• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

promo spoilers

sounds like a spear tip would be the perfect weapon to apply a little poison to, viper gonna vipe.

Vashetti

Banned
I think whatever happens, they will do the fight justice, as this is Oberyn's big moment.

They've been building up to it all season and he's the new big character this season.

But I will stand by my earlier comment that Twyin will somehow determine the outcome.

I said the same earlier, I definitely think Tywin will do something.

There's the off chance that Tywin is happy about it though, it could get him off the Lannisters back and Tyrion dead at the same time if the mountain wins. So much that I have a feeling there's going to be something unfair about the fight, to help favor Gregor.

This is what has me worried about Tyrion's future, I'd hate to lose Oberyn as well but there isn't much of an attachment to him since he's still a pretty new character with less total screen time than Tyrion's had in single episodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I like how he's like "hang on to this old ass bread for weeks until you find Arya."
I'm guessing it is fore shadowing the return of her wolf (still alive right?), but yeah what is she going to do with some weeks old bread and how are they gonna transport it without it becoming a lumping mass.

Volimar

I'm guessing it is fore shadowing the return of her wolf (still alive right?), but yeah what is she going to do with some weeks old bread and how are they gonna transport it without it becoming a lumping mass.

If Arya's wolf is never seen again it's going to irk me to my grave.

poppabk

Great fight choreography and big battles are definitely missing from this show. Just get the guy who worked on fight choreography on Troy and lock him down.
I like the fact that they have gone for more realistic sword fighting, although it is hard to say that after a bare chested super villian massacred a bunch of armored knights, but the large scale battles have definitely been underwhelming.

MMaRsu

So I was watching The Last Action Hero again last night, and came across this awesome guy :D
Necktattoo and everything haha awesome
Benedict.jpg

Nameless

I like the fact that they have gone for more realistic sword fighting, although it is hard to say that after a bare chested super villian massacred a bunch of armored knights, but the large scale battles have definitely been underwhelming.

I don't know, like Jon, Jaime, and Loras, Ramsay grew up in a big castle. It's not unreasonable to think he's had professional training since a very young age.

Grifter

I forget my wife's read the books so when someone posts an out-there but cool-sounding theory here, I mention it to her and she tells me it came from a book reader :(

rando14

I forget my wife's read the books so when someone posts an out-there but cool-sounding theory here, I mention it to her and she tells me it came from a book reader :(

Lol why are you asking your wife to determine validity of theories if you dont want to get spoiled?

poppabk

So I was watching The Last Action Hero again last night, and came across this awesome guy :D
Benedict.jpg
Apparently he is to be murdered by Ned as he is playing banquo to Sean beans Macbeth, and will also star as Henry Herbert Asquith (a British politician) in a movie and his daughter will be played by Emilia Clark.

TimFL

Don't you DARE to insult Lord Ramsay, one of my favorite characters.

Ovid

Benedict.jpg
Yeah, Benedict.

Every time I see Tywin I think of him.

I'm surprised no one made a gif of him saying "In this world the bad guys win". Would've been perfect for the Red Wedding.

Grifter

Lol why are you asking your wife to determine validity of theories if you dont want to get spoiled?

Yeah I said I forget, sometimes it just sounds totally removed from how the show's going.

It's handy tho because she can tell me what wasn't in the book and I know I can read about the divergent paths of some characters without spoiling.

Violet_0

Banned
What? She just fondled it as a nod to the audience of what she did previously with Sansa's necklace.

eh, she was probably the one who poisoned Joffrey (that's why one of the stones went missing). I mean, someone had to, and she was the only one who touched the damn thing as far as I'm aware. Also, she pretty much admitted to being involved in the conspiracy right after the scene in which Littlefinger revealed to Sansa that he's the one who plotted the assassination (along with certain powerful friends)

Wunder

fwpf6WA.gif
PROMO SPOILERS
fwpf6WA.gif

Looks like Oberyn will be using that same strategy. In the preview he's got a long ass, spear-type weapon. Should be able to use both agility and range against the Mountain, avoiding his powerful attacks and getting shots in from a distance. Basically on some Dark Souls shit, I wouldn't be surprised to see some tactical rolling, too.

Hope he has under 25% equip load

Vashetti

Banned
eh, she was probably the one who poisoned Joffrey (that's why one of the stones went missing). I mean, someone had to, and she was the only one who touched the damn thing as far as I'm aware. Also, she pretty much admitted to being involved in the conspiracy right after the scene in which Littlefinger revealed to Sansa that he's the one who plotted the assassination

We know she was the one who poisoned Joffrey...

Hence why I said she fondled Margaery's necklace as a nod to the audience.

Ovid

eh, she was probably the one who poisoned Joffrey (that's why one of the stones went missing). I mean, someone had to, and she was the only one who touched the damn thing as far as I'm aware. Also, she pretty much admitted to being involved in the conspiracy right after the scene in which Littlefinger revealed to Sansa that he's the one who plotted the assassination (along with certain powerful friends)
Yeah, she implied involvement when she spoke to Margarey.

Curufinwe

Please read.

Let's get the thread back on track by which I mean shift the discussion back to the television show.

1) If you see something that you think is a spoiler, please don't start pointing fingers in here as it derails the thread. Send me or another mod a PM and we'll take a look.
2) General discussion of spoilers (the nature of them, the time your friend spoiled you, how you don't think the rules are fair, etc...) isn't particularly relevant and tends to take the thread in the wrong direction, so please avoid that as well.
3) Book readers should use the other thread for discussion. Read the rules in the OP carefully and keep in mind that a ban at this point might mean that you'll miss both E3 and the end of this season of Game of Thrones. From the OP:

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. Let's get back to talking about the show. Thanks.

turtle553

Doesn't it seem like trial by combat should be the default choice with the little bit we've seen how the Westeros justice system works?

I don't see many people ever being found not guilty and at least combat gives you a fighting chance.

Dennis

Banned
fwpf6WA.gif
PROMO SPOILERS
fwpf6WA.gif

Looks like Oberyn will be using that same strategy. In the preview he's got a long ass, spear-type weapon. Should be able to use both agility and range against the Mountain, avoiding his powerful attacks and getting shots in from a distance. Basically on some Dark Souls shit, I wouldn't be surprised to see some tactical rolling, too.

If Oberyn does a barrel roll I am going to bust a gut laughing.

Ferrio

Banned
Doesn't it seem like trial by combat should be the default choice with the little bit we've seen how the Westeros justice system works?

I don't see many people ever being found not guilty and at least combat gives you a fighting chance.

Because there's a 99% chance you'd lose to a very painful and maybe prolonged death. The wall would be a much better choice.

Also

Ovid

Unofficial tips and guide on how to minimize risk of book spoilers.

Extreme measures/scorched earth/spoiler paranoia/insanity

-Do not even access this thread. Avoid it altogether.
There will be the occasional "HAY BROS, ROBB DIES TONIGHT" guy. The mods will usually black bag him immediately. Pretty rare, but still a danger if you're that paranoid about spoilers.

-Access to the internet is cutoff between episodes. Contact your local service provider to set up arrangements.
-Block all websites other than HBOGO
-Move into the mountains. Only come down to view the latest episode.
Insanity indeed lol.

The only thing I do is avoid YouTube comments (even in unrelated videos).

Avoid Twitter the day of the show and the day after.

I also NEVER search names. That's just asking for trouble.

Nameless

Insanity indeed lol.

The only thing I do is avoid YouTube comments (even in unrelated videos).

Avoid Twitter the day of the show and the day after.

I also NEVER search names. That's just asking for trouble.

Google auto complete is pretty dangerous too when you're just searching for a gif or actor info and you see "death" after the character's name. You can't be sure if they really die, or if people wondering if they die in books created the query, but I just look down when typing anything Got related into Google.

G-Bus

Banned

Really feel like predictions shouldn't be allowed in here. I've read a few over the weeks and they seem to be true more often then not.

Not sure why book readers feel the need to spoil it for everyone else and mask it as a prediction. Starting to feel like not coming to this thread but I really enjoy peoples thoughts on episodes that have aired.

JesseZao

Really feel like predictions shouldn't be allowed in here. I've read a few over the weeks and they seem to be true more often then not.

Not sure why book readers feel the need to spoil it for everyone else and mask it as a prediction. Starting to feel like not coming to this thread but I really enjoy peoples thoughts on episodes that have aired.

Sneaky speculation does ride a fine line. Not sure how you'd be able to ban it without killing the natural discussion show watchers would have after an episode, though.

Nameless

Speculation isn't too bad. Looking back, yeah, the some of the stuff with Olenna was fishy given how quick those theories hit, but I feel like just with the nature of the internet and how people tear apart each scene, non -book readers would have put the pieces together regardless with that one.

The Oberyn vs Mountain fight was spoiled pretty blatantly by the pre-season trailers so you can't blame book readers for that one.

Overall the this thread has been about as safe as it gets.

Curufinwe

You're just assuming that any accurate prediction must have come from a book reader. If you have a specific complaint about a poster, PM a mod. It would pretty easy for them to check if someone is also posting in the other thread which allows book spoilers.

Both the fact the a king was slain and the accuser is Queen Regent give cause for the case to fall under the crown's purview. For Cersei someone she despises killed her son, it's beyond personal. But Tywin is just exploiting the entire thing by allowing it to through official channels.

He knows full well Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. However putting him trial got Cersei to agree to wed Loras, in hopes it would convince him to kill her brother. It got Jaime to agree to assume his duties as heir of Casterly Rock in hopes it would convince him to save his brother. It gives closure to Joffrey's murder, so that Tommen doesn't have it hanging over his reign. And of course it gets rid of Tyrion, who Tywin sees as an embarrassment to the family and one of the few people smart enough to get in his way. Pretty brilliant, actually. If all had gone according to plan he would have gotten everything he wanted and would be free to rule the realm with his hand up Tommen's ass.

Actually, even the current outcome is kinda along his plans, no? He told Oberyn that a "meeting" with The Mountain can be arranged. If Oberyn wins, he will probably have the full support of Dorne? (unless in the end, Oberyn really just wants to kill Tywin so getting The Mountain on a silver platter doesn't matter to him)

Nameless

Actually, even the current outcome is kinda along his plans, no? He told Oberyn that a "meeting" with The Mountain can be arranged. If Oberyn wins, he will probably have the full support of Dorne? (unless in the end, Oberyn really just wants to kill Tywin so getting The Mountain on a silver platter doesn't matter to him)

That's a good point. The one potential draw back of Oberyn winning is I doubt Cersei will be as amenable about marrying Loras if Tyrion gets off scot-free.

Speculation isn't too bad. Looking back, yeah, the some of the stuff with Olenna was fishy given how quick those theories hit, but I feel like just with the nature of the internet and how people tear apart each scene, non -book readers would have put the pieces together regardless with that one.

The Oberyn vs Mountain fight was spoiled pretty blatantly by the pre-season trailers so you can't blame book readers for that one.

Overall the this thread has been about as safe as it gets.
I was avoiding season promos all year long, only to have Oberyn v Mountain fight spoiled by someone posting the pics from the promo here. I was incensed. Based Cornballer removed the offending post in seconds, but the damage was done :(

Ovid

Google auto complete is pretty dangerous too when you're just searching for a gif or actor info and you see "death" after the character's name. You can't be sure if they really die, or if people wondering if they die in books created the query, but I just look down when typing anything Got related into Google.
I remember searching names during Season 1 (2011) and had zero issues.

Searching GoT stuff on the Internet was safer back then.

Gintamen

I was avoiding season promos all year long, only to have Oberyn v Mountain fight spoiled by someone posting the pics from the promo here. I was incensed. Based Cornballer removed the offending post in seconds, but the damage was done :(
It's idiotic to believe that promos aren't avoided at all costs by a huge numbers of viewers.Someone spoiled it right after the trial scene in here though, damn you certain somebody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom