• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all buildup for a marvelous extended wuxia-style fight sequence where Arya uses her graceful yet deadly water dancing skills to beautifully execute everyone on her list.

Morts

I don't think anyone can argue Water Dancing sucks, the only reason Syrio lost is because he had a wooden sword. If he had a real one he'd have won easily, that much was obvious. He beat four guys unconscious without taking a single hit himself, Water Dancing is beastly.

Also holy shit at the Little Finger reveal. That came out of nowhere.

Every time Syrio comes up I get frustrated that he didn't take a sword from one of those guys he beat up.

Wow...this episode...great stuff. Revelations and stuff.

- Jon Arryn murderer revealed! (WHOAAA...WTF moment)
- Hodor and the neck snap! (WHOAA...that escalated quickly!)
- Jon Snow fight (Jon would've lost in a straight duel)
- Brienne & Pod (might seem insignificant, but great scene)
- Arya & The Hound (Love the interactions of this two)
- Tywin's reveal ("doesn't matter, amount's the same")
- Daenaerys (do what Queens do)

I was disappointed Jon Snow lost to Karl.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Every time Syrio comes up I get frustrated that he didn't take a sword from one of those guys he beat up.

I know, I was yelling at the TV when it was happening for him to grab a sword. It seems like the only reason he died was because the plot demanded it, not because he was out matched.

Well what I figure is he knew the Lannister were the strongest in the 7 kingdoms. So by getting rid of Arryn and blaming it on the Lannister he can get the starks to go at the Lannister (I'm not 100% sure but I always figure that Eddard, Robert and Jon were like 3 brothers so they do anything to avenge the others). And of course when you go to war you spend money thus the more money the Lannister spend the more debt they are in and their power slowly starts to dwindle until it reaches the point when he can claim the spot the Lannister had at the start of the show.

I like this idea. Make all the big houses destroy each other while you acquire land, and army and power while no one notices. And when they're all weak from war, come in and mop up, then become the new head honcho.

This is all buildup for a marvelous extended wuxia-style fight sequence where Arya uses her graceful yet deadly water dancing skills to beautifully execute everyone on her list.

I would have much prefered if she went with that assassin guy, learnt how to be an assassin and then killed off the people.

Nameless

Its not like he got his ass kicked though. Karl was just better.

I don't know about better, but he did drive home a point the show often makes...Those willing to fight dirty will always have an advantage over those who fight honorably.

Still he impressed me. With knife skills like that he had to be a fuckin legend in Flea Bottom. Craster never stood a chance.

Not sure if Jon had faced someone fighting with two daggers before. Understandable he was struggling.

The whole time I was thinking, daggers are going to win. It's an enclosed space, and you only have one heavy blade against two fast daggers. All it takes is the guy with the daggers to get inside your range and you're dead.

And he did win, until one of the Freys saved Jon's ass.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would have much prefered if she went with that assassin guy, learnt how to be an assassin and then killed off the people.

I think she'll do it at some point, it seems like many plot lines are heading to Braavos. The Kingdoms are indebted to the Iron Bank, she has free passage there so long as she can find a man from Braavos and Daenerys and her army are on that continent. We'll be seeing it eventually I think, one way or another.

Jaeger

What if Serio is not dead, and he was the assassin in disguise (or Serio was the disguise)?

We never saw him get killed on screen. Yet, we did see the assassin captured. Makes sense if that was Serio captured, who then disguised himself as someone else while in captivity. Then him seeing Aria, he knew she'd free him.

Peagles

What if Serio is not dead, and he was the assassin in disguise (or Serio was the disguise)?

We never saw him get killed on screen. Yet, we did see the assassin captured. Makes sense if that was Serio captured, who then disguised himself as someone else while in captivity. Then him seeing Aria, he knew she'd free him.

OMG that would be so cool.

But if there's anything I know about this show, it's that anything I think would be cool never happens, lol.

demolitio

Why? Isn't Karl supposed to be a veteran assassin or something? He's supposed to be good in combat. Jon? He's still a pup.

Exactly. I found it acceptable although the only question I had is how were Karl's daggers stopping a Valyrian blade? I was waiting for him to just take one big swing and go right through his daggers...lol

I still have a feeling Roose Bolton is going to be around for a long time. It's no coincidence they gave us his first "homecoming" scene the same episode as the previous most hated character dies and now that he's Warden of the North, I could see him taking advantage of any chaos that's soon to follow. Littlefinger has Sansa, his "key to the North" and a lot of the families will rally around her up there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Roose makes some big moves and makes Winterfell his home for right now while planning his next evil plan. I just think he's meant to be the next guy we hope to die but end up having to wait seasons for.

As for Walder Frey, he might continue to live for quite a while with most viewers forgetting about him only to be reminded of him by some sort of event making people want his death the most. The series likes to cycle villains so there's always a hook for the viewers that like justice when justice is nowhere near immediate or expected in this world.

I expect Stannis to use the Iron Bank to make his moves and I wouldn't be surprised if Tommen turns out be a great king only to be interrupted by Stannis invading and taking over the throne in the ultimate bit of irony. Finally Westeros gets a decent king that brings some stability just to be taken out and spark more conflicts throughout the kingdom as I doubt a lot of houses would be in the mood for the Lord of Light taking over their religions.

Like I said, the religious aspect of the show is by far the most intriguing to me and I can't wait to figure out what's going on there as there definitely seems to be SOMETHING that causes all the supernatural events. Are the Old Gods rising up to combat the Lord of Light while The Seven turns out to be false (or any variation of that)? The White Walkers and other events seem to suggest the Old Gods are rooted in some sort of power but are any supernatural occurrences attributed to The Seven? We all know the Lord of Light is bringing some nasty shit in probably the most ironic nickname ever considering the shadow demon baby shit.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. Started out with one thought when 20 others rushed my head. Damn show.

I don't think anyone can argue Water Dancing sucks, the only reason Syrio lost is because he had a wooden sword. If he had a real one he'd have won easily, that much was obvious. He beat four guys unconscious without taking a single hit himself, Water Dancing is beastly.

Also holy shit at the Little Finger reveal. That came out of nowhere.

Yeah, I agree. I was just thinking of the Hound mocking Arya, and I thought, "That can't possibly be true, can it?" And then I thought back to that Dothraki Bloodrider who was probably a better fighter than Jorah getting his ass handed to him cause lol armor and big fucking sword.

I want to see some Water Dancing. I want to see more fights in general. Karl vs Jon Snow was fun.

This fucking show has way too many characters and 10 episodes aren't enough.. Is anyone keeping count of the screen time each character gets per episode/season?

Speevy

Banned
This fucking show has way too many characters and 10 episodes aren't enough.. Is anyone keeping count of the screen time each character gets per episode/season?

At least there aren't characters getting screen time for just standing around like Stannis did last season.

Exactly. I found it acceptable although the only question I had is how were Karl's daggers stopping a Valyrian blade? I was waiting for him to just take one big swing and go right through his daggers...lol

I still have a feeling Roose Bolton is going to be around for a long time. It's no coincidence they gave us his first "homecoming" scene the same episode as the previous most hated character dies and now that he's Warden of the North, I could see him taking advantage of any chaos that's soon to follow. Littlefinger has Sansa, his "key to the North" and a lot of the families will rally around her up there, but I wouldn't be surprised if Roose makes some big moves and makes Winterfell his home for right now while planning his next evil plan. I just think he's meant to be the next guy we hope to die but end up having to wait seasons for.

As for Walder Frey, he might continue to live for quite a while with most viewers forgetting about him only to be reminded of him by some sort of event making people want his death the most. The series likes to cycle villains so there's always a hook for the viewers that like justice when justice is nowhere near immediate or expected in this world.

I expect Stannis to use the Iron Bank to make his moves and I wouldn't be surprised if Tommen turns out be a great king only to be interrupted by Stannis invading and taking over the throne in the ultimate bit of irony. Finally Westeros gets a decent king that brings some stability just to be taken out and spark more conflicts throughout the kingdom as I doubt a lot of houses would be in the mood for the Lord of Light taking over their religions.

Like I said, the religious aspect of the show is by far the most intriguing to me and I can't wait to figure out what's going on there as there definitely seems to be SOMETHING that causes all the supernatural events. Are the Old Gods rising up to combat the Lord of Light while The Seven turns out to be false (or any variation of that)? The White Walkers and other events seem to suggest the Old Gods are rooted in some sort of power but are any supernatural occurrences attributed to The Seven? We all know the Lord of Light is bringing some nasty shit in probably the most ironic nickname ever considering the shadow demon baby shit.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. Started out with one thought when 20 others rushed my head. Damn show.

Were any gods closely associated with the Targaryens? The dragons are some grade A legitimate Actual Magic (tm) as far as I can tell, but they seem to be the only magical thing not affiliated with some religion unless my memory is faulty.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I agree. I was just thinking of the Hound mocking Arya, and I thought, "That can't possibly be true, can it?" And then I thought back to that Dothraki Bloodrider who was probably a better fighter than Jorah getting his ass handed to him cause lol armor and big fucking sword.

I want to see some Water Dancing. I want to see more fights in general. Karl vs Jon Snow was fun.

I think it also comes down to experience. The Bloodrider never fought an armored foe before and struck right on the armor, like Arya did, and failed. Syrio seemed to know exactly how to hit his attackers to cause maximum damage, all he had was a stick and he was still able to knock out 4 knights like it was nothing.

The show just showed us with Little Finger's actions that brute force doesn't always win. The Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons all fought it out with their armies, with brute force, while Little Finger used trickery and misdirection, dancing around his foes, using their strength against them and looks to be coming out on top.

The Karl vs Jon Snow fight also showed us how Little Finger will lose. He'll take his eyes off the prize and get distracted for a moment, which is all it will take for someone to take him out.

demolitio

Were any gods closely associated with the Targaryens? The dragons are some grade A legitimate Actual Magic (tm) as far as I can tell, but they seem to be the only magical thing not affiliated with some religion unless my memory is faulty.

They originally worshiped the Valyrian gods before converting to The Seven. Hell, maybe that's what lead to their downfall as well by abandoning their gods (to go along with the obvious natural reasons of their demise).

To me, it seems like all the old religions plus the Red God seem to have some sort of supernatural elements tied to them whether it's attributed to them or not, but I can't think of anything for The Faith of the Seven. It's a really intriguing story that we'll never fully understand until the last season probably...lol

It just seems like the religions have been on the backburner for a long time but have been slowly building up to become a huge issue in the future.

Alpende

Littlefinger man, he's like the most influental man in Westeros without anyone knowing it. Loved the episode, loved the interaction between Arya and The Hound (again) and Lysa is still bonkers as hell.

Cyan

Banned

Goddammit, this will totally happen.

demolitio

Goddammit, this will totally happen.

I at least see the first part most likely happening. GRRM loves to throw curveballs at people and break some normal story cliches with irony and flipping the tables, etc. and that seems perfect to me in the sense that originally people are going to hate Tommen just because he's a Lannister but then realize he's not the worst option out there and can do a good job despite how he got there just to have that turned upside down by Stannis invading with a large army and financial backing.

Whether or not people rise up against Stannis if he becomes king is more uncertain but I don't see things slowing down considering that's what keeps the story going and they keep subtly mentioning the religious differences between all these houses and Stannis would be bringing a new religion to all of them. I liked Stannis originally but I fear him being king with Melisandre at his side.

I just hope Tommen gets to consummate his marriage before shit hits the fan. :p

Edit: This is the one time I hope I'm wrong though. It just feels like it will be that way and I'll have to wait 3 years to get my supernatural answers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dany's storyline needs some conflict. Something to stop her achieving her goals. Her liberation tour of Essos has seemed all to easy so far and she doesn't "need" anything like an army, ships, or safety.

A villain would be nice here. Someone to put a face to. Maybe the fact that Jorah mentioned a "butcher named Cleon" (don't know the spelling) might lead somewhere.
This is what I'm getting from it. We'll see some conflict soon I guess.

Weakest episode of the season IMO. No real movement except at Crasters keep. Brienne and pod are still an awkward couple. Hound and Arya are still going nowhere. Nothing worthwhile happened in Kings landing either. Both of Cercie's scenes could have been cut out and it wouldnt have made any difference.

Felt like a filler episode.

Juz

Damn Littlefinger is such a sneaky bastard.

Love the Arya/Hound & Brienne/Pod pairings. Always some great banter between them.

Moaradin

Weakest episode of the season IMO. No real movement except at Crasters keep. Brienne and pod are still an awkward couple. Hound and Arya are still going nowhere. Nothing worthwhile happened in Kings landing either. Both of Cercie's scenes could have been cut out and it wouldnt have made any difference.

Lol, the Littlefinger scene was filler? That was like, one of the biggest megaton reveals in the show right there.

not sure if serious....

sinxtanx

I'm pretty grateful for Valyrian steel just being a bit sharper and stronger than regular steel, and not weeaboo wet dream katana annoying. Valyrian steel swords seem more like a prestige thing than an actual advantage anyway, Tywin mentioning in the opening that "now we have one as well" sounded like fuck yes we're finally a proper house

Alpende

This was one of the most boring episodes ever. Maybe it's due to how I felt about the previous episode but still...

Littlefinger being the sole reason almost everything in the story has happened so far is a big enough reason not to be bored with the episode.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I just hope Tommen gets to consummate his marriage before shit hits the fan. :p

I would be sad for 3 reasons if this didn't happen:

A) Tommen seems nice and like he'd be a great king, not just for a Lannister

B) the last 2 episodes have been building up their romance kinda, so they better get to bang

C) she's hot and I'll never complain about more nude scenes. Though they'd probably have to keep it modest, given how young Tommen's actor is.

Ein Bear

The Littlefinger reveal was awesome, though I thought the delivery was a bit clunky. "WHO ELSE WOULD HAVE POISONED HIM AND ALSO SENT A LETTER BLAMING THE LANNISTERS!?"

Really great episode though, loved the Hound shitting on the sword teacher. I'm hoping that the series finale features Hodor hulking out and fighting a dragon, his scene this week was amazing.

So, they've probably explained this at some point, but should Bran eventually be able to possess virtually anything living, or is it just because Hodor is simple? The kid's obviously still got a way to go in the ways of warging - like I doubt he'd be able to pull off some of the stuff Mackenzie Crook was doing with eagles last series - but is there any reason he wouldn't be able to possess, say... a White Walker later on?

Braag

I was disappointed Jon Snow lost to Karl.

It was indoors though, Jon has a longsword while Karl has daggers.

Remember what Oberyn said to that Lannister soldier at the brothel in the first episode of the season right after impaling his wrist with a dagger? "Longsword is a bad option in close quarters".
Jon should've taken the fight outside where he could handle the sword better.
And Karl wasn't just some common thug, he was the top paid killer in Gin Alley, a fookin legend!

So, they've probably explained this at some point, but should Bran eventually be able to possess virtually anything living, or is it just because Hodor is simple? The kid's obviously still got a way to go in the ways of warging - like I doubt he'd be able to pull off some of the stuff Mackenzie Crook was doing with eagles last series - but is there any reason he wouldn't be able to possess, say... a White Walker later on?

I think he can possess Hodor because he has a "simple mind".
I wonder if he can possess actual giants since Hodor only has giant blood in him but isn't an actual giant.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

I think it's just because hodor is simple. As for the comparison with Crook I think he's more advanced because the way people reacted when he first silenced Hodor in season 3 was sheer shock. That shit clearly aint normal

sgossard

And Karl wasn't just some common thug, he was the top paid killer in Gin Alley, a fookin legend!

He wot m8?

Great episode. All storylines keep opening up and branching.I wonder at what ponit they will start to find closure. The whole last season (or book) may be a chapter finale for every character. Loving this.

Flo_Evans

Didn't they send Jon to fight Karl because they thought he would lose?

I didn't think valierian steel was magic, it was just something indicating royalty. Like when Karl notices bran's leather shirt is high quality, he knows he is not a commoner.

Not sure if Jon had faced someone fighting with two daggers before. Understandable he was struggling.

Before getting sent out, he'd made a point of telling everyone in the training yard that the Wildlings often fought with a 2-weapon style. He had Grenn come at him with 2 swords to demonstrate that they should focus on removing one of the Wildling's weapons as quickly as possible to not be at a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom