• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herne

He's a Charles Xavier like prodigy, his Warging seems like second nature, a sixth sense almost. In the series he might only be the only Stark to have warging abilities even.

I'm not sure that's true. There's a theory going around the Robb warged into Grey Wind - his last thoughts and words were of the direwolf. As he died, we cut to Grey Wind who suddenly is trying to get out of the cage and eyeing the Freys with murderous intent. As Grey Wind is killed, there is a moment as the direwolf's eyes stare directly into Arya's, and it almost looks like recognition.

Of course, you're not wrong. Bran might be the only one to have warging abilities, not have had.

I'm not sure that's true. There's a theory going around the Robb warged into Grey Wind - his last thoughts and words were of the direwolf. As he died, we cut to Grey Wind who suddenly is trying to get out of the cage and eyeing the Freys with murderous intent. As Grey Wind is killed, there is a moment as the direwolf's eyes stare directly into Arya's, and it almost looks like recognition.

Yeah that didn't happen. They would have been more direct about that.

thanks. i completely forgot but then again his character has being forgettable so far at least.

Yeah the whole North stuff has been rather... well not dull, but at minimum plodding IMO (It just seems like nothing is moving story wise beyond Jon's wildling adventure last season) which makes it easy to forget things that are happening up there.

Of course, you're not wrong. Bran might be the only one to have warging abilities, not have had.

Damn you just put a really cool idea in my head. Robb living on through Grey Wind, like Robb's mind in the wolf's body and being a spirit guide of sorts for Arya's journey. They know that they are brother and sister but no one will believe them.

Nerokis

So does Jon Snow even know about Robb's death yet? Robb's death has been widely known for weeks and weeks, and is obviously a very important event. I don't think we ever got a reaction from Jon, did we? The Night's Watch has been shown to be relatively connected to events in the past, so what's going on? Or did I miss something?

Vhagar

Neo Member
So does Jon Snow even know about Robb's death yet? Robb's death has been widely known for weeks and weeks, and is obviously a very important event. I don't think we ever got a reaction from Jon, did we? The Night's Watch has been shown to be relatively connected to events in the past, so what's going on? Or did I miss something?

We did get a reaction from him. His very first scene was him talking to Sam about how Robb was always better than him at everything and he wanted to hate him for it but he just couldn't.

Herne

Damn you just put a really cool idea in my head. Robb living on through Grey Wind, like Robb's mind in the wolf's body and being a spirit guide of sorts for Arya's journey. They know that they are brother and sister but no one will believe them.

Well, making the Red Wedding all the more horrible, Grey Wind was killed on that night also, and Nymeria was nowhere near so that couldn't really happen. For all we know, I suppose.

Curufinwe

We did. He talks about it with Sam.

Vashetti

Banned

He definitely knows, that's what the scene between Sam and Jon was about in episode 1 of this current Season.

Booties

Banned
Sounds like she's not all that removed from the insanity that plagued her relatives and ancestors.

That's what I thought it was supposed to be a nod towards.

What the hell is Dany going to do with all these mouths to feed when she gets to King's Landing? If winter is coming to destroy the land, then a lot of food will die and people will starve. I feel like something reaaaaallly horrible is going to happen to all the slaves she's freed. On the other hand, they could just leave her.

Vashetti

Banned
that was a strange episode. Too many high-fantasy elements for my taste

1434624.jpg

Booties

Banned
I'm going to say no.

Hmm. HBOGO crapped out on me while I was rewatching the Purple Wedding for clues so I didn't get to rewatch the ending and pick that apart yet.

I DID rewatch the scene where Bran touches the white face tree. In that fast montage of images I saw one that was in last night's episode. The scene where you are looking up from under the ice at that White Walker just before he converts the baby flashes by just before he comes back and says "I know where we need to go".

Not sure what it means, but I think he saw something about the white walkers converting babies.

pringles

This was the best episode so far of the so far best season of the show. Just incredible. Reading through the thread it seems like most people have 1-2 storylines they don't like (usually Daenerys or Bran & Co.) but I'm glad to say I find everything interesting. They're doing an awesome job of making it feel like there's purpose to what all the different characters are doing. The only character I can't stand is Cersei. Bad actress and boring character, it's almost hard to understand what her goal is other than making life miserable for everyone around her. Can't wait for her to die or at least lose her power.

lol, took me a while to recognize the shithead leader of the Night Watch rebels/rapists at Caster's Keep as one of the nerdy scientists from Pacific Rim. :p

That guy has some range.

The only character I can't stand is Cersei. Bad actress and boring character, it's almost hard to understand what her goal is other than making life miserable for everyone around her. Can't wait for her to die or at least lose her power.

I disagree about Lena Headey being a bad actress.
I think she's compelling in pretty much everything she's in.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
that was a strange episode. Too many high-fantasy elements for my taste

Who would've thought a show containing ice-zombies, mind-controlled animals, and semi-tamed dragons about a fantasy-empire named Westoros, which is ruled by a king who sits on a throne forged of swords by dragon's fire, could contain fantasy elements?

Nerokis

We did. He talks about it with Sam.

He definitely knows, that's what the scene between Sam and Jon was about in episode 1 of this current Season.

Ahh, that's right! Kind of a strange scene, in retrospect: we don't see him get told the news, he expresses a bit of a minimal sentiment, and then moves on like it never happened (the show, at least). Am I also forgetting when he gets told about Bran? Because I'd expect that to be a much bigger deal than it seems to have been, as well.

Who would've thought a show containing ice-zombies, mind-controlled animals, and semi-tamed dragons about a fantasy-empire named Westoros, which is ruled by a king who sits on a throne forged of swords by dragon's fire, could contain fantasy elements?

The weakest parts of the show are the fantasy elements, though.

Nerokis

Saying they're the weakest part of the show implies they've somehow been poorly handled. I don't see how that's the case, though. Are you sure you don't mean they're the least interesting element to you personally?

Booties

Banned

It's gotta be accessible for a wide audience. The primary focus of the show is the human drama and the strife that causes. The secondary is the magical stuff that people think is neat. I don't expect it to be ironed out very much because the people watching it are a very diverse audience adn it can't be too distracting for them.

Nameless

I loved Daeny creating her own Walk of Punishment out of slave masters, then basking in their screams as the Targaryen banner hung victoriously above her conquered city. One of her best moments.

Simplet

I feel like Dani sections are always reminiscent of Xena/Hercules, from the 90s. Really cheesy, mediocre shots out in the field, and varied acting.

Seriously this is terrible.I'm on the new episode now and everyone is having some really silly heart-to-heart talks. That english lesson was really cringe-worthy I felt, you're right that all the shots related to the daenerys storyline are really the worst.

Is there someone in particular you think got worse? I think the guy playing Jon Snow is getting much better. Maybe it's just the character developing, but I never cared for him the first few seasons but he's really bringing it this season, a welcome change.

I don't know I find all the lannisters really bad in this episode, especially Jamie. "Emotional" is not a good look for him. Probably just all the silly dialogue.

sangreal

Regarding the promo for next week's episode:

Cersei needs to fuck off. How great would it be if she tried to hurt Margery and Tommen put her to death as retaliation ? Man. And the Arya scene: I wouldn't read too much into it. Arya will try too kill him but her sword won't pierce his chain mail, The Hound will knock some sense into her and that will be that.

yeah, I'm thinking the same. No way they would spoil Arya killing the Hound in a promo

Violet_0

Banned

I just think the show would be better without the Mother of Dragon, Bran, White Walkers and to a lesser extend Red God story arcs. All the Bran-rolling-his-eyes parts and Darth Maul White Walkers just look so goofy and out of place, like some Vampire Diaries outtakes. And I usually like fantasy stuff too, the very first scene in the first episode with the Wights is still one my favorites

Booties

Banned
If GRRM didnt have all these indefinitely long story arcs then how else will he keep writting books, making tv shows, and making millions of dollars for years and years? Duh.

I just think the show would be better without the Mother of Dragon, Bran, White Walkers and to a lesser extend Red God story arcs. All the Bran-rolling-his-eyes parts and Darth Maul White Walkers just look so goofy and out of place, like some Vampire Diaries outtakes. And I usually like fantasy stuff too, the very first scene in the first episode with the Wights is still one my favorites

there was only 1 wight in the first episode, it all it did was turn it's head. Most fantasy stuff looks goofy because it isn't real.

Dash27

That last scene. Geez. I was stressing about what they were going to do to the baby. Is it odd that i was relieved that they ONLY turned it into a frozen undead lich, I mean that was relatively innocuous for this show.

So, basically, you want to see every fantasy element from the story removed?

Booties

Banned
I think the show balances the fantasy stuff well. Much like the Tyrel grandmother, I get sick of watching people walk through gardens and hatch schemes to murder and backstab. Sometimes I need a break from all that talk and just want to see dragons and zombies and shit yo

Saying they're the weakest part of the show implies they've somehow been poorly handled. I don't see how that's the case, though. Are you sure you don't mean they're the least interesting element to you personally?

They just clash too hard with the somewhat grounded reality of the show. I'm far more interested in the cloak-and-dagger political intrigue of Westeros than some stupid looking zombies that have only been a vague threat for like 4 seasons now.

I loved Daeny creating her own Walk of Punishment out of slave masters, then basking in their screams as the Targaryen banner hung victoriously above her conquered city. One of her best moments.

Hell yes. Shows that she is not at all afraid to punish those who piss her off.

I am loving her character development from a scared slave girl for a Karl to becoming this queenly leader who is freeing all these cities with almost no losses whatsoever on her side.

I mean she has thrown down what, 3 cities now? She has a pretty large army to go along with the growing dragons.

Going to be interesting how she decides to cross the sea into Westeros. I had a brainfart and forgot all about them being across the sea and that being why the Dothraki are not considered threats in the first place to most lol.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

So you just want a political drama set in Kings Landing and nothing else?

Future

They just clash too hard with the somewhat grounded reality of the show. I'm far more interested in the cloak-and-dagger political intrigue of Westeros than some stupid looking zombies that have only been a vague threat for like 4 seasons now.

Those zombies are the reason key people are in certain places though

I actually like the way the fantasy is handled. Gives some intrigue that anything can happen, but that people politics is still the name if the game. Even Dany isn't using her dragons to take over cities, even though she could.

So Dani has an empire now. Nice. No more walking around, she actually starts ruling her empire in the east. Have to agree on the Xena critique though - while i love every shot of her acting as a powerful queen- especially the masters looked so 90s. All wear the same colorful dresses and the city cgi was rather bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom