• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

Good episode. I really liked the cinematography in that episode.

Knew it was Olenna once Sansa denied it! Figured that whole "Only a monster would kill at a wedding" was just foreshadowing. That whole White Walkers thing is not explained well in this show. Or there should really be a reminder of what they are.

Overall, Margaery wins this episode.

Margaery wins every episode

Madrin

OK was it just me or was this episode weird.. It had weird pacing and the directing nad writing seemed really different than most of the other episodes...it was overall a great ep though... just seemed off...

Weird, I felt the exact same way. The writing, directing, camerawork, and even some of the sound effects felt more... cheap, I guess? Like something you would see on a more typical, lower-budget cable TV show.

Still an enjoyable episode, though. I'm glad we're starting to see more of the Whitewalkers. Sometimes I forget that this is a fantasy show. It will be extremely interesting to see all the drama and politics in Westeros put on hold so that everyone can deal with an approaching army of almost invincible, half-dead snow monsters.

inky

Do the people of Westeros just accept the WW threat as an inevitable event?

Well, that's the whole point of the wall isn't it? As I understand it, it happened so long ago that it pretty much became legend and stopped being taken seriously. Kinda like how people were "yeah, dragons, sure, whatever you say" during the first season or so.

Sanctuary

He cut off Jaime's hand.

Roose Bolton wants the Stark boys dead. His servant Locke is now looking for them.

That's what I figured too from watching this episode, especially after he gets all chummy with Jon and also volunteered to go with him. Still, it's like out of the blue "surprise!" he's just randomly there.

Also: "Mommy, where do baby White Walkers come from?"
"When a man loves a baby very much, he touches it and...".

Margaery wins every episode

She's so goddamn gorgeous too.

Well, that's the whole point of the wall isn't it? As I understand it, it happened so long ago that it pretty much became legend and stopped being taken seriously. Kinda like how people were "yeah, dragons, sure, whatever you say" during the first season or so.

Wait? People made the wall?

How in the hell did they manage that?

Wait? People made the wall?

How in the hell did they manage that?

From the HBO wiki

The Wall is a colossal fortification which stretches for 300 miles along the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms, defending the realm from the wildlings who live beyond. The Wall is reported to be over 700 feet tall and is made of solid ice. It was supposedly constructed using both magic and mundane means some eight millennia ago, in the aftermath of the Long Night to defend the realm against the White Walkers who apparently dwell in the far north, though they are now considered myths by most.

reggie

Banned
Khaleesi continues to be pure garbage. Complete filler every episode. I don't care if it's leading up to something or anything, how many fucking scenes of her saving slaves do we need to see before something interesting happens?

Give me Lannister infighting and the Arya/Hound storyline every episode plz, everything else is mediocre.

televator

Tommen...
southpark_nice.png

Amirite?

Also, I fucking called it on Lady Olena! It was her. What a clever, clever gal.

Jamie making a dramatic comeback! Lets hope he can remain relatively strong in this new found respect for the Starks and his oaths to them and his brother now that he basically sent away his new rock in Brienne.

Full disclosure: I have trouble spelling these names.

POOR HODOR! Jon Snow ought to slowly gut every one of those bastards that chained him up like that.

Khaleesi continues to be pure garbage. Complete filler every episode. I don't care if it's leading up to something or anything, how many fucking scenes of her saving slaves do we need to see before something interesting happens?

Give me Lannister infighting and the Arya/Hound storyline every episode plz, everything else is mediocre.

Garbage? No.

The issue is pace. We have two completely separate situations in the story and they are not jiving well at all. We have a rapidily developing situation with the death of a king and all those who are effected. An incoming war with the wildlings and White Walkers.

Then you have Khaleesi who is slowly changing as a character with every city she takes.

Her arch is important, but the issue is the are failing to match the importance at this current moment of the events of Westoros.

In fact, it seems like this is a problem with this show at the moment. You have so many developing situations that are all getting pieced together at real time, but in small separate intervals.

So that´s how WW are made. WW king turns living into WW. I thought the dead become WW.

Nice that Jamie is helping Tyrion, and Brianne to keep her oath. The Tyrells confession, i did not like because it was too predictable. Tommen you lucky bastard. Bran better escape soon. And show Arya and Hound next week.

Something different about the whole scene but god knows what. We keep getting these little glimpses of the WW but then never seen again for 9 episodes.

The baby almost looked happy when the other WW held it? What is with the blurry line of them that the dude walks out from. Is that hinting at something? Are they like the elites or something? And is he the only one who can turn living beings into WW, and that is why the other WW must ride out to meet him? If so why can't the other WW turn these babies.

So many questions but it feels like it could lead somewhere interesting. I still want to know WTF happened to that massive WW army though.

I loved the scene to scene editing tonight. Really well done.

New Tommen is lucky bastard. I thought he was going to become a man in this episode, maybe next time.

I a!so think the director for last week fucked up the "sex scene" with Jaime and Cersei last week. Filed a different way and we could still have Jaime be on a course for redemption. What happened last week and tonight doesn't flow together.

So in short, Craster has been slowly helping the White Walkers grow their army so that they could finally start their march on the wall.

And the Night's Watch let him

Did the Night's Watch know what he was doing with the boys?

I was under the impression they just thought the fucker killed them, not actually give them to the WW. The NW leader was talking about how it was necessary to have Caster because it was a strategic point for a resting spot.

Madrin

I was under the impression they just thought the fucker killed them, not actually give them to the WW. The NW leader was talking about how it was necessary to have Caster because it was a strategic point for a resting spot.

I believe Mormont knew what was happening.

Grakl

yeah, could someone explain the white walkers marching on to the wall a while ago, episode-wise? figured they would've already crossed it

Jon confronts The Lord commander about what he saw Craster do with one of the babies and I forget exactly but the former Lord Commander basically told Jon to leave it be. This is what starts Jon on the path of " wanting to fight for those who fight for the living " when he is with the wildlings

Whether they knew or didn't knew, they let it happen

Yea he gave the sword to Brienne but I'm not sure what happened to Joffrey's. Brienne's was remade from Ned Stark's sword

Pretty sure Joffrey still has it on his person

Sober

I a!so think the director for last week fucked up the "sex scene" with Jaime and Cersei last week. Filed a different way and we could still have Jaime be on a course for redemption. What happened last week and tonight doesn't flow together.
Wasn't it that it was pretty much a rape scene, but the director said (thought) otherwise? From what I understood from bits and pieces of what I heard.

Not that I'm defending Jamie for it but that doesn't mean he's a complete piece of shit (or that he is); maybe he simply doesn't think straight when his sister is involved. I dunno. I felt like Cersei this episode was trying to get back at him for the rape in the Septum.

Dennis

Banned
I am surprised Margaery didn't go further with Tommen considering what Olenna told her.

Like, at least a hand job or something.

Too far for TV?

Also, Jaime redemption continues apace.

Makes you wonder why Mormont would let Craster give babies away to the white walkers and do nothing about it. Not like Craster had a giant army that was useful.

Very odd the whole Craster / Night Watch thing is to me. Just doesn't make sense.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My god Emelia Clarke is a shitty fucking actress.

I maintain that she'd perform fine in a totally different role but as it stands is probably the most horribly miscast character in the show, from the perspective of a non-book reader, based simply on her given script and character arc.

Which I guess does make her a shitty actress, given the whole point of acting is to embody identities that aren't your own. But actors do often have personality strengths and weaknesses. This is a glaring example of a huge fucking weakness.

Wasn't it that it was pretty much a rape scene, but the director said otherwise? From what I understood from bits and pieces of what I heard.

Not that I'm defending Jamie for it but that doesn't mean he's a complete piece of shit (or that he is); maybe he simply doesn't think straight when his sister is involved. I dunno. I felt like Cersei this episode was trying to get back at him for the rape in the Septum.

I'm not going to use the r word, I'll just say it was an unwarranted action in a bad place, considering their dead son is lying on a table right next to them. The fact that the scene can be interpreted in such different ways mires the path Jaime has been on, for me last least.

Roflobear

Makes you wonder why Mormont would let Craster give babies away to the white walkers and do nothing about it. Not like Craster had a giant army that was useful.

Very odd the whole Craster / Night Watch thing is to me. Just doesn't make sense.

Yea couldn't Mormont have done away with Craster and installed his own people there to maintain the strategic point?

Nikodemos

Yea couldn't Mormont have done away with Craster and installed his own people there to maintain the strategic point?
They probably ran the risk of going native/running away. You're talking about a bunch of people press-ganged from the ranks of rapers, thieves, murderers, disinherited etc.

jediyoshi

Craster gives Walkers babies -> Walkers don't fuck with Craster -> Craster is able to maintain a useful outpost for the Night Watch so far north of the wall -> Night Watch don't fuck with Craster

Roflobear

They probably ran the risk of going native/running away. You're talking about a bunch of people press-ganged from the ranks of rapers, thieves, murderers, disinherited etc.

Yea that's a good point. jediyoshi makes a really good point as well. Guess it could've made sense for all parties to have Craster give those babies away

Maybe Mormont knows that there isn't anything they can do to stop the White Walkers?

Just keep the status quo for as long as possible, no need to stir the cage?

Craster gives Walkers babies -> Walkers don't fuck with Craster -> Craster is able to maintain a useful outpost for the Night Watch so far north of the wall -> Night Watch don't fuck with Craster

I don't know. Craster did not seem so welcoming to Mormont that time the group of them showed up on his doorstep. Did not look like a set outpost for the Nights Watch to utilize

Seemed more like a " hey I know of a place to rest for the night " type moment not " hey let's head to our designated outpost for food and shelter I restock for the trip "

Congrats on all those that guessed the killer of Joffrey. I can't believe it all depended on
Sansa wearing the necklace.
What if she didn't?
Move over Jaimie, there is a new Kingslayer.

Eps 4 was good, but nothing too exciting. It seemed like mostly a setup episode. Plus no Arya and her Hound.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Great episode. This season is damn good thus far. Only 6 more left :(

I can't stand reading this thread some times though. The hate for the Breaker of Chains is so ridiculous up in here. It's like we're watching two completely different shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom