• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wasn't there a theory here that Jon may be Benjen's son? I'm almost certain there was because this is the only place I read about GoT. Also, what happened to Benjen?
I think he went North of the wall on an expedition and wasn't heard of again?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Umm, no they are not involved. Tywin point blank tells Oberyn that there is no 7 kingdoms without Dorne, and that they need Dorne if Dany ever comes back. Remember he tells him that Dorne are the only ones to withstand the original Targaryen invasion, and he was going to give Obeyrn a seat on the small council to make amends. Prince Obeyrn hates the Lannister's guts, and I suppose the rest of Dorne does too. Plus, when have you seen Middle Eastern looking dudes running around fighting against Rob and company? In my opinion, from the way that scene went down between Tywin And Prince Oberyn, I do believe that Dorne is not under direct control of the crown at the moment, and Tywin is trying to get them back under the fold.

I said allied, not under direct control. The whole point of sending them Cercsei's daughter was to get them on their side, the Prince may be out for revenge but he hadn't join up with Stark and the North. That would have been made into a much bigger thing had it happened. They wouldn't have needed the wedding if they had a new infusion of troops. Something obviously happened between the two houses during the rebellion, we found out what it was the day the Prince showed up. The mad king had been married to a dornish noble woman, I can't remember the rest but they're pretty pissed at Jamie. Which seems to be a recurring theme.

televator

Aw shit, my bad.

At this point I'd have figured that much of the backstory would be known via HBOs own material (which is where I got ideas from), but rules are rules and I overstepped it. If it didn't air on the show proper, we don't talk about it. Got it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I said allied, not under direct control. The whole point of sending them Cercsei's daughter was to get them on their side, the Prince may be out for revenge but he hadn't join up with Stark and the North. That would have been made into a much bigger thing had it happened. They wouldn't have needed the wedding if they had a new infusion of troops. Something obviously happened between the two houses during the rebellion, we found out what it was the day the Prince showed up. The mad king had been married to a dornish noble woman, I can't remember the rest but they're pretty pissed at Jamie. Which seems to be a recurring theme.

It wasn't the mad king who was married to Princess Elia, it was his son. I really don't think that alliance involved aid of any sort. It would have been mentioned. You would have seen the evidence of Dornish troops in the rest of Westeros helping the Lannisters. To me it seemed like Tyrion's move to send Myrcella to Dorne was to spite Cersei and figuring out who was spying on him. There's nothing that indicates the Lannisters gained anything from Dorne as a result. If they did, you wouldn't have Tywin prancing around trying to convince Oberyn that Dorne and the Lannisters need to team up.

I think that Dorne is like the United States during WWI. They don't care what the other 6 kingdoms are doing and are being isolationist. If they we're in alliance with the some of the other houses, you would have seen some evidence of it in the prior 3 seasons. Remember, Tyrion sends Myrcella to Dorne before Stannis arrived with his fleet. So how come Dorne doesn't send any help to Kings Landing if they're allied to each other?

Beautiful Death for "First of His Name"

BnNdbVgIUAAykPy.png

Curufinwe

It wasn't the mad king who was married to Princess Elia, it was his son. I really don't think that alliance involved aid of any sort. It would have been mentioned. You would have seen the evidence of Dornish troops in the rest of Westeros helping the Lannisters. To me it seemed like Tyrion's move to send Myrcella to Dorne was to spite Cersei and figuring out who was spying on him.

Just because there wasn't direct aid doesn't mean Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne just for kicks.

Heshinsi

Just because there wasn't direct aid doesn't mean Tyrion sent Myrcella to Dorne just for kicks.

But that's where my whole point is coming from. He initially stated that the Vale have the only untouched troops in the kingdom. That's a notion I disagree with.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But that's where my whole point is coming from. He initially stated that the Vale have the only untouched troops in the kingdom. That's a notion I disagree with.

Even if they don't, the fact Dorne didn't do jack shit in the war of 5 kings--as you feel they did--shows they wouldn't do much if Little Finger tries something. If you're right then Stannis literally marched on King's Landing and they did all of jack shit, they didn't support anyone. I'd say they'll do the same if Little Finger tries an assault on King's Landing, but odds are he won't be that overt. When Little Finger makes his big move no one will see it coming and Dorne is going to do shit to stop him. They don't seem interested in the game of thrones.

Bit-Bit

I'm very curious as to what the hell the trees have anything to do with all of this conflict.

My guess is that there is going to be something that is the equivalent of White Walkers but for the humans. It would be one hell of a way for the Starks to come back to their Northern territory and reclaim the North as king.

Is anyone else distracted by how big the two Stark boys have gotten? I feel like they're still kids but they are huge.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very curious as to what the hell the trees have anything to do with all of this conflict.

My guess is that there is going to be something that is the equivalent of White Walkers but for the humans. It would be one hell of a way for the Starks to come back to their Northern territory and reclaim the North as king.

Is anyone else distracted by how big the two Stark boys have gotten? I feel like they're still kids but they are huge.

Those trees have seen some shit. I'm just thinking Bran can tap into the memories of any of the trees that have faces carved into them, which would give him a lot of info.

Heshinsi

Even if they don't, the fact Dorne didn't do jack shit in the war of 5 kings--as you feel they did--shows they wouldn't do much if Little Finger tries something. If you're right then Stannis literally marched on King's Landing and they did all of jack shit, they didn't support anyone. I'd say they'll do the same if Little Finger tries an assault on King's Landing, but odds are he won't be that overt. When Little Finger makes his big move no one will see it coming and Dorne is going to do shit to stop him. They don't seem interested in the game of thrones.

In that we agree in. I don't think Dorne cares at all about the Iron Throne. With Littlefinger's ambitions though, it depends on how far he wants to push this whole Seven Kingdoms business. Would he be content with six kingdoms, or will he push for Dorne as well?

You've seen Rickon? Dude has been MIA since last season lol

Pretty soon it will be hilarious watching Hordor carrying Bran on his back while his feet drag on the floor.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In that we agree in. I don't think Dorne cares at all about the Iron Throne. With Littlefinger's ambitions though, it depends on how far he wants to push this whole Seven Kingdoms business. Would he be content with six kingdoms, or will he push for Dorne as well?

That depends on how he comes to power. If he is a conqueror then you may be right, but if he finds a way to have them all crown him normally then what is Dorne going to do? Rebel?

Nameless

It would be interesting to see how Dorne responded now. Ironically years of neutrality has earned them a seat on the small council, and put them within spitting distance of the Throne. Should something happen to Tommen, or he fails to have any sons, Myrcella's first born son to the young prince of Dorne would be King. Dornish wine for all!

I LOVED the incredulity in the Hound's voice when he says "The first sword of Bravos didn't have a sword?". He sounded like a little kid, his voice got all high. Like it was truly fucking hilarious to him. lol

His voice is very different this season.
I heard it might be because this is how he normally talks. At King's Landing since he is front of nobles and the most important people, he has a different "persona".

Anyone think that by the time winter officially comes, the Starks (ones that are alive) are going to start fucking shit up? It seems like they're going to crushed until then, then it's their ball game along with the White Walkers.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I heard it might be because this is how he normally talks. At King's Landing since he is front of nobles and the most important people, he has a different "persona".

Anyone think that by the time winter officially comes, the Starks (ones that are alive) are going to start fucking shit up? It seems like they're going to crushed until then, then it's their ball game along with the White Walkers.

The Starks seemingly excel when it comes to any type of battle. When they try playing politics though, it goes bad, really bad.

Sansa needs to learn how to swing a sword.

Ovid

Wait, so prior to Petyr's "Chaos is a ladder" speech Varys calls the Iron Throne the "Lysa Arryn of chairs".

Should we have known something there? I totally missed that.

"Lysa Arryn of Chairs..." Not actually fun to be atop, but occasionally necessary? That's the best I got.

Hmmmm this may be the Game of Pessimism talking here, but yes, I would say that Jon is gonna be in a position to take a tremendous number of white walkers down with him when he dies as the frontline dude of the war.

Then, by the time winter comes, sansa will be sick of lysa's shit and just kill Lysa, robin, and littlefinger as they sleep.

Arya will clear out her murderlist and discover she's developed a taste for it, and just go HAM killing anything that gives her half an excuse.

Rickon will accidentally grow a personality and become new lord of the north by default somehow.

And by then, bran will be a good enough warg to brain-control like 10 things at a time and will force the boltons to eat each other alive or something, IDK man.

Basically I expect this show to reduce all its characters to bitter sociopaths or corpses.

Tho it seems like the Lannisters have done such a spectacular job of being gigantic cocks that by the time winter arrives other people may have done all the work for the starks.

Mario007

Wait, so prior to Petyr's "Chaos is a ladder" speech Varys calls the Iron Throne the "Lysa Arryn of chairs".

Should we have known something there? I totally missed that.

Varys: "An ugly old thing" (referring to the Iron Throne)
Littlefinger: "Aye, but it has a certain...appeal"
Varys: "The Lysa Arryn of chairs!"

It's a simple joke on Littlefinger's ambition.

The Starks seemingly excel when it comes to any type of battle. When they try playing politics though, it goes bad, really bad.

Sansa needs to learn how to swing a sword.
Sansa will learn to play the game (or die)

"Lysa Arryn of Chairs..." Not actually fun to be atop, but occasionally necessary? That's the best I got.

Hmmmm this may be the Game of Pessimism talking here, but yes, I would say that Jon is gonna be in a position to take a tremendous number of white walkers down with him when he dies as the frontline dude of the war.

Then, by the time winter comes, sansa will be sick of lysa's shit and just kill Lysa, robin, and littlefinger as they sleep.

Arya will clear out her murderlist and discover she's developed a taste for it, and just go HAM killing anything that gives her half an excuse.

Rickon will accidentally grow a personality and become new lord of the north by default somehow.

And by then, bran will be a good enough warg to brain-control like 10 things at a time and will force the boltons to eat each other alive or something, IDK man.

Basically I expect this show to reduce all its characters to bitter sociopaths or corpses.

Tho it seems like the Lannisters have done such a spectacular job of being gigantic cocks that by the time winter arrives other people may have done all the work for the starks.
My guess is by book 7 if they're not dead, Jon and Bran will be alive. I heard Jon might be George's wife's favorite, and Bran has to live towards the end for the prophecy. They can still die at the end, but I think they will make until book 7. Would be pretty hilarious if they're both dead by book 5 and every book reader is laughing at me as they read this... :S I think Danny will get killed towards the end as well since the dragons are needed vs the White Walkers.

I agree everyone turning for the worse though. Jon I think is the only one with a chance to be kind of good.

Edit: I'm no longer an unsullied, I'm officially a member on neogaf
XWX7hmo.jpg

Curufinwe

I watched season 1 episode 1 again last night. Seeing so many characters in full health who are now either dead or mutilated/crippled was a bit depressing. Watching that scene where Cat gets the letter from her sister was interesting. I never once questioned Lysa's claim that the Lannisters killed her husband Jon Arryn. It just seemed so obviously true.

It was good to be reminded of what an arrogant scumbag Jaime was back then. At heart I think he still is.

televator

You all know what? I say Benjen... Benjin(?)... Ben Stark is alive. Even given how cynical this show is, thoroughly killing off an entire generation of Starks is kinda bordering on ridiculous.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I watched season 1 episode 1 again last night. Seeing so many characters in full health who are now either dead or mutilated/crippled was a bit depressing. Watching that scene where Cat gets the letter from her sister was interesting. I never once questioned Lysa's claim that the Lannisters killed her husband Jon Arryn. It just seemed so obviously true.

It was good to be reminded of what an arrogant scumbag Jaime was back then. At heart I think he still is.

Surely Littlefinger told Jon Arryn to look into the legitimacy of Robert's children in the first place as well.

Zeppu

I watched season 1 episode 1 again last night. Seeing so many characters in full health who are now either dead or mutilated/crippled was a bit depressing.

I turned it into a drinking game. Shot for every one who is dead/mutilated/crippled. Works great.

Benjen is either a wight, held captive by Mance, or working with Mance. I doubt they just killed him off screen.
Yeah,I've been thinking of him by the nickname "chekov's uncle" cause just burying the body unseen in the forest doesn't seem to be this universe's style. Grrm would do horrible things to us but will make sure we know exactly how horrible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah,I've been thinking of him by the nickname "chekov's uncle" cause just burying the body unseen in the forest doesn't seem to be this universe's style. Grrm would do horrible things to us but will make sure we know exactly how horrible.
If he's not alive, I can picture him showing up as a walker zombie. Characters don't just disappear in GoT.

Vagabundo

Surely Littlefinger told Jon Arryn to look into the legitimacy of Robert's children in the first place as well.

Haha, true. Cunning bastard. All a setup. So clever.

I've soured on the character. He's on my most wanted dead list, right after Stannis Greyface the Boring Ham - to use his full title.

Haha, true. Cunning bastard. All a setup. So clever.

I've soured on the character. He's on my most wanted dead list, right after Stannis Greyface the Boring Ham - to use his full title.
Well Stannis is turning his attention away from King's Landing (as per the priestess' instructions) and judging from the fact that he was given a letter from the night's watch (who asked for help against the wildling army) I think that he may end up being more important in this and future seasons.

Vagabundo

Well Stannis is turning his attention away from King's Landing (as per the priestess' instructions) and judging from the fact that he was given a letter from the night's watch (who asked for help against the wildling army) I think that he may end up being more important in this and future seasons.

Well that probably means he's dead. GRRM will set him up as the defender of all peoples and then he'll become a White Walker icicle - although we might have trouble telling the difference.

It's a shame that the one living king who is religiously compelled to think about the white walkers before they show up to gnaw on his face is the king whose army seems most-gutted.

New expectation for series finale: eternal winter, white walkers kill everything.

demolitio

It's been 3 and a half seasons.

He's dead Jim.

Seeing that he prays to the Old Gods and the White Walkers seem to be related to them among other things, he could be chilling in Valhalla right about now. :p

He's probably dead, but I still think the mythological part of the show will be getting crazy in the next few seasons and Il believe the White Walkers are a product of the Old Gods to remind the blasphemers that they exist. I think the Lord of Light is real in some way and the Old Gods are real while The Seven aren't since we don't know of any supernatural elements attributed to them so the Old Gods are coming back to stop the spread of the other religions and to fight the Red God.

In any case, we know the Old Gods are real in some capacity based on Bran's storyline and how they've been neglected due to the other religions spreading. Since the Starks are heavily tied to the Old Gods and one of the few supporters left (besides some other families in the North), I could see the Starks somehow having a relations to the White Walkers as well. Their family was almost completely wiped out, but will grow again due to the Old Gods.

It's probably the most annoying storyline in the show just because of how much they tease it without answering any questions, but I assume we'll get answers someday. I think Stannis is worried about the White Walkers because he's seen supernatural shit before but also because they could possibly be opposing his new god and if (when in my opinion based on my earlier post lol) he becomes King of Westeros, his religion would spread and he might not be so kind to the heretics in his eyes.

Stannis is worried, but he might be worried for other reasons.

televator

It's been 3 and a half seasons.

He's dead Jim.

Nah, I just can't believe that. Starks have direct lineage to the first men. Which is like an absurdly long time in GoT history and they were kings and lords among them. Their motto is "Winter is coming" which implies that these are some hardy mothafuckas who know about enduring hard times. Yet, if they're so fragile that a whole generation of them can be whiped out abruptly, you wonder how they even survived in Westeros for one brisk spring... forget about thousands of winters.

I'm exagerating but still... C'mon.

Showaddy

Nah, I just can't believe that. Starks have direct lineage to the first men. Which is like an absurdly long time in GoT history and they were kings and lords among them. Their motto is "Winter is coming" which implies that these are some hardy mothafuckas who know about enduring hard times. Yet, if they're so fragile that a whole generation of them can be whiped out abruptly, you wonder how they even survived in Westeros for one brisk spring... forget about thousands of winters.

I'm exagerating but still... C'mon.

Shit happens I guess. Getting screwed by 2 Kings and The White Walkers would do any family in.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member
I think Benjen is still alive somehow too. No body, horse rides back to castle black alone, ..., all the little details from the episodes, it's all perfect foreshadowing for some kind of late comeback. Otherwise there is no reason for the body to have not been found.

Heshinsi

Anyone who thinks the Starks will be completely wiped out is no real Northerner. The North will never forget.

Winter Is Coming.

Speaking of the Starks. How come it seems like the Lannisters are the only ones with extended families? There are cousin Lannisters, uncle Lannisters, messenger prisoner Lannisters, Lannister squire brothers, Cersei fuck toy Lannisters, pricked by Prince Obeyrn Lannisters. So many freaking Lannisters. Yet there's only an immediate family of Starks. It would be pretty damn hard to kill off the Lannisters, but whack off a few Starks and it's game over for them.

Speaking of the Starks. How come it seems like the Lannisters are the only ones with extended families? There are cousin Lannisters, uncle Lannisters, messenger prisoner Lannisters, Lannister squire brothers, Cersei fuck toy Lannisters, pricked by Prince Obeyrn Lannisters. So many freaking Lannisters. Yet there's only an immediate family of Starks.

Maybe because Ned's brothers died in Robert's War and one joined the night's watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom