• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

Just saw the episode. Wow, Tyrion wouldn't confess to a murder he didn't commit. Guess Jamie Lannister will be Tyrion's champion vs the Mountain or the other Kingsguardsman that spoke during the trial. I get the feeling Theon Greyjoy will fuck up, pretending to be someone else and Jon Snow will do something horrible to him. I'm liking the show more and more.

Saerk

I wonder why that crazy guy wants Theon to go to Castle Black?

Did they say Castle Black? Must have missed that. I figured he was going to be sent home to kill his father, Balon Greyjoy. He is the remaining of the three cursed kings by Melisandra.

Pretty positive it's going to be Oberon vs The Mountain. They've been talking about how much Oberon hates The Mountain all season, and that he wants to kill him. This will give him the chance to do it legally. Tyrion will probably ask Jaime, but Oberon will volunteer due to the Jaime's lack of a hand and for revenge.

Radec

goddamn, that ending was amazing.

although if this trial by combat goes through smoothly, then RIP Tyrion.

also, Ramsey fought like a champ.

Am I correct in thinking that Stannis got the blessing/loan or whatever you want to call it from the Iron Bank to try and take the throne?

Considering Davos gave Salladhor money that seemed to be quite neatly packaged.

Yeah, that's how it works.

The current people who are sitting on it are a parade of fuckery and owe them more than too much ... so you back someone who can over throw em and pay back the bank.

jehuty

Great episode with an awesome ending. The best part was the ending credits sequence and "rains of castamere" instrumental playing. As shrewd and powerful as Tywin is, he underestimates his own son (Tyrion) who is a lion the same as he is. I have my theory about what is about to happen next but the last couple times I have heard the "rains of castamere" on the show a major(s) character has been offed.

demolitio

No way dood, Tyrion picks Benjen Stark who has been alive all this time.

I'm really hoping he's alive now just for the laughs. After seeing how the White Walkers recruit people, Benjen very well could be alive and who better than a Stark that actually believes in the Old Gods.

Please happen.

Oh, and the Greyjoy plot better lead to something awesome. I guess they needed to really hammer the point home that Theon isn't Theon anymore, but I really hope he redeems himself. I imagine Ramsey will be here for a long time since he's been portrayed as the next guy you're supposed to love to hate, but if it's a few seasons of him and Reek, I'll be annoyed. I want the Ironborn to actually do something instead of being the "usurpers" that don't usurp...lol

Am I correct in thinking that Stannis got the blessing/loan or whatever you want to call it from the Iron Bank to try and take the throne?

Considering Davos gave Salladhor money that seemed to be quite neatly packaged.
Yep, Davos did the very thing that Tywin said couldn't be done at the Iron Bank. That was so great. That and of course Tyrion being a badass as usual.

And Shae has become the Skyler White of this show.

My initial thought was Tyrion chooses Bronn and Tywin chooses Jamie, that would be great drama, but they will probably keep Bronn away for that specific reason. Mountain vs pretty dude would be awesome too.

Wickerman

Can someone add the Oberyn gif reaction after Shae says I'm not just his maiden in response to this.

ibsnNm3oV2akxX.gif

demolitio

Yep, Davos did the very thing that Tywin said couldn't be done at the Iron Bank. That was so great. That and of course Tyrion being a badass as usual.

I thought the Iron Bank scene clearly spelled out Tywin's demise as well. That along with some of the scenes I took as foreshadowing earlier this season, I think his time is almost up. It's good for the people in the universe and it's good for the story and characters to progress.

I'll hate to see him go since he's such a badass but in another way, he needs to go. They tend to give the badasses the horrible deaths so I hope it can top the others. I seek justice with justice...as a viewer.

It's obvious that Cersei dont give a fuck about the real killer ..

I hope her arc ends up being all about her descent into madness and poverty after being such a spoiled, evil person for so long. I think Tywin's death could/will be the start of that. (Tywin better die as I'm banking on it at this point. I WANT BLOOD.)

Basically, I think death is too nice for Cersei and wouldn't be satisfying. Make her suffer the same shit she put others through. Maybe make her wed a White Walker to secure an alliance?

Speaking of which, next episode requires 12 minutes of White Walker drama. You can't give me something so damn mysterious every once in a while and then expect me to forget about them. I, for one, welcome the Old Gods and say fuck the Lord of the Light.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Despite everything Stannis is a guy deserving of loyalty, what Davos did proved he's got the disposition of a king. I mean how many guys can cut off a dude's fingers and have them become their most loyal follower? With the stuff he's done to Davos, both on screen and off, it is amazing he has still got his loyalty. Dany wishes she had that level of gravitas. That's why they gave him the money. He'll be good for it, maybe not right away but eventually.

Despite the shit we've seen Stannis do, it's stuff like that--the ability to inspire that kind of loyalty--that makes me think he deserves to be king. He'd do a damn good job I think. Especially with Davos as his hand.

Madrin

I hope her arc ends up being all about her descent into madness and poverty after being such a spoiled, evil person for so long. I think Tywin's death could/will be the start of that. (Tywin better die as I'm banking on it at this point. I WANT BLOOD.)

I see what you did there. Really though I hope Tywin lives on for a long time. He's my favorite character in the show, and as far as Lannisters go he's not that bad of a person.

demolitio

Despite everything Stannis is a guy deserving of loyalty, what Davos did proved he's got the disposition of a king. I mean how many guys can cut off a dude's fingers and have them become their most loyal follower? With the stuff he's done to Davos, both on screen and off, it is amazing he has still got his loyalty. Dany wishes she had that level of gravitas. That's why they gave him the money. He'll be good for it, maybe not right away but eventually.

Despite the shit we've seen Stannis do, it's stuff like that--the ability to inspire that kind of loyalty--that makes me think he deserves to be king. He'd do a damn good job I think. Especially with Davos as his hand.

I used to think he'd do a good job, but not with Melisandre and his new beliefs taking precedence. Haven't they burned heretics already? I used to really like him but now fear him. I still respect him in many ways and think he COULD do a good job, but he'd be bringing a new religion to the majority of Westeros and he'd have to be very tolerant of others with Melisandre basically manipulating him.

Hell, I think that's why they have a concern over the White Walkers is because they know better than most that supernatural things exist, but also that they most likely represent the Old Gods (based on Bran's visions) and that could oppose his faith.

I still see it unfolding in an ironic way where Tommen, even though he doesn't deserve the throne, ends up being a good king and pursuing peace only to be overthrown by Stannis who only ignites Westeros in war again. To me, that would be ironic and something GRRM would do. Stannis may have a claim, but that doesn't mean he'll be a great king since he has to deal with all sorts of cultures.

I don't know. I still like Stannis in many ways but just don't think he'll be the king people expect him to be. I think it will happen and Tommen will get a very short reign, so in my opinion, we'll get to see how Stannis is as a ruler at the end of this season or next season.

I see what you did there. Really though I hope Tywin lives on for a long time. He's my favorite character in the show, and as far as Lannisters go he's not that bad of a person.

:D

I kind of do and kind of don't. The reason I don't think he will is that is what will accelerate his children's story arcs the most while also causing more disarray in the fight for the throne. With Tywin alive, we kind of know what to expect from Cersei and we see Jaime disagreeing, but still falling in line. Without him, they're free in many ways and in Cersei's case, I don't think it would be good. I think she'll be getting a taste of her own medicine.

Tywin deserves a shitty fate in my opinion even though I like his character.

Edit: Why am I still awake? This damn show...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can see what you are saying, but he'll have Davos next to him acting as his voice of reason. Pulling him in when he goes too far. Don't forget that he set Davos free before the sacrifice, knowing full well he opposed it. On some level I think he knew it was wrong but had to work towards the larger goal, becoming king, despite this. He had to know Davos would set the boy free, Stannis is no fool. He'll do what he feels needs to be done, but will keep Davos close to reign him in when he goes too far.

Davos is a constant reminder of Stannis at his best. So long as he keeps him close I don't think he'll forget what a real king is supposed to act like and if he does he has someone to tell him he's on the wrong path. Hardly anyone seems to have that advantage on this show, and even when they do very fee take advantage of it like Stannis does. The only other people we've seen willing to tell truth to power like that have been Ned and Tyrion. Had either of them been listened to, really listened to, imagine how the show would have gone. Quite a bit would have changed.

HoodWinked

so this is what i was thinking. jamie is fighting for tyrion but cersei will probably put up the mountain.

if she selects the mountain first that makes sense. because if jamie fights for tyrion it wouldn't make sense that cersei would hate jamie enough that she would put the mountain up for her knowing jamie is without his fighting hand.

also tywind is in a weird place because theres also a chance that both lannister sons may die because trial by combat may lead to death of the combatant but certain death for the defendant.

i have a question on the wiki site i see illustrations like this... where can i watch these cause they look like a screencap of something.

Dennis

Banned
I am pretty sure Oberyn Martell will fight the Mountain due to the season preview and the way they keep going on how much Oberyn wants revenge on him

I didn't think the Theon bit was weird at all. Think back to earlier seasons when he went home and his father pretty much called him weak and useless.

Yara saw that her brother was pretty much gone, if she had rescued him and took him home what do you think their father would say to his son who not only defied his orders, lost Winterfell, got captured and now has lost his appendage thus can not father any more Greyjoys.... she has done him a favour.

HoodWinked

I didn't think the Theon bit was weird at all. Think back to earlier seasons when he went home and his father pretty much called him weak and useless.

Yara saw that her brother was pretty much gone, if she had rescued him and took him home what do you think their father would say to his son who not only defied his orders, lost Winterfell, got captured and now has lost his appendage thus can not father any male heirs......

i dont think people are arguing against that its just how the scene goes from ramsey putting his finger on the cage to an abrupt scene change where yara is fleeing on their boat.

Ferrio

Banned
i dont think people are arguing against that its just how the scene goes from ramsey putting his finger on the cage to an abrupt scene change where yara is fleeing on their boat.

Why was it abrupt? Dogs would of torn them alive, they got out while the getting was good.

HoodWinked

Why was it abrupt? Dogs would of torn them alive, they got out while the getting was good.

they're armored with weapons they would hack the dogs easily and even if they didnt ramsey wouldnt release the dogs? its shit they didnt know how to justify the scene so they just said they didnt know either and did a scene change.

Ferrio

Banned
they're armored with weapons they would hack the dogs easily and even if they didnt ramsey wouldnt release the dogs? its shit they didnt know how to justify the scene so they just said they didnt know either and did a scene change.

What? No way they could of defended themselves against the dogs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yes they could have killed the dogs, but they'd have left themselves open for the soldiers in the process.

I do agree though, it was very silly. "Let's save him, but only if they don't have dogs"

So I saw spoiler on youtube comments... FML.

I was just watching the god damn previews!!!

Edit: Watch out for that shit!

Never read the comments on Youtube videos.

It's a hard lesson learned, but people are assholes. This thread is the ONLY place I go for GoT talk now, and even here there's an occasional slip.

Sorry, friend. :(

Pro Tip: Don't read anything, anywhere, anytime, ever.

I'm surprise the official GOT you tube channel doesn't disable comments. I mean it's the official god damn channel.

Never read the comments on Youtube videos.

It's a hard lesson learned, but people are assholes. This thread is the ONLY place I go for GoT talk now, and even here there's an occasional slip.

Sorry, friend. :(

I wasn't even reading it. It was literally the FIRST COMMENT. WHAT THE FUCK!

kmax

Tyrion is the only good hearted Lannister. You could see that he'd accepted his faith that Jaime promised him despite the fact that he's innocent, but after sending Shae up (surely the doings of Cersei) and shaming him like that because his sister can't see things straight, he wanted to be done with the farce. Every word that came out from his mouth in the end was the stone cold truth. Tywin's a bastard who's ashamed of his son for being a dwarf. The only reason he keeps Cersei around is because she keeps producing offspring and potential heirs to the throne, which let's Tywin stay in control.

If I had to guess, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Oberyn will fight for Tyrion's stead, versus The Mountain. What a perfect setup for these two to clash, as Oberyn wants nothing more than to slay the man that raped and murdered his sister.

Shit's getting real, son.

Madrin

So I saw spoiler on youtube comments... FML.

I was just watching the god damn previews!!!

Edit: Watch out for that shit!

I saw a spoiler on YouTube just from typing a GoT character's name into the search bar. GoT spoilers are so ubiquitous that the only real way to avoid them is to place yourself into an isolation tank immediately after every episode.

CoolOff

i have a question on the wiki site i see illustrations like this... where can i watch these cause they look like a screencap of something.

It's from the history and lore videos that are on the DVDs and Blu-rays.

Season 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSuXBVv4ppY

Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjivdcqIyJ4

Season 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3VVgFq9nQ

Over 3 hours narrated by basically all of the actors. Just don't scroll down to the comments. :)

Edit: 32 minutes into the third about the Unsullied is one of my favorite parts.

I noticed Ramsey was covered in blood when he met Theon and his sisters rescue party in the dungeon. I guess he killed (or tortured) that girl he was fucking beforehand.
Im also suprized a how quickly those dragons grow. Traditionally in fantasy universes, dragons live for hundreds of years or more. How much bigger will those dragons get, I wonder?

Dennis

Banned
I noticed Ramsey was covered in blood when he met Theon and his sisters rescue party in the dungeon. I guess he killed (or tortured) that girl he was fucking beforehand.
Im also suprized a how quickly those dragons grow. Traditionally in fantasy universes, dragons live for hundreds of years or more. How much bigger will those dragons get, I wonder?

Yeah the dragon sizes are pretty ridiculous now.

Great episode.

That ending. TYRION LIVES
OR DIES?! FUCK FUCK FUCK.
(fun speculation spoiler tags)

Also, Stannis' story is so boring. wtf is going on there lol

Jibbed

Great episode.

That ending. TYRION LIVES
OR DIES?! FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Also, Stannis' story is so boring. wtf is going on there lol

Boring?

He just got a fuck-load of gold from the Iron Bank, and it seems like he's now the only person in the whole kingdom with the actual means and immediate desire to take the throne.

I need a refresher. So the champion has to agree to fight for their person right? Do they have to be present in the room/city?

Boring?

He just got a fuck-load of gold from the Iron Bank, and it seems like he's now the only person in the whole kingdom with the actual means and immediate desire to take the throne.

I meant everything up to that point, I guess. Hopefully it gets rolling soon.

lol

Also, Shae is clearly an opportunist that is going along with Tywin's plan all in an effort to punish Tyrion (by having him sent to the wall) for scorning her. Just look at her face when he demanded a trial by combat. She didn't want that because she doesn't want him dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom