• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brokering a deal to get Ned exiled to the Wall was Varys countering Littlefinger. Thanks for screwing that up Joffery!

Baelor :(

Ah forgot about that. It would have been cool to see Ned and Theon sent to the wall instead of what happened :(

or Joffrey even. Imagine that kid at Castle Black lol

Is there some sort of subliminal telegraphing going on in the show or am I jusr sick and twisted in thinking that the breast fed prince will get pushed out the sky hole thingy?

It's pretty obvious foreshadowing/Chekhov's gun, but of course it could be a red herring. As yet we don't know why anyone would kill him.

And_Boy

1399499565-clip-85kb.jpg

agrajag

Banned
It isn't as if his plan ends there. Something unexpected that went in his favor happened during his plays. At the end of the day, it's like a chess match. You move the pieces in your favor so others take each other out. If things go according to plan, keep to the strategy. If things turn out even better in the case of Joffrey, go to your whorehouse and fuck them for extra celebrations. If things are going wrong on side of the field, change 2-3 chess pieces around to change the game.

We haven't seen all his plans but so far, they have went pretty well because they were well executed and thought out. He's a cunning bastard.

We don't know what his plans are, true. I stand by my comment, he has yet to directly benefit from his scheming. He went from being master of coin to what?

agrajag

Banned
Lord of the Vale with Sansa (the key to the North) in her pocket?

Sansa doesn't matter now. The Starks are done, Winterfell is destroyed. The Vale has never been a player. He's cooped up in a boring castle that no one really gives a shit about lol.

inky

Sansa doesn't matter now. The Starks are done, Winterfell is destroyed. The Vale has never been a player. He's cooped up in a boring castle that no one really gives a shit about lol.

The Starks are "done", but either way Bolton wants all of them dead, so they aren't as worthless as they seem. It has been established that they have always ruled the north, so who knows, maybe their name still carries weight, and are a threat to whomever wants to rule those lands (which are about to be overcome by wild-lings and zombies anyway.

The Vale hasn't been a player till now because it's pretty obvious they prefer to be holed up inside their keep, but with Littlefinger there things might change. We don't know their forces or what they can be capable of with someone like him in charge.

agrajag

Banned
The Starks are "done", but either way Bolton wants all of them dead, so they aren't as worthless as they seem. It has been established that they have always ruled the north, so who knows, maybe their name still carries weight.

The Vale hasn't been a player till now because it's pretty obvious they prefer to be holed up inside their keep, but with Littlefinger there things might change. We don't know their forces or what they can be capable of with someone like him in charge.

Yeah, we'll see. I don't see how he's benefitted so far, but perhaps he has.

The Starks are "done", but either way Bolton wants all of them dead, so they aren't as worthless as they seem. It has been established that they have always ruled the north, so who knows, maybe their name still carries weight, and are a threat to whomever wants to rule those lands (which are about to be overcome by wild-lings and zombies anyway.

I still think that roose bolton is enough of a prick that living in a region ruled by him would have to suck. "Support the return of the starks! Less shitty than that bolton asshole!" Could make for a decent rallying cry to drag parts of the north to another side if a stark-affiliated house ever gains any momentum again.

Also if, say, the umbers are good enough friends to hide rickon, they'd be enthusiastic about joining the house bolton haters club even if his rule turns out to be not oppressive. Maybe there are more houses like that.

Or maybe littlefinger doesn't give a fuck about the outside world and is content to hide in the vale being creeped on by lysa while creeping on sansa in turn. Just seems like that'd be a disappointing endgame for the amount of effort he's gone through.

Don't really know who else would wind up pro-stark. Tyrells get burnt out on the lannisters and change side? They seem pretty committed to non-violent gameplay. Dorne rebels? Doesn't seem impossible, actually.... stannis would be pro-stark if he thought they'd bend the knee but he is now dead on the inside after the blackwater and Icant imagine him having enough power to wage a one-house war any longer.

Maybe someday, a decade from now, when danerys finally stumbles into westeros in a firey purge, she'll decide to put a stark into neo-winterfell. With what she's done to the slavers, id imagine that she'll be on enough of a power trip if she makes it that far to take a more aggressive arbiter-of-justice stance... which in my mind would involve feeding the freys, boltons, and at least tywin, cersei and jaime to her dragons.

I can't even remember what state the riverlands are in right now. Tullys are useless yeah?

Side note: shit. I just realized. Dany is the only character whose death I cannot imagine happening. She must be screwed.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, we'll see. I don't see how he's benefitted so far, but perhaps he has.

Dude, for reals? He's tightly allied with the two strongest houses, Lannister and Tyrell (and could easily pick up the Tullys given who he's married to). He's sitting pretty in the most defensible fortress in Westeros. He's effectively the Lord of the Vale, the only one of the seven kingdoms (besides Dorne) that sat out all the recent wars, and therefore the only one with an undamaged army and a lot of resources.

And while you might be skeptical, the Lannisters and Tyrells both clearly thought Sansa was pretty damn important for controlling the North.

Littlefinger might not control all of Westeros, but he's taken some significant steps up in power and wealth.

Nameless

Varys was merely using Illyrio for information. After their conversation Littlefinger approaches him on the way to the small council meeting and taunts him, revealing he knows about Illyrio. Varys pretends to be worried but allows Baelish to continue. Renly eventually interrupts them and makes a comment about Robert being on his way(a big deal since Robert rarely ever met with the small council). Littlefinger is visibly taken aback hearing that the king will actually be attending, to which Varys snarkily replies, "Haven't you heard?"

Cut to the small council chamber where Varys shares the information he got from Illyrio about the Dothraki-Targaryen alliance and Daeny being pregnant. He also reveals he has Jorah implanted within their ranks. Everyone except Ned agrees that Daenerys needs to die.

A few episodes later, right before the wine merchant attempts to poison Daeny, one of Varys's child spies delivers a royal pardon to Jorah, allowing him to return to Westeros with amnesty. Jorah has a change of heart in the 11th hour, obviously, but he was clearly working for Varys up until then. Varys primary interest is the well being if the realm. A war breaking out to put anyone in power is the last thing he wants.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Well, Jon Arryn did start Robert's Rebellion and became hand.

That was what 14 years ago? The Vale have had their armies untouched since then. Come to think of it. How come Rob didn't go to his aunt for support against the Lannisters? You'd think that Cat would have told her sister to team up against the people she thinks killed her sister's husband.

demolitio

That was what 14 years ago? The Vale have had their armies untouched since then. Come to think of it. How come Rob didn't go to his aunt for support against the Lannisters? You'd think that Cat would have told her sister to team up against the people she thinks killed her sister's husband.

She tried and failed.

Nameless

I hope Varys gets more screentime in the upcoming episodes. So far we've barely seen him.

1Y5I3ez.gif

This season has been superb so far, but there hasn't been nearly enough Varys, Stannis, or Melisandre. With only five episodes left I've pretty much given up hope that we'll see The Brotherhood. They wouldn't be the first characters to disappear for a season or two, I guess.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This season has been superb so far, but there hasn't been nearly enough Varys, Stannis, or Melisandre. With only five episodes left I've pretty much given up hope that we'll see The Brotherhood. They wouldn't be the first characters to disappear for a season or two, I guess.

As long as the wait in between their next appearance doesn't force a recast in any of the Brotherhood.

I'm personally incredibly disappointed with the lack of Roose. He was amazing in Season 3 and he's been in one scene this entire season.

Nameless

As long as the wait in between their next appearance doesn't force a recast in any of the Brotherhood.

Yeah, unlike with Daario that would diminish my enjoyment of the show, especially if Thoros was recast.

I'm personally incredibly disappointed with the lack of Roose. He was amazing in Season 3 and he's been in one scene this entire season.

Definitely. It looked like House Bolton was being positioned as the new bad guys after Joffrey, but Locke died quickly and we've barely gotten Roose & Ramsay.

Vice

We don't know what his plans are, true. I stand by my comment, he has yet to directly benefit from his scheming. He went from being master of coin to what?

He has the Vale, Harrenhal and if the Tully's are gone except for Lysa he has the Trident as well. He also has the North thanks to sansa seeing as how Rob is dead, Jon is at the wall and the world thinks her remaining siblings are dead.

Nameless

He has the Vale, Harrenhal and if the Tully's are gone except for Lysa he has the Trident as well. He also has the North thanks to sansa seeing as how Rob is dead, Jon is at the wall and the world thinks her remaining siblings are dead.

Depending on what's going on with Edmure and the Frey girl, the Freys could have the inside track toward lordship over the Riverlands. Surely Walder is smart enough to let Edmure out of the dungeon long enough to make him a grandson?

Speevy

Banned
Beating Robb Stark doesn't mean the north is gone. Like this show has pointed out time and time again, winning is not the same as ruling. Roose Bolton has to gain support in the north and defend his own lands. Peace cannot be achieved in one day, anywhere.

He's getting an army. A big part of the land. He's building an army while being allied to the 2 most powerful houses while simultaneously hurting the most powerful one and played a major role in what used to be the second strongest's destruction.

Remember his speech about him not fighting but fucking his enemies? Well that's what he's doing. Not directly hurting them himself, but playing his cards to pave the road for someone else to do it or lead them themselves to such a path.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Little Finger is now in possession of the only army on the continent that hasn't be decimated by the war between the Lannisters and the Starks, an impregnable and easily defended castle, a royal title as he has just married the wife of the old lord and has done all this without anyone being the wiser. He has also weakened the Starks and Lannisters and plunged the kingdom into inescapable debt.

Little Finger is playing the long game and everything everyone else has ever done since he began has gone in his favor. All he has to do at this point is make sure that he gets in good with the Iron Bank before Stannis has the chance to, which he may well have already done.

He's set himself up perfectly and no one has any goddamn idea what he's done. Everything he needed to take over was practically handed to him on a silver platter without anyone realizing it. The only thing that could fuck it up for him at this point is that crazy chick he just married, so odds are we'll shortly see her--and her kid--falling out that hole in the floor.

demolitio

Really, when did that happen?

Don't remember which episode exactly but it was season 1 when Catelyn took Tyrion to The Vale. It was one of the main reasons she stayed there for a bit. Here's the summary from the show's wiki:

Catelyn lingers at the Eyrie trying to convince Lysa to commit the Vale's knights to oppose the Lannisters. Lysa is unwilling to take any action which might endanger her son. Catelyn finally decides to leave after Lysa delays telling her about Eddard's arrest in King's Landing following King Robert's death.

Vice

Of course Sansa matters. She was married off to Tyrion so that the Lannisters would get the North. Their names goes a long way up there with them having ruled over for years of relative peace especially compared to the bunch of sociopaths now living in Winterfell. If the young Stark daughter came with an army ready to liberate the North former Stark-aligned houses would jump at the chance, especially since the forces of The Vale and Harrenhal would be coming down on the Boltons along with the possible backing of the Tyrell's.

The Vale decided not to be a player and no one was willing to brave fighting them despite having vast armies and the Vale offering a great location strategically for anyone inside if it.

Little Finger is now in possession of the only army on the continent that hasn't be decimated by the war between the Lannisters and the Starks, an impregnable and easily defended castle, a royal title as he has just married the wife of the old lord and has done all this without anyone being the wiser. He has also weakened the Starks and Lannisters and plunged the kingdom into inescapable debt.

Little Finger is playing the long game and everything everyone else has ever done since he began has gone in his favor. All he has to do at this point is make sure that he gets in good with the Iron Bank before Stannis has the chance to, which he may well have already done.

He's set himself up perfectly and no one has any goddamn idea what he's done. Everything he needed to take over was practically handed to him on a silver platter without anyone realizing it. The only thing that could fuck it up for him at this point is that crazy chick he just married, so odds are we'll shortly see her--and her kid--falling out that hole in the floor.

littlefinger literally started the game of thrones. this whole thing has been blowing my mind. what a sleazy character, i think he mightve just jumped to one of my favorites.. (behind tyrione and arya of course)

I think I need to rewatch the whole show, maybe after s4 is over.

I don't remember anything about what Littlefinger's done and all this discussion in here is just confusing me more lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
littlefinger literally started the game of thrones. this whole thing has been blowing my mind. what a sleazy character, i think he mightve just jumped to one of my favorites.. (behind tyrione and arya of course)

He's played this entire game masterfully. Tyrion probably could have put a pretty big wrench in his plans as Master of Coin, but now that he's in jail and on trial--one that he can't possibly win--all Little Finger needs to do is keep his eyes on the prize.

I went from thinking he's a half-decent dude who'll probably die any day now to hating his fucking guts, but with a begrudging respect. He's been playing at an entirely different level than everyone else this whole time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You thought the dude that betrayed Ned was a halfway decent dude?

Compared to almost everyone else in the series he wasn't as bad. Sure it was a dick move, but I figured his plan was to have Ned traded for Tyrion. Which did seem to be how it was going to go down until Joffrey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom