• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braag

Those called to be a champion in trial by combat surely can decline. I mean, Tyrion wants it, but he's going to need someone who'll actually...you know...fight for the dude accused of killing the king against whoever the Lannisters choose.

It's not the most appealing proposition, especially knowing that victory will surely mean Tyrion's ostracisation from the family and thus loss of wealth. Bronn swooped in because the claims came from a mad woman and he knew Tyrion was worth a fortune. But now? Who would seriously pick up sword for a supposed kingslayer?

I'm pretty sure Jaime would if he had both hands but right now he's no match against even a common soldier.

plus bonus modifiers to all skills having just gotten laid.

LOL
This should be a buff in some RPG.

Ovid

Oh well. Last season was Rob, his wife, and Cat. This season we lost Joffrey. Maybe they need to balance it by slaughtering another likeable character.
Robb was my favorite character and his death left me speechless. I really hope Tyrion doesn't die.

Those called to be a champion in trial by combat surely can decline. I mean, Tyrion wants it, but he's going to need someone who'll actually...you know...fight for the dude accused of killing the king against whoever the Lannisters choose.

It's not the most appealing proposition, especially knowing that victory will surely mean Tyrion's ostracisation from the family and thus loss of wealth. Bronn swooped in because the claims came from a mad woman and he knew Tyrion was worth a fortune. But now? Who would seriously pick up sword for a supposed kingslayer?

I'm thinking in this current scenario, Tyrion isn't even expecting or planning on asking on someone fighting for him. I think he literally meant it as he was going to fight (and knowingly die) instead of following the shitty plotline his father is trying to employ.

woolley

Cause he's kinda short.
And I think everybody can name their champion.
Bit if your fate is decided by the gods then your abilities/disabilities shouldn't matter.

But I guess it can also be said the gods gave someone the ability and strength to fight for you.

Wulv

Neo Member

Judging by some brief clips that have been shown during the season I'm calling it...

The Throne chooses the Mountain as its Champion. And that decision by itself leads Prince Oberyn to volunteer to be Tyrion's Champion due to the whole revenge side of things.

Nameless

I'm thinking in this current scenario, Tyrion isn't even expecting or planning on asking on someone fighting for him. I think he literally meant it as he was going to fight (and knowingly die) instead of following the shitty plotline his father is trying to employ.

I'm guessing Tyrion will name Jaime, naturally assuming their father wouldn't match his heir against a viable opponent. But since the Kingsguard ultimately serve at the behest of the royal family, Tommen/Tywin will invoke some statute precluding its Lord Commander from fighting in a dual, citing that the King's security takes priority above all other matters.

Overdoziz

Banned
i0kuWRYOeQXI0.gif

So good. Should've used fainting goats, though.

Jonogunn

The only person that knew of their relationship was Varys. Remember what he said, he NEVER forgets. He probably told Cersei. You know for the good of the realm....smh.

Cersei knew of their relationship as well. remember at the wedding Cersei pointed shae out to lord tyrion?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't think Varys had any choice but to testify against Tyrion. More than likely Cersei told him to testify against him and it's not like he could say no to her since she would probably accuse Varys to be an accomplice then.
I even remember that scene where Tyrion said those words to Joffrey, that he should speak more softly to him as kings are dying like flies and Varys was smiling during that scene because I'm pretty sure Varys was one of the few people in Kingslanding who actually respected and recognized everything Tyrion accomplished while he was the hand of the king.

And the answer Varys gave to Tyrion during the trial was "Sadly, I never forget a thing".
I took it in a way that he remembers well what he said to Tyrion back in S3 but in this current situation he has no choice but to do what he is doing.

Exactly, you think Varys has survived this long by siding with the loser. Varys serves the realm and the greater good, as much as he may respect and love Tyrion for what he has done there is nothing to be gained by siding with him. He thus must play his part no matter how distasteful to ensure he maintains his position and can keep serving the greater good.

Flo_Evans

I don't think Bronn will fight for Tyrion again. He is either in jail or dead. Or paid off...

Shae was obviously being manipulated, Varys doing his usual go along with the people in power and secretly plot behind their back, he is not going to testify against the wishes of Tywin and get kicked off the small council/killed.

In a trail by combat who picks a champion 1st? I kind of agree Tyrion will not pick a champion but someone will help him (poison the mointain before the fight or something) Seeing Oberyn fight the mountain would be cool but I don't see him doing it. He is supposed to be a judge. But he does want to kill the mountain who is the obvious choice of the crown.

edit: bleh I googled someones name to check the spelling and saw his nickname in the search results, combined with reading someones spoiler about the next episode title I am pretty sure who will fight for Tyrion now.

wildfire

Banned

The most obvious answer would be THE Kingslayer.

Jaime said it himself that he defied a King's orders to save his brother. It would require some extreme circumstances for Jaime to be replaced with another.

LOL
This should be a buff in some RPG.

It actually was in Legend of Zelda The Adventure of Link.

Nintendo was a lot ballsier during the NES days.

Nameless

Given the interaction between Oberyn and Tyrion earlier in the season and Oberyn witnessing first hand last night just how vile the Lannisters treat their own family members, I think he might not only fight for him, but help him start a new life somewhere else, in return he'll get his revenge and possibly more with Tyrions knowledge.

Yeah, Oberyn definitely sees what's happening. If anyone would help Tyrion besides Jaime or Bronn it would be him.

I'm really hoping Tyrion doesn't get Bronn killed, though. He could beat a Ser Meryn with ease, but I wouldn't like his chances against The Mountain.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was 50 against a Castle. This was a sneak in, sneak out mission. Not a "fight dogs, a fucking madman and the soon to arrive reinforcements" mission. Theon was dead weight. Not worth it anymore.
That sequence was just poorly shot, and seemed budget constrained. It still isn't clear to me how they escaped, I'm assuming he did actually release the dogs so how did they make it back to the beach? I felt like it needed one more scene of them fighting their way out, something that would link between the dogs about to be released and them getting back in the boat. It was just confusing, although I guess it did communicate that Theon is so far gone that he is no longer considered Theon by his sister and his people.

Braag

It actually was in Legend of Zelda The Adventure of Link.

Nintendo was a lot ballsier during the NES days.

I was sure someone would correct me that there all ready is such a thing in a game but Legend of Zelda... really? That was unexpected :D

televator

i0kuWRYOeQXI0.gif

You know what I'm thinking? Most if not all the dragons along with important people in Daeny's lot get snuffed out by Tywin before they become a bigger problem. I'm thinking daeny falls for Daario, and she's getting the hang of rulling over most of her liberated lands. They're having a feast and boom! Reins of Castamere plays on the juke box, and its red wedding part 2.

Daeny will live and will be pulled deeper into a ruthless temperment.... one dragon will live and she bends it to her will and swears to rain dragon fire on King's landing... most of it on the head of Tywin Lanister.

I think having 3 dragons is symbolic of the possible paths that daeny has in front of her, but they're out of controll right now. Tywin will simplify things by leaving her just one path to travel. 1 path, 1 dragon to master.

I don't think he hurt her at all, actually. The amount of Iron Born that we saw die doesn't account for all of the missing Iron Born we don't see as Yara tucked tail and ran back to her boat. I suspect Ramsay and his henchmen killed their way through the other Iron Born into the kennels, which is why he's covered in blood.

Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious. Dude probably killed dozens of Iron Born lames before getting to the dungeon where Meek was.

i0kuWRYOeQXI0.gif

I found this scene awesome and funny, like the dragon burns a goat and just swoops in and its already done roasting and ready to eat. Its like fast food pickup or something lol.

iNvid02

I cant see Oberyn taking out the mountatin unless he has some tricks up his sleeve. That mofo fully armoured with a greatsword against a prince who will probably fight in his robes, he has to use poison or something else to get an edge.

Is the kingdom and king's landing completely unaware of what's happened at Castle Black? Tywin said he would send Tyrion there like it was business as usual.

Ovid

I really hope Yara's just going to recoup and try again a different way. If someone takes out jerk face cock chopper I hope it's her.
I don't think she's trying again.

Is the kingdom and king's landing completely unaware of what's happened at Castle Black? Tywin said he would send Tyrion there like it was business as usual.
They don't know and they don't care. The Wall and it's politics are like a completely different world to them lol.

Braag

I cant see Oberyn taking out the mountatin unless he has some tricks up his sleeve. That mofo fully armoured with a greatsword against a prince who will probably fight in his robes, he has to use poison or something else to get an edge.

Maybe, but everyone keeps mentioning how Oberyn is a "legendary warrior" so clearly he's skilled even though The Mountain is probably twice bigger than he is.
I hope he doesn't rely on poisons or anything even though they all ready mentioned in a conversation between him and Tywin that he's expert when it comes to poisons but I hope he fights fair and square and hopefully wins.

Ovid

Who knows. Moat Cailin isn't to far and is occupied by Iron Born forces. It's not out of the question she goes there to regroup and ends up reconsidering.
She said that he's "dead". Unless their father tells her to try again I don't see it happen.

The unmarked spoiler thread is really ruining my life

#fwp
Bookmark this thread and only enter through your Subscriptions.

Nameless

She said that he's "dead". Unless their father tells her to try again I don't see it happen.

Bookmark this thread and only enter through your Subscriptions.

True. It probably won't even matter since Theon is heading undercover to Moat Cailin.

I was hoping that Yara would gut Ramsey and kill him slowly. That was a disappointing raid., that achieved very little, if anything.

Why would you want this to happen? Ramsay is a much better character than Yara. I'm rooting for him to defeat the Greyjoys and earn himself the Bolton name even though I think Theon will snap out of it enough to kill him. Hopefully I'm wrong though; not only would that be predictable, but he deserves no victory or redemption. Reek should live out the rest of his days as Ramsay's loyal dog.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe he fights using Syrio's water dancing technique. It would be a nice parallel to Arya and The Hound.

This show is great to teach my wife what bad acting is (werr r me dragons) versus what really good acting from Tyrion. I hope she will appreciate the differences more.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Remember what the Hound said. Bigger armor, bigger sword always wins.

Of course that's what he thinks, because that's the only way he knows how to fight. Arya wouldn't be able to use the same brute force technique The Hound uses. I think having a smaller, less armored Oberyn beat the giant armored Mountain would lead in nicely to Arya mastering the technique.

Why would you want this to happen? Ramsay is a much better character than Yara. I'm rooting for him to defeat the Greyjoys and earn himself the Bolton name even though I think Theon will snap out of it enough to kill him. Hopefully I'm wrong though; not only would that be predictable, but he deserves no victory or redemption. Reek should live out the rest of his days as Ramsay's loyal dog.

Because he is a sadist piece of shit, that deserves a slow death. I don´t care about Yara, i just really dislike Ramsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom