• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. He was resisting Yara with everything he had, even biting her to get away. After the fight she was outnumbered, with Ramsay standing between her and Reek about to release a pack of vicious dogs.

Not really sure what people expected her to do there.
They had weapons and shields, and on top of that they were in an enclosed space. The dogs would not have been able to flank them if they used any semblance of tactical thought, which means they could've killed the animals and then dispatched Ramsay.

And_Boy

tumblr_msd2eu9F1h1sgy2y7o2_250.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
After next week there's a week with no episode before episode 8.

wat no this is unacceptable

edit; I just assumed Ramsay was all cut up because the girl he was with started cutting him in bed. Not much of a step up from strangling tbh

Very obvious that Tyrion will pick Jaime, hes like the only person in the world who doesn't consider him a dwarf but thinks of him as family.

As for Cersei, I think she will pick the flower Knight so that she can get rid of him.

I love this theory. Screw her father, give Jamie an ultimatum, get rid of another of the villainous Tyrrell.

Dash27

I hope Ramsey dies soon. Not a protracted thing like Joffrey.

Trial by combat? Seems goofy but OK.

My suspicion is that Shae was manipulated to make all that shit up to save Tyrion not punish him.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't get why people are upset with Yara's scene, I loved it. The whole point was to give her this badass speech about the Iron Born and how badass they are and how they don't leave people behind, yaddy daddy da. They get this little badass intro where they kill a bunch of Ramsey/Bolton's men and it looks like they are gonna escape with Theon, until Ramsey fucking Snow turns up. Ramsey takes their whole "Iron Born" reputation flips it on its head, laughs on it, and spits on it. He cuts through most of their men bare-chested, covered in blood, smiling as he does it. Yara and her men thought they were terror until they met true terror in Ramsey Snow, afterwards they flee like children. It's a small lesson that no matter how terrifying and frightening you think you are there will always be someone even more terrifying and frightening around the corner. As I said I loved it, soon Ramsey will probably assault the GreyJoy castle and repay them with a visit.

On a different note, Mark Gatiss showing up as one of the iron bankers is one of the greatest things ever. Although, Stannis should have demanded more Sherlock episodes from him as opposed to gold.

Dicer

Banned
I hope Ramsey dies soon. Not a protracted thing like Joffrey.

Trial by combat? Seems goofy but OK.

My suspicion is that Shae was manipulated to make all that shit up to save Tyrion not punish him.

How is anything she said made to save him exactly?!?!!?

She tossed his tiny ass under the bus.

+1 on Mark Gatiss appearance.
-1 on Shae's utter stupidity throughout the series. I like the actress a lot and the character has some redeeming qualities, but everything she does is through the filter of a child that has landed on her head far too many times
+1000 on Tyrion's speech/Dinklage's performance

I had an urge to write some parody lyrics...

Ty-ri'on - Loyal feat. Lanni' Wayne

[intro]
King's Landing, baby
You thought the trial was over?

[Verse 1: Lanni' Wayne]
We fought again last night
But she don't know my plight
I'm just tryna keep her safe, outta sight
But she ain't gettin' on this ship she wanna bone all night, oh

Nigga, that's Lannister
Why give a bitch a ship when she'd rather see you hurt?
Why bother with a trial when she'll testify and lie?
You know how the game goes
You either win or you die, I'm in shit, oh

Nigga, that's Lannister
She said you were her lion, but she all about lyin'
Maester Pycell in this bitch, talkin' poison-ous
I didn't kill no Joff, but I trusted this hoe
(Tyrry fuck with-!)

[Ty-ri'on:]
When a rich midget loves ya
But this midget's betrayed by his lover
These hoes ain't loyal
These hoes ain't loyal

foxtrot3d

Banned

Well, it's quite easy to imagine that she was threatened with her life and Tyrion's life if she didn't plead the way she did, she may have been told that if she did this they would spare Tyrion's life whereas without her testimony they would assure his death. At least that's the way I would like to believe things happened, I really don't see Shae being so stupid and spiteful as to actually voluntarily plead against Tyrion. That would make zero sense.

Why do people shit on Theon's scene ?

Yes that's ankward... But that's the fucking point. Even after last episodes i was surprised by how he reacted to his sister arrival. And that bath scene... Psychologically it's fucking rough, that last "act like you were Theon Greyjoy" was pure genius to me. And Alfie Allen is an amazing actor. And Ramsay's actor is pretty good too.

The rescue was useless ?
Yes, and that's the fucking point of this show, it's not because you have a plan that it will work.
Blackwater failed, rescue failed, Locke plan failed (i'm sure we were all expecting him to last longer). And that's needed and constantly reinforces the unexpected nature of the show.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I don't understand why people want to see Jaimie fight? He's only got his left hand, which we saw in the fight with Bronn, is pretty terrible. I don't see how fighting anyone would have a positive outcome for Jaimie...

Yara's outro montage last season had me waiting all season for their arrival and that was it?
Yeah, I was very disappointed. Guess we should know better with this series. 50 of the best of the Iron Islands? lol Ramsay made that shit look meager as fuck.

"Let's see how big your balls are"

We clearly saw the size of them last night.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I don't understand why people want to see Jaimie fight? He's only got his left hand, which we saw in the fight with Bronn, is pretty terrible. I don't see how fighting anyone would have a positive outcome for Jaimie...

Yeah that's why I think. It would be intense and a big steal if he wins, a big death if he doesn't.

I can't stop thinking about the Theon plot. It's so horrible, I just can't get over it lol. To be mutilated is bad enough, but then to be so utterly broken. Eugh. Gives me the willies just thinking about it. And add on top of that a failed rescue attempt.

I honestly don't know if he might totally go through with betraying his family with utter sincerity. I really wish they'd just put him out of his misery at least. He's like a beaten dog (obvious comparison is obvious-- but will Ramsey be able to turn him into an attack dog?)

Yeah, I was very disappointed. Guess we should know better with this series. 50 of the best of the Iron Islands? lol Ramsay made that shit look meager as fuck.

"Let's see how big your balls are"

We clearly saw the size of them last night.

It was 50 against a Castle. This was a sneak in, sneak out mission. Not a "fight dogs, a fucking madman and the soon to arrive reinforcements" mission. Theon was dead weight. Not worth it anymore.

pringles

Fucking Varys. Should have known better than to think he'd support Tyrion, he only supports the winning side. And Shae.. pure evil.

I so hope that Tyrion's demand for trial by combat completely backfires the plans of Cersei and Tywin.

sgossard

I'm really interested in seeing what Tyrion does after the trial provided he wins.
I want to see him doing Cartman's "Fuck you guys, I'm out" and what he does next.

I think his father treating him like that was the last nail in his relationship with his family (except Jamie).

Azih

It was 50 against a Castle. This was a sneak in, sneak out mission. Not a "fight dogs, a fucking madman and the soon to arrive reinforcements" mission. Theon was dead weight. Not worth it anymore.
And it would have worked if Theon was a prisoner and not... you know.. Reek.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tyrion is either a dead man walking, or he won't be in King's Landing for long. If he gets out of this there's no way he can stay around, stripped of titles and presence, surrounding by a city who thinks (or is pretending) he killed the king. Some of those people are his own family, who clearly want him dead.

Oh well. Last season was Rob, his wife, and Cat. This season we lost Joffrey. Maybe they need to balance it by slaughtering another likeable character.

Nameless

Fucking Varys. Should have known better than to think he'd support Tyrion, he only supports the winning side. And Shae.. pure evil.

I so hope that Tyrion's demand for trial by combat completely backfires the plans of Cersei and Tywin.

Go back to when Ned was in the same situation. All Varys could do was quietly broker the same deal Jaime brokered for Tyrion. He tells Ned flat out that he's no hero, he won't free him or publicly campaign for his release. Varys can't help the realm(or himself) if he overtly makes an enemy out of the Lannisters. Smart people don't jump aboard sinking ships, much less those half sunk already.

Dash27

Why is it goofy? It's already established within the story and it was literally a thing that happened in real life

I'm not saying it's not established I just find it... dumb. So a guy like the Mountain could be seen by 47 people committing a crime, and just ask for a trial by combat? It just feels silly to me as a concept, although the result will probably be cool depending on who fights.

Yeah, I want him to die soon. What do you mean about Shae?

It just seemed over the top for her to make up all that stuff, very choreographed along with the other evidence they compiled. So she didnt just make that up herself. So it would seem someone said to her "Go say Tyrion did this or else.... you die, he dies, everyone dies... whatever"

Maybe Littlefinger?

The Iron bank sequence was great but in many ways too little too late for Stannis, a character arc that has done absolutely nothing six episodes into season four after the change in direction at the end of season three, only now seeing some development.

Stannis gained the Florents, more men that Davos got for him. He had Davos get people for him, but they weren't enough. He's a stubborn and occassionally-hypocritical asshole but eventually he listens to Davos, and he hasn't had many scenes in Season 4, anyway. To be fair, every one of his scenes in Season 4 has had some information. He might seem like he's not moving but shit's being done.

Perhaps you just want him to keep moving and that's fair, I suppose.

Dash27

Not a minute prior Jamie (who also loves him) told him to just accept that he was going to be found guilty, and sent to the Wall. So it's all theater as far as I saw.

Sendero

Here is the end of the sixth episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFROZkA-EWg
I'm actually surprised on the reaction here on what happened on the trial. To me, it was pretty clear that:

1. Both Varys and Shae were putting a facade act. Both of them clearly are still on Tyrion's side. Not sure what's their rationale, but Varys said as much when he said that "unfortunately, I never forget anything". He was cooking something. Shae's confession felt pretty robotic and you can tell on the video's above, that she definitively did not want him to die. Guess we will find later, since whatever the reasons, Tyrion has already burned that bridge.

2. -"..if you let Tyrion live". -"DONE". That moment when you find out that all this trial was a chance perfectly planned to force Jaime to become a true heir (and get an alliance with Dorne)... Tywin, you magnificent motherf*!

3. I agree with others that the failed rescue was not properly filmed. The combat scene was poorly choreographed (except manly Ramsey, he was awesome). How come that none of those assassins threw their axes/knifes to prevent the hounds to be released?

Yes, I understand that Yara was put in a difficult position, since the whole Bolton keep's defense was likely on their way and the only thing she had -to begin with- was the Surprise factor. Doing that with a reticent and clearly broken brother while avoiding the hounds? They would all have died for sure. But the whole scene did not properly conveyed that. It required much more time.

4. That scene with Reek in the bath. The moment Ramsey took that sponge? That was some serious level of creepiness. Seems that most of the audience didn't care for it, but to me, it was one of the best moments of this Season. Best torturer ever.

5. People have been complaining that Danny's have been 100% successful in everything with no effort. But the last 2 episodes have been exactly the opposite: She has been "bitchslapped" twice: first, by easily losing her "conquered" cities, and now being shown the consequences of her "justice", by none other than a upper class man. She is learning that the real world is not white and black. And that there is much more behind a throne, that just fighting for it. She is basically being hit where it hurts the most: on her beliefs and creed.

Being humble is what she needs now. Let's see if she can learn from it.

Go back to when Ned was in the same situation. All Varys could do was quietly broker the same deal Jaime brokered for Tyrion. He tells Ned flat out that he's no hero, he won't free him or publicly campaign for his release. Varys can't help the realm(or himself) if he overtly makes an enemy out of the Lannisters. Smart people don't jump aboard sinking ships, much less those half sunk already.

I really hope this is the case and that he'll help Tyrion if he gets out of this, financially at least because unless Tyrion has some coin saved up somewhere he'll be broke, he won't get a dime from his family other than possibly Jamie, if he lives/if he fights.

I've always like Varys a lot, but not so much after last night.

Nameless

I really hope this is the case and that he'll help Tyrion if he gets out of this, financially at least because unless Tyrion has some coin saved up somewhere he'll be broke, he won't get a dime from his family other than possibly Jamie, if he lives/if he fights.

I've always like Varys a lot, but not so much after last night.

Yeah, I see no reason why Varys wouldn't. Tyrion would have to go somewhere beyond the reach of Cersei's spies and assassins. Dorne maybe? Essos would be even better. Lys seems like a natural destinations given their famous brothels.

televator

Peter muthafuckin Dinklage everybody!
giphy+(1).gif

A trial by combat? We know The Mountain is in this series...

The Mountain vs Bronn (bros or did he betray him?) /Jaime (also bros but Tywin probably wouldn't allow it?) / Oberyn (hates the mountain?! but prob not allowed being a judge.)

I-- Of course! The Mountain Vs Oberyn. Its the perfect setup. Oberyn gives no fucks and Tywin already promised him The Mountain. Now who fights for who? Hmmm...

Is Reek being sent to castle black?

Also fuck Shea. That goddam simpleton! Varys... I'm disappointed.

So... those dragons gonna be dragons. Daeny has got problems to figure out. How the hell did Aegon and his sister-wives ride them?

garath

I think the Lannisters are in for some hurting now. Tyrion is more than capable of being just as manipulative and bastardly as the rest of them but even moreso. He's more intelligent and capable. All these years he was holding back out of familial loyalty but I think they've finally pushed him over the edge. I believe this trail by combat was a gambit he was holding back in the off chance that there was going to be some real justice. Failing that, he's going to set them all back in one masterstroke.

The question is, what's the masterstroke going to be? Who's his champion? Jamie? Force the Lannisters to kill their favorite son to punish the hated? Braun? Hoping that his sellsword can beat anything they throw at him? Oberon? Give him the chance to strike back at the Lannisters in a very public fashion?

I doubt it's Braun. I don't think he's quite at the point to let Jamie burn yet. Could be Oberon. Could be himself? That seems like suicide though.

Curufinwe

I'm really glad they didn't show Reek's Ken doll area. I held my foot up to block the middle bottom of the TV screen during that scene in case they were going to.

I think he is going to Moat Cailin. Roose Bolton tells Ramsey to capture from the Greyjoys it in the second episode.

Sendero

No. Roose Bolton asked Ramsey to get Reek and take back another Castle (the name escape to me, but I do not think it has been shown yet). Might be remembering wrong, but it's likely the one that the Greyjoy's henchmen invaded since season 2 (or 3?) besides Winterfell.

Hence the relevance of using "Theon" as bait.

Nameless

They had weapons and shields, and on top of that they were in an enclosed space. The dogs would not have been able to flank them if they used any semblance of tactical thought, which means they could've killed the animals and then dispatched Ramsay.

Come on dude, Ramsay had dual-wield and unarmored maxed out plus bonus modifiers to all skills having just gotten laid. Yara and the small handful of guys she had left stood no chance, even before the dogs.

GoT5-1-Theon-Bites-Yara1.gif

Braag

I don't think Varys had any choice but to testify against Tyrion. More than likely Cersei told him to testify against him and it's not like he could say no to her since she would probably accuse Varys to be an accomplice then.
I even remember that scene where Tyrion said those words to Joffrey, that he should speak more softly to him as kings are dying like flies and Varys was smiling during that scene because I'm pretty sure Varys was one of the few people in Kingslanding who actually respected and recognized everything Tyrion accomplished while he was the hand of the king.

And the answer Varys gave to Tyrion during the trial was "Sadly, I never forget a thing".
I took it in a way that he remembers well what he said to Tyrion back in S3 but in this current situation he has no choice but to do what he is doing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Those called to be a champion in trial by combat surely can decline. I mean, Tyrion wants it, but he's going to need someone who'll actually...you know...fight for the dude accused of killing the king against whoever the Lannisters choose.

It's not the most appealing proposition, especially knowing that victory will surely mean Tyrion's ostracisation from the family and thus loss of wealth. Bronn swooped in because the claims came from a mad woman and he knew Tyrion was worth a fortune. But now? Who would seriously pick up sword for a supposed kingslayer?

Yeah, I see no reason why Varys wouldn't. Tyrion would have to go somewhere beyond the reach of Cersei's spies and assassins. Dorne maybe? Essos would be even better. Lys seems like a natural destinations given their famous brothels.

Given the interaction between Oberyn and Tyrion earlier in the season and Oberyn witnessing first hand last night just how vile the Lannisters treat their own family members, I think he might not only fight for him, but help him start a new life somewhere else, in return he'll get his revenge and possibly more with Tyrions knowledge.

To this fathers castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom