• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this discussion about the Mountain, I've started to wonder how many people there are that can take him on.

I hear some people in the thread saying that Oberyn is one of the best fighters in the world, and Bronn seems to think he's no match, so it seems that only top tier fighters would even think about it.

So, who do you guys think can actually take him (the Mt.) on and win, living or dead (as long as they've been shown in the show.

Can Ned and Robert (in their prime) win? Robb, Jon? Brienne? What about Daenerys' top swordsman (the guy who got fired by Joffrey and joined her), he's old and we haven't ever seen him fight.

I think its a pretty fun thought experiment since it seems the Mountain is pretty much the "scariest" fighter we've seen so far. What do you think GAF?

Nose Master

How ? Go on.

He blatantly propositioned her in season 2/3 or some such and she shot him down, iirc.

I imagine that the random hot piece of thirsty ass is a bit less complicated to give in to than Jorah. The other guy she can doo-diddle and leave it at that. Jorah would be looking to wife her.

EDIT: What ever happened to that smoke monster that the red witch pooped out?

With all this discussion about the Mountain, I've started to wonder how many people there are that can take him on.

I hear some people in the thread saying that Oberyn is one of the best fighters in the world, and Bronn seems to think he's no match, so it seems that only top tier fighters would even think about it.

So, who do you guys think can actually take him (the Mt.) on and win, living or dead (as long as they've been shown in the show.

Can Ned and Robert (in their prime) win? Robb, Jon? Brienne? What about Daenerys' top swordsman (the guy who got fired by Joffrey and joined her), he's old and we haven't ever seen him fight.

I think its a pretty fun thought experiment since it seems the Mountain is pretty much the "scariest" fighter we've seen so far. What do you think GAF?

I really want to see the Hound fight him, since that brotherly angst about the burnt face has been pushed since season 1.
But that would take one hell of a twist.

Ichi_

Neo Member

Just some guesses besides his upcoming match:
Top Three:
Barristan Selmy (at least in his prime),
Jamie pre-missing hand.
The Hound (he does have the motivation and size).

Others:
Just a shot in the dark, Loras Tyrell or Brienne... maybe.. if the conditions are right.
Unlikely a match up but I bet mt. vs. drogo would have been a fun match.
Ned and Robert in their prime certainly would have been a good match

I think the fear from the mountain has more to do with his ruthlessness off the field of battle then on it. He is a pretty sadistic person given what he know of his past, but that doesn't mean he is the best fighter or unbeatable.

Are Pedro and Lena dating ? They play and kiss each other in these promo videos.
Judging by body language, they've at least had sex.

Bronn said he might win. Simply the way he worded it, it seemed like the Mountain would be the favorite and that's not worth his life. I'm pretty sure from what I've heard, Jaime should taken him if his hand was still intact.

I really am confident that Oberyn is going to fuck the Moutain up and probably make a scene. I can imagine a "Tywin, you see what I'm doing to him.." Would be pretty amazing if he killed as he looks at Tywin in the eyes. Just to be a bigger badass. >:)
If he dies this season, I lose my shit

Just some guesses besides his upcoming match:
Top Three:
Barristan Selmy (at least in his prime),
Jamie pre-missing hand.
The Hound (he does have the motivation and size).

Others:
Just a shot in the dark, Loras Tyrell or Brienne... maybe.. if the conditions are right.
Unlikely a match up but I bet mt. vs. drogo would have been a fun match.
Ned and Robert in their prime certainly would have been a good match

I think the fear from the mountain has more to do with his ruthlessness off the field of battle then on it. He is a pretty sadistic person given what he know of his past, but that doesn't mean he is the best fighter or unbeatable.

wee-bey-gif.gif

Oh damn I never even thought about that! That would be a fun matchup

Bronn said he might win. Simply the way he worded it, it seemed like the Mountain would be the favorite and that's not worth his life. I'm pretty sure from what I've heard, Jaime should taken him if his hand was still intact.

True. I guess a better way to put it is that he thinks theres a significant chance of him losing (enough to not want to fight for his BFF)

I really want to see the Hound fight him, since that brotherly angst about the burnt face has been pushed since season 1.
But that would take one hell of a twist.

Yeah, like others have said in this thread though, this story doesn't ever really have satisfying "justice" done to its characters. Honestly though, I think that Bronn and the Hound both would lose in a fight to the Mt.

Superflat

I'd like to see Syrio Forel or Drogo go up against the Mountain for sure. I think Jaime, the Hound, and Ned Stark could kill the Mountain in a fair match, but everyone going against him is automatically at a significant disadvantage..

Sendero

Well:
  1. Drogo - Just by looking at his weapon and almost lack of armor, he would lose.
  2. Ser Loras - Does not have the thirst for blood required to survive the fight for long time.
  3. Robert - seemed to have been a legit great combatant, but don't think he had the finesse required to evade the Mountain and counterattack. Was far shorter and weaker, so likely would have died.
  4. Ned felt like a well rounded fighter. But didn't seem to have had a notorious skill, attribute or advantage, so no go.
  5. Don't think Brienne would stand a chance.
Depending on how Oberyn performs, I might give the nod to Greyworm.

On the other hand, Jaime and Selmi have been hyped to stars, so guess both would have won on their prime.

Warg'ed and enraged Hodor? You better run.

Kozak

Banned
I think any good fighter would be able to kill the Mountain. From what we've heard from the show he doesn't exactly "fight". He is just a brute.

Loras easily dispatched him 1v1 on horseback. The Hound matched him in combat and honestly seemed to be having an easier time of it than the Mountain.

The Hound always speaks about killing his brother as if it could happen tomorrow so I don't think he has much regard for his brothers skills with a sword.

No doubt Bronn would have fought for Tyrion if Tyrion would have been able to offer better than Cersei.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaIwtO6VWCU

I think all those listed above could kill the Mountain except for Robert.

Mario007

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but the whole "Who is the strongest"/ "who could defeat who" conversation is about as nerdy as it gets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well:
  1. Drogo - Just by looking at his weapon and almost lack of armor, he would lose.
  2. Ser Loras - Does not have the thirst for blood required to survive the fight for long time.
  3. Robert - seemed to have been a legit great combatant, but don't think he had the finesse required to evade the Mountain and counterattack. Was far shorter and weaker, so likely would have died.
  4. Ned felt like a well rounded fighter. But didn't seem to have had a notorious skill, attribute or advantage, so no go.
  5. Don't think Brienne would stand a chance.
Depending on how Oberyn performs, I might give the nod to Greyworm.

On the other hand, Jaime and Selmi have been hyped to stars, so guess both would have won on their prime.

Warg'ed and enraged Hodor? You better run.

Ned was about even with Jaime when they fought, it took a spear to the knee to turn that fight in Jaime's favor.

Honestly, I think it's just Ned and Jaime. Syrio had mad skills and with a proper sword perhaps, but it would be a drawn out fight where one wrong move meant death. Same with Bronn. Oberyn I think will at most tie, Grey Worm would get wrecked only because he's never fought anyone with that sort of armor before.

Pretty much everyone outside of Ned and Jaime's level would get wrecked or maybe squeak out a tie.

Mario007

Ned was about even with Jaime when they fought, it took a spear to the knee to turn that fight in Jaime's favor.

Honestly, I think it's just Ned and Jaime. Syrio had mad skills and with a proper sword perhaps, but it would be a drawn out fight where one wrong move meant death. Same with Bronn. Oberyn I think will at most tie, Grey Worm would get wrecked only because he's never fought anyone with that sort of armor before.

Pretty much everyone outside of Ned and Jaime's level would get wrecked or maybe squeak out a tie.
A first sword of Braavos would surely best Mountain. Never mind the fact that Syrio's style would be absolutely the right one to use against a big brute like the Mountain.

I don't like the idea that Bronn is okay with killing his future wife's sister.

Why? It's not like it's against his character or something.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
She's so fucking beautiful JESUS
I've been championing brunette Headey for the longest time. Gorgeous woman, wonky teef and everything. She also has a terrific, wicked sense of humor. I bet she's a riot after shooting.

It's funny how she and Emilia look just pretty in their wigs, yet outright disarming with their natural hair.

TheYanger

To jump into the Mountain debate...I'm not sure there are many if any people that could consistently beat him. That's the reason nobody wants to fight him, not because they'd have no chance, any given sunday and all that, but because who wants to risk it? He's definitely not fast, just fast for his size (someone said that right? Bronn?), but if he hits you, you ARE dead. Plus he can probably shrug some pretty heavy shit off.

I can't imagine even Jaime or Barristan would want to try their luck at fighting him in their primes.

Yeah she is amazing in real life. Had the opportunity to see her and Peter Dinklage last year at the Calgary Comic Expo. Their panel was probably my highlight of that weekend.

A few pics I snapped at the panel. Sorry for the blurriness, I suck at working a camera lol

yup. definitely would.

Showaddy

Loras easily dispatched him 1v1 on horseback. The Hound matched him in combat and honestly seemed to be having an easier time of it than the Mountain.

Loras cheated to win that joust though. Rode a mare in heat which made Gregor's horse super skittish.

Radec

Oberyn can defeat The Mountain easily

We'll see in about 1 and half weeks!

- - - -

OT,

I wonder what Westeros would be like now if Arya named Tywin as one of her wishes to Jaqen..

Stannis would have won blackwater, the King of the North would still be alive.. the Lannisters are extinct.

Alpende

Oberyn can defeat The Mountain easily

We'll see in about 1 and half weeks!

- - - -

OT,

I wonder what Westeros would be like now if Arya named Tywin as one of her wishes to Jaqen..

Stannis would have won blackwater, the King of the North would still be alive.. the Lannisters are extinct.

Didn't she do that? Jaqen didn't want to so she forced him to kill all those guards so that she could get away right?

To jump into the Mountain debate...I'm not sure there are many if any people that could consistently beat him. That's the reason nobody wants to fight him, not because they'd have no chance, any given sunday and all that, but because who wants to risk it? He's definitely not fast, just fast for his size (someone said that right? Bronn?), but if he hits you, you ARE dead. Plus he can probably shrug some pretty heavy shit off.

I can't imagine even Jaime or Barristan would want to try their luck at fighting him in their primes.

That's what I said earlier.

Besides being just huge, he wears an armor so heavy it's said no other man could move inside it, wields a two-handed-sword one-handed, can definitely take more hits than anybody else we've seen, is reasonably fast and, despite being an imbecile and a brute, has very refined battle istincts.

As it was stated by Bronn, you can try and dance around him in order to wear him out, but one hit of his greatsword and you're killed, adding the fact that he's got superior reach, and I don't know if you know how reach influences dodging mechanics in combat tactics, but you have to stay OUT of it, otherwise you can only effectively parry if you're INSIDE your foe's reach (unless you're Mr. Fantastic).
And there's, I think, the beauty of Oberyn going against him
armed with spear, as it is shown in the preview for the next episode, since a spear is probably the only weapon that can allow him to stay sufficiently out of the Mtn.'s incredible radius for a swordsman, and still being able to hit. We'll se if he can trespass the Mtn.'s heavy armor and mail, because that's still not granted.

I don't think linking to the scene were the Hound exchanges a very few hits with his brother does actually prove anything, and, on the other hand, of course I'm not saying the Mtn's invincible, but frankly I don't see any character in the series having favorable odds against him.

Nameless

Ned felt like a well rounded fighter. But didn't seem to have had a notorious skill, attribute or advantage, so no go.

I agree with a lot of your points but not here.

Ned was definitely considered an elite fighter. Even Ser Barristan, who's blown constantly as the greatest ever, acknowledged Ned's skill as a warrior. Jaime saw Ned as one of the few legitimate challenges in Westeros and was eager to fight him to cement his own legend.

I think Ned beats The Mountain as easily as he can be beaten. Ned has speed, Ned has power, and Ned has a valyrian steel great sword that could easily pierce Gegor's massive armor.

got-game-of-thrones-26200829-2000-1333.jpg

PFD

But [Davos] has the brain, the tongue and the will to accomplish stuff. Big stuff.
Incidentally, he strike me as one of the most intelligent actors of the whole cast as well.

The dude really knows his stuff. He even discussed the Occulus Rift in one of his interviews (they had a demo in the GoT exhibition), and talked about the Facebook acquisition and how it's still early in development. I was blown away

I agree with a lot of your points but not here.

Ned was definitely considered an elite fighter. Even Ser Barristan, who's blown constantly as the greatest ever, acknowledged Ned's skill as a warrior. Jaime saw Ned as one of the few legitimate challenges in Westeros and was eager to fight him to cement his own legend.

Wasn't Ned besting Jamie when they fought...before that assclown speared him?

Azih

I think Jaime prime edged Ned prime. Academic debate though as Jaime lost his hand and Ned lost head.

So *cough* post prime Jaime wins handily.

Zeppu

Hasn't it been pointed out time and time again that Jamie isn't anything special but people like to praise the highborn knight. Is there even any historical proof that he's as good as his reputation suggests other than him being in the Kingsguard?

Hasn't it been pointed out time and time again that Jamie isn't anything special but people like to praise the highborn knight. Is there even any historical proof that he's as good as his reputation suggests other than him being in the Kingsguard?
Jaime was supposed to be the best swordsman out there before losing his sword according to book readers, so he was pretty special.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

But guy went up against Ned Stark and Brienne.

Nameless

Wasn't Ned besting Jamie when they fought...before that assclown speared him?

Ned was easily deflecting all Jaime's fancy attacks. It was pretty even, but I think Ned had him.

Nah, Brienne muses about Jaime being a fraud but he was legit. When the Northmen recaptured him the first time one of the guys talked about how he cut down six men before they could subdue him.

Yeah, I'd been interested to know that too. Can they bring anything they want for weapons and armor? Certainly there has to be some limitations. What if someone wanted to fight with a crossbow? Could one use as many weapons as they can carry?Bring a horse? Judging by Bronn's fight in the Vale you can at least use all of the environment, but some might not like it. The show did make an obvious point of letting us know Oberyn studied poison, if he uses that would he be punished? Would it just be controversial? Or would the court just be like "Ha, very clever!"? Unfortunately this is something I'd imagine only book-readers would be able to provide an answer for, if anyone.

Do you guys think Jaqen could defeat the mountain?

We don't know much of the Braavosi society Jaqen is from... Maybe, maybe not.

If I had to guess, assuming that by "defeat" you mean, like, in a duel, I'd say no: he was an assassin (with some kind of magik at it too), and he could have probably killed Ser Gregor with subterfuge if he had wanted it, but I don't think he could have stood against an armored knight in battle, or at least we don't know nothing that would make us think so.

Sendero

I think Ned beats The Mountain as easily as he can be beaten. Ned has speed, Ned has power, and Ned has a valyrian steel great sword that could easily pierce Gegor's massive armor.
It has been long since I saw the scene, but I have this idea that Jaime was happy to finally find someone worthy of his skills, and was about to amp up the fight to a new level.. until the spear took the fun out of it.

I do not recall Ned being heralded as a great fighter; more about his leadership and being honorable. Robert however was the one with the mad killing skills. So, I always saw them as a good complementary duo. Of course if Barristan said that, then may change things.

The thing is that guys like Bronn, Robert, Daario, Jaime, etc do not seem to have the power to pass the Mountain's armor, evade and continue the fight. But all of them either are willing to fight dirty or have this love-for-fighting thing going on, that don't think that Ned had. So sure, he might be able to win (with his sword), but likely would still be beat up most of the time.

I'm leaving Syrio out, because his fate is unknown yet.

The dude really knows his stuff. He even discussed the Occulus Rift in one of his interviews (they had a demo in the GoT exhibition), and talked about the Facebook acquisition and how it's still early in development. I was blown away
Yes, he (Ser Davos) is pretty awesome. Fun fact: he actually made a movie with Melisandre's actress. They were a couple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom