• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogni-XR21

Very safe. They don't cover anything in the previews. I've listened to it for years and have never been spoiled on anything.

I listened to the first 15 minutes of the latest one, and the woman (who read the books) made at least 2 remarks of something to come out of certain scenes. Already too spoilery for me.

gatisimo

If I remember correctly, you may have a Volunteer fight in your stead when demanding TBC. Keyword being Volunteer. Bronn volunteered because he stood to make a ton of gold.

I might be wrong, but iirc, Tyrion actually named Jamie Lannister as his champion. The court said "lol, it'll take him 2 months to get here, you're just delaying" (I might be paraphrasing), and demanded he be defended by someone on the premises. That's when Bronn stepped up.

I definitely think Tywin was lying and that both parties knew he was full of shit. I think tywin even knows oberyn knows he's full of shit. It's just that there wasn't much to be gained by arguing about it at that moment, and both know the mountain is his first priority. They were agreeing to cooperate with each other at least for the time being.
Oberyn has to play a part in Tywin's ending. His hype at the moment needs to raise so he can become one of my favorites, he's already very close. Even though that'll likely happen regardless if he saves Tyrion's life if he gets chosen as the champion. On one hand, that would be awesome. On the other hand.. what the fuck HBO marketing team? Season 4 premiere show that Oberyn gets ready to fight someone and episode listing
episode 8 title, The Viper vs The Moutain

It would be very interesting if Oberyn and the Mountain fight, and another fight happens with Brom/Jaime vs whoever is chosen by Tywin/Cersei.

Khaz

I might be wrong, but iirc, Tyrion actually named Jamie Lannister as his champion. The court said "lol, it'll take him 2 months to get here, you're just delaying" (I might be paraphrasing), and demanded he be defended by someone on the premises. That's when Bronn stepped up.

He named him because he knew he would accept to fight for him. It wasn't a demand, more like a polite request. A messenger would have to be dispatched to tell Jamie that his brother was having a trial by combat and if he wanted to volunteer as Champion he would be most welcome.

I listened to the first 15 minutes of the latest one, and the woman (who read the books) made at least 2 remarks of something to come out of certain scenes. Already too spoilery for me.

That's pretty extreme of you if you really think that's too much. Usually she just says she's excited for a future event without ever getting into anything resembling specifics. The other host of the show is borderline neurotic about not getting spoiled.

Juz

fa7j9Gf.gif

Nor should he be fat anymore. How long was he running around on the other side of the wall? How much food did he have with him? The Gods are surely watching over Sam.

I always took it that he recognised her but did not say anything.

Yeah. Conversely, I saw it as one of those, "Wait, was that....NAHHH what am i stupid. What were we talking about again, oh ya..." I just don't see Littlefinger noticing another Stark heir here and doing nothing about it because his plan revolves around controlling the last Stark if Rob falls. Sure maybe he wouldn't tell Tywin but he would at least ask about her, have a spy keep tabs on her, something.

Yeah Arya's not in a safe position but Littlefinger isn't the type of person to leave something like this up to chance.

Nameless

My vote is for Samwell Tarley. There's no way in hell that chump should be alive.

I don't agree with the other suggestions at all, but you might have a point here. White Walkers should have iced dude no less than three times, and he probably should have gotten stabbed fleeing Craster's during the mutiny.

Vashetti

Banned
People I think have plot armour:

Dany
Jon
Bran
Sansa
Arya

I added Arya and Sansa, because Sansa's just been a victim the entire time and hasn't really "reacted" to any of that yet, so it would make her arc pointless if she died before then.

Arya has her list of "doomed men" and has just been flitting between "captors" since Season 2, plus she hasn't done a huge amount yet. Again her arc would be immensely unsatisfying if she died before getting to take out some more people on her list.

inky

because Sansa's just been a victim the entire time and hasn't really "reacted" to any of that yet, so it would make her arc pointless if she died before then.

Sansa's resolution is going to be so weird to me.

What I want to happen is*, at her lowest point in the story (yes, even lower than now), she is going to take a fucking knife and stab Littlefinger in the eye saving the kingdom or something.

What is really going to happen knowing this show is she's gonna die in a ditch somewhere after she has been the bride to every would be king in Westeros never having taken control of her life again =(

* Well, what I really, really want to happen is:
Dany saves her and they unite forces and have hot, steamy sex in the back of a giant ass dragon
:p

Dany
Jon
Bran
Sansa
Arya

I added Arya and Sansa, because Sansa's just been a victim the entire time and hasn't really "reacted" to any of that yet, so it would make her arc pointless if she died before then.

Arya has her list of "doomed men" and has just been flitting between "captors" since Season 2, plus she hasn't done a huge amount yet. Again her arc would be immensely unsatisfying if she died before getting to take out some more people on her list.
I definitely think Jon could die, ever since he came back to Castle Black I feel like any plot armor he had was stripped away. Dany, Bran and Arya definitely though.

Dany
Jon
Bran
Sansa
Arya

It does feel like Dany has some beastly plot armor. There's no way she dies until some more plotlines converge and put a suitable replacement protagonist somewhere close to her.

If Ricken is going to become a real character I could imagine Bran dying and passing on the warg mantle. Bran's probably safe til he makes enough warg-progress to have something meaningful to pass on, though.

I could imagine Jon winding up dead with a replacement nightwatch brother providing our wall-viewpoint eventually. I don't feel like Jon has plot armor so much as "characters horribly dying nonstop is as much of a contrivance as characters surviving indefinitely." It doesn't seem like blatant bullshit to me that he's still alive.The protagonists aren't miracle-workers but neither are their enemies- the story depends on both sides getting screwed over, not just one.

I put sansa in the same shoes- it seems natural to me that she has not died yet, given her circumstances. It would make less sense for her to be dead than it does for her to be alive.

I could imagine Arya's story crossing into "ok seriously how are you still alive" territory eventually but I don't think it's quite there yet so it doesn't feel like plot armor to me either. If the story reaches a point where death would make sense but her death still seems impossible, then I'll call plot armor. For now, there have been enough strong people with interest in keeping her alive for me to not get pissed. I mean, it it really bullshit that a kingsguard member makes a good bodyguard? Or that the faceless man was good at killing?

Death for death's sake screws up a story just as much as making death impossible. I don't consider having situations where death is unlikely to be plot armor. If you kill everybody all the time with no regard for logic you descend into self-parody

Barrage

Regarding the Trial-By-Combat: Does the accused pick first or the Judge? If Tywin picks first it seems like it'll be
Oberyn VS The Mountain
. But, I would love if it got really convoluted if Tyrion picks his champion first, say something like
Tyrion picks Jaime so that Tywin would have to have either both Lannisters die or none. Tywin somehow forces Bronn, so that way it's Jaime VS Bronn and either way Tyrion loses someone close to him.

Sansa's resolution is going to be so weird to me.

What I want to happen is*, at her lowest point in the story (yes, even lower than now), she is going to take a fucking knife and stab Littlefinger in the eye saving the kingdom or something.

What is really going to happen knowing this show is she's gonna die in a ditch somewhere after she has been the bride to every would be king in Westeros never having taken control of her life again =(

* Well, what I really, really want to happen is:
Dany saves her and they unite forces and have hot, steamy sex in the back of a giant ass dragon
:p
Sansa and Arya storylines need to start moving forward and with some direction soon. At this point, Sansa's torture needs to stop happening so much because only Hodor would stay at a standstill. I'm going to guess that Littlefinger or her is going to kill Lysa at like episode 9, then The Hound and Arya find out and leave for Bravos at episode 10? Mostly because the Starks can't seem to fucking have any sort of happy moments. If she goes to Bravos, I really hope it doesn't take half a season or an entire season of her pissing about walking around until she finds Jaaqen. Really though, I do wish that she meets Sansa before that happens if she does go to Bravos... I just don't want to have any hope when it comes to Kings/Queens of the North...

Sansa has been learning from the best manipulators in the game other than Varys who she doesn't talk to. Now she's getting 1 on 1 lessons of Littlefinger. I really hope she doesn't stay at Vale and moves back to King's Landing if Tyrion doesn't die. Her interaction with Tyrion would be pretty interesting and maybe she can start becoming more calculated.

sidenote: Can we see Rickon? It would be nice to see him in episode 9 and 10 to get some clarification. Shame he's being ignored entirely, he's a Stark ffs.

I definitely think Jon could die, ever since he came back to Castle Black I feel like any plot armor he had was stripped away. Dany, Bran and Arya definitely though.
Doubt it. Who is Jon Snow's mother? I'm assuming this is going to be some mind bending shit that's going to be revealed book 7 at the end of the series and I'd imagine he won't be killed before the revelation. I don't see him dieing before that revelation happens.

Kit really needs to do a better job acting though, he out of the 25 main characters is the only that puts me off the series. I think season 4 has been good to him though, really the only season. Maybe it's a combination of writing about him as well.

I'm not sure if I agree with Dany having plot armor, if only because she hasn't been put in any situations yet where she reasonably should have died. They weren't going to kill her in Qarth, and she didn't have to worry about the other Khals coming after her or that other Bloodrider coming after her because Drogo was still alive. Plus he picked a fight with Jorah, and we saw how that ending up. I guess an argument could be made about the dragon bonfire? I dunno. Once she starts dodging arrows in bullet time, I'll be there with you guys. :)

Sam, however, has the most plot armor ever luck of the gods.

Kit really needs to do a better job acting though, he out of the 25 main characters is the only that puts me off the series. I think season 4 has been good to him though, really the only season. Maybe it's a combination of writing about him as well.

I really don't understand the hate for Kit around GAF. :( Always liked the dude. I like Jon Snow a lot..he's probably my favorite character. Today was the first time I met someone who agreed with me actually. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom