• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

I woke up this morning having had a really involved dream about Game of Thrones, and I don't really remember what it was about but I suddenly had a theory about Sam's plot armour. I'm going to put it in spoiler tags though because I think it's crazy, not because it's a spoiler but I don't know if I'm guessing stuff that shouldn't be guessed at...

Could Sam still be alive because he swore his vows to the old gods? I'm too scared (of spoilers) to look up whether anyone else did with John Snow so I'll have to rewatch it, but I know Sam did. As far as I can see so far, the old gods are probably for real and so is the lord of light, but the seven are nowhere to be seen. Maybe it's something like, everyone at the wall used to make their vows to the old gods, and that's what kept everyone safe from the white walkers? But now that people have given up on the old gods, the wall has fallen into disregard and are just a bunch of chumps... I don't know, but it would be pretty crazy, and cool.

That's what I've been saying for the past few weeks now. The Old Gods are real and are marching on Westeros to remind the blasphemers that they're real (they made the point in the show that most people don't even believe in white walkers or anything like that anymore) and they're also marching to protect themselves from the Lord of Light who also seems to be real in some sort of way so it's like a war of the gods.

I've been saying that the Faith of the Seven seems to have no real supernatural elements credited to them while the Old Gods and the Red God seem to at least have something to them (more confirmed with the Old Gods based on history though).

As far as that protecting Sam? Who knows, maybe his "conversion" has protected him from the White Walkers who might spare their followers (doubtful but who knows since it hasn't protected the Starks). I think there's something to that as well based on the HBO game in FB which goes into the backstory some more. I just haven't talked about it on here since I don't know if "past history" is considered spoilers even if it's in a game based on the HBO show and goes no further than the show. Since it's technically not directly said in the show, I just ignored it.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else wants to talk about the mythological aspects of the show. I think the Old Gods are coming back and that they're linked to the old families and that they'll fight to stop the spread of the Red God which would be even more popular if Stannis becomes king. I just hope he won't burn heretics and shit but I see that plotline being similar to the Middle Ages where some countries had kings but were secretly being ruled by the head of their religion just like Henry VIII.

It should be interesting to see how it all pans out but I'm hoping we get to see some White Walker action soon. I don't want it to be what I think is the predictable story where Bran gets powerful enough to control the dragons and uses them to stop the White Walkers. If that happens, I at least want to see them do some damage before-hand but it seems like Stannis, Bran, and Jon are the only ones that care to stop it.

Edit: As far as I know, speculation doesn't need to be in spoilers as long as there's no knowledge of what's going to happen or if it involves previews, etc. I personally like discussing the theories and trying to figure things out even if it takes 4 years to get the answers.

Co-worker at work just hinted something. Not that big, but fucks sake man.. control yourself. "hey you know this character and what you think he/she may do, it's not that".. well then I can assume already what he or she is going to do then...

Can't people stop insinuate at all? I can already pick some story elements by guessing, I don't need hints. Reminds me of dumb youtuber reviwers "there's only 3 ways that storyline can go".. gee weez, thanks for narrowing it down for me douchebag. I was having fun speculating until you cleared it up for me.

I know how you feel there. My friend will do these "hints" over what little he knows and it's driving me crazy so I got fed up with him (he also spoiled Bioshock Infinite for everyone he knows on purpose) and told him the only big spoiler I know that's going to happen sometime in the future and boy did he shut up quick. It's the first time I've done that but he was asking for it at that point.

Peagles

That's what I've been saying for the past few weeks now. The Old Gods are real and are marching on Westeros to remind the blasphemers that they're real (they made the point in the show that most people don't even believe in white walkers or anything like that anymore) and they're also marching to protect themselves from the Lord of Light who also seems to be real in some sort of way so it's like a war of the gods.

I've been saying that the Faith of the Seven seems to have no real supernatural elements credited to them while the Old Gods and the Red God seem to at least have something to them (more confirmed with the Old Gods based on history though).

As far as that protecting Sam? Who knows, maybe his "conversion" has protected him from the White Walkers who might spare their followers (doubtful but who knows since it hasn't protected the Starks). I think there's something to that as well based on the HBO game in FB which goes into the backstory some more. I just haven't talked about it on here since I don't know if "past history" is considered spoilers even if it's in a game based on the HBO show and goes no further than the show. Since it's technically not directly said in the show, I just ignored it.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else wants to talk about the mythological aspects of the show. I think the Old Gods are coming back and that they're linked to the old families and that they'll fight to stop the spread of the Red God which would be even more popular if Stannis becomes king. I just hope he won't burn heretics and shit but I see that plotline being similar to the Middle Ages where some countries had kings but were secretly being ruled by the head of their religion just like Henry VIII.

It should be interesting to see how it all pans out but I'm hoping we get to see some White Walker action soon. I don't want it to be what I think is the predictable story where Bran gets powerful enough to control the dragons and uses them to stop the White Walkers. If that happens, I at least want to see them do some damage before-hand but it seems like Stannis, Bran, and Jon are the only ones that care to stop it.

Edit: As far as I know, speculation doesn't need to be in spoilers as long as there's no knowledge of what's going to happen or if it involves previews, etc. I personally like discussing the theories and trying to figure things out even if it takes 4 years to get the answers.

I know how you feel there. My friend will do these "hints" over what little he knows and it's driving me crazy so I got fed up with him (he also spoiled Bioshock Infinite for everyone he knows on purpose) and told him the only big spoiler I know that's going to happen sometime in the future and boy did he shut up quick. It's the first time I've done that but he was asking for it at that point.

Yeh, I dig your style, nice to see we are thinking along the same lines.

Though I've just become a dirty book reader as of today so I guess I'll be leaving shortly. It's been fun.

roytheone

So what do you guys think Tywin's plan is to deal with Dany? The counsel meeting scene in the last episode made it clear that they are beginning to see Dany as a much bigger threat. I personally think that they will try to out Jorah as the ex-traitor he was. Jorah being a spy for Varys was mentioned during the meeting, and Tywin ordered Varys to put some more "birds" in Mereen. Dany now has a big army and three dragons that keep on growing, so direct combat to deal with her is probably not the smartest idea. However, she is quite inexperienced with leading, and if her most trusted advisor is outed as a "traitor", the internal turmoil that will follow will probably cripple her much easier than a direct attack.

Khaz

But the White walkers already came during the last long winter, and they fought against the First Men who had faith in the old gods. This is why there is a Wall in the first place, to protect mankind from the dangers of the North. It disproves your theory that the White Walkers are some sort of crusaders for the Old Gods who want to be reminded. In the old days, they were known and prayed to.

I do think White walkers are just another sort of sentient humanoids who dwells in the cold. Because Winter is coming, their biotope is expanding and allows them to move south.

Now, why is winter coming, the climate in this world so fucked up, and magic having a resurgence? Maybe there are powers out there that we can't comprehend, but clearly they are influencing the big picture, climate and magic, not answering prayers from single individuals.

demolitio

But the White walkers already came during the last long winter, and they fought against the First Men who had faith in the old gods. This is why there is a Wall in the first place, to protect mankind from the dangers of the North. It disproves your theory that the White Walkers are some sort of crusaders for the Old Gods who want to be reminded. In the old days, they were known and prayed to.

I do think White walkers are just another sort of sentient humanoids who dwells in the cold. Because Winter is coming, their biotope is expanding and allows them to move south.

Now, why is winter coming, the climate in this world so fucked up, and magic having a resurgence? Maybe there are powers out there that we can't comprehend, but clearly they are influencing the big picture, climate and magic, not answering prayers from single individuals.

Those two thoughts weren't mutually exclusive though. They don't have to leave their believers alone if they're related to the Old Gods similar to Greek mythology when they would punish EVERYONE in a city for turning their backs on their gods. In this case, they'd be coming back to fight off the invasion of the Lord of Light who also seems to have some sort of power and Melisandre has talked about her god being the only god but there being an evil presence as well. With the Lord of Light being represented by fire and the White Walkers by ice, there could be a correlation between the two.

It's not necessarily so much about making people remember but opposing the Lord of Light which should take off quite rapidly if/when Stannis is king.

If they're just humanoids, then they have the most magic in the show so far and Bran's storyline is completely pointless since they keep alluding to a prophecy with him saving the day and those images are full of Old God imagery.

There's way too much going on to say nothing is related and that the white walkers are just moving due to climate change. There has to be some sort of reason they're moving and why they'll be able to get past the wall. Could a lot of it really just be magic? I believe so when it comes a lot of what happens in the show, but that doesn't dispel the notion of any of the gods being real either because changing babies into white walkers is some pretty heavy stuff.

Loakum

Banned
For once I'm actually excited to see Sansa's storyline in this upcoming episode. Poor girl just goes from a bad situation to a even worse one.....(not as bad as Theon though..)

TheContact

Those two thoughts weren't mutually exclusive though. They don't have to leave their believers alone if they're related to the Old Gods similar to Greek mythology when they would punish EVERYONE in a city for turning their backs on their gods. In this case, they'd be coming back to fight off the invasion of the Lord of Light who also seems to have some sort of power and Melisandre has talked about her god being the only god but there being an evil presence as well. With the Lord of Light being represented by fire and the White Walkers by ice, there could be a correlation between the two.

It's not necessarily so much about making people remember but opposing the Lord of Light which should take off quite rapidly if/when Stannis is king.

If they're just humanoids, then they have the most magic in the show so far and Bran's storyline is completely pointless since they keep alluding to a prophecy with him saving the day and those images are full of Old God imagery.

There's way too much going on to say nothing is related and that the white walkers are just moving due to climate change. There has to be some sort of reason they're moving and why they'll be able to get past the wall. Could a lot of it really just be magic? I believe so when it comes a lot of what happens in the show, but that doesn't dispel the notion of any of the gods being real either because changing babies into white walkers is some pretty heavy stuff.

I agree and people ask me why I like stannis even though he's a one dimensional character who hasn't done much. It's because he's the only potential king who would actually do something about the white walkers because he sees them as a real threat whereas the rest see it as a fairy tail. Well we know they are real and Melissandre's fire god is probably going to be a great asset. Long love stannis the true king!

SeanR1221

Wait how did Shae get back in Kings landing?

I thought Bronn saw her off on the boat?

Maybe Shae and Bronn are fucking? The last dagger in Tyrion's heart would be hearing his gf and best friend were getting it on. Oh man Shae telling him that would rival the IFT scene from Breaking Bad.

New episode tonight:
Mockingbird

Tyrion gains an unlikely ally; Daario asks Dany to allow him to do what he does best; Jon's warnings about the vulnerability of the Wall are ignored; Brienne follows a new lead.
Note that Game of Thrones is off next week for the Memorial Day weekend. After tonight, the next new episode will be on June 1st.

Chopper

I get the feeling that tonight's is gonna be an important episode. What with the trial and the week-long gap, I get the feeling something huge is gonna go down.

Ovid

Wait how did Shae get back in Kings landing?

I thought Bronn saw her off on the boat?

Maybe Shae and Bronn are fucking? The last dagger in Tyrion's heart would be hearing his gf and best friend were getting it on. Oh man Shae telling him that would rival the IFT scene from Breaking Bad.

She never left. Tywin intercepted her (off camera) before the wedding (S4E2).

I don't know if Bronn played a part in this but Tywin specifically told Cersei to bring her to the Tower of Hand BEFORE the wedding. At the wedding, Tyrion asked Bronn if she boarded the ship and he said yes. I believe Tywin had someone remove her from the ship before it departed.

Loakum

Banned
I might be the only one, but I'm starting to feel sorry for Theon (Reek). I think he suffered worse than any character on Game of Thrones.

Ovid

I might be the only one, but I'm starting to feel sorry for Theon (Reek). I think he suffered worse than any character on Game of Thrones.
He's not a terrible guy and really doesn't deserve to be tortured like this.

He didn't wanted to kill Bran and Rickon so he used two innocent boys instead. He wanted to lock Sir Rodrick in a dungeon but was goaded to have him pay the iron price instead. He liked the Stark's and he was best friends with Robb.

He's a very conflicted character.

ThornDust

Neo Member

He didn't wanted to kill Bran and Rickon so he used two innocent boys instead. He wanted to lock Sir Rodrick in a dungeon but was goaded to have him pay the iron price instead. He liked the Stark's and he was best friends with Robb.

I thought he killed the two orphans because he couldn't find Bran and Rickon?

Loakum

Banned

All his bad choices in life was for his father to accept him as his son. To see how Ramsay completely twisted Theon's mind to become "Reek" is the most sadest sight ever! I actually teared up seeing Theon nervous twitch, when Ramsay gave him a bath. I kind of wish they kill Reek/Theon, just to end his suffering.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So I was listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (NPR) and:

Apparently a (60 year old!) guy in England got a parking ticket, and rather than pay it tried to request trial by combat. Very timely

Edit: Here is the Telegraph's report

Ovid

I thought he killed the two orphans because he couldn't find Bran and Rickon?

Well, he sent the hounds after them and they picked up their scent. We don't know what happened after that. All we know is that the two farm boys were dead.

Also, when Lord Bolton told Theon/Reek that Robb was dead you saw that news had an affect on him.

He liked the Stark's.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Same here. Theon's treachery of the Starks was a result of him being caught between choosing his family or choosing the people who killed his brothers, humiliated his father, and took him hostage. Even as he strolled into his father's throne room, Theon fully intended to carry out his task as given to him by Robb. But man, family has a way to mess with your head. Then when he takes Winterfall, it's clear Theon has no intention to mistreat the locals, and is forced to on the fear that his man might mutiny on him.

Well, he sent the hounds after them and they picked up their scent. We don't know what happened after that. All we know is that the two farm boys were dead.

Also, when Lord Bolton told Theon/Reek that Robb was dead you saw that news had an affect on him.

He liked the Stark's.

Agreed

Although I believe Theon had redeemed himself when he said his real father died in Kings Landing (Ned Stark). I feel really bad for him.

I was thinking the same... boy if he thinks being stuck in the friendzone is bad...
Wouldn't she be forgiving though, considering he's been loyal to her this entire time? He could have let a guard kill her back when she was with the Dothraki. Unless she looks at it black and white as she usually does. :S I would be very sad if she has him killed, that would be brutal. :( I hope she forgives and it just takes 2-3 episodes...

Loakum

Banned
Same here. Theon's treachery of the Starks was a result of him being caught between choosing his family or choosing the people who killed his brothers, humiliated his father, and took him hostage. Even as he strolled into his father's throne room, Theon fully intended to carry out his task as given to him by Robb. But man, family has a way to mess with your head. Then when he takes Winterfall, it's clear Theon has no intention to mistreat the locals, and is forced to on the fear that his man might mutiny on him.

exactly.

Nameless

To me, transformation of Theon to Reek is every bit as sad as the transformation of Smeagol to Gollum....if not worse.

I have sympathy for Smeagol; the Ring twists people's psyche and creates a hyper-obsessive bond. Theon was just a cunt bag. He deserves everything that's happened to him. We the audience should be in Ramsay's debt for taking that rude, arrogant, backstabbing asshole, and turning him into a respectful and loyal follower.

Ovid

I agree and people ask me why I like stannis even though he's a one dimensional character who hasn't done much. It's because he's the only potential king who would actually do something about the white walkers because he sees them as a real threat whereas the rest see it as a fairy tail. Well we know they are real and Melissandre's fire god is probably going to be a great asset. Long love stannis the true king!
I have one more episode before my rewatch is complete and I think I agree with you. Stannis does seen like he would be a good king. Melissandre and Davos are like his shoulder angels. There are even a few shots were they're both shown that way too lol.

He seems like a reasonable guy, even though he never smiles.

Vashetti

Banned
The Starks treated Theon as another son, Balon didn't seem particularly loving.

Seemed to me that Theon was treated better than Jon was.

Loakum

Banned
I have sympathy for Smeagol; the Ring twists people's psyche and creates a hyper-obsessive bond. Theon was just a cunt bag. He deserves everything that's happened to him. We the audience should be in Ramsay's debt for taking that rude, arrogant, backstabbing asshole, and turning him into a respectful and loyal follower.

lol

The Starks treated Theon as another son, Balon didn't seem particularly loving.

Seemed to me that Theon was treated better than Jon was.
Possibly. Really, only Catelyn was antagonistic towards Jon, they were overall really nice to him. From what I gathered, Jon and Robb were like real brothers, very similar age and Theon was Robb's best friend. He seemed to get along very well with Bran and Arya by the looks of it.

I was watching some youtube clips of season 2 and 3. I think if Robb and Arya were Tywin's kids, he would have probably been more fond of them than any of his three children.

Ovid

If Theon wasn't such a dick he wouldn't be in the situation he is in now. I think he deserves everything that happened.
Before going to the Iron Islands on behalf of Robb, can you name one dickish thing he did?

Possibly. Really, only Catelyn was antagonistic towards Jon, they were overall really nice to him. From what I gathered, Jon and Robb were like real brothers, very similar age and Theon was Robb's best friend. He seemed to get along very well with Bran and Arya by the looks of it.

I was watching some youtube clips of season 2 and 3. I think if Robb and Arya were Tywin's kids, he would have probably been more fond of them than any of his three children.
Not Arya. Tywin wants his daughter to act like a lady not like one of his sons.

Arya is way similar to Cersei in that way.

Not Arya. Tywin wants his daughter to act like a lady not like one of his sons.

Arya is way similar to Cersei in that way.
When did he say he wants his daughter to act like a lady? The only issue those two would have is to marry for power, but she's smarter and more cunning than Cersei ever could be. Cersei just lucked out of being the most powerful woman thanks to marrying the most powerful man due to her father. Take that away, and she would be wrecked at King's Landing.

Complistic

He was a dick to Jon in the very first episode by suggesting he was the 'runt' of the Starks when he said "that one's yours, Snow".

Its been forever since I watched that scene, but I remember it more light hearted than dickish. Like he wasn't going to take one at all but theon was saying, yes you're still one of the starks, you should take that odd one.

Vashetti

Banned
Is it against the rules to discuss that chapter from the very first book?

I read about 100 pages of the first book and stopped because I was enjoying the TV series too much, but I read that scene with the direwolf pups.

Loakum

Banned
I don't know...folks can forgive Jamie for trying to kill a kid, but no mercy for Theon for killing two kids? I guess it comes down on which character you're emotionally invested in. I have to admit, last weeks episode definitely won me back in the Tyrion camp. His rant was soooooo damn epic! I think I watched that episode at least 5 times now. lol

Ovid

When did he say he wants his daughter to act like a lady? The only issue those two would have is to marry for power, but she's smarter and more cunning than Cersei ever could be. Cersei just lucked out of being the most powerful woman thanks to marrying the most powerful man due to her father. Take that away, and she would be wrecked at King's Landing.
Cersei even said she wishes she were born a man. She hates playing the traditional role of a "lady".

I believe she said this in the "Blackwater" episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom