• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I just didn't like him since he was introduced, the way he talk/walk, the actor; and then at the trial next to those he wanted to kill he looked like he was having fun. Now we know that may had been part of his plan so he can take a name of his killing list and so I dislike him a little less, plus that scene with Tyrion was awesome on his part (actor and script).

I don't think he was having fun at the trial, more like he was the only person there that saw through the farce that it was. It was a kangaroo court and the Prince knew it.

I just didn't like him since he was introduced, the way he talk/walk, the actor; and then at the trial next to those he wanted to kill he looked like he was having fun. Now we know that may had been part of his plan so he can take a name of his killing list and so I dislike him a little less, plus that scene with Tyrion was awesome on his part (actor and script).
His enemy family was infighting over one of their own murdering another of their own. He's having fun watching the world burn.

zugzug

so disappointed in Tywin Lannister, everything about him was smarter than allowing his selfish daughter getting her way. Tywin you disappoint me.

Tyrion that look in his face when the man from Dorn(can't think of his name) said he would be his champion was so good.

Kvik

I imagine the fight will go down much like Geralt vs. Letho in TW2.

(Geralt also called Letho mountain of meat, much like The Mountain)

tumblr_mixrkvuLlT1r7i5gpo1_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mixrkvuLlT1r7i5gpo2_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mixrkvuLlT1r7i5gpo3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mixrkvuLlT1r7i5gpo4_r1_250.gif

Only my pipe dream however, judging from Ned Stark vs Jamie and Beric Dondarrion vs The Hound, the swordfight choreography of GoT leaves a lot to be desired. :-\

so disappointed in Tywin Lannister, everything about him was smarter than allowing his selfish daughter getting her way. Tywin you disappoint me.

Tyrion that look in his face when the man from Dorn(can't think of his name) said he would be his champion was so good.
Tywin uses his intelligence for all the wrong things, which is just as bad as being an ignorant moron.

He thought he'd have Joffrey in his back pocket, but he couldn't control him. Now he's letting his daughter's vindictive ways drive a wedge into his family that will most likely be irreparable.

Jamie will leave the Kingsguard, marries and the family line continues.

Tyrion gets shipped off to the Wall and never seen again.

Sounds like Tywin is getting exactly what he wants rather than him being manipulated by Cersei. I'm expecting that we'll see more of Tyrion next season so it'll be interesting to see if Jamie will keep his word since the terms of the bargain has changed.

People calling Tywin dumb. What the fuck am I reading, and what show are you guys watching? Unless Tywin has the ability the control minds, he's done exceptionally well in terms of getting what he wants. There's just too many variables happening at once, and they're all going against him.

Radec

People calling Tywin dumb. What the fuck am I reading, and what show are you guys watching? Unless Tywin has the ability the control minds, he's done exceptionally well in terms of getting what he wants. There's just too many variables happening at once, and they're all going against him.

Yep.
He's the smartest character in the show right now.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hyped with anticipation for the upcoming fight. Oberyn should be a formidable opponent for The Cuddle Mountain. The conversation between Tyrion and Bronne was great, one of the highlights of the series IMHO. I'll be sad to see Bronne go, it's an awesome and honest character, but his time in Westeros is done.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Only my pipe dream however, judging from Ned Stark vs Jamie and Beric Dondarrion vs The Hound, the swordfight choreography of GoT leaves a lot to be desired. :-\

it's still better than that ballet of whatever that's supposed to be in those gifs.

Jamie will leave the Kingsguard, marries and the family line continues.

Tyrion gets shipped off to the Wall and never seen again.

Sounds like Tywin is getting exactly what he wants rather than him being manipulated by Cersei. I'm expecting that we'll see more of Tyrion next season so it'll be interesting to see if Jamie will keep his word since the terms of the bargain has changed.
None of that is happening now...

He let his insane grandson run rampant over an entire nation, tried to leverage the jealousy of his unhinged daughter to further his own means and failed, his family is deep in debt, and he's placed Oberyn, a man who has vowed to destroy his family, within striking distance of himself and everyone he "loves".

He's acting like a dolt.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
What I don't get about Bron is that he straight up refused to be Tyrion's champion against The Mountain, yet he had no problem picking a fight against the Hound in Season 2 right before Blackwater. I guess he really is getting old.

He let his insane grandson run rampant over an entire nation, tried to leverage the jealousy of his unhinged daughter to further his own means and failed, his family is deep in debt, and he's placed Oberyn, a man who has vowed to destroy his family, within striking distance of himself and everyone he "loves".

He's acting like a dolt.
Let his insane grandson run rampant? You mean the King, whose completely bat shit crazy and could have gotten Tywin killed if he tried to undermine him too much? Tywin still did whatever he wanted and when he wanted, and it's pretty clear that Joffrey can't be controlled 100%. Explain to me again how it's his fault that his family is in debt when the gold's run out?

The only mistake I think he did is put Oberyn on the Council, though it's completely understandable why he did it. It's easy to talk about him doing the right things when you get the perspective of every single character in the show while he doesn't have that luxury. I really have no idea what you're on about to be honest, he's blatantly one of the most intelligent characters in the series. His plan before Tyrion shit on it was brilliant, esp considering how quickly he thought of it after the King's death.

Alpende

What I don't get about Bron is that he straight up refused to be Tyrion's champion against The Mountain, yet he had no problem picking a fight against the Hound in Season 2 right before Blackwater. I guess he really is getting old.

Well I think Bronn and the Hound are equal to each other. The Mountain is in another league. I can't blame Bronn, he's got something to live for now. Before he was just a sell sword.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Tywin believes in the age-old rule of keeping your friends close but your enemies closer.

rocK`

Banned

Sometimes I wonder whether we watch the same show or not. Bron clearly said now that he has money and prospects his life is more meaningful...

Well I think Bronn and the Hound are equal to each other. The Mountain is in another league. I can't blame Bronn, he's got something to live for now. Before he was just a sell sword.

I don't think so.

I read somewhere that Gregor and Sandor are equal in strength but Sandor is faster.

Spoiler'd just in case.

Loakum

Banned
By FAR Varys and Tywin are the most intelligent characters on Game of Thrones. It's gonna be such a long wait until (episode 8) when Oberyn and The Mountain fight. I guess I'll start watching seasons 1 - 3 on BluRay, and the 7 episodes of season 4 on DVR, to pass the time.

I don't think so.

I read somewhere that Gregor and Sandor are equal in strength but Sandor is faster.

Spoiler'd just in case.

Seems rather unlikely to me.

I mean, the dude single-handedly wields a zweihander… And it's said he's incredibly faster for his size.

Gregor Clegane is kinda like the ultimate warrior as far as a melee goes.

Let his insane grandson run rampant? You mean the King, whose completely bat shit crazy and could have gotten Tywin killed if he tried to undermine him too much? Tywin still did whatever he wanted and when he wanted, and it's pretty clear that Joffrey can't be controlled 100%. Explain to me again how it's his fault that his family is in debt when the gold's run out?

The only mistake I think he did is put Oberyn on the Council, though it's completely understandable why he did it. It's easy to talk about him doing the right things when you get the perspective of every single character in the show while he doesn't have that luxury. I really have no idea what you're on about to be honest, he's blatantly one of the most intelligent characters in the series. His plan before Tyrion shit on it was brilliant, esp considering how quickly he thought of it after the King's death.
When Joffrey first took the throne, it was quite clear that Tywin thought he had a free ride to rule from the shadows, but as Joffrey's malevolence grew, his influence waned substantially. He did not do "whatever he wanted".

And of course it's his fault that they're broke, especially since the mines ran dry three years ago and yet he didn't feel it necessary to inform anyone else in his family about this situation. He obviously had no contingency other than to rely on other people's wealth and the fact that his family would still be in power. He abhors his alliance with the Martells, and only made it because there is no one else he can turn to. And it's quite telling that Margaery was able to have more sway over Joffrey during their brief time together, as opposed to his own family. And that's another thing Tywin failed at. While Olenna and Margaery realized that it might be prudent to have your subjects actually like you, Tywin made no effort to better the perception of his family with the commoners.

RE: Oberyn, and "knowing everyone's thoughts", you could use that excuse to back any decision any character makes. But it's obvious that Tywin is fully aware of the hatred Oberyn has for his family, and yet he thinks he's being wise by keeping his enemies close. This will probably not work out well.

And speaking of Tyrion, Tywin was also quite foolish to think that Tyrion would just roll over and take this little scheme laying down. He has no idea who his son is.

But if you read my first post, I don't think Tywin is unintelligent, I think he is focusing on all the wrong things. All the smarts in the world won't save you if let your machinations get the better of you, which is currently happening to him. I do welcome a rebuttal to this post if you wish to keep discussing it, but I have to go to sleep now, so please don't take my lack of response after this post as a sign of disinterest. I could talk about this kinda stuff for hours. I'm sure someone else can pick up the torch though.

zugzug

Everything before this season Tywin was the one of the smart people.

He spent the entire life of Tyrion keeping Tyrion alive and not letting anyone kill him, along with Jaime. Tywin had the smarts to send Tyrion to King's Landing to keep Joffery in check and keep King's Landing under under Lannister control. Season 1 and 2 Tywin was smart as fuck, Season 3 Tywin has decided its time to kill the smart level headed people around him or send them away. Season 3 Tywin is utter fucking shit stupid badly written new(?) writers of the show changed him into a dunce since he arrived at King's Landing.

Tyrion was making KIng's Landing a money maker but now that clearly is not a viable storyline anymore so lets all forget what Tyrion has done. Shitty

Just like it was fucking shit utter stupid to show the mountain killing those prisoners. when clearly they were more useful elsewhere. Such a grandiose show how stupid Season 3 Lannisters are. but clearly we can all argue this paragraph.

Seems rather unlikely to me.

I mean, the dude single-handedly wields a zweihander… And it's said he's incredibly faster for his size.

Gregor Clegane is kinda like the ultimate warrior as far as a melee goes.

From what I've read, Sandor is just as capable as Gregor in battle. Do you remember that scene where Sandor chops that guy in half through his armour in the battle of the Blackwater? He's not one to be taken lightly. A fight to the death between those two would be one of the best fights I can imagine.

When Joffrey first took the throne, it was quite clear that Tywin thought he had a free ride to rule from the shadows, but as Joffrey's malevolence grew, his influence waned substantially. He did not do "whatever he wanted".
What exactly did Joffrey stop Tywin from doing? The guy even moved the Coucil meetings near his room away from the King, he didn't really care.

And of course it's his fault that they're broke, especially since the mines ran dry three years ago and yet he didn't feel it necessary to inform anyone else in his family about this situation. He obviously had no contingency other than to rely on other people's wealth and the fact that his family would still be in power. He abhors his alliance with the Martells, and only made it because there is no one else he can turn to. And it's quite telling that Margaery was able to have more sway over Joffrey during their brief time together, as opposed to his own family. And that's another thing Tywin failed at. While Olenna and Margaery realized that it might be prudent to have your subjects actually like you, Tywin made no effort to better the perception of his family with the commoners.
Whose he going to notify? The golden son who is a knight and doesn't really care for continuing the family's legacy? Or maybe the little brother who throws money away on whores and wine all the time? Or maybe his bat shit crazy daughter, who he only notified now to explain why she has to marry the Tyrell.

Also, what is Tywin supposed to do now that his wealth has mostly went away? You make it seem as if it's so easy to make money and continue to be rich. If you have a better idea on what he should have done, let me know. Yes vaginas tend to have more sway with men than anything else, but again what did Joffrey do to stop Tywin from doing whatever it is he wanted. He did very well to create this alliance. The truth is that he has no real allies other than some cousions etc. and they don't seem to be intelligent, as we saw in season 2. His daughter is insane, his son doesn't care about politics and he and his younger son hate each other at King's Landing. He doesn't have any real allies.

RE: Oberyn, and "knowing everyone's thoughts", you could use that excuse to back any decision any character makes. But it's quite clear that Tywin is fully aware of the hatred Oberyn has for his family, and yet he thinks he's being wise by keeping his enemies close. This will probably not work out well.
As someone said this is a keep friends close, and enemies closer type of tactic that has been used for many times in story and real life. However in this case, this is where Tywin IMO made his only real mistake.

This isn't about just knowing everyone's thoughts, there's just too many variables for him to control. Kingdoms are going against the crown, Wildlings up north and too many enemies to count at King's Landing.

And speaking of Tyrion, Tywin was also quite foolish to think that Tyrion would just roll over and take this little scheme laying down. He has no idea who his son is.
So foolish that it wasn't until Shae came out that he was going to do it. :p

From what I've read, Sandor is just as capable as Gregor in battle. Do you remember that scene where Sandor chops that guy in half through armour, bone, and muscle? He's not one to be taken lightly. A fight to the death between those two would be one of the best fights I can imagine.

I disagree.

Sandor's as skilled a warrior as they can get in Westeros, but he would (reasonably) fear his big bro in a single combat.

Sure, the Hound has some pure might about him as well, but he's no equal to the Mountain, and Beric Dondarrion most likely wore shitty battered-ass armor.

Azih

Everything before this season Tywin was the one of the smart people.

He spent the entire life of Tyrion keeping Tyrion alive and not letting anyone kill him, along with Jaime. Tywin had the smarts to send Tyrion to King's Landing to keep Joffery in check and keep King's Landing under under Lannister control. Season 1 and 2 Tywin was smart as fuck, Season 3 Tywin has decided its time to kill the smart level headed people around him or send them away. Season 3 Tywin is utter fucking shit stupid badly written new(?) writers of the show changed him into a dunce since he arrived at King's Landing.

Tyrion was making KIng's Landing a money maker but now that clearly is not a viable storyline anymore so lets all forget what Tyrion has done. Shitty
I don't know about that I don't think Season 3 Tywin is any different from Season 1 and 2 Tywin. It's just that in previous seasons Tywin was focused on grabbing power and in season 3 he has it and has to hold on to it which is a very very different situation (which Dany is finding out across the sea).

We're just finding out now that the power grab, instead of it being a strong move by a Lannister family secure in its base and wanting more, was far more of a desperate move as the mines of Casterly Rock are finally running out and the Lannisters probably need to hold King's Landing to survive.

I disagree.

Sandor's as skilled a warrior as they can get in Westeros, but he would (reasonably) fear his big bro in a single combat.

Sure, the Hound has some pure might about him as well, but he's no equal to the Mountain, and Beric Dondarrion most likely wore shitty battered-ass armor.

I don't think he'd fear Gregor at all. He jumped down and defended Loras against him at the jousting tournament. He didn't have to do that.

I would had included Baelish, but I think he darn goof'd up killing Lysa in front of Sansa. That was a rookie move, in my opinion.
Nope it wasn't. He married Lysa. He didn't need her any more. Sansa is his captive, by marrying her off to Robyn he gains access to Winterfell.

I think Tywin is a smart strategist, seeing everybody like pieces on a chess board. He doesn't care about being liked, and this may come back to bite him.

Tywin: "I don't care what people believe, and neither do you"

Olenna: "As an authority on myself I must disagree"

Tywin's tactics have brought him to his position as the most powerful man in Westeros but they've also brought his family to the point of complete breakdown and financial ruin. The Tyrells' "soft power" tactics may win out in the end.

Also, what is Tywin supposed to do now that his wealth has mostly went away? You make it seem as if it's so easy to make money and continue to be rich. If you have a better idea on what he should have done, let me know. Yes vaginas tend to have more sway with men than anything else, but again what did Joffrey do to stop Tywin from doing whatever it is he wanted. He did very well to create this alliance. The truth is that he has no real allies other than some cousions etc. and they don't seem to be intelligent, as we saw in season 2. His daughter is insane, his son doesn't care about politics and he and his younger son hate each other at King's Landing. He doesn't have any real allies.
Maybe the reason he doesn't have any real allies is that everyone knows how ruthless he is. Maybe the reason his kids hate him is because he transparently uses them to gain power and has never treated them like people.

Zeppu

There are two things which keep popping in my head about the events happening recently.

Firstly there's Cersei. I understand she hates Tyrion and would be much happier if he were dead. She had hated him since he was born, she hated that he didn't suck to her at all times like everyone else did, she hated that on multiple occasions eh stood up to Joffery and was not scared of him. However she is smart and I don't for one second believe that Tyrion actually killed her son. She must've figured out that Tyrion only had access to the cup by sheer coincidence, that it isn't his style to just kill his enemies and more importantly that he is too smart to put himself in a position where he's the one obvious suspect. I also feel that pretty much only Joffery, who was a complete and utter idiot, was the only one who really blamed Tyrion for the poisoning. No one of the small council seriously believes that Tyrion is responsible but everyone wasn't to suck up to the queen.

Anyway, in the heat of the moment it's obvious Cercei would've blamed Tyrion, but she's had time to think about it and she must've realised that he is innocent. Which means her petty need to rid the world of Tyrion means she is willing to just let whoever the true killer is go free without any investigation. I find that to be a bit strange of her.

Secondly I'm thinking there's a bigger ploy being worked on by Littlefinger. I've stopped believing he is doing anything because of his love for Cat/Sansa. He knew was putting Cat at risk by telling Lysa to send her a crow accusing the Lannister's of Jon Arryn's death. He set the whole game in motion, knowing that Ned probably wouldn't survive it. However he's been professing his love to Cat, over and over and over to lots of people and especially in front of Sansa. I doubt he truly cares about Sansa per se. She's probably another pawn in his game. He's been showing affection towards her and emphasising his love for her mother in an attempt to gain her trust and use her to gain access to the North. He's already got his hands on Harrenhal (The Riverlands?) and the Vale. He's also best buddies with the Tyrells and close enough to the Lannisters that they have no reason to suspect anything of him. With Sansa he'll also gain access to the North.

I really cannot fathom she's anything but a playing piece for him, especially since they guy is devious and his self professed love for Cat/Sansa is the one thing which we've had repeatedly beaten into us (as an audience) and there's no way anything is as it seems with Baelish.

Nameless

The way Tywin manipulated Tyrion's arrest to get everything he wanted is some of the most brilliant manuevering we've seen. As was the way
he bended Tommen to his will with a pop quiz. He immediately knew Arya was a girl. He's the only person in King's Land to see through Pycelle.. The man eviscerated the Robb Stark using nothing but a pen & a pad. Tywin Lannister is smarter than your favorite character

Honorable mention

-Baelish
-Varys
-Olenna
-Tyrion
-Margaery
-Melisandre

Volimar

Well, it's his word agains hers. Also, she's still wanted right? I don't think a lot of people would believe her anyway.

She's her niece. I imagine the court knows her better than they know Baelish. Regardless, it'd be a stupid move on her part. She should play dumb until she's in a more powerful position.

Loakum

Banned
Well, it's his word agains hers. Also, she's still wanted right? I don't think a lot of people would believe her anyway.

You're right it would be her word against his but, it would have to seem strange..Lysa falling through a Moon Door, she's been living with for years and years. Oh...I hate this week off from showing the next episode foolishness. lol

Loakum

Banned
She's her niece. I imagine the court knows her better than they know Baelish. Regardless, it'd be a stupid move on her part. She should play dumb until she's in a more powerful position.

Hmmm...it's a tough call. I'm sure Sansa realizes the last time she lied in a royal throne room, and see how bad that turned out. I just can't see her making the same mistake.

Volimar

Hmmm...it's a tough call. I'm sure Sansa realizes the last time she lied in a royal throne room, and see how bad that turned out. I just can't see her making the same mistake.

I would love to see the look on Littlefinger's face if she turned on him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If Littlefinger was going to allow Sansa to witness the murder, he probably chose the best time for it considering Lysa's crazy ass nearly chucked her down the moon door just moments before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom