• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why isn't there an episode next week?

Seems like a tremendous dick move to have a week delay right now, especially with how eager some people are on the internet to spoil the outcome of the fight.

Ferrio

Banned

Seems like a tremendous dick move to have a week delay right now, especially with how eager some people are on the internet to spoil the outcome of the fight.

Memorial day weekend, big holiday in the US and it's a dramatic ratings decrease to show it during that weekend.

The last episode that was aired on Memorial Day was the Blackwater episode, and it resulted in a large viewer drop-off. HBO wants to avoid that happening again.

I told my friends the same thing I always tell them when GoT is airing: avoid comments sections. If you play video games turn chat off lol.

justjohn

I know its been said lots of times but i really don't like this new mountain. absolutely nothing menacing about him.

i suppose he's better than the even awful second one but what happened to the first one? he really was perfect.

Peagles

In all honesty Oberyn/Mountain was "spoiled" for me by unmarked episode names listed in the OP. I mean sure it was in a preview too, but the episode name has been there for like, ever.

Anyway this is my last post in this thread as I've started to read the books. I will still read this thread but don't trust myself to post because I'm already getting starting to get mixed up between the two. Good luck and have fun all, it's been a nice thread to chill in. Well done on being the least spoilery place on the interwebs!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I know its been said lots of times but i really don't like this new mountain. absolutely nothing menacing about him.

i suppose he's better than the even awful second one but what happened to the first one? he really was perfect.

He had to go play some monster on the Hobbit instead. Lame.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A guy I know from NZ who works on various TV and movie production sets (worked on Spartacus, LotR and the Hobbit) had this to say about Conan Stevens:

Having worked with the original "Mountain" actor before, I am pretty sure I know why they recast him...

I asked him to elaborate, but he hasn't replied yet. :S Maybe they just had lots of trouble working with the actor?

Memorial day weekend, big holiday in the US and it's a dramatic ratings decrease to show it during that weekend.

The last episode that was aired on Memorial Day was the Blackwater episode, and it resulted in a large viewer drop-off. HBO wants to avoid that happening again.

I told my friends the same thing I always tell them when GoT is airing: avoid comments sections. If you play video games turn chat off lol.

Thanks. I guess it's understandable wanting to delay it a week with that in mind, still doesn't make it any less annoying though.

And yeah, I've pretty much stopped visiting YT and other sites without moderated posting. I feel GAF is probably the safest place to post/read for the next couple of weeks.

Do you guys think Little Finger's speech about his ideal world where "love conquers all" is more double talk to get into Sansa's head or a true insight into his motivations?

Sansa: "Why did you really kill Joffrey?"

*awkward pause*

LF: "I loved your mother love triumphs all"

So his real motivation for killing Joffrey was for Cat's death? So why not poison Tywin, who was chiefly responsible?

Why does Tywin not seem to care about finding Joffrey's real killer?!!

auuggh so many questions

Do you guys think Little Finger's speech about his ideal world where "love conquers all" is more double talk to get into Sansa's head or a true insight into his motivations?

Sansa: "Why did you really kill Joffrey?"

*awkward pause*

LF: "I loved your mother love triumphs all"

So his real motivation for killing Joffrey was for Cat's death? So why not poison Tywin, who was chiefly responsible?

Why does Tywin not seem to care about finding Joffrey's real killer?!!

auuggh so many questions

I think Tywin was in on it with Lil Finger and the Lady Olena. He's a smart guy and he knew Joffrey would bring down his family one way or another. He also knew Tommen was next in line and easily manipulated(which he started doing immediately). He is using the trial as a way to get Jaime to take his place at the Rock.

Curufinwe

If Tywin suspects Olenna he can't really pursue it because the Tyrells are too valuable as allies. Also, everyone but Cersei is kind of glad Joffrey's dead.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Baelish seeks only power and influence. He's just giving Cat lipservice.

Yep. He's using Sansa just as he uses everyone around him to his advantage. He's telling her want she wants to hear (he assassinated Joffrey as vengeance for her mother, not power or wealth). That's not to say he didn't really have feelings for Cat, and maybe Sansa by extension, but Pete's in it for himself. He gains your trust then fucks you.

Nameless

I was avoiding season promos all year long, only to have Oberyn v Mountain fight spoiled by someone posting the pics from the promo here. I was incensed. Based Cornballer removed the offending post in seconds, but the damage was done :(

It's strange. Not sure why some people feel the need to stand up and let everyone know that they know stuff. Are there internet points being given out or something?

I remember searching names during Season 1 (2011) and had zero issues.

Searching GoT stuff on the Internet was safer back then.

I'm so thankful Ned's death wasn't spoiled for me. For me that was one of the most shocking moments in any show, and when Game of Thrones really became game of Thrones.

I understand that's their reason, but it really is a dumb one. It's not like they're worried about ad revenue, and with services like HBO On-demand and HBO Go it requires no effort for those who don't watch due to the holiday to catch up.

The one god damn Sunday not stained by the fact I have to work the next morning there's no Thrones. Horse shit

Vashetti

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy, but after the episodes so far this season, I'm convinced that Baelish does care for Sansa and she would be the last person he would throw to the dogs at this point.

Not to say he isn't a greasy slimeball, but he seems to genuinely care about her wellbeing, and he seems intent on educating on her on how to manipulate the game of thrones.

Maybe I'm crazy, but after the episodes so far this season, I'm convinced that Baelish does care for Sansa and she would be the last person he would throw to the dogs at this point.

Not to say he isn't a greasy slimeball, but he seems to genuinely care about her wellbeing, and he seems intent on educating on her on how to manipulate the game of thrones.

He put her in a pretty fucking dangerous situation, basically kidnapped her and then tried to make out with her, and I'm pretty sure she's like 15.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I agree, she is the last person he would throw to the dogs at this point. But he would still throw her to the dogs if he had enough to gain from it.

Vashetti

Banned
After rewatching the Lysa death scene again, Sansa now knows that Lysa and Baelish killed Jon Arryn too.

She's just accumulating dirt on everybody.

Nameless

It's not even an age of consent, it's a gender of consent. Are you a man? Do you consent? go for it!

#theyhurtlittlegirlseverywhere

I thought it was the 'first bleed'?

I'm pretty sure that if a girls gets her period she becomes a woman and it's "fine". After all, teenagers are an invention of our society.

EDIT: beaten, I'm so slow!

They become most valuable once they have their period and are able to bear children, certainly. But I don't think most of the world is morally averse to sleeping with girls before. Except maybe in Dorne. Things sound incredibly progressive there.

Yeah back in the day people were getting married and being kings and queens at 14 and 15.

Also, life expectancy would be a lot shorter. You'd be lucky to make it to 45.

And infant mortality rates would be super high, so baby making would be a high priority.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I think she is his prize, scarface style. He doesn't just want power he wants to exert it over the people who had physical power and used it, as he sees it, against him. Chief among those was Ned, who stole catelyn from him by being a strong warrior. His victory over Ned is now complete, he got Ned killed and is now seducing his daughter.

Sendero

Fair warning: In the HBO videos of this last week, GRR Martin himself explains exactly how Little Finger sees Sansa (and hence, that part of his motivation), so do not look if you want to keep that "mysticism" on him.

I mean, anyone that put some thought would reach to the same conclusion, but I honestly was a bit annoyed that was layered out so clearly.

Is it just me or did her nips seem way too high on her boobs?
She was just happy to see Selyse.

Nameless

I think he's sees Sansa as a more beautiful version of the girl he's been in love/obsessed with since childhood. His love for Cat is just about the only genuine thing about the guy. You could hear the passion in his voice when he Sansa asked him why he killed Joffrey. It was a power play, but he also took Catelyn's murder personally.

Volimar

I think he's sees Sansa as a more beautiful version of the girl he's been in love/obsessed with since childhood. His love for Cat is just about the only genuine thing about the guy. You could hear the passion in his voice when he Sansa asked him why he killed Joffrey. It was a power play, but he also took Catelyn's murder personally.

Makes him an even bigger asshole for betraying Ned Stark though. Makes it look personal in hindsight.

Baelish seeks only power and influence. He's just giving Cat lipservice.

Yep. He's using Sansa just as he uses everyone around him to his advantage. He's telling her want she wants to hear (he assassinated Joffrey as vengeance for her mother, not power or wealth). That's not to say he didn't really have feelings for Cat, and maybe Sansa by extension, but Pete's in it for himself. He gains your trust then fucks you.
It was for both to me. His feelings for Cat seem genuene and I wouldn't doubt he has some attachment to Sansa in some way. Not love but lust is certainly a possibility. She looked really stunning with her red hair when it was snowing. Part revenge and the other for himself. If someone else doesn't kill Tywin, you know he's gunning for his head, Roose Bolton, and that Harry Potter cunt janitor.

I don't think you are, or we're both crazy. If anyone is protected by Littlefinger, it's Sansa and not just for "power of the North!!1"

After rewatching the Lysa death scene again, Sansa now knows that Lysa and Baelish killed Jon Arryn too.
Does she know for sure? I thought her aunt just said I killed for you without specifying.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Apparently he is to be murdered by Ned as he is playing banquo to Sean beans Macbeth, and will also star as Henry Herbert Asquith (a British politician) in a movie and his daughter will be played by Emilia Clark.
Jesus, Sean Bean really does die in everything.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Jesus, Sean Bean really does die in everything.

Dude, spoilers wtf :p

I really don't know how the trial will go.
I can't see Oberyn getting beat as that means him and tyrion will be written off in favour of keeping that brute (unless tyrion can still plead mercy and go to the wall?) but then the mountain getting beat just outright doesn't make much sense either. What will Tyrion do? He'll be disowned and hated by everyone and Cersei will almost definitely have him killed pretty quick so whats his story from there?

edit; Yeah that scene majorly soured me on Bronn. Shouldn't have been surprised at that course of action given how him and tyrion met in the first place but it did seem quite brutal

Vashetti

Banned

• He was bought out by Cersei (i.e. not as much a friend to Tyrion as we thought)
  • Hadn't come to see Tyrion at all prior to this meeting, or seemingly made no attempts to either
  • Alluded to murdering his future wife's sister in the future so that he could rule a castle
  • Had no interest in fighting for his so-called "friend" (though against the Mountain, that's somewhat reasonable)

• He was bought out by Cersei (i.e. not as much a friend to Tyrion as we thought)
  • Hadn't come to see Tyrion at all prior to this meeting, or seemingly made no attempts to either
  • Alluded to murdering his future wife's sister in the future so that he could rule a castle
  • Had no interest in fighting for his so-called "friend" (though against the Mountain, that's somewhat reasonable)

So basically for being Bron lol.

Tyrion said it best. "That's why I liked you in the first place."

If you paid any attention to the scene, you would have seen that the real reason Bronn doesn't want to fight for Tyrion is that he does not want to die. He doesn't believe he can win against The Mountain. That scene cemented the fact that they were not just parties of a contract, but friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom