• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It just hit me who his new mother is.

Sansa?

Oberyn's reddit AMA is a fun read (No spoilers)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/26gtvt/i_am_actor_pedro_pascal_i_play_oberyn_in_game_of/

Can't believe that the last episode (Prison scene) is his first day on the set as a GoT cast. :O

Thank you for linking this.

Pedro Pascal said:
...and the guy was trying to get people's attention and he said to me "And YOU sir, look like Oberyn Martell on Game of Thrones!" and I stopped in my tracks for a second and didn't know what to say, and he said "Holy Shit, you ARE Oberyn Martell on Game of Thrones" and then he left me alone. Haha. And let me go to Barnes & Nobel!
That would have been amazing to witness in person. Pedro is an awesome guy.

TheContact

I never would have thought that Oberyn and the Mountain would stop mid fight to disrobe then start getting it on in front of everyone. It was quite to tonal shift.

Also Lysa flying back up through the moon door on her broomstick was so obvious.

I know right. GRIM wasn't kidding about wanting to keep the readers/watchers surprised

Trick_GSF

Banned
When I first started watching, I used to think Daenerys was awesome, but the more I watched the less I liked her character. Now I get sort of irritated by her.. Can't tell you why, hard to articulate, but its nothing to do with Emilia Clarke. Just gone off her character I suppose.

When I first started watching, I used to think Daenerys was awesome, but the more I watched the less I liked her character. Now I get sort of irritated by her.. Can't tell you why, hard to articulate, but its nothing to do with Emilia Clarke. Just gone off her character I suppose.
She's a naive moron

Vashetti

Banned

Her big "awesome" moment was last year in episode 4 of Season 3, when she burned Kraznys and got the Unsullied. Since then she's let the power go to her head.

Warning as others have said and mod has highlighted, reddit comments are littered with spoilers. Be careful

UPDATE: THERE WILL NO SPOILERS IN MY ANSWERS.

Seeing this makes me want to read the hell out of that AMA, but I know there's going to be some random comment from a user who spoils something, not worth the risk.

I was reading the Dinklage one and about halfway through I realized, wtf am I doing? and closed the page right away, thankfully I didn't get spoiled.

Mario007

Seeing this makes me want to read the hell out of that AMA, but I know there's going to be some random comment from a user who spoils something, not worth the risk.

I was reading the Dinklage one and about halfway through I realized, wtf am I doing? and closed the page right away, thankfully I didn't get spoiled.
Just read his answers and questions preceding them. Ive done that and didn't get spoiled

Nameless

Her big "awesome" moment was last year in episode 4 of Season 3, when she burned Kraznys and got the Unsullied. Since then she's let the power go to her head.

She's also completely turned into an absolute-dealing Sith.

Daeny has always been extremely harsh and unmerciful in dealing vengeance justice. The healer in S1 who she burned alive. The Richest Man in Qarth and her own hand maiden whom she had entombed, alive, in a giant vault. That first Master genocide in Astapoor. Even goingback to Viserys, she could have had Drogo spare his life and opt for exile. Instead she tricked him into accepting a terrible death.

It's funny because on paper, she's far worse than Joffrey ever was as a purveyor of pain & suffering.

KorrZ

It's funny because on paper, she's far worse than Joffrey ever was as a purveyor of pain & suffering.

She definitely does not fuck around when it comes to dealing out "justice". Definitely not even close to Joffrey though - the terrible part about him was the random cruelty. Danerys at least only horrifically kills people who wrong her.

Zeppu

I was actually thinking about this before and I tend to agree. Both seem to deal absolute, justice according to their twisted vision of justice. The only difference is that Joffery mostly enjoyed suffering for the sake of suffering whereas Dany seems to enjoy suffering as retribution for offenders to her self righteous moral code. She also doesn't seem to know the meaning of irony.

She would be as terrible a Queen as Joffery was a king though. Maybe if she starts listening to her advisers more that can be helped.

Nameless

She definitely does not fuck around when it comes to dealing out "justice". Definitely not even close to Joffrey though - the terrible part about him was the random cruelty. Danerys at least only horrifically kills people who wrong her.

Joffrey was a dastardly, despicable, detestable person, but Daeny is definitely responsible for worse atrocities and more death--she just doesn't revel in these things, and aims her fury at the morally bankrupt. The worst crimes Joffrey committed were having Robert's bastards executed and endlessly tormenting Sansa. You could argue that Ned, the singing bard, Ser Dantos, and Tyrion all wronged him and brought his wrath on themselves.

I agree that Joffrey was a far far shittier human being. But it's fascinating how, in a vacuum, the most hated character on the show is responsible for far less suffering & death than arguably the most loved.

Last night's episode was fantastic. Loved when Oberyn hit the last-minute X Factor and caught both Gregor and Cersei in the happy birthday OTG into DHC.

Please buff Tyrion, Capcom.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't know if this is old but it got me too
http://imgur.com/gallery/5R78U
7AwNVvK.gif

e1znHlj.gif

OpkSUgc.gif

lNC2fk6.gif

Nameless

I was actually thinking about this before and I tend to agree. Both seem to deal absolute, justice according to their twisted vision of justice. The only difference is that Joffery mostly enjoyed suffering for the sake of suffering whereas Dany seems to enjoy suffering as retribution for offenders to her self righteous moral code. She also doesn't seem to know the meaning of irony.

She would be as terrible a Queen as Joffery was a king though. Maybe if she starts listening to her advisers more that can be helped.

True. But the most chilling part about Daeny having the masters of Mereen crucified was the way she stood overlooking the city basking in their screams. It's the Dexter principle...you can be as horrible as you want to horrible people.

Daeny is pretty close in age to Joffrey. It'll be interesting to see how she matures, and if her way of dealing punishment will be as heavy handed if/when she conquers Westeros.

Joffrey was a dastardly, despicable, detestable person, but Daeny is definitely responsible for worse atrocities and more death--she just doesn't revel in these things, and aims her fury at the morally bankrupt. The worst crimes Joffrey committed were having Robert's bastards executed and endlessly tormenting Sansa. You could argue that Ned, the singing bard, Ser Dantos, and Tyrion all wronged him and brought his wrath on themselves.

I agree that Joffrey was a far far shittier human being. But it's fascinating how, in a vacuum, the most hated character on the show is responsible for far less suffering & death than arguably the most loved.
draguns r sow kewl

Zeppu

True. But the most chilling part about Daeny having the masters of Mereen crucified was the way she stood overlooking the city basking in their screams. It's the Dexter principle...you can be as horrible as you want to horrible people.

Daeny is pretty close in age to Joffrey. It'll be interesting to see how she matures, and if her way of dealing punishment will be as heavy handed if/when she conquers Westeros.

Could you imagine what Daeny would've done to Ned if he had dared question her legitimacy of the throne? Or if she had been attacked by Arya's direwolf.

I'd say she wouldn't have been into all the senseless violence and petty revenge for minor grievances, but anyone who would've dared crossed her path would've suffered just as badly as they would've against Joffery.

Probably 'who killed x?'
A bit of that, but mostly
the Iimplication that Tyrion killed the king. I really hope they dont waste a ton of episodes on him being tried, probably found guilty.....trying to prove his innocence. I just wwnt it over quickly. No matter the outcome.

tmdorsey

Could you imagine what Daeny would've done to Ned if he had dared question her legitimacy of the throne? Or if she had been attacked by Arya's direwolf.

I'd say she wouldn't have been into all the senseless violence and petty revenge for minor grievances, but anyone who would've dared crossed her path would've suffered just as badly as they would've against Joffery.

I don't think she would put herself in the position to where the direwolf would attack her, which illistrates the main difference between her and Joffery.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Even goingback to Viserys, she could have had Drogo spare his life and opt for exile. Instead she tricked him into accepting a terrible death.
...Excuse me? She tricked him how? He stumbled into the room, drunk and sneering, and drew a weapon in a place he wasn't allowed to, all before she even said a word. He then threatened to murder her and her unborn child, in front of Drogo.

Either you're trolling, or misremembering how it went down, or... I don't want to go there, but here's the scene from S1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JeShM_ck8

Tell me again how she "tricked" him? By translating Drogo's words to him? I really hope you weren't serious...

Even if we agreed with this ridiculous argument, Joffrey having Ned beheaded pretty much sparked the whole war, including Robb's rebellion and therefore the Red Wedding. Soooooo.... nope. Not even close.

Mario007

...Excuse me? She tricked him how? He stumbled into the room, drunk and sneering, and drew a weapon in a place he wasn't allowed to, all before she even said a word. He then threatened to murder her and her unborn child, in front of Drogo.

Either you're trolling, or misremembering how it went down, or... I don't want to go there, but here's the scene from S1:

Tell me again how she "tricked" him? By translating Drogo's words to him? I really hope you weren't serious...

Even if we agreed with this ridiculous argument, Joffrey having Ned beheaded pretty much sparked the whole war, including Robb's rebellion and therefore the Red Wedding. Soooooo.... nope. Not even close.

To be fair, Dany would have done the same thing as Joff based on the previous past episodes.If you look at it from Joff's perspective, his father's best friend was trying to usurp the power from him and say he wasn't a king. Dany would have been equally pissed and both of them have a very misguided sense of justice.

EDIT: Joff is amd should be hated for a lot of reasons, being a spoiled brat who loves people suffer being the number one there, but killing off Ned really wasn't that much of an 'evil' act. It just stung for us as the audience since Ned was, up until then, the main character.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair, Dany would have done the same thing as Joff based on the previous past episodes.If you look at it from Joff's perspective, his father's best friend was trying to usurp the power from him and say he wasn't a king. Dany would have been equally pissed and both of them have a very misguided sense of justice.

EDIT: Joff is amd should be hated for a lot of reasons, being a spoiled brat who loves people suffer being the number one there, but killing off Ned really wasn't that much of an 'evil' act. It just stung for us as the audience since Ned was, up until then, the main character.

No, it was a pretty evil act. There was a deal in place and he broke it. The only reason he was up there was because he was told he'd be sent to the wall and his family would be spared. It was a decidedly dick move.

A bit of that, but mostly
the Iimplication that Tyrion killed the king. I really hope they dont waste a ton of episodes on him being tried, probably found guilty.....trying to prove his innocence. I just wwnt it over quickly. No matter the outcome.
Why are you in this topic if you've only seen the first 2 episodes? Leave now before getting spoiled (if this is the person :S )

Mario007

No, it was a pretty evil act. There was a deal in place and he broke it. The only reason he was up there was because he was told he'd be sent to the wall and his family would be spared. It was a decidedly dick move.

It was a dick move but not an evil one. Joffrey gave his reasons for it, no one will challenge his authority. He was sending a message. Again that is very close to what Dany is doing the slavers. Both are doing it for reasons they believe makes it just for them to do so. After all Dany had a deal in Astapor that she gladly broke and pretty much killed off a huge portion of the city.

Both Joff and Dany are not afraid to commit atrocious acts of violence and justify them with their own twisted logic. Now obviously Joff is the more evil of the two as he seems to enjoy just abusing power, something we haven't (yet) seen from Dany.

Nameless

If you're following the context of discussion then I'm not exactly sure what or why you're arguing. Daeny has shown ruthlessness to those who've tormented or betrayed her and the innocent. Allowing Viserys to die screaming a gruesome death applies here, no?

I don't need to rewatch the scene, but next time you do take note of the way she 'translating' Drogo's words. I'm inclined to believe that Drogo was giving a pretty literal account of what he was going to do to Viserys, and she dressed it up. But even if her translation was verbatim, she knew full well he was fucked, and led him to believe the opposite. This is commonly referred to as a trick.

Forgetting that Littlefinger orchestrated everything, and forgetting that it's an objective fact that Daeny is directly responsible for more death than Joffrey, if we're going to evoke cause and effect then you have to add all those from Astapor and Yunkai who suffered and died in the throes of structureless, lawless, anarchy to Daeny's body count as well.

Your ire is probably best directed at the actual Daenerys haters in this thread. She's one of my favorite characters.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
When he bursts into the room like an idiot, Dany attempts to stop him by sending Ser Jorah to calm him down. He harshly brushes Jorah away, draws a sword in a forbidden place, and then starts threatening Dany and her unborn child. But somehow it's her fault (or she's responsible that) he's dead. Okay... whatever you say.

Viserys being an idiot does not suddenly remove any responsibility from Dany for his death when she could have easily found an alternative punishment that didn't involve killing her brother.

When he bursts into the room like an idiot, Dany attempts to stop him by sending Ser Jorah to calm him down. He harshly brushes Jorah away, draws a sword in a forbidden place, and then starts threatening Dany and her unborn child. But somehow it's her fault (or she's responsible that) he's dead. Okay... whatever you say.
She's such a nice person allowing her husband to kill her brother in a horrifying manner. Also her brother being a psycho dick completely absolves her of not giving a shit if he has one of the most brutal deaths in the series as she watches him only a few feet away.

Danny really is a sweetheart.

yep. She spared him before. The guy did not understand he was nothing there, he wouldn't learn. And Dany just waited to see if he was truly one that does not burn. Apparently, he wasn't. Otherwise, he wouldn't have died.

She's such a nice person allowing her husband to kill her brother in a horrifying manner. Also her brother being a psycho dick completely absolves her of not giving a shit if he has one of the most brutal deaths in the series as she watches him only a few feet away.

Danny really is a sweetheart.

he didn't give a fuck about her being essentially "wedding raped" by a wild savage either.

Famassu

It was a dick move but not an evil one. Joffrey gave his reasons for it, no one will challenge his authority. He was sending a message. Again that is very close to what Dany is doing the slavers. Both are doing it for reasons they believe makes it just for them to do so. After all Dany had a deal in Astapor that she gladly broke and pretty much killed off a huge portion of the city.

Both Joff and Dany are not afraid to commit atrocious acts of violence and justify them with their own twisted logic. Now obviously Joff is the more evil of the two as he seems to enjoy just abusing power, something we haven't (yet) seen from Dany.
Joffrey wants to kill kittens and whores and torture people because he thinks that's a fun past time. Dany does what she does because she wants to demolish slavery. She offers a peaceful solution, but if/when the slavers opt not to choose that option, then it's fire & blood. They do both kill people, but one does it because he enjoys it and the other does it as a form of "an eye for an eye" justice (which is still wrong by our modern standards, but at least somewhat justifiable) and/or to defend her own people.

yep. She spared him before. The guy did not understand he was nothing there, he wouldn't learn. And Dany just waited to see if he was truly one that does not burn. Apparently, he wasn't. Otherwise, he wouldn't have died.

he didn't give a fuck about her being essentially "wedding raped" by a wild savage either.
That makes it totally ok for sweetheart Danny then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom