• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i the only one still getting some perverse joy out of Theon's situation? It just makes me laugh whenever I see him, cause trying to take Winterfell was so montrously stupid.

Oh my god.
That last scene.
Tyrion the God!
Another Emmy right there.

Those Theon scenes were so fucked up. Ugh
This is actually worse than torture.

Also now I'm all caught up and I can now join in the discussion with you guys.
Yay!

impact

Banned
Am i the only one still getting some perverse joy out of Theon's situation? It just makes me laugh whenever I see him, cause trying to take Winterfell was so montrously stupid.

You're not alone. He's a shitty person that deserves everything bad to happen to him.

Dennis

Banned
In December 2002, a 60-year-old mechanic named Leon Humphreys was fined £25 for failing to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency that he had removed his Suzuki motorcycle from road usage. He refused to pay and claimed that he had the right, under medieval law, to choose a trial by combat with a "champion" nominated by the DVLA. This claim was denied by a court of magistrates in Bury St Edmunds, and he was further fined
Cowards denied him his right.

I have to say that everyone who is calling Shae a traitor and whatever needs to slow down and think about it for a second. IMO the way she was talking during her speech at the trial clearly looked like it was scripted. Not to mention the show having a specific scene about Cersei finding out about her and Tyrion, it makes sense that her part in the trial was done through coersion. I don't buy for one second that she would actually do that to Tyrion (even though I dislike her character a lot mostly because she was very uninteresting).

I think that Cersei knew there would be no way that Tyrion would not be found guilty, but she did this specifically to break his heart (finding out that he's been betrayed by his lover shortly before his death/maybe exile). Though it could be a total next level play by Cersei because she might suspect that there would be backroom deals for his father to spare his life, and she played this card to ensure that Tyrion is so enraged that he would never plead for mercy and more or less ensure he dies instead of being exiled or something similar.

I highly suspect that the combatant of Cersei/Kings Landing will be the Mountain, he's been mentioned ALOT this season, so I expect him to make a grand entrance soon. The defender of Tyrion (I seriously doubt he would/could fight for himself against any combatant let alone the Mountain...) is much harder to choose from because there are a number of potential candidates that the show has been foreshadowing to fight for him: Bronne since he's Tyrions friend/protector so far, and he has talked about how he could take down the Mountain before IIRC. And Jaime, who, if chosen, would seriously put Tywin in a terrible position. I can't see how, even with his training, he would stand a chance against a skilled fighter though. And there's always Oberyn, who has many reasons to want a chance to fight the Mountain (legally), though as some people mentioned it would be weird for a judge to take up arms, however since the trial seems to be out of his hands now (as judge) Oberyn is free to do as he pleases.

There's a lot of stuff that has been built up for quite a while coming up...I can't wait!

Here are my thoughts in bullet points:

-what the hell at Yara leaving her brother to rot after that big-ass speech ? That entire subplot is lame and I wished it would stop. Just kill Theon and his father so we can move on.
-I think Shae was threatened to say those things lest Tyrion gets killed. If not, if she believed what she said, then fuck her.
-We could very well see Bronn vs Jaime, with Jaime fighting for Tyrion. But what if it's the other way around ? Maybe Jaime will be chosen by Cersei and he will let himself be killed so his brother can live.

As for the previews:
-I really really hope Littlefinger kills Lisa. Fuck that crazy bitch. It would be even better if Sansa killed her; she needs to build an ego.

reggie

Banned
I'm just going to go right ahead and say I thought it was another shithouse episode. The court scene had potential (obviously), but Peter over-acted, and it's the first time I didn't buy any of the Lannister shenanigans when usually that's a sure thing. Rest of the episode was terrible with Khaleesi being useless as always and Yara being a awful actress with terrible fight choreography.

You probably ask why I watch this show when I rarely have good things to say about it, but when it gets it right, it's fucking good. Too bad it's misses so, so much.

Dennis

Banned
I'm just going to go right ahead and say I thought it was another shithouse episode. The court scene had potential (obviously), but Peter over-acted, and it's the first time I didn't buy any of the lannister shenanigans when usually that's a sure thing. Rest of the episode was terrible with Khaleesi being useless as always and Yara being a awful actress with terrible fight choreography.

You probably ask why I watch this show when I rarely have good things to say about it, but when it gets it right, it's fucking good. Too bad it's misses so, so much.

Dr.Acula

Banned
-I think Shae was threatened to say those things lest Tyrion gets killed. If not, if she believed what she said, then fuck her.

Hell hath no fury etc. I think it's more that Shae hates Tyrion, and was incentivised with a little cash to frame him. Hell, she's so angry at him she might think he's the killer anyway, and was told the "scenario" and is perfectly happy to connect the dots herself.

Seriously, she had this big speech about why they had to go in there and get shit done but they gave up at the first sign of dogs.

Why do people keep saying this? She didn't leave because of the dogs. She even said why she left: that wasn't Theon. Theon's long-gone right now, he's been broken. Continuing to fight against the people plus dogs just to rescue a person who would kick and scream and fight the whole way, not knowing he's struggling against family, would have broken her too if she tried. After seeing how fucked-up he's become, she realizes that at least right now, there was no point in it.

The scene wasn't great, just like the whole storyline hasn't been great (actually my least favorite), but it wasn't this incomprehensible mess everybody is saying it was. Maybe if the dogs had been cut entirely it would have been quickly understood.

jediyoshi

The court scene had potential (obviously), but Peter over-acted, and it's the first time I didn't buy any of the lannister shenanigans when usually that's a sure thing.

I'm not sure I could buy that scene or speech or series of events being delivered any other way. Dude's one actual outburst that wasn't predicated on being sly or being able to rest on his position, was about time he actually spoke his mind to everyone this far out.

Zyzyxxz

I have to say that everyone who is calling Shae a traitor and whatever needs to slow down and think about it for a second. IMO the way she was talking during her speech at the trial clearly looked like it was scripted. Not to mention the show having a specific scene about Cersei finding out about her and Tyrion, it makes sense that her part in the trial was done through coersion. I don't buy for one second that she would actually do that to Tyrion (even though I dislike her character a lot mostly because she was very uninteresting).

I think that Cersei knew there would be no way that Tyrion would not be found guilty, but she did this specifically to break his heart (finding out that he's been betrayed by his lover shortly before his death/maybe exile). Though it could be a total next level play by Cersei because she might suspect that there would be backroom deals for his father to spare his life, and she played this card to ensure that Tyrion is so enraged that he would never plead for mercy and more or less ensure he dies instead of being exiled or something similar.

I highly suspect that the combatant of Cersei/Kings Landing will be the Mountain, he's been mentioned ALOT this season, so I expect him to make a grand entrance soon. The defender of Tyrion (I seriously doubt he would/could fight for himself against any combatant let alone the Mountain...) is much harder to choose from because there are a number of potential candidates that the show has been foreshadowing to fight for him: Bronne since he's Tyrions friend/protector so far, and he has talked about how he could take down the Mountain before IIRC. And Jaime, who, if chosen, would seriously put Tywin in a terrible position. I can't see how, even with his training, he would stand a chance against a skilled fighter though. And there's always Oberyn, who has many reasons to want a chance to fight the Mountain (legally), though as some people mentioned it would be weird for a judge to take up arms, however since the trial seems to be out of his hands now (as judge) Oberyn is free to do as he pleases.

There's a lot of stuff that has been built up for quite a while coming up...I can't wait!

It's obvious to me that if the Mountain is their champion then Prince Oberyn will defend Tyrion. Didn't you see he was skeptical during the entire trial?

-We could very well see Bronn vs Jaime, with Jaime fighting for Tyrion. But what if it's the other way around ? Maybe Jaime will be chosen by Cersei and he will let himself be killed so his brother can live.

Wow I didn't even think about that scenario and it is definitely a possibility. That would be pretty sad though :(

Cyan

Banned
Love Tyrion so much.

And yeah, based on the episode titles it's fairly clear who the combatants will be. I thought I was so clever for realizing that, but it looks like everyone else beat me to it. :p

Here are my thoughts in bullet points:

-what the hell at Yara leaving her brother to rot after that big-ass speech ? That entire subplot is lame and I wished it would stop. Just kill Theon and his father so we can move on.

As for the previews:
-I really really hope Littlefinger kills Lisa. Fuck that crazy bitch. It would be even better if Sansa killed her; she needs to build an ego.
I actually wonder if Littlefinger is training her to kill Lysa herself, based on the way he was talking to her.

So it looks like Bron was paid by Cersei to ensure the whore would stay at King's Landing?! I loved how Tyrion just owned every single person in the room. From the hypocritical TMZ crowd, his father and his sister. I've made a prediction since his arrest that he would get Oberyn to fight for him in combat, esp if for some weird reason the Mountain is the one he goes against. About time Tyrion stopped taking shit and turned it around. I've had a feeling that he was going to come back stronger than before after all the crap he's taken in season 2 and now 3.

Watch him die next episode now that I said that. :D

That speech.

ow

What? Please don't let this happen...

Giolon

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN Tywin is a boss. I can't believe he orchestrated everything, but I really should've seen that coming.

Also, Tyrion is still my hero of this show. I hope he gets to be king.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Trial by combat is to the death though right? Even if it's not, the situation is either the Mountain dies, or the Mountain loses. They've spent so much time hyping the Mountain you just can't bring him in to lose. I don't see the Mountain showing up in this capacity. Plus he hasn't really been showing up recently, so it's kind of jarring.

I think Tyrion is pissed enough that he fights himself.

I dunno, I don't read the books, but I know people do, I'm worried reading theories because I'm paranoid about book readers feigning their TV only status.

BTM

So is Tyrion guaranteed to be executed now if he loses the trial by combat? Or is he still allowed the chance to live if his champion fails him.

If the former is true, this means that Jamie would stay a king's guard since Tywin wouldn't be able to uphold his end of the deal with Tyrion dead, therefore ending the Lannister dynasty that Tywin so much wants to keep alive.

Puts Tywin in quite a pickle

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Love Tyrion so much.

And yeah, based on the episode titles it's fairly clear who the combatants will be. I thought I was so clever for realizing that, but it looks like everyone else beat me to it. :p
I was surprised when they were posted in this thread considering all other information from future episodes is supposed to be spoiler tagged.

So is Tyrion guaranteed to be executed now if he loses the trial by combat? Or is he still allowed the chance to live if his champion fails him.

If the former is true, this means that Jamie would stay a king's guard since Tywin wouldn't be able to uphold his end of the deal with Tyrion dead, therefore ending the Lannister dynasty that Tywin so much wants to keep alive.

Puts Tywin in quite a pickle
Yeah I was wondering if Tyrion figured that part out and made sure that if he dies, than Tywin's precious family will mean nothing.

So much hate for the Theon storyline. I guess after the copious amounts of torture in season 3 people are just over it and I suppose I don't blame them.

Either way, I still enjoyed the scene. Really showed how broken Theon is and I'm curious to see how Ramsey's plot plays out.

I'm excited to see more of Theon. Then again he's my favorite character so I suppose that's a given. Still, I think there's a lot of redemption left in him .Who knows if he'll ever be whole again but I'd like to at least see him redeem himself somewhat. I definitely have a lot of sympathy for the guy. Plus Alfie Allen is a fantastic actor.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
peter dinklage was faaaaaaaaaantaastic in the trial scene, especially when he looses his mind at the end ..

fantastic final act.

I actually wonder if Littlefinger is training her to kill Lysa herself, based on the way he was talking to her.

Yeah I thought about that. It would be great. Sansa needs to grow an ego. I don't care if Littlefinger is using her to gain power; I wish he corrupted her and brought her to his Dark Side. It would be fascinating to watch.

inky

"Baby Dragons"

LOL Cersei. I'd say it'd be nice if she had the chance to see one while her whole keep was burned to the ground (with her in it), but Kelly C. has royal audiences to attend and can't be bothered to remember she was actually heading to Westeros.

Sober

I was surprised when they were posted in this thread considering all other information from future episodes is supposed to be spoiler tagged.
Yeah that kinda sucks but still looking forward to the episode anyway, who knows what will really happen
maybe GRRM is just trolling us and the Mountain just cleaves Oberyn in half 2 minutes into the fight and then Tyrion is executed because GRRM

Who the fuck knows?

Yeah that kinda sucks but still looking forward to the episode anyway, who knows what will really happen
maybe GRRM is just trolling us and the Mountain just cleaves Oberyn in half 2 minutes into the fight and then Tyrion is executed because GRRM

Who the fuck knows?

Cersei picks a white walker.

Tyrion also picks a white walker

The population of kings landing dies.

When the dragons eventually deign to show up on the continent, Cersei's walker gets melted first. Tyrion is declared innocent posthumously.

I'm just going to go right ahead and say I thought it was another shithouse episode. The court scene had potential (obviously), but Peter over-acted, and it's the first time I didn't buy any of the Lannister shenanigans when usually that's a sure thing. Rest of the episode was terrible with Khaleesi being useless as always and Yara being a awful actress with terrible fight choreography.

Can someone add the Oberyn gif reaction after Shae says I'm not just his maiden in response to this.

Madrin

Crap, I think I accidentally just found out who the fighters will be in the trial by combat. I was searching for GoT videos on YouTube and it popped up in the search suggestions. Goddamn spoilers everywhere.

BumbleB

Banned
Trial by combat is to the death though right? Even if it's not, the situation is either the Mountain dies, or the Mountain loses. They've spent so much time hyping the Mountain you just can't bring him in to lose. I don't see the Mountain showing up in this capacity. Plus he hasn't really been showing up recently, so it's kind of jarring.

I think Tyrion is pissed enough that he fights himself.

I dunno, I don't read the books, but I know people do, I'm worried reading theories because I'm paranoid about book readers feigning their TV only status.

Do we have to spoiler theories ? Because its clear as day to me that (pure guesses, no book spoilers)
post convo with Jaime, Tyrion trusts his brother and is going to ask him to fight for him. This explains all the wasted screen time with Jaime learning to fight off handed by none other than Tyrions cut throat himself. I haven't read the books, but I'm calling Jaime versus the Mountain and in GoT fashion the Mountain will be reintroduced only to fall minutes later, again shocking the audience and stirring internet forums alike. Enraged, Tywin still orders Jaimie to take his oath to go white, head north and carry on the family name. Fast forward some time and his bride is Brienne and Jamie is actually happy. Cersei dies to dragon fire or some shit. Tywin dies and Jamie is the one that brings balance to the force.

Cyan

Banned
Cersei picks a white walker.

Tyrion also picks a white walker

The population of kings landing dies.

When the dragons eventually deign to show up on the continent, Cersei's walker gets melted first. Tyrion is declared innocent posthumously.

No way dood, Tyrion picks Benjen Stark who has been alive all this time.

Moaradin

Those dragons are getting pretty fucking big. Almost time for Dany to ride them!

I loved the trial scene. Super excited to see how this will all play out and also pretty terrified. If they kill Tyrion I riot :(

Robot Pants

Do we have to spoiler theories ? Because its clear as day to me that (pure guesses, no book spoilers)
post convo with Jaime, Tyrion trusts his brother and is going to ask him to fight for him. This explains all the wasted screen time with Jaime learning to fight off handed by none other than Tyrions cut throat himself. I haven't read the books, but I'm calling Jaime versus the Mountain and in GoT fashion the Mountain will be reintroduced only to fall minutes later, again shocking the audience and stirring internet forums alike. Enraged, Tywin still orders Jaimie to take his oath to go white, head north and carry on the family name. Fast forward some time and his bride is Brienne and Jamie is actually happy. Cersei dies to dragon fire or some shit. Tywin dies and Jamie is the one that brings balance to the force.
Jamie is GoT GOAT. He will bring balance.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's going to be that pretty looking dude vs. The Mountain.

Once The Mountain is announced as the combatant pretty dude is instantly going to volunteer.

Sober

No way dood, Tyrion picks Benjen Stark who has been alive all this time.
Well since there might be a week break before the actual trial by combat I'm sure they'll make use of this time by naming champions from Essos, so like Daario Naharis versus Grey Worm.

Nerokis

I'm still disappointed that Theon was left there by his sister. That whole scene felt weird.

Totally. That was a very oddly put together scene. Between this and the Caster's Keep action scene, I'm beginning to feel the action sequences are losing a bit of their luster. The one big exception, of course, being The Hound and Arya versus the Lannister scum.

Insane episode, nonetheless. It was all too obvious Shae was going to come back, but I can't believe she came back for that. Her character didn't exactly shine for most of season 3 or 4, but having rewatched season 2 recently, I found her capable of incredible sweetness. She was really endearing once, and even in her bad moments I didn't particularly mind her. For her to betray Tyrion like this because he was worried for her life passes a threshold of fucking stupid I cannot tolerate, though. Jesus.

And man, to see Tyrion cornered this way, and that final speech he gave at the end...my god. Whereas this season has generally been pretty mixed on the action side of things, it has been top notch in terms of building up tension through amazing writing and atmospheric queues. Seriously, wow. He better get out of this alive.

I'm not sure he will, though. Will Jaime be asked to fight on one side or the other? He better not die, either. I am just not seeing a scenario where this ends happily.

All in all, what a crazy episode. What an amazing Tyrion moment. It's really difficult to like his enemies right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom