• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

Tbh this is worse.
A sword through the back of the head isn't anywhere near as brutal as someone getting their face smashed in by their sibling's rapist/killer. It doesn't help that the said rapist/killer was able to taunt that someone about their sibling's brutal demise right before ending that person's life....
I'm still speechless....

It was the scream that did it for me.

Fuck.

JHall

sansastarky_by_watevaman-d7kooid.jpg

MMMM

Would berry.

Protag

Banned
Right, but it was too obvious. There is a difference between letting your guard down and stepping within inches of a man determined to kill you. I dunno just seemed too contrived for an already contrived scene.

Wait, but remember, oberyn was DRINKING. His judgement wasnt the best, and thats why he got carried away.

Thats what it had to have been, this was a smart man, and for him to not be tactful? Blame it on the drinking.

I kind of feel like that was a terrible episode

The internet has crystallized for me that no matter how great I think something is, there's atleast one person who will think just the opposite.

I thought this season was lacking and spread thin until this episode which I feel was really packed with alot of forward moving scenes: Bolton takes the north, Arya gets to the Vale, Sansa becomes an adult, Oberyn dies and Tyrion sentenced. Definitely my favorite episode of the season, minus that never-ending beetle story.

Plus, this episode really brought the gore with that flayed man and poor, poor Oberyn.

And that look that Sansa gave Baelish after he said "You think you know what I want?"... Hnnggggggg

Xion385

You know, I was feeling depressed about this show, but that fact alone gives me hope, hope that George R.R. Martin never brought/brings this character back in the books so I can imagine him living on forever as a total badass.

I mean Arya is going to end up in Braavos in the future right? The coin is basically a big foreshadow. I have hope that Jaqen will appear again...... and I hope GRRM doesn't kill him.

Nameless

Cersei's Sith training sessions are finally baring fruit. The entirety of Sansa's testimony was ripped right out the Queen Regent's playbook. Cersei also taught her that a weapon powerful enough to bring most men to heel rests between her legs. Never thought I would say this, but Sansa is poised to have Baelish eating out of her hand.

Volimar

Cersei's Sith training sessions are finally baring fruit. The entirety of Sansa's testimony was ripped right out the Queen Regent's playbook. Cersei also taught her that a weapon powerful enough to bring most men to heel rests between her legs. Never thought I would say this but Sansa is poised to have Baelish eating out of her
hand.

Mwahahaha!

rataven

It was so nice knowing ya Oberyn. You were too good to last.

And I feel soooo sad for Elleria. I can not even imagine the trauma of witnessing that happen to the one you love right in front of you. The whole scene was straight horror and then seeing Cersei and Tywin smirking at the end sickened me even more. What monsters.

Yup, I don't know why I'm supposed to care about Ramsey or what real relevance his character has to the current plot. It seems like the only reason he's even a character on the show is because he has Theon.

Yeah, and conversely to the Lannisters, Ramsay and the Boltons come across as clowns to me. They're SO over the top that it's not worth it to take them seriously. I feel like the show wants us to be afraid of them and shocked at the things they do (flaying, forced bad BDSM, etc.) but somehow it never gets there.

Protag

Banned
Cersei's Sith training sessions are finally baring fruit. The entirety of Sansa's testimony was ripped right out the Queen Regent's playbook. Cersei also taught her that a weapon powerful enough to bring most men to heel rests between her legs. Never thought I would say this, but Sansa is poised to have Baelish eating out of her hand.

Exactly, but i dont think she'll become dark.

Arc

THIS FUCKING SHOW.

I knew something was going to happen, knew it. But then Oberyn recovered a bit and almost finished him off and I thought maybe they will fuck with us by having him actually kill the mountain. BUT NOPE.

Also, what happens if the mountain dies? Oberyn fucked him up pretty good.

Ibuki

Banned
First time I think I actually screamed at the TV after an episode. I was expecting something bad to happen... but damn.

THIS FUCKING SHOW.

I knew something was going to happen, knew it. But then Oberyn recovered a bit and almost finished him off and I thought maybe they will fuck with us by having him actually kill the mountain. BUT NOPE.

He dies.

Oberyn died first, don't matter what happens to The Mountain.

Gray Matter

WHAT THE FUCK OBERYN! You arrogant motherfucker! I was relieved when he stabbed the mountain, which should have made him bleed out, but no, he's too cool for that. Fuck, fuck, fuck!!! I'm legit shocked. Favorite character this season, dead because of arrogance.

prove me wrong, but I don't think it's humanly possible for a human being, even the size of the actor who plays the mountain, to crush a skull like that. Crack the skull, maybe, but not completely obliterate.

Also, I would have loved if oberyn would have thrown his spear to Tywinn and kill him right there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, so how about Jorah getting the boot? Curious to see where he could go from here, but more importantly this doesn't bode well for Dany. As a Targaryan she kinda needs that voice of reason by her side...

Blader

I'm not normally disturbed by violence in tv or movies, but death by eye impalement is one of those things that I actually do get legit shook by. There's something about that imagery I can actually imagine feeling, and Oberyon's screaming did not help :\

Stevetopsy said:
I thought this season was lacking and spread thin until this episode

Really? I think this season has actually been better than the last two in actually consolidating storylines. Before, the show has kind of been all over the place with each subplot in its own separate world; now a lot of them are feeling as if they're tying together and coming to a head.

It could also have been both, and the fact that he didnt wear proper armor. Many factors.

Proper armor would have just gotten him killed earlier. Armor is irrelevant when any sword blow will kill you; it would have just slowed him down or impacted his mobility. The fact The Mountain knocked all of those teeth out of Oberyn's mouth in one punch while lying on his back dying illustrated his inhuman strength.

demolitio

Wow that was fucking brutal. This damn show even surprises me when I expect the story to go that way.

Now I can say what I wanted to say. I figured Oberyn was going to die since Pedro Pascal was always one of the first guest star names listed in the credits which to me seemed odd for a character I was hoping to see a lot of. I don't know if the Mountain was a guest star too, but now that he aired the Lannister's dirty laundry, who knows what will happen to him. That was a stupid slip-up.

Anyway, I hope Jaime mans up and frees his brother. His story seems to be about breaking away from the chains his father has him in and what better way to do that than free his brother that only he loves? Well, that and I just can't see Tyrion dying yet and it doesn't seem like Stannis is invading right away.

THIS FUCKING SHOW.

If that was the case it would probably come down to who killed who first under Tywins ruling just because.

Hopefully he does die though and there's reason to keep Tyrion on the show.

Lucario

Really? I think this season has actually been better than the last two in actually consolidating storylines. Before, the show has kind of been all over the place with each subplot in its own separate world; now a lot of them are feeling as if they're tying together and coming to a head.

Yeah, this season is fantastic so far.

I didn't like this episode in the sense that I didn't want Oberyn to die (or Ser Jorrah the Mormon to be sent packing,) but it was still a damn good episode. They're really bringing the plot together.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The second Oberyn entered the arena dancing with his spear flashes of Indiana Jones came to mind and it became obvious that he was gonna die.

I'm kinda mad, but I can't help but laugh. What a pitiful piece of shit. Died like his sister years ago, screaming and crushed like a dung beetle.

Hopefully Doran doesn't think of himself as immortal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom