• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

• He was bought out by Cersei (i.e. not as much a friend to Tyrion as we thought)
  • Hadn't come to see Tyrion at all prior to this meeting, or seemingly made no attempts to either
  • Alluded to murdering his future wife's sister in the future so that he could rule a castle
  • Had no interest in fighting for his so-called "friend" (though against the Mountain, that's somewhat reasonable)

-Bronn never hid his loyalty to money and his own self interest. He's a sell-sword, his allegiance is to the highest bidder.

-He was under investigation, it wouldn't have been a good idea. Still, he convinced Jaime to visit Tyrion and saw Pod off in Tyrion's place.

-When you play the game of castles you win or you die.

-
412be53ed53a4904c9151ec0ca749e89.gif

• He was bought out by Cersei (i.e. not as much a friend to Tyrion as we thought)
  • Hadn't come to see Tyrion at all prior to this meeting, or seemingly made no attempts to either
Even though he was bought out by Cersei, he did stay true to his word and offered Tyrion a chance to double the offer. Tyrion simply couldn't.

Even though he didn't see Tyrion right away, he did convince Jaime to go see him.

I think those count for something.

• Alluded to murdering his future wife's sister in the future so that he could rule a castle
  • Had no interest in fighting for his so-called "friend" (though against the Mountain, that's somewhat reasonable)

He said it best. Would Tyrion ever risk his life for Bronn? The answer is fuck no.

-Bronn never hid his loyalty to money and his own self interest. He's a sell-sword, his allegiance is to the highest bidder.
I don't think Bronn is thinking this through. Like a true sellsword gold has blinded him. I highly doubt Cersei is going to let Bronn lord over a castle. She will have his head on a pike within fortnight.

Couldn't Jaime just break Tyrion out?

As if Tywin is going to do anything to Jaime.

Well Jamie isn't that powerful now that's he handicap. What if he does break Tyrion out, and all the guards start to chase them? I don't think Jaime can protect Tyrion with 30 dudes swinging for his head.

Nameless

I don't think Bronn is thinking this through. Like a true sellsword gold has blinded him. I highly doubt Cersei is going to let Bronn lord over a castle. She will have his head on a pike within fortnight.

Maybe. Very little would shock me from Cersei at tgis point. Bronn would be more useful in her back pocket, though.

I do wonder if Cersei's gold would hold the same sway with Bronn if, say, Ser Meryn was her champion instead.

Sendero

If you paid any attention to the scene, you would have seen that the real reason Bronn doesn't want to fight for Tyrion is that he does not want to die. He doesn't believe he can win against The Mountain. That scene cemented the fact that they were not just parties of a contract, but friends.
Couldn't have it said it better. He did accept Cercei's blatant bribe, yet he actually went to talk to Tyrion, and gave him the opportunity to convince him. He didn't need to do either.

And the arguments he gave against him fighting The Mountain were flawless.
He pretty much said (without saying), that he would do anything for Tyrion, as long as it didn't involve throwing his life in such way. Incidentally, the same case than Jaime - his closest relative.

If Bronn knew that his chances of winning the combat were higher, he likely would have fought for him, money or not. Coming from a sellsword, that's pretty much the highest display of Bros'ness you can get.

Vashetti

Banned
Hey, where did you find the screen cap for your avatar? There was a shot of Queen Melisandre that I want to use from this episode.

It was one of the official promo shots for the latest episode, I found it on WinterisComing.net

I didn't see any Mel shots sorry.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Bronn's statement that he liked Tyrion, but he liked himself more, is a good enough explanation for me considering his background. Bronn was never about laying his life down for others. Dude like money, pussy, and living.

leng jai

All I'm saying is that scene soured my opinion of Bronn. No need to jump down my throat.

All we're saying is that that scene very astutely explained Bronn's motivation and reasoning behind his decision. It shouldn't have soured your opinion of him at all because it's still consistent with his character.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Couldn't have it said it better. He did accept Cercei's blatant bribe, yet he actually went to talk to Tyrion, and gave him the opportunity to convince him. He didn't need to do either.

And the arguments he gave against him fighting The Mountain were flawless.
He pretty much said (without saying), that he would do anything for Tyrion, as long as it didn't involve throwing his life in such way. Incidentally, the same case than Jaime - his closest relative.

If Bronn knew that his chances of winning the combat were higher, he likely would have fought for him, money or not. Coming from a sellsword, that's pretty much the highest display of Bros'ness you can get.

Exactly. Bronn gave Tyrion every chance, he was looking for an excuse to fight for him. Some way that he could justify not taking the deal he had been given. Watching that scene I am positive that he wanted to do it, he wants to help his friend, but he can't justify taking the risk. Not against The Mountain. Had Cercei chosen anyone else it's clear he would have done it.

I do think if Oberyn loses than Bronn will try to bust Tyrion out of jail the night before his execution.

Bronn's statement that he liked Tyrion, but he liked himself more, is a good enough explanation for me considering his background. Bronn was never about laying his life down for others. Dude like money, pussy, and living.

But he would have done it if it weren't such a risk or if Tyrion had ever done anything similar.

That's what's great about Bronn. Sure he's a sell sword, but he's also loyal and a good friend.

No one would willingly take on The Mountain without a damn good reason. Not Jamie, not Bronn, no one. Oberyn is the one guy in the series who could possibly take him and has a damn good reason to fight him.

Sendero

I do think if Oberyn loses than Bronn will try to bust Tyrion out of jail the night before his execution.
Yeah, I'm guessing that the Oberyn/Mountain fight (regardless of the result) will be just be the beginning of larger series of events.

And who knows? Perhaps his ex-friends will still have something else to say (just like Twyin and Cercei).
BTW, this is only speculation on my side. (for those that are fearful of spoilers)

Heshinsi

Exactly. Bronn gave Tyrion every chance, he was looking for an excuse to fight for him. Some way that he could justify not taking the deal he had been given. Watching that scene I am positive that he wanted to do it, he wants to help his friend, but he can't justify taking the risk. Not against The Mountain. Had Cercei chosen anyone else it's clear he would have done it.

But he would have done it if it weren't such a risk or if Tyrion had ever done anything similar.

That's what's great about Bronn. Sure he's a sell sword, but he's also loyal and a good friend.

No one would willingly take on The Mountain without a damn good reason. Not Jamie, not Bronn, no one. Oberyn is the one guy in the series who could possibly take him and has a damn good reason to fight him.

That's what I mean. He would do it if he's confident he could win. He's not about defying the odds or anything like that. Bronn is a straight up realist. If Cersei's champion had been one of the lame Kings guard knights, Bronn probably would have championed for him.

Speaking of Bronn, why didn't Tyrion question him about Shay? Wasn't he the last one to see that she took off on a boat away from King's Landing?

Yeah, I kept thinking about that. I was thinking that maybe Bronn had been helping Cersei from the beginning, but then again, Joffrey had not been killed yet when Tyrion sent Shae away.

Heshinsi

Yeah, I kept thinking about that. I was thinking that maybe Bronn had been helping Cersei from the beginning, but then again, Joffrey had not been killed yet when Tyrion sent Shae away.

He sends her away after the scene where Cersei tells her father, "there she is, the one I was telling you about." Tywin then orders that she be brought to him. Perhaps the Lannisters got to Bronn at that point.

in an interview with the director(of the trial episode) I think, this is answered(well he heavily implies that this is the answer)

Shae got caught because Tywin ordered the lockdown when Joffrey died and her ship got intercepted

Javaman

I'm kinda bummed about the image they chose for the mountain. Like someone else said, he looks more like a giant teddy bear. I don't know if it's eyes or scrunched brow, youthful appearance or what, but he just doesn't have the look of a vicious killer like the previous ones do. They could have added some battle scars to his face or something or at least artificially aged him with makeup.

pgwqaup.jpg

S1 (Evil looking fucker)

Vp0TtQT.png

S2/S3 (Evil but inquisitive)

1ozYmpc.jpg

S4 (Teddy Bear)

He just doesn't look like the Hounds big mean older brother who put his face to the fire and caused traumatic emotional and physical scarring to one of the scariest dude's on the show. Looks more like a lil brother. They definitely should have aged him. The voice is great though "who am I fighting?" sounded bad ass coming from him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The main problem is that he's nearly twenty years younger than the actor playing Sandor, who is supposed to be his lil bro, lol.

Maddocks

that season 2 mountain. He looked like a guy trying to cosplay the mountain. So bad.

Now he looks imposing and would bring pain to everyone.

Watevaman

Season 1 Mountain definitely is my fav. I just watched the docu on the new Mountain guy and he seems like an awesome guy, but I don't think he fits right.

pringles

The scene with Sansa in the snow was beautiful. That music.

Also the Bronn and Oberyn scenes in Tyrion's cell, both were masterful and gave great insight into the characters. This season is kicking ass so far, unless they completely drop the ball in the last couple of episodes it should rank as the best season yet.

Yeah, definitly best season if we look at episodes 1-7 of each one.

And I don't think they're going drop the ball. I smell the best last 3 episodes yet. (didn't read the books, I just feel it)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
May I ask why?

I just didn't like him since he was introduced, the way he talk/walk, the actor; and then at the trial next to those he wanted to kill he looked like he was having fun. Now we know that may had been part of his plan so he can take a name of his killing list and so I dislike him a little less, plus that scene with Tyrion was awesome on his part (actor and script).

Larrydavid.gif

He'll probably only be around for an episode anyway. You'd think I would have learned my lesson with this show, but I don't picture Oberyn losing this.

There was a discussion about plot armour recently, but I really do think Tyrion might have it. Killing off Robb and Cat Stark, Ned, Robert Baratheon (slightly different situation but he's still dead), Khal Drogo, Viscerys, Joffrey - I'm trying to think of others that died... made sense with how the story has moved on since, particularly later with Catt and Robb - they had gone back on their word to Frey and the Lannisters wanted them dead because they were in the middle of a war and done various other things against the Lannisters - like imprison Jamie and Tyrion.

Who actually gains from Tyrion's death apart from Cercei? The Lannisters are basically at war with each other anyway, they have no money to rebay the iron bank, from a story point of view all it adds to that is Jamie being mega pissed off which I think he will be by the time the trial is over anyway. Of course I could be forgetting something but generally, I don't think Tyrion dying would be nearly as important to the future of the story as him living.

Its not like he actually killed Joffrey, it doesn't suit Tywin either because if Tyrion dies Jamie will never forgive him and lets not forget Jamie is the father of all of Cercei's children. If he goes mental and says something he could send the entire throne into chaos and Tywin wants him to be his heir back at the rock. Oberyn could lose, but neither he nor Tyrion died I guess? Although I do think Oberyn will win and kill The Mountain for what its worth. Jamie holds a shit load of power and doesn't want his brother to die. I doubt it would happen of course, but as I said Jamie has a lot more power here than anyone can realise, Tywin needs him and Cercei loves him too.

Cercei can go mental I guess, she's a stupid cow (well acted!) but I dislike the character. It would be bigger to the story if she got herself killed.

Too much speculation in that I guess but, I think Tyrion will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom