• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tauroxd

Absolutely loving the show, but desperately want more details and flesh out the world more. Should I read the books or am I fucked due to watching the show?

You will find that in the books. If you have the time and the will to do it, by all means read the books. I won't be the guy who says it's a better experience than the one the show offers, that's for you to decide, what I will tell you is that it will enhance it, that's for sure.

Absolutely loving the show, but desperately want more details and flesh out the world more. Should I read the books or am I fucked due to watching the show?

Eh, I'd say go for it. The books will give the world/characters more texture, if that's what you're after.

E92 M3

I'm pretty sure he is the guy that Bolton sent to find Bran after he found out from Theon that he was still alive

Hmm, it makes more sense now. He's possibly infiltrating CB.

You will find that in the books. If you have the time and the will to do it, by all means read the books. I won't be the guy who says It's a beter experience that the show, that's for you to decide, what I will tell you is that it will enhance it, that's for sure.

I want to enhance it; definitely. How should I read the books to not spoil the show and enjoy both. Is that even possible? Also, how many books are left till saga is complete?

Nerokis

Oh my god...

Best episode yet? Seriously. From beginning to end, impactful moment after impactful moment. The whole episode left me with such a terrible feeling, though. I don't trust Locke at all. Jon is being sent into an incredibly perilous situation, and I can't help but feel it's not going to end well. Then there's Team Bran being captured, slapped around, and stabbed (poor Hodor...). It's so strange seeing Bran in that situation. And then it's all capped with a closer glimpse at this ridiculously ominous force stirring in the background.

A random observation: something core to Dany's character arc is that it's almost completely disconnected from events in Westeros. That's something she actually shares with the White Walkers, but in her case, the show intimately focuses on her story. Something the show does often is have something bad happen in Westeros, but then give the viewer hope through Dany's story - there's a pretty constant contrast there.

In general, there's several forces that exist in the background of the more immediate events of Westeros, and that's something that makes the story so much more interesting. You have Dany representing a more hopeful force, the White Walkers representing a darker one, and even the weather itself is something that's eventually going to change the entire game.

My observation is this, though: whereas usually Dany's story is used to uplift the viewer, in this case, her scene came at the very beginning of the episode. And soon after that, came tension filled scene after tension filled scene, ending with a glimpse at the force in the background that will almost certainly cause an incredible despair down the line. This episode was the opposite of hopeful, and it seemed almost intentional.

Nameless

Can someone explain Locke again? He looks very familiar.

That's it. Fuck I'm so confused.

Dude, just showed up at CB lol.

He's Roose Bolton's 'Hunter'. He tracked down Jaime(and cut off his hand), and has been tasked with finding and killing the Stark boys. Theon Reek suggests Jon Snow as a starting lead so Locke has gone undercover with the Night's Watch, hoping Jon knows the boys' whereabouts, and to eventually kill him, as he'd surely seek vengeance for his dead brothers.

bigkrev

So wait, what's the purpose of him (Locke) being there? To find out if Jon knows where Bran is?

Well, that's the only lead they have. Bran is a cripple, so he probably isn't going anywhere fast, and he wasn't heading to Kings Landing. Going to Castle Black to be with Jon was the most logical place for Bran to flee to

Curufinwe

I can't think of a worse idea.

Diving into Wiki's is probably the most dangerous thing I can think off when it comes to GoT.

That wiki hasn't spoiled me on anything ever in three years. Random googling or looking at comments on anything even vaguely GoT related is far more dangerous.

He could start with the HBO guide but I find it too full of pictures and lacking in easy to digest info.

neoism

OK was it just me or was this episode weird.. It had weird pacing and the directing nad writing seemed really different than most of the other episodes...it was overall a great ep though... just seemed off...

That wiki hasn't spoiled me on anything ever in three years. Random googling or looking at comments on anything even vaguely GoT related is far more dangerous.

Are there seperate wiki's for the books and TV show?

And I can attest for the random googling, fucking auto suggest ruined Ned Starks death.

E92 M3

That and "The North remembers". He can't risk Northmen rallying behind the Starks in the future.

Ah yes right. Now, Rob ultimately died because of not marrying Fray's daughter, right? Did Bolton get in on it because Rob broke the oath? I know it's going back, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Does Bolton want the Stark Boys dead because he will inherit Winterfell?

I think it's more of the fact that everyone knows what he did to Rob.

The north would rally against him if they knew a successor to Rob was still alive, he needs to ensure that all the Starks are dead.

He could start with the HBO guide but I find it too full of pictures and lacking in easy to digest info.

How is that possible? Even if you just looked at a random character's page, wouldn't it be like, "Stabby McGrimdark was the fourth son of house grimdark and was eviscerated by wolves after burning an orphanage to the ground?" Spoiling things just in page summaries?

sangreal

Lord Mormont: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/mormont.png
u26j942.gif

a few other random screencaps below
crucified dude: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/jesus2.png
brienne's armor: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/armor.png
her sword: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/briennesword.png
4th reich: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/flag.png
iceland: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/icemountain.png
blue balls: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/blueballs.png

Nerokis

How is that possible? Even if you just looked at a random character's page, wouldn't it be like, "Stabby McGrimdark was the fourth son of house grimdark and was eviscerated by wolves after burning an orphanage to the ground?" Spoiling things just in page summaries?

There's a show specific wiki. It's still not totally safe to look at, but I've used it a few times in the past, too. Here it is. It's up to you to use it or not.

Ah yes right. Now, Rob ultimately died because of not marrying Fray's daughter, right? Did Bolton get in on it because Rob broke the oath? I know it's going back, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Bolton ended up marrying one of Frey's daughters (the fat one you saw in the second episode). With Bolton being named Warden of the North by Tywin, Frey got exactly what he wanted in the end even after Rob's death.

I really don't like her delivery of that line. Their supposed to be having a quiet aside and she's so bombastic about it. It seems like her tone of voice is stuck on "mother of dragons" this season.

They need scenes to move faster too. There are so many characters now and so much to get to, even with all the stuff crammed into each episode I end up feeling like nothing really happens.

Complaining aside, I loved Brienne setting out with some shiny new gear. I really enjoy how we're slowly finding out more details about the assassination. I laughed when Margery asked if she can come visit again and Tommen shook his head like "duh, every night please". Best part was definitely the ending which took the scope of the show to a whole new level. I'm really happy to see more fantasy elements come into play and I want to go explore the far, far north now.

E92 M3

Bolton ended up marrying one of Frey's daughters (the fat one you saw in the second episode). With Bolton being named Warden of the North by Tywin, Frey got exactly what he wanted in the end even after Rob's death.

I need to rewatch those episodes...hate having a hazy memory like this. Was Bolton the ultimate conspirator for the wedding?

Nameless

Yup. When or why Bolton betrayed Robb isn't overtly revealed, but they imply as much. Roose joined houses with the Freys by marrying one of Walder's daughters himself, right around the time Robb spurned the other Frey girls. Certainly by the time the Karstark men road home. Their cause was lost and everyone knew it.

I really don't like her delivery of that line. Their supposed to be having a quiet aside and she's so bombastic about it. It seems like her tone of voice is stuck on "mother of dragons" this season.

I think that's the point.

Did you see that closing shot of her looking over the city? Shit's getting to her head.

E92 M3

Thanks for the clarity guys! I hope they talk about Bolton's reasoning a bit more...besides the obvious. Man, sometimes I feel like a lot of the actors are a lot of more charismatic then they should be for their role. Tywin is a fucking asshole, but I am truly happy when he gets some screen time.

Demon Ice

Banned
Tommen's facial expression is exactly what mine would be if Natalie Dormer randomly walked into my bedroom one night. That lady is fine

royalan

They need scenes to move faster too. There are so many characters now and so much to get to, even with all the stuff crammed into each episode I end up feeling like nothing really happens.

Honestly, this has been a serious problem since last season. But then the Red Wedding happened and tricked people into thinking GoT was a properly plotted show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom