• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

So, do the people in OP get a lot of PMs? I'd be up for answering people's questions through PM as well, but maybe it's not needed if they're not getting that much PMs.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
From the preview it sounds like
she now owns everything important on the desert continent except for Bravos
, so her conquest is bound to get more interesting.

I kind of wish her taking of Mereen was more than a just a single scene of a noble getting gang banged in an alley. I understand it happened fast but at least one more shot of a couple nobles getting killed(in the city, not on the crosses) would have been much more satisfying.
I wish they would touch on what happens to these cities after she frees the slaves and kills the masters. There is a big power vacuum plus a complete reordering of the structure of society. It's not like the jobs the slaves were doing don't need to be done, nor can I imagine that the slaves are rushing back to do the same jobs only as free men now. They are beginning to touch on it with the head unsullied maybe realizing that he is still effectively a slave as he is following the path his slave masters drilled into him.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Did you miss the entire conversation with Sansa and Littlefinger at the beginning of the episode?

Also I don't think Locke discussed anything like that. I thought he said he was sent there for poaching to get food for his own hungry children, and had to choose between losing a hand or taking the black as punishment.

Yeah, I misheard what he said entirely because of some background noise outside my house. He fed a "prized" partridge to his "starving" kids. "Prized" sounded like poisoned and when he said "me starving kids" it sounded like "three hundred kids". LOL.

Carry on.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, I misheard what he said entirely because of some background noise outside my house. He fed a "prized" partridge to his "starving" kids. "Prized" sounded like poisoned and when he said "me starving kids" it sounded like "three hundred kids". LOL.

Carry on.

Wait, you mean you don't watch with subtitles? It's the only way, dude.

Madrin

It was really just certain shots that contributed to the overall negative vibe I was getting from the episode. For the most part the show looked beautiful like it always does.

What bothered me the most was the dialogue in this episode. The discussion between Littlefinger and Sansa about the how's and why's of Joffrey's death, the Meereen slaves discussing the prospect of a revolt, Olenna using the expression "it was all the rage back then"... Too much of it lacked subtlety or just felt corny. GoT's dialogue usually manages to be interesting without sounding like obvious exposition or being cheesy, which is one of my favorite things about the show. I still enjoyed the episode but it was lacking in that area.

Violet_0

Banned
"A wise king listens to his councilors."
Oh, mother of dragons...

it was the right decision, the slave masters did some seriously chaotic evil shit. Barristan pleading for their lives was kind of weird really. She could have chosen a slightly less cruel method of execution perhaps but then again crucifixion used to be rather common in ancient times

Rur0ni

Yeah, but you're projecting your belief of producer concerns of controversy on a scene that would not have necessarily benefited from the change you're suggesting let alone been relevant to the characters. Just because it's medieval fantasy, and the lore is pretty flexible with sexual relations with children, doesn't mean it's relevant to this particular scene.

Think of the characters involved, their age, their mannerisms, and their goals. Tommen is just a boy. A boy that I'm sure at his age has sexual thoughts. But still a boy. One seemingly more concerned about his cat Sir Pounce than the hot chick in front of him who is also kinda giving him goose bumps because girls. Tommen is also displayed as relatively level headed, while also a bit shy and concerned about his situation.

Margaery is a morally balanced individual who desires to become queen but not at the expense of others and certainly not her own life. She's going to be trapped in King's Landing without protection from the other Tyrells while also being hunted by Cersei who'll be watching over Tommen like a hawk.

Hypothetically, Margaery's advances against Tommen, a clearly sexually oblivious child, spook or confuse him. Loose lips sink ships. He says the wrong thing, or no longer feels comfortable with her, and its her head on a stick. Tommen doesn't just have Margaery in his ear. He has Cersei. He has Tywin. He has the lords. He has a whole bunch of people telling him all kinds of shit as he struggles to now become king, after his sociopath older brother was murdered for the same thing.

Margaery seems to pretty accurately read Tommen's innocence and insecurities that come with his age. Listen to the dialogue, the way she tells him to tell her a secret, lets him open up a little about Joffrey, and supports his belief that his brother was cruel while letting him explain his own personality a little. Margaery does want to become queen, but the only way that's going to work in the current climate at King's Landing is to get the support of Tommen, which isn't going to happen if she throws herself on him sexually.

She sees that Tommen, the soon-to-be child king, probably just needs a friend. And she, a person that wants to get into power with Tommen, has the perfect opening in befriending him. I assume she has many more months to work with Tommen, all the while avoiding Cersei poisoning/assassinating her. No point rushing in just yet, not when she barely knows him and him her.

EDIT: The TLDR would be that you're right in that the kiss was very deliberate, but I don't think for the reasons you suggest. It wasn't an innocent kiss because producers fear backlash, but an innocent kiss because Margaery read Tommen's character and made the right call for the moment. Reny wanted to fuck/get fucked by Loris. Joffrey wanted to use hookers as target practice. Tommen just wants to play with kittens. Margaery has consistently shaped her interactions with all three of these characters based on their personality.
I completely agree with this post. She's manipulating well.

Overdoziz

Banned
it was the right decision, the slave masters did some seriously chaotic evil shit. Barristan pleading for their lives was kind of weird really. She could have chosen a slightly less cruel method of execution perhaps but then again crucifixion used to be rather common in ancient times
Just seems like an interesting thing to happen right after Tywin said that quote. Maybe it marks the beginning of Dany making some choices that will finally have some real consequences? I hope so, because things are going a bit too swimmingly for her. She's just cruising through a bunch of heavily fortified cities like it's nothing which is getting a bit silly/boring to be honest.

Rur0ni

Just seems like an interesting thing to happen right after Tywin said that quote. Maybe it marks the beginning of Dany making some choices that will finally have some real consequences? I hope so, because things are going a bit too swimmingly for her. She's just cruising through a bunch of heavily fortified cities like it's nothing which is getting a bit silly/boring to be honest.
Perhaps it's time for some drama again in her story.

-griffy-

Banned
How did the dude that chopped off Jaimie's hand end up being a crow? I couldn't quite understand what he said to Jon Snow.

His story was BS to get Jon to sympathize with him (he got caught stealing a partridge for his starving kids). He works for the Boltons.

In a previous episode, Ramsay gets Theon/Reek to admit that Bran and Rickon are still alive. When prodded, Theon also says a likely place for them to seek refuge would be with their brother Jon Snow at the wall, So Roose Bolton tasks Locke (guy who cut off Jaime's hand) with going north to take care of the Stark boys, with promise of a lordship should he succeed.

So he obviously just joined to be closer to Jon, and see if he knows anything about Bran and Rickon. Lo and behold he has now volunteered for the group going to Craster's, where Bran and Rickon are currently held.

IceCold

he was sent north to kill the Stark boys and is hoping for Snow to lead him to them

Oh right. Now I remember. thanks.

His story was BS to get Jon to sympathize with him (he got caught stealing a partridge for his starving kids). He works for the Boltons.

In a previous episode, Ramsay gets Theon/Reek to admit that Bran and Rickon are still alive. When prodded, Theon also says a likely place for them to seek refuge would be with their brother Jon Snow at the wall, So Roose Bolton tasks Locke (guy who cut off Jaime's hand) with going north to take care of the Stark boys, with promise of a lordship should he succeed.

So he obviously just joined to be closer to Jon, and see if he knows anything about Bran and Rickon. Lo and behold he has now volunteered for the group going to Craster's, where Bran and Rickon are currently held.

Ya, I had forgotten of that scene with Bolton. This will be interesting.

Arjen

That dude in the knightswatch is the same that cut off Jamie's hand right? I don't remember him going to the knightswatch or did that happen off camera?

/edit

Beaten like a slave owner I see.

Rur0ni

That dude in the knightswatch is the same that cut off Jamie's hand right? I don't remember him going to the knightswatch or did that happen off camera?
Off camera. Basically as was mentioned, he's Bolton's man, and sent after Theon said the boys were probably with Jon Snow beyond the wall.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Off camera. Basically as was mentioned, he's Bolton's man, and sent after Theon said the boys were probably with Jon Snow beyond the wall.

Yup, however I just now realized that the one dude in the Night's Watch, the one who convinced the guy who hates Jon Snow to let him go after Crastor's killers, is the same guy who was Captain of the City Guard in King's Landing who was removed by Tyrion after the baby killing fiasco.

So many characters, good thing I recently rewatched the entire series to understand all the connections and characters.

Carbonox

Great episode. Dat Jotunheim and the Frost Giants at the end. :p First thing that came to mind. Can't wait to find out more about these king whitewalkers or whatever they are.

I wish Bran and his wizard friends would get gutted. Fuck off. Jon and co can then wipe out the rebels, rescue the wolves and bang Leia. Boom. God bless Gandalf.

IceCold

Yup, however I just now realized that the one dude in the Night's Watch, the one who convinced the guy who hates Jon Snow to let him go after Crastor's killers, is the same guy who was Captain of the City Guard in King's Landing who was removed by Tyrion after the baby killing fiasco.

So many characters, good thing I recently rewatched the entire series to understand all the connections and characters.

Yup. It's hard to remember stuff sometimes since there are so many characters. I had rewatched seasons 1-3 before this season started. I would have been lost otherwise.

Rur0ni

Damn, that's who that is! First time I've really been legitimately like "who?". I guess I had to fail eventually.

Am I the only one who is scared that Sansa is being taken to the place with the crazy familiy member of Cathlyn Stark? That insane woman who was breast feeding her 12 year old son. goddammit.. of all the horrors in this show, this is by far the most creepy.

I HATE THAT WOMAN AND HER CREEPY KID.

I really feel for Sansa. Really. Sure she doesn't haven't the resolve of Arya or Bronn, but she has been through some tough shit.
The fact that Briar is going after her was awesome.

In my mind this was a great episode. I really would like to see the Tygerians knocking on Kings Landing. Dary's men are so such an amazing crew. ALL of them.

Ovid

Great episode. Dat Jotunheim and the Frost Giants at the end. :p First thing that came to mind. Can't wait to find out more about these king whitewalkers or whatever they are.

I wish Bran and his wizard friends would get gutted. Fuck off. Jon and co can then wipe out the rebels, rescue the wolves and bang Leia. Boom. God bless Gandalf.
LMFAO!!!

I like Bran.

Am I the only one who is scared that Sansa is being taken to the place with the crazy familiy member of Cathlyn Stark? That insane woman who was breast feeding her 12 year old son. goddammit.. of all the horrors in this show, this is by far the most creepy.

I HATE THAT WOMAN AND HER CREEPY KID.
Um yeah. Peter already mentioned that to Sansa.

Can't wait to find out more about these king whitewalkers or whatever they are.

I doubt it would happen, but how awesome would it be if the show started following the point of view of the white walker dude on the horse or just any white walker really. It really felt like I was watching a different show at the end there: weird ice castle ceremonial circle thing, a line of menacing figures dressed in black, some ice-king guy with horns turning babies to ice-babies for unknown reasons. I need to know more about all this but I fear were just going to be getting rare glimpses like the one last night, atleast for a while longer.

On a side note, I have no idea what story threads will come and go but could HBO even afford it if the story takes a turn into white walker land? We're already seeing how they can't just have CG dragons on screen every episode.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Have to agree with whomever mentioned earlier that things just seem to be going way too easy for Dany. She's already conquered 3-4 cities and lost basically nothing, compare that to the wars being fought over in Westeros.

These are cities with giant walls and buildings too, although I guess they weren't built with warfare in mind like the castles.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Have to agree with whomever mentioned earlier that things just seem to be going way too easy for Dany. She's already conquered 3-4 cities and lost basically nothing, compare that to the wars being fought over in Westeros.

These are cities with giant walls and buildings too, although I guess they weren't built with warfare in mind like the castles.

Spoiler from the book: her dragons eat her.
not really

wildfire

Banned
Oh wow, didn't know that the actor who is playing Margaery is 31 and Tommen is 16.

image.php

FTFY

Something that has thrown me off this episode is that Littlefinger said he is getting married to a relative of Sansa. This has to be true because he is going directly to where that woman is with Sansa so I have to wonder how Littlefinger is going to bed Sansa. I can't see any scenario where he can pull this off with Sansa's consent while the other woman is alive.

Ovid

Oh wow. I never connected those two.
Understandable, the show never really delved into their connection. It was mentioned in Season 1 though.

FTFY

Something that has thrown me off this episode is that Littlefinger said he is getting married to a relative of Sansa. This has to be true because he is going directly to where that woman is with Sansa so I have to wonder how Littlefinger is going to bed Sansa. I can't see any scenario where he can pull this off with Sansa's consent while the other woman is alive.
Marry Lysa. Kill Lysa and her son. Marry Sansa.

That's the way I see it happening.

Who would've thought a show containing ice-zombies, mind-controlled animals, and semi-tamed dragons about a fantasy-empire named Westoros, which is ruled by a king who sits on a throne forged of swords by dragon's fire, could contain fantasy elements?
Don't be rude. Not everyone is going to expect a fantasy story to have fantasy elements in it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Oh goddammit. Goddammit. All this time I didn't even notice there are two separate GoT threads. Having not read the books I think I want to stick with this one....

Worst episode of the show so far. I agree with the pacing, it's becoming a bit too slow in places that isn't needed.

Should've made more of Jamie's rape of his own sister.
No dragons at all for 2nd week make it feel like it's a budget issue.
Still don't care enough about Jon Snow or Bran (maybe just me).
No fucking Stannis again.

Enco

The whole Podrick and Brienne team up was awesome.

Jamie being a bro with Tyrion was cool. After his rape though....

Bran and his crew are awesome.

Hodor :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom