe of Westeros) since we never actually seen them shake hands?

- Littlefinger's endgame still remains to be seen. After his "Chaos is a ladder" exchange with The Spider, I wouldn't be suprised if he's the sole mastermind of the assassination.
- What are the chances of Mance Ryder running into the Crow mutineer first before Jon Snow can get to them? Castle Black is as good as dead if that's the case!
- If Tyrion choose another trial by combat with Bronn as his champion, well..

Yes, when Podric visits Tyrion's cell he confirms that Oberyn will be one of the judges.

marrec

Banned
Speevy, whilst I grasp the majority of your message, it remains elusive to me: is it important for some (male) audience to be validated, by other viewers, that the intercourse scene was not rape? If so, why.

Not to belabor the point but I'd like to weigh in specifically on this question. You seem to be implying that some of the male audience is being confronted with cognitive dissonance based on their understandings of rape and their previous sexual encounters. They then have to resolve this dissonance by labeling the Jaime/Cersei romp as "NOT RAPE".

It's impossible to tell the motivations of individual posters. Many may just want to continue rooting for Jaime but many, like myself, understand that just given the context of the encounter and the characters involved it'd be hard to describe it as rape. Unfortunately the way it was filmed, taken completely out of context, leaves little question as to what happened, there was a struggle, she was unwilling and he forced himself on her.

When it happened my SO and I discussed it and we agreed that it was edited poorly and they probably did not want it to be so obviously rapey. If you are with someone for awhile and you have lots of sex, especially illicit sex, then there's probably a lot of "No, not here, you freak"s being thrown around but that doesn't mean the person saying 'No' has lost control of the sexual encounter. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd probably be accused of rape given a contextless viewing of a few of my sexual encounters with my SO. Without knowing the power dynamic between the couple it's easy to look at what Jaime and Cersei did and say 'That's Rape' and be unaware that, in the end, the situation was controlled by Cersei.

All of that said, it's up to the director to make us aware of that power dynamic and if they wanted to show it was consensual then they failed. Jerks.

(Won't speak of it again)

It's that awful beard.

Going for that Aragorn look. :lol

Yes, when Podric visits Tyrion's cell he confirms that Oberyn will be one of the judges.
Oberyn will be one of the judges, but I think it's a bad mistake from Tywin. Oberyn will be even closer to taking his head. Oberyn will use Tywin to kill the Mountain first is my guess, and then kill Tywin probably by the end of the series.

I have a bad feeling Tyrion will go to court using battle, and pick Bron. Bron will then get paid much more and not help him out, which would hurt me inside a bit more. :( So it may be up to Jaime to fight for him, or a really crazy idea is Obery fighting for him if Tywin wants him dead which would be epic. But then again, why would Tywin want him dead, he could kill his son at any time and had the chance to when he was a baby. :S

Oberyn in so little time might be one of my favorite characters already. I really hope he lives off for a long time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Eh, you posted like the year old ones. The artist has released a bunch of new drawings, I believe.

Ygritte and the white walker are too good.

Most of them are decidedly more 90's than 80's, but whatevs.

Oberyn will be one of the judges, but I think it's a bad mistake from Tywin. Oberyn will be even closer to taking his head. Oberyn will use Tywin to kill the Mountain first is my guess, and then kill Tywin probably by the end of the series.

I have a bad feeling Tyrion will go to court using battle, and pick Bron. Bron will then get paid much more and not help him out, which would hurt me inside a bit more. :( So it may be up to Jaime to fight for him, or a really crazy idea is Obery fighting for him if Tywin wants him dead which would be epic. But then again, why would Tywin want him dead, he could kill his son at any time and had the chance to when he was a baby. :S

Oberyn in so little time might be one of my favorite characters already. I really hope he lives off for a long time.

I was thinking this is possible actually, because if Tywin is promising Oberyn a "meeting" with the Mountain, he may be able to facilitate it by having the Mountain being the Champion against Tyrion. Oberyn can thus fight for Tyrion and get a chance at his revenge.

Not exactly sure of Tywin's motives under this scenario, because it really depends on whether he wants to save Tyrion. Or maybe he doesn't care about Tyrion's fate either way, and if that is the case, it's kind of a win-win for him.

If Oberyn fights the Mountain and wins, Tyrion is saved and Oberyn gets his revenge and with the other offerings from Tywin, may be satisfied. Thus Tywin loses an enemy who wants him dead (maybe even turning him into a full ally) and saves his son. And to be honest, I think Tywin is smart enough to know that Tyrion doesn't have shit to do with Joffrey's death, so I think he'd actually want to save him. The problem with this is whether or not Tywin would care to lose such a strong pawn (the Mountain)

If Oberyn loses, he dies and Tywin loses an enemy without having to completely destroy his relationship with Dorne, since Oberyn would have chosen this of his own volition. But that also means he loses Tyrion, which he may or may not care about...

But here's a question (which I don't think we have enough info for an answer however), but if Oberyn is a judge, can he also be a champion?

effzee

Is it very important for some (male?) audience that the scene is validated as not a rape by fellow viewers?

Obviously there is disagreement amongst fans.

I myself have been holding back commenting on that part of the episode. It's difficult for me to reconciliate how Jaime had rescued Brienne from the mob from taking advantage of her, and then to have aggressively put himself on his sister by his son's dead body.

Not to pile on this topic but I saw it was Jaime thinking he is owed Cercei. Someone, the only one, he was fighting back for. She denied him a few times already since he came back and his frustration got to him.

With Brienne it seemed like he genuinely admired her so he rescued her. Anything that comes to his sister though, his moral compass goes out the window. Like Bran.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Finn Jones (aka Loras Tyrell) is doing a club night at my uni town next week
let us hope he is as eager with men in real as he is in GOT #thirsty

Nameless

Not to pile on this topic but I saw it was Jaime thinking he is owed Cercei. Someone, the only one, he was fighting back for. She denied him a few times already since he came back and his frustration got to him.

With Brienne it seemed like he genuinely admired her so he rescued her. Anything that comes to his sister though, his moral compass goes out the window. Like Bran.

Definitely. Jaime revealed last season that Cersei is the only woman he's ever been with, so there's no doubt a sense of infatuation and entitlement there. Combine that with the extreme levels of male privilege pervading that type of society, and the hardships he endured trying to get back to her, and you can easily begin to see how Jaime could come to a place where, in that moment, fulfillment of his own deseries superseded Cersei's personal sovereignty.

Sure, the situation(and their relationship) is more nuanced & complex than Jaime forcing himself on some farmer's wife for example, and yes, Cersei was clearly conflicted between accepting and resisting his advances, but ultimately none that changes what the act was.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/13/rape-defined-sexual-crime-history

"In the 15th century, the father or husband of a raped woman pressed criminal charges because the legal definition of rape in England had narrowed to apply to the theft of a woman's virtue, either a daughter's virginity or a married woman's honour."

Www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Malory

" At this period, however, a charge of rape could also apply to consensual sex with a married woman whose husband had not agreed to the liaison."

I stand corrected in that part. Doesn't really change the issue but I didn't know that 15th century England actually went backwards in regards to rape.

yes, pls. im so worried for tyrion ;__; i dont know who else he can turn to, with bronn denied of him, and pod in a jam as it is.

#TeamImp

Cyan, thank you for your perspective. You are right of course, there must be a lot of viewers that had been rooting for Jaime that felt that last episode was a massive step back.

Honestly, I hope Jaime can help him or stick by him. I worry for him too. If he meets an untimely death, The show will not be the same at all.

fader

Honestly, I hope Jaime can help him or stick by him. I worry for him too. If he meets an untimely death, The show will not be the same at all.

that's what i love about this show. they show you early on that their not afraid of killing characters and so when your favorite character is in danger you get the feels and hope they make it out OK instead of just knowing "since their the hero, they'll be OK..."

Nameless

Holy shit, forget RDR3, The War of the Roses by Rockstar...

Going directly to Gamestop after work to pre-order this just in case.

Even though Tell-Tale's Walking Dead games are among the most overrated piles of shit I've ever encountered, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they do with the Game of Thrones universe. Hopefully this choose-your-own-adventure game has, you know, consequential choices available.

Going directly to Gamestop after work to pre-order this just in case.

Even though Tell-Tale's Walking Dead games are among the most overrated piles of shit I've ever encountered, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they do with the Game of Thrones universe. Hopefully this choose-your-own-adventure game has, you know, consequential choices available.

Best case scenario would be you have multiple protagonists who can die at any one of multiple death points but the rest of the story continues on until only one is left

Nameless

Best case scenario would be you have multiple protagonists who can die at any one of multiple death points but the rest of the story continues on until only one is left

I'd be ok with this. At least here you could affect the world / your story beyond choosing between nice responses and being a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom