• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

tumblr_n5g5pb4Xpi1qmfr3fo6_250.gif

Love Stannis. Love him. Wish I could find a longer GIF.
Managed to catch him between a scowl and a frown in that gif.

Nose Master

All he had to do was declare a trial by combat in front of everyone when he was supposed to confess his crime, again the real answer he didn't is because the plot needed him to die.

Could also be explained by either a) Ned wasn't as smart as Tyrian or b) wanting trial by combat would be admitting guilt to an extent, which he was too proud to do.

Another thing I noticed about the map on HBO website is that in Essos there is a huge delta to the East of Bravos but there is no city named there.

Cairo was one of the first areas that was cultivated by man because of the fertility of the Nile delta.

There should really be a city at this delta.

And yet, if we won a trial by combat his daughters could have walked away freely. I don't know why everyone is trying to come up with these explanations, can we just accept the fact that the "trial by combat" is a bit of a contrived plot device? All stories have plot holes and contrived plot devices especially ones as vast and complex as GoT, it doesn't make the story any weaker by accepting this fact.

It's not a plot hole. Again, if Tyrion had murdered Joffrey with a knife in front of everyone at the wedding, he'd have no grounds to ask for a trial by combat to get himself the hook. There would be no trial as there would be no question of his guilt.

This is correct. Ned literally tried to overthrow the king, was in the process of doing so, he was betrayed, caught, and had no right to a trial by combat. The trial by combat is only available in cases where guilt cannot be proven, so they "let the gods decide", because the gods would draw favour on the innocent person which would let them win the duel.

From the British 15th century rules of trial by combat:

The wager of battle was not always available to the defendant in an appeal of murder. If the defendant were taken in the mainour (that is, in the act of committing his crime), if he attempted to escape from prison, or if there was such strong evidence of guilt that there could be no effective denial, the defendant could not challenge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_combat

Gila

Rewatching Tywin and Arya in Harrenhal, probably some of my favourite scenes in the series so far.

Since Baelish owns this now, I feel like it's gonna come back and be really significant again later on.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Rewatching Tywin and Arya in Harrenhal, probably some of my favourite scenes in the series so far.

Since Baelish owns this now, I feel like it's gonna come back and be really significant again later on.

Jog my memory, but there was some debate at the time whether he realised it was Arya or not wasn't it?

like it seemed like he did.. but it was never 100% obvious?

Gila

Jog my memory, but there was some debate at the time whether he realised it was Arya or not wasn't it?

like it seemed like he did.. but it was never 100% obvious?

I can see that being debatable. I personally didn't notice him realizing she was Arya but there were a damn lot of times when he was like "how are you so smart"..

It did seem like Littlefinger noticed something recognizable about her during the scene with all 3 of them. I still doubt he told Tywin though

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I can see that being debatable. I personally didn't notice him realizing she was Arya but there were a damn lot of times when he was like "how are you so smart"..

It did seem like Littlefinger noticed something recognizable about her during the scene with all 3 of them. I still doubt he told Tywin though

Sorry, yes I did mean littlefinger!

and you've answered that question too!

I really enjoyed the dynamic of Tywin finding out how smart Arya was. it was enjoyable.

Why does everyone in the crowd gasp when Tyrion says he wants to take the combat option? They don't know about the deal to have Tyrion confess and beg for mercy and then get shipped to the wall. From what they've been seeing, Tyrion is almost certainly guilty and will almost certainly be put to death...so or course he's going to ask for the combat option. Why wouldn't he, if he's going to be put to death anyway? And what if someone really is guilty of some heinous crime? Can he just choose the combat option, win, and then get off scot free? What the hell kind on justice system is that? A dude could be a serial killer, kill a hundred people and then just choose the combat option when he gets put on trial, win, and then just go free and chill. The whole combat option is a ridiculous idea, and no society would ever have it.

This is correct. Ned literally tried to overthrow the king, was in the process of doing so, he was betrayed, caught, and had no right to a trial by combat. The trial by combat is only available in cases where guilt cannot be proven, so they "let the gods decide", because the gods would draw favour on the innocent person which would let them win the duel.

From the British 15th century rules of trial by combat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_combat

But the crown have produced a parade of witnesses showing motive, intent, planning and mechanism, and Tyrion was standing over the body; while Tyrion has no effective denial. The medieval Trial By Combat made some sort of sense in a case that was one man's word against another, there's no strong evidence either way so let the gods decide if both sides are willing. To be able to face the almost certain prospect of guilt and then wriggle out of it by asking for trial by combat is silly.

Then, even if we put that aside and accept that in the GOT world a defendant might be able to do that, it's a logical course of action for anyone in that situation. The crowd wouldn't be shocked, and Tywin if he's as smart as he thinks he is would definitely have factored it into his plan.

Ratrat

Then, even if we put that aside and accept that in the GOT world a defendant might be able to do that, it's a logical course of action for anyone in that situation.
Tyrion would have been fucked if Bronn hadnt stepped in the last time. Everyone in Kings Landing hates him but his crippled brother. You don't see how it would seem unlikely if he can be assured life at the wall?

Tyrion would have been fucked if Bronn hadnt stepped in the last time. Everyone in Kings Landing hates him but his crippled brother. You don't see how it would seem unlikely if he can be assured life at the wall?

Last time Tyrion was going through the hole in the floor, better to take the 1% chance in single combat. This time everyone except Jaime and Tywin thinks Tyrion's getting executed for regicide, not going to the wall. Even in Tywin's case he must at least consider that in the face of this farcical trial Tyrion's going to turn to TBC.

Isnt Mace married to Olenna? Not her son?

Either way, he doesnt know or suspect anything.

I think Mace calls Olenna mother at one point, when she's walking with Tywin. Edit: watched the scene again, maybe not.

I forgot, but does bran know his brother and mother are murdered?

No, unless Jojen's seen it in a vision. The only contact he's had with the outside world are the scenes with Sam and with Craster's mutineers.

A Cast of Kings

I highly recommend listening to their interview with Cogman (co-producer and writer for GoT.) He goes into lots of interesting details on making the show

Thanks!

Im VERRRRY much a stickler for spoilers. I don't like any foreshadowing or anything of that sort either. I always skip the "previously ons" and "next episode" previews as well as they give away too much.

Is this podcast still safe for me?

Thanks!

Im VERRRRY much a stickler for spoilers. I don't like any foreshadowing or anything of that sort either. I always skip the "previously ons" and "next episode" previews as well as they give away too much.

Is this podcast still safe for me?

Very safe. They don't cover anything in the previews. I've listened to it for years and have never been spoiled on anything.

Ovid

Yeah he'll probably die in there. Harrenhal is cursed.

"I saw your mother not long ago, she's very eager to see you...and your sister."

Sansa: "Aryas Alive?"

Littlefinger then just stares off into the horizon.

Yeah I think that's very debatable. It sounds like he's just adding a little lie on top trying to pull Sansa along. I mean Peter wouldn't actually have to have seen Arya to make that claim because Sansa wouldn't actually be going to see her mother anyways. He could have told her her wolf was also alive and waiting along with the tooth fairy.

Yeah I think that's very debatable. It sounds like he's just adding a little lie on top trying to pull Sansa along. I mean Peter wouldn't actually have to have seen Arya to make that claim because Sansa wouldn't actually be going to see her mother anyways. He could have told her her wolf was also alive and waiting along with the tooth fairy.

I always took it that he recognised her but did not say anything.

effzee

He did recognise her, he mentions it to Sansa in episode 1 of Season 3.

He being Tywin or Baelish?

I remember thinking Tywin at least knew she was noble or highborn because she was educated and smart but he couldn't pinpoint who she was.

Baelish gave her looks and might have known but then again if he did he would have at least tried to make a play for her for his own.

He also lied about Arya to Cat in session 2 when he returned Neds bones to her.

Vashetti

Banned
He being Tywin or Baelish?

I remember thinking Tywin at least knew she was noble or highborn because she was educated and smart but he couldn't pinpoint who she was.

Baelish gave her looks and might have known but then again if he did he would have at least tried to make a play for her for his own.

Baelish.

Azih

I don't think Baelish could have made a play for Arya while sitting in the middle of a Lannister army. I guess he figured that there was no benefit to him in letting Tywin grab her or in letting the Starks know that she's alive. So she's a nugget of information that only he has and information is currency to men like him.

Remember there was an old farmer who travelled to King's Landing to report the atrocities taking place in the Riverlands. Once he laid out the facts (humongous dude in black armor killing babies, decapitating horses, fucking people up, and leaving bushels of dead fish as a sign) it was clear the farmer was referring to The Mountain, who was attacking the Riverlands at Tywin's behest. Ned sentenced Ser Gregor to death and summoned Tywin to appear before the crown to answer for his knight's crimes.

Did we ever find out what Tywin was trying to do here by sending the Mountain to wreck Tully lands? Once the war began the Tullys were allied with Robb against the Lannisters but before that?

On a related point from a few episodes ago, do we think Tywin was lying to Oberyn about not ordering the Mountain to kill his sister and her children?

J-Rod

I definitely think Tywin was lying and that both parties knew he was full of shit. I think tywin even knows oberyn knows he's full of shit. It's just that there wasn't much to be gained by arguing about it at that moment, and both know the mountain is his first priority. They were agreeing to cooperate with each other at least for the time being.

Last time Tyrion was going through the hole in the floor, better to take the 1% chance in single combat. This time everyone except Jaime and Tywin thinks Tyrion's getting executed for regicide, not going to the wall. Even in Tywin's case he must at least consider that in the face of this farcical trial Tyrion's going to turn to TBC.

If I remember correctly, you may have a Volunteer fight in your stead when demanding TBC. Keyword being Volunteer. Bronn volunteered because he stood to make a ton of gold. Tywin wasn't worried about Tyrion demanding TBC because he is sure noone will fight for him.

Tyrion has the upper hand here with 2 very good options.

He can hope that Oberyn's hatred of all things Lannister would convince him to fight for him. Oberyn has been described as a totally badass fighter with no equal. Oberyn is a prince and thus, immune to Cercei's threats and BS. Probably immune to even Tywin's games. At this point, Tywin has to offer up the mountain, or the deal with Dorne is off as far as Oberyn is concerned. So, Tywin loses a powerful enforcer in the Mountain, or he loses his new alliance with Dorne when Oberyn dies.

Tyrions 2nd choice would have to be Jaime. Jaime was a fomidable swordsman before he lost his hand. Not so much anymore. This creates problems for Tywin. He has to find someone he KNOWS Jaime can beat/kill or risk losing the only "suitable" heir to his house. This sends Cercei off the deep end which is awesome.

Either way, Tyrion outsmarted Tywin and that will either piss him off immensely or turn on the proverbial lightbulb and make Tywin recognize what a master Tactician, and asset to the family, his youngest son is.

I love this damn show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom