• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as concerned about the climax that GRRM writes as I am about HBO's version of it. If the series does end with a massive battle between all the armies, dragons, and White Walkers, I'm worried the show's budget constraints will hold it back big time.
There's a raise in view every single season. By the last season, they should be more than ok to dumb the special effects cash.

Showaddy

Edit: Rome was part funded by the BBC though. When they pulled out after the 1st season HBO weren't willing to pay the high costs of the series by themselves because they felt the ratings weren't high enough.

Rome was ~ 10 million an episode

I've read GOT is 6-7 on average with certain episodes going higher based on the amount of fx like the Battle of Blackwater.

Rome was ~ 10 million an episode

I've read GOT is 6-7 on average with certain episodes going higher based on the amount of fx like the Battle of Blackwater.

Rome was cancelled because of the budget wasn't it?

I rather the budget of GoT remain on the lower end if it means the show keeps going, story telling is more important anyway.

Lamel

Banned
I have a question, why did Jaime send Brienne to find Sansa? Is it because he wants to find her and kill/capture her? Or was it genuine?

Can anyone refresh my memory on who Locke is? Dont want to google in case of spoilers.

Dude that took Jamie's hand.

Seems to be a best bro of Lord Bolton, the dude who stabbed Rob in the heart.

He is going to use Jon to try to find the Stark boys and kill them, ending the line of Stark's and ensuring the north won't rise under them.

CLEEK

Can anyone refresh my memory on who Locke is? Dont want to google in case of spoilers.

He works for Roose Bolton. He's the dude who chopped of Jamie's hand.

Roose sent him up to Castle Black to try and find and kill Bran and his little brother, after dickless Theon said they were still alive and headed North of the wall.

alatif113

He works for Roose Bolton. He's the dude who chopped of Jamie's hand.

Roose sent him up to Castle Black to try and find and kill Bran and his little brother, after dickless Theon said they were still alive and headed North of the wall.

Dude that took Jamie's hand.

Seems to be a best bro of Lord Bolton, the dude who stabbed Rob in the heart.

He is going to use Jon to try to find the Stark boys and kill them, ending the line of Stark's and ensuring the north won't rise under them.

Roose Bolton's friend and the guy who chopped Jaime's hand off.

He's the guy that chopped off Jaime's hand

Ahhhh, now i remember. Thanks guys.

demolitio

Ahhhh, now i remember. Thanks guys.

Or alternatively, he's a paralyzed guy who was part of a bad plane crash and learned to walk again, then lost control of his body and did some crazy things.

Seriously though, I forgot who he was at first and started to like him thinking of someone else, but then once it clicked he went back to my shit-list. Bran is too important to die by him anyway so I'm not worried...I just hate how the Boltons will most likely be huge villains for a while as the wardens of the north.

Rickon on the other hand. He better learn some cool fucking abilities soon or else I fear he might be collateral damage. You know Bran is going to live for a while by the way his story is still unfolding, but Rickon? Most people probably don't even remember his name. Poor guy.

So in conclusion, Rickon will sit on the throne in King's Landing after Stannis accidentally makes a light-hearted joke about the Lord of Light which he/she/it took as sacrilege and killed him with another demon baby. :D

Fuck I had the worst day and this thread cheers me up in a weird way. Great show to discuss.

This thread often has me scratching my head. Are some of you guys texting or multitasking while watching the show?

Names being forgotten is understandable, but people forget stuff from 2 weeks ago.

subrock

So, this Karl guy at Craster's place. Is he related to Karl Drogo?
A man after my own heart! That combines two of my favorite jokes:
1) ask 2 people with the same first name if they are related.
2) only refer to Karl Drogo as Karl Drogo.

Sepp

Banned
What happened across the narrow sea was again forgettable.

The way Daenerys took over the city, how they cheered her afterwards, like a bad B-movie.

Also, they should not overdo it with the CGI, I like the "natural look" of the show.

Sounds like she's not all that removed from the insanity that plagued her relatives and ancestors.

Maybe I'm just an asshole but I don't find anything in that "insane", just mid-evil ish justice served on slave masters who killed 160 something of their own slave child girls and hung em up like highway signs JUST to send her a message.

No sure what you do with people willing to kill children like that simply because they see them as things to throw away.

I mean ... I'm not exactly sure what else she could do that wouldn't likely bite her in the ass down the road like with that Shaman Witch lady. Let a bunch of slavers free to go out and plot against her? Make them prisoners that could escape and seek revenge? Make them stand as equals to everyone else under her rule so that they can fuck her over down the line? How would her new subjects feel about that?

Dany learned the "No half measures" rule, time to start crackin that whip and earning some respect from her baby (kid/ preteen?) Dragons.

BTW ... i wonder what she plans to do with the Slaver's kids. I'm pretttty damn sure they would have had kids ... right? I'm also pretty sure some kids would be old enough to remember this day and seek revenge and their family and life-style would have taken a huge drop.

Alpende

Liked the episode. I'm really intrigued by the White Walkers. They are pretty much the only characters with the most mystery around them. I hope this season focusses more on them.

Dany's storyline is pretty cool as well. Her punishing the masters, standing on that big ass tower and hearing them scream was a badass moment.

Also, Adventure time with Hound and Ayra :(.

demolitio

Yeah i hope he gets to rule for a while, but we know what end await good people (especially if they are kings) in this show :'(

Yea, I feel like he'll be the good one that will pay for the sins of his family. He'll end up being a good king that brings some stability to the region only to get killed by Stannis once he invades again in my opinion.

Also, did Dany's journey this week remind anyone else of Alexander the Great for some reason? The city just reminded me of Babylon and there she is now ruling one of the most gorgeous cities in the world just to end up moving on to try and achieve much larger goals instead of being happy with what they got.

Prototype

just got hbo go and binge watched this over the last week, all caught up now.

Great show, and the opening song is amazing. Do the new episodes appear on Hbo Go right as it airs, "live"?

potam

Banned

Great show, and the opening song is amazing. Do the new episodes appear on Hbo Go right as it airs, "live"?

"Yes."

HBOGo is notorious for putting up episodes immediately, and even then it seems to become available to people randomly. But for the most part, you can assume that within 10 minutes of it airing you can start watching.

They tried that. Didn't work out. Who would have though that millions of people simultaneously accessing the same website would slow it down?

Prototype

"Yes."

HBOGo is notorious for putting up episodes immediately, and even then it seems to become available to people randomly. But for the most part, you can assume that within 10 minutes of it airing you can start watching.

They tried that. Didn't work out. Who would have though that millions of people simultaneously accessing the same website would slow it down?

thanks for the posts guys. Now I'm wondering if waiting, or watching it later at night or even the next day would be better.

Also, I have a question about the show, the title cards introducing the show always say "song of fire and ice" isn't that just the 1st book in the series? If the show continues to be popular will we be getting 4+ seasons for each book? i hope so :)

thanks for the posts guys. Now I'm wondering if waiting, or watching it later at night or even the next day would be better.

Also, I have a question about the show, the title cards introducing the show always say "song of fire and ice" isn't that just the 1st book in the series? If the show continues to be popular will we be getting 4+ seasons for each book? i hope so :)

Just wait like an hour after it airs and the traffic won't be too bad.

Nah the first season was the game of throne book, we way past that now. We are actually
going to reach a point where the show will be caught up with the book, and then probably take a different route than the books because they don't have time to wait for the books.

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is the name of the series. "A Game of Thrones" is the first book.

Season 1 and 2 more or less followed their respective novels. Season 3 and 4 cover roughly the content in book 3 but it's getting more blurred.

The showrunners plan to have either 7 or 8 seasons. GRRM has briefed Benioff and Weiss on how the series ends, should he not finish the books in time for the series to be produced. Which would be weird for book readers I imagine.

Nerokis

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is the name of the series. "A Game of Thrones" is the first book.

Season 1 and 2 more or less followed their respective novels. Season 3 and 4 cover roughly the content in book 3 but it's getting more blurred.

The showrunners plan to have either 7 or 8 seasons. GRRM has briefed Benioff and Weiss on how the series ends, should he not finish the books in time for the series to be produced. Which would be weird for book readers I imagine.

Interesting... Is there a sense that the next book will be the final one, or something? Otherwise, what're the chances GRRM will manage to finish up the series on time? It seems he's not one to rush things.

Alpende

Interesting... Is there a sense that the next book will be the final one, or something? Otherwise, what're the chances GRRM will manage to finish up the series on time? It seems he's not one to rush things.

According to wikipedia the next book is book 6 and book 7 is also planned.

Dabanton

This thread often has me scratching my head. Are some of you guys texting or multitasking while watching the show?

Names being forgotten is understandable, but people forget stuff from 2 weeks ago.

From reading most TV threads on here it seems people are typing on the internet while watching the show.

I just find that too distracting now, Once a show starts I close my laptop. I know the shared communal thing is fun but it means you miss so much dialogue and detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom