• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

You thought the dude that betrayed Ned was a halfway decent dude?

Compared to almost everyone else in the series he wasn't as bad. Sure it was a dick move, but I figured his plan was to have Ned traded for Tyrion. Which did seem to be how it was going to go down until Joffrey.
To be fair, looking back, he did come off as wanting to help Ned. But that's only until he turned the City Watch against him. After that he was untrustworthy prick.

Little Finger is now in possession of the only army on the continent that hasn't be decimated by the war between the Lannisters and the Starks, an impregnable and easily defended castle, a royal title as he has just married the wife of the old lord and has done all this without anyone being the wiser. He has also weakened the Starks and Lannisters and plunged the kingdom into inescapable debt.

Little Finger is playing the long game and everything everyone else has ever done since he began has gone in his favor. All he has to do at this point is make sure that he gets in good with the Iron Bank before Stannis has the chance to, which he may well have already done.

He's set himself up perfectly and no one has any goddamn idea what he's done. Everything he needed to take over was practically handed to him on a silver platter without anyone realizing it. The only thing that could fuck it up for him at this point is that crazy chick he just married, so odds are we'll shortly see her--and her kid--falling out that hole in the floor.
Excellent observation. Marry Sansa and he has the Northmen too.

He's set.

I know it's only been a few episodes, but I really hope Sansa and Tyrion get back together. They had a weird but intriguing relationship, and I'm really curious to see how she would react when they meet considering she was defending him at the Vale. Assuming that one of them doesn't die if not both before their meeting..

I would have never imagined writing such things based on the first two seasons.

Ein Bear

I hope there's some development in the Theon storyline soon. Feel like that's been spinning it's wheels ever since Season 2.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Little Finger is now in possession of the only army on the continent that hasn't be decimated by the war between the Lannisters and the Starks, an impregnable and easily defended castle, a royal title as he has just married the wife of the old lord and has done all this without anyone being the wiser. He has also weakened the Starks and Lannisters and plunged the kingdom into inescapable debt.

Little Finger is playing the long game and everything everyone else has ever done since he began has gone in his favor. All he has to do at this point is make sure that he gets in good with the Iron Bank before Stannis has the chance to, which he may well have already done.

He's set himself up perfectly and no one has any goddamn idea what he's done. Everything he needed to take over was practically handed to him on a silver platter without anyone realizing it. The only thing that could fuck it up for him at this point is that crazy chick he just married, so odds are we'll shortly see her--and her kid--falling out that hole in the floor.

Littlefinger is that guy.

jbza7RSCrvWCzv.jpg

DeadTsar

Also it's not like Littlefinger has future sight and can predict how everything is going to be, the guy just has contingencies in place in case things go wrong.

Remember that Littlefinger wanted Sansa to come on his boat with him to the Vale but she decided to stay and marry Loras, after which the Tyrells would take her to Highgarden. Littlefinger tells the Lannisters who marry her to Tyrion stopping that plan, he then plots with the Tyrells to take out Joffrey and during the chaos has that guy on his payroll (who Sansa saved: forgot his name) snatch her away to his boat.
Achieving what he wanted in the firstplace.

Littlefinger plays the game of thrones.

Ovid

Also it's not like Littlefinger has future sight and can predict how everything is going to be, the guy just has contingencies in place in case things go wrong.

Remember that Littlefinger wanted Sansa to come on his boat with him to the Vale but she decided to stay and marry Loras, after which the Tyrells would take her to Highgarden. Littlefinger tells the Lannisters who marry her to Tyrion stopping that plan, he then plots with the Tyrells to take out Joffrey and during the chaos has that guy on his payroll (who Sansa saved: forgot his name) snatch her away to his boat.

Ser Dontos

Azih

Yeah and Sansa is the only one who knows it all. Every other player in the show thinks Littlefinger is on THEIR side. The Lannisters think he's on their side (for messing up the Tyrell plan to grab Sansa), the Tyrells think he's on their side (for helping off Joffery). He's got Lysa Arryn wrapped around his little finger...

Nameless

Littlefinger putting the crown into massive debt will benefit him in the future, I'm pretty sure of it

I'm beginning to wonder if we're headed for a scenario where multiple factions are courting the Iron Bank for their support, and what gaining their favor might entail. Tywin's plan is to use the new richest house in Westeros, the Tyrells, to pay back the crown's debt and stay in their good graces. Davos of course has put in a request on behalf of the true king. And then there's Baelish, who's had first hand dealings with the Iron Bank for years as he plunged the Lannisters into debt paying for the war that he started. I find it hard to believe he hasn't forged some sort of alliances there given how pervasive their influence is. He has the Knights of the Vale, but that's obviously not a big enough force to take the Throne.

I also wouldn't count out Daeny. She's closest to Braavos than anyone. It's not unreasonable to think she'll look their direction as well as she tries to turn slaver's bay into free cities, eventually setting her sights on Westeros. If I'm the Iron Bank, Daeny easily has the three most compelling reasons for me to throw my weight behind her, and they all breathe fire.

Nameless

Actually, check out the map. She's pretty much the furthest one from Braavos. Essos is a much bigger continent than Westeros.

Right. For some reason I thought Braavos was further inland. Judging from the map Merreen--Braavos is comparable to a trip from The Wall to King's Landing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I'm hoping that the Hound unceremoniously runs him through after littlefinger gives a long speech about how he has obtained power and holds all of westeros in his hand etc etc, #stab#

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Give Bronn 10 good men and some climbing spikes...

He may not be willing to help out on that front, or even available, depending on how Tyrion's trial turns out. Maybe they escape, maybe he's put to death with him. Little Finger's done a damn good job getting Tyrion off the board, now there's no one left capable of playing the game at the level he does.

I'm hoping that the Hound unceremoniously runs him through after littlefinger gives a long speech about how he has obtained power and holds all of westeros in his hand etc etc, #stab#

Change that to Arya and you've got the dream scenario.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

What about Dorne? Seems like those guys can still put a wrinkle into his plans no?

Yeah that was a big deal. Eddard Stark was renowned throughout Westeros for his honor. Littlefinger clearly didn't anticipate he'd ever cover up the truth, much less admit to crimes he didn't commit. He expected him to fall on his sword, even if it started it a war. By extension, it's reasonable to deduce that Baelish was also banking on the honorable Ned Stark publicizing the Lannister's dirty secret as he helped him uncover it. Even if by some miracle the Starks and Lannisters ended their feud, the legitimacy of Joffrey's reign had been brought into question, which meant war was coming regardless.

It was Baelish. He introduced Ned to both Gendry and the bastard baby at his brothel.

Why are we still talking about the starks here? The conflict has ended with frey betarying them, a crippled boy and a child will not become a "threat" for years, that if they don't kill them first. They also slaughtered their army too in the wedding, winterfell is a burnt ruin too.

Nameless

Why are we still talking about the starks here? The conflict has ended with frey betarying them, a crippled boy and a child will not become a "threat" for years, that if they don't kill them first. They also slaughtered their army too in the wedding, winterfell is a burnt ruin too.

a-stab.gif

1. The best character on the show is a Stark.
2. Winter is coming.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Because Stannis has begun to look north, to where Jon Snow is, and Arya remains incredibly deadly. She's got a higher on-screen kill count than half the show and is incredibly clever.

Also Sansa is the only one in a position to take out Little Finger. She's probably the only person he won't suspect is working against him, no one else has that advantage. She's learned the game by watching the best and somehow surviving up to this point, discount her at your own risk.

televator

a-stab.gif

1. The best character on the show is a Stark.
2. Winter is coming.

Plus Jon Snow still needs to figure out who his mom is... to say the least. If you spent any bit of time mulling over the events before the show. He might also be working on that army thing a bit with his aparent leadership prospects. Building up trust with other fighters from the ground up rather than relying on name and title to lord over people.

Heshinsi

The prince is focused on getting revenge from the Lannisters, he does not give a fuck about what he did. i wouldn't surprised if littlefinger use dorne to get rid of them.

But he's saying that Littlefinger has the ONLY army that's untouched in Westeros. That's clearly not true. If Littlefinger starts gobbling up the other 6 kingdoms, you'd imagine Dorne wouldn't put up with that. Tywin said these guys withstood dragons, I bet they'd manhandle that little bitch in a heartbeat.

It's been brought up a few times throughout the series, that pretty much any Stark could become a huge rallying symbol for the Northerners. That's why everyone cared who Sansa married. That's why Roose Bolton cares if the youngest Stark boys are alive. If Rickon makes it to House Umber in one piece and everyone believes he's a Stark, I don't see how that wouldn't evolve into at least a Northern rebellion against Bolton and Frey.

DrSlek

I don't think The Vale is the only realm that still has an army at full strength. I believe Dorne has also been uninvolved in the wars.

their whole province is valleys and mountains though. if they hold that gate they'd be fairly self sufficient.

Mountains and valleys are fairly unsuitable for agriculture. Starving them out would indeed be the most efficient way to take the Vale.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think The Vale is the only realm that still has an army at full strength. I believe Dorne has also been uninvolved in the wars.

Mountains and valleys are fairly unsuitable for agriculture. Starving them out would indeed be the most efficient way to take the Vale.

Dorne is apparently run by House Martell, who allied with the Lannisters in the war after Tyrion married off Cersei's daughter to them. The Prince who came to King's Landing for Joffrey's wedding is from Dorne. He talked to Cersei about her daughter among other things.

So, they were involved and probably aren't at full strength.

Considering the Vale is inaccessible during the winter, I'd say they're pretty well stocked. Starving them out probably won't work.

Little Finger's infinite mastery at the game has been restored.

Dorne is apparently run by House Martell, who allied with the Lannisters in the war after Tyrion married off Cersei's daughter to them. The Prince who came to King's Landing for Joffrey's wedding is from Dorne. He talked to Cersei about her daughter among other things.

Considering the Vale is inaccessible during the winter, I'd say they're pretty well stocked. Starving them out probably won't work.

Have we ever gotten a specific headcount of who showed up to fight? I guess I had the impression that the Dornishmen weren't really doing anything and were just kind of supporting the lannisters in the sense of recognizing their leadership and pretending nothing was wrong, without actively contributing to the war.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Have we ever gotten a specific headcount of who showed up to fight? I guess I had the impression that the Dornishmen weren't really doing anything and were just kind of supporting the lannisters in the sense of recognizing their leadership and pretending nothing was wrong, without actively contributing to the war.

Honestly they didn't get very into it so we have no real way of knowing, unless someone wants to rewatch that entire set of episodes and look for definitive proof either way. Considering how hard up the Lannisters were for numbers near the end of it, I would assume Dorne may well have contributed some troops.

Honestly they didn't get very into it so we have no real way of knowing, unless someone wants to rewatch that entire set of episodes and look for definitive proof either way. Considering how hard up the Lannisters were for numbers near the end of it, I would assume Dorne may well have contributed some troops.

I guess how hard-pressed for resources the Lannisters seemed was one reason that I assumed they were on their own til Highgarden came over. IDK. I'll rewatch the stuff eventually.

Sajjaja

Plus Jon Snow still needs to figure out who his mom is... to say the least. If you spent any bit of time mulling over the events before the show. He might also be working on that army thing a bit with his aparent leadership prospects. Building up trust with other fighters from the ground up rather than relying on name and title to lord over people.

Wasn't there a theory here that Jon may be Benjen's son? I'm almost certain there was because this is the only place I read about GoT. Also, what happened to Benjen?

Mr.Mike

Wasn't there a theory here that Jon may be Benjen's son? I'm almost certain there was because this is the only place I read about GoT. Also, what happened to Benjen?

If Jon was Benjen's son I'm sure Catelyn would have been allowed to know, rather than letting her despise Jon.

She's not trolling him, she's hated him ever since he killed her friend in Season 1. On the way to King's Landing, the stable boy she was fencing with on the way and Joffrey got pissy about. He's always been on her list.

Portugeezer

She's not trolling him, she's hated him ever since he killed her friend in Season 1. On the way to King's Landing, the stable boy she was fencing with on the way and Joffrey got pissy about. He's always been on her list.

And then she tried to stab him, and he just slapped her and didn't kill her.

Some things just don't make sense to me.

CloudWolf

He wants to sell her to Lysa, killing her would mean missing out on potentially a lot of money. Also, Sandor knew that Arya couldn't hurt him with her "sword".

He thinks of her as you might an amusing puppy, playing at ripping your throat out. He doesn't think she is a threat and would rather get paid than kill a potential heir of Winterfell for no gain.

Please review the spoiler tag rules from the OP. If you've been either reading the books or reading online about content that's not in the television show, then please use the other thread to discuss these ideas. If you're developing theories based on what's aired on the show, then there's no need for spoiler tags. Thank you.
- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.

Heshinsi

Umm, no they are not involved. Tywin point blank tells Oberyn that there is no 7 kingdoms without Dorne, and that they need Dorne if Dany ever comes back. Remember he tells him that Dorne are the only ones to withstand the original Targaryen invasion, and he was going to give Obeyrn a seat on the small council to make amends. Prince Obeyrn hates the Lannister's guts, and I suppose the rest of Dorne does too. Plus, when have you seen Middle Eastern looking dudes running around fighting against Rob and company? In my opinion, from the way that scene went down between Tywin And Prince Oberyn, I do believe that Dorne is not under direct control of the crown at the moment, and Tywin is trying to get them back under the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom