• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who else kept thinking while The Mountain was crushing Oberyn's eyes, "hmmm, I wonder how he'll get out of this and kill him"
lol
I'm not even gonna even lie.
I thought Oberyn was going to wriggle out of The Mountain's grasp and stab him in the face or something. The poor guy would've been missing quite a few teeth, but I guess that's better than ending up like one of Gallagher's water melons.
:/

Edit:
It was the scream that did it for me.

Fuck.
Yeah...seeing a beautiful and confident man helplessly screaming in agony as he dies a painful death was pretty disturbing to say the least.
:(

Nameless

lol
I thought Oberyn was going to wriggle out of The Mountain's grasp and stab him in the face or something. The poor guy would've been missing quite a few teeth, but I guess that's better than ending up like one of Gallagher's water melons.

As soon as I saw his teeth splatter everywhere I knew he was fucked. Not that fucked, but still.

Seligrafo

That ending made me want to puke.

Depressing and gory and just holy shit.

I need like a month long break from this show but... I... can't...

I gotta know what happens next. That was a good episode

ALSO is it just me or is dany totally overreacting. youd think after more than a year with the guy as your right hand man youd figure he wasn't all that bad.

then again, this is game of thrones and you can't trust anyone sooo...

Kusagari

Mountain seems like a Dark Souls fight. If you're swift and nimble you can take him down because he's not that skilled. But if he gets one good hit on you then you're fucked.

Oberyn did everything he had to do up until the point he got too caught up in revenge to actually finish things. Once he started screaming like that I knew he was dead meat.

antitrop

Oberyn was drunk? He had like a swig of wine, it's not like he was shitfaced out there.
He was already drinking and spending his last moments with the girl before Tyrion was brought out.

I don't think he was like absolutely sloshed, but I think it's pretty agreeable that he was more intoxicated than would have been recommended for a life and death arena battle.

Yea but Bronn's a bro. If anyone could do it...
For the right price of course. But he's been already bought. Staking everything he gained (marriage to a highborn lady, a castle of his own) just so he can bust out Tyrion is against his selfish character. Besides, Cersei already foresaw this scenario which is why she bought him out in the first place.

Tyrion is doomed ;( The faster we are at peace with that expectation, the better it is for us.

The story would fall apart without these characters. GRRM has stated Tyrion is his favourite, I think that's enough said. Hes also a sort of moral heart in the story, without him its all the same tone. Dany killed by her dragons? What's the point of 4 seasons of her prancing around the desert then? Same with Jon, if he dies now nothing happens - even if they lose the wall. It doesn't make sense for him to die yet.

I should also mention Arya, no way she is dying yet. Clearly she is going to have some major influence down the line.

I'm just tired of the 'anything can happen' motto, it has largely the same conventions of many other fantasy stories. Unfulfilled prophecies etc..

Not hating though, I really enjoy it.

Fine, but we were lead to believe that there would be a war, which stopped short with Robs death.

We were lead to believe that Theon would be rescued, the end of last season had a huge build up for it, that was stopped dead with a weak attempt.

Joffrey had it coming to him but again, out of nowhere, stopped dead.

Hell, going back to season 1 without knowing that Sean Bean plays roles only to die, what happened there? Even King Robert.

My point isn't that they don't have plots to move them forward, because they all do, but that hasn't stopped anyone from dying in the past, be it a big or small death, plot points have been stopped or twisted in an instant. Or in Theon's case, what's the point of him being alive and an integral part of the show? He's someone that should be dead, but he's not.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Edit:

Yeah...seeing a beautiful and confident man helplessly screaming in agony as he dies a painful death was pretty disturbing to say the least.
:(

I figured he'd have a dagger or something on him that he'd use.

It's my fault really.

Ovid

That ending made me want to puke.

Depressing and gory and just holy shit.

I need like a month long break from this show but... I... can't...

I gotta know what happens next. That was a good episode

ALSO is it just me or is dany totally overreacting. youd think after more than a year with the guy as your right hand man youd figure he wasn't all that bad.

then again, this is game of thrones and you can't trust anyone sooo...
Watch "Inside the Episode" on HBO to see the reasoning behind his banishment.

I knew as soon as Oberyn was flaunting that spear he was dead. I was still in shock though, I have hope that Tyrion lives somehow, but man I shouldn't expect that.

Kraftwerk

I thought he was going to live :"(

As soon as the mountain pierced into his eyes, I thought Oberyn would somehow stab him and continue life as a blind spearman.

Oh well

:"(

For the right price of course. But he's been already bought. Staking everything he gained (marriage to a highborn lady, a castle of his own) just so he can bust out Tyrion is against his selfish character. Besides, Cersei already foresaw this scenario which is why she bought him out in the first place.

Tyrion is doomed ;( The faster we are at peace with that expectation, the better it is for us.

Here's hoping that Jamie reaches deep into the family riches to offer Bronn with something better, remove him from the city and protect him. Maybe he'll even go along with them, the 3 amigos, those would be some interesting conversations....But it'l never happen, sadly.

Herne

I am not happy with this episode. As soon as he came dancing out, I knew it... and it happened. He was too great a character to lose so early, dammit!

I thought he was going to live :"(

As soon as the mountain pierces into his eyes, I thought Oberyn would somehow stab him and continue live as a blind spearman.

Oh well

:"(
Yeah didn't expect him to die. I was hoping/thinking he was going to get out somehow and then, POP. Done.

Man, what a shitty way to go out in front of your lover.

I'm guessing the mountain is dead and it's called a tie.

Tyrion fights on his own behalf; as part of a rematch. I have no idea who the opponent would be; but I imagine Tyrion finds a way to cheat his way out of this one.

MG310

Somebody should get Hafbor Bjornsson one of those ballistics dummies from Deadliest Warrior to see if he can really do that.

It's exactly the sort of dick move Tywin would pull. He neuters the biggest threat to his rule without having to do much of anything. He got Dany to fuck herself up the ass.

Yeah, didn't in the previous episode Tywin ask Varis if he still had spies in Mareen and the scene ended with him being handed his quill?

Tyrion fights on his own behalf; as part of a rematch. I have no idea who the opponent would be; but I imagine Tyrion finds a way to cheat his way out of this one.
Not sure if Mountain is dead at all. Hell I think he will recover.

Besides, Tywin already declared Tyrion to be executed as the judge of the trial. There's no wiggle room in the sentence.

Trial by combat is whoever wins first. The Mountain won, hence why Tywin ruled the way he did.

Also, episode 9 is typically the biggie. They may have switched it up this season, or Tyrion is really going to die, since that would be a big enough death for the penultimate episode.

UglyPony

Fucking hell. So good. I believed Oberyn won but...... this, this was for some odd reason so unexpected and brutal.

Sansa finally had enough of being the victim and starting to play the game. Went from night to day so fast.

Jonm1010

Banned
This show man! This show :(

Of course my new favorite character they kill off in such a heartbreaking way. And if my all time favorite character dies in response I don't even know :/

...on another note I am really starting to not like Danearas. I don't know if she is just being written poorly but she is starting to seem somewhat irrational and tyrannical. Yeah she's done a lot of honorable things but she seems she's about one or two steps from becoming quite a bad person. Her treatment of Jorah just came off completely illogical.

hydruxo

It takes alot to get me shook AND I knew what was coming, but man, that was even more brutal than I thought it'd be. The teeth hitting the concrete, Oberyn's scream, his head actually exploding, and then seeing the aftermath. That was truly gruesome.

That ending was stupid, it's like this show is just trying too hard to be shocking now. Lame fight.
Yes, they're purposely going against GRRM's writting to make the plot points negative instead of posivite. You genius, you've figured it out!

also

WHAT TEH FCK?! Man, I was so confident Oberyn was going to kill him, but when he was drinking before.. and then smiling during the fight.. and then smiling after losing his spear.. I was worried. Then he stabbed him, and I was happy. and then GodofWar.gif

Goodby Oberyn :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom