• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanke__

I was 100% convinced Oberon would win and it was amazing.
Crazier than the red wedding. But I called that the second Rob got married.

Angry Fork

Daenerys hasn't been stopped by any major obstacles

Daenerys isn't part of the good guys. She's a less sadistic female Joffrey. How people think she's good is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in the GOT fanbase.

She reluctantly free's slaves as a pragmatic necessity to getting back a throne that she was lucky enough to be born into. (And doesn't free them, they're now her slaves.) For 2 seasons she had no experience in anything and did nothing at all to be worthy of being a queen or leader of anything, but she still has a 'right' to it because aristocratic nonsense and orders around everyone who actually knows what they're doing. And anyone who says no to this spoiled brat has to be punished/killed.

I can't even get into the stockholm syndrome issues, suddenly loving and caring about her rapist Drogo and making him into some kind of martyr. And nobody seems to question this at all, it's the weirdest thing. She is Marie Antoinette, the unsullied should've laid the guillotine to her a long time ago.

It feels like the only reason people think she's good is because she's a 'strong' woman. Arya and Brienne are infinitely more interesting and strong than she could ever be, and have actually earned and bled on their own for their victories. I really hope she dies but for some reason this show portrays her like she's some positive force and not another Cersei Lannister which she obviously is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree completely that I want the old Lion dead by the end of the series, but I still love every moment he spends on screen. Dance is spectacular.

I want Tyrion to do the deed, he deserves the honor. I won't accept anyone else at this point, except maybe Arya.

Horrible episode aside from the end fight. It seemed like a lot of filler to stretch it out. Not to mention the terrible dialog throughout the episode.
That whole bit where Tyrion and Jamie talk about the half-wit who smashed beetles, Jamie confessing a Maester tried to touch him? Then Arya laughing when she finds out her Aunt is dead? wtf.
Worst episode of the season imo, the fight was good but it was only 5 minutes out of 50ish.

I thought the Jamie and Tyrion scene about the bugs was the best conversation of the whole season, maybe my favorite scene of the whole season.

mm04

I feel like Wile E. Coyote. I keep getting that anvil dropped on my head season after season. I don't learn, apparently.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I knew it was coming. I knew he was going to lose.... but...

Switch.gif

Ugh, that was gruesome.....RIP Oberyn

LOL @ Arya cracking up at the Vale....

Maybe something happens and Tyrion will be able to escape with his head

Braag

That was one of the most graphic murders I've seen on television. Oberyn was a cool character, he grew on me throughout the season. You don't get to be called the mountain by letting people kill you, I seriously doubted he could kill that huge fucker and part of me thinks he will live. Fucking grizzly.

Oberyn could've easily killed Mountain if he kept his mouth shut and just finished the job. Goddammit!

jond76

Banned
Haha. Pretty nuts. Oberyns death was shot perfectly. Juuuust long enough to make you think, "oh he may get out of thissssssssss. Nope."

The only other tv death that I felt that way for in recent years was
Dales death on The Walking Dead
. Same thing: Ooooohhh hang in there! Do something!! Ahhhh.. AHHHHHH!!! SHIT!"

That shit was rough.

Daenerys isn't part of the good guys. She's a less sadistic female Joffrey. How people think she's good is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in the GOT fanbase.

She reluctantly free's slaves as a pragmatic necessity to getting back a throne that she was lucky enough to be born into. (And doesn't free them, they're now her slaves.) For 2 seasons she had no experience in anything and did nothing at all to be worthy of being a queen or leader of anything, but she still has a 'right' to it because aristocratic nonsense and orders around everyone who actually knows what they're doing. And anyone who says no to this spoiled brat has to be punished/killed.

I can't even get into the stockholm syndrome issues, suddenly loving and caring about her rapist Drogo and making him into some kind of martyr. And nobody seems to question this at all, it's the weirdest thing. She is Marie Antoinette, the unsullied should've laid the guillotine to her a long time ago.

It feels like the only reason people think she's good is because she's a 'strong' woman. Arya and Brienne are infinitely more interesting and strong than she could ever be, and have actually earned and bled on their own for their victories. I really hope she dies but for some reason this show portrays her like she's some positive force and not another Cersei Lannister which she obviously is.

Quoting because everyone should read this gem of a comment.

Agree with everything, except she's not smart enough to be another Cersei Lannister.

jond76

Banned
Ha. I also expected for Tyrion to snatch a sword up, run over to the mountain, and stab him in the throat while he was down. Haha.

If Tyrion were a Tolkien Dwarf he would have split the mountain in two, and none of this would have happened.
My boy Oberyn would be rocking that cute blond twinks world right now instead of being scooped up by his girlfriend. :(

Boose

Didn't really care for the Dany stuff in this episode. Felt a bit contrived that she would just toss Jorah out like that without letting him truly explain himself after everything.

Loved dark Sansa, loved Arya laughing her ass off at the Hound.
If I don't get a Stark meetup in the next couple episodes I'm gonna lose my shit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wearing light armor and spear works in Dark Souls... So does lowering your guard when you think you won.

This was basically a Dark Souls fight.

someone should make a proper gif with stamina bars and health bars, ending with YOU DIED.
Hahaha yes this needs to happen. I thought the same thing when watching. Dex vs str!

What do you mean turning evil? It's an outfit, not a new personality.
Not to mention, it just seemed like a regular mourning outfit to me. Her aunt died after all...

Complistic

I love the idea of sansa going dark side. If I had to watch her play the hostage wife one more time I was going to lose it.

The fight was fantastic. Had no idea who was going to come out on top. Even with the mountain lying on his back.

Kisaya

Oof

A little glad they didn't drag out Oberyn's story otherwise I would have been too attached, and this would have hurt a lot more.

Nonetheless it was such a shame. So much build up for nothing.

Meh. I'm okay now.

I don't get it - does she not offer every slave a choice to disperse or join her as a free man or woman?

Not that I'm terribly in love with her character, but she's hardly a "female Joffrey". Agreed that I' love to see her die though, it would firmly cement the show's overwhelming message that heroes die.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The series is notorious for this though. I'm sure many more horrible things are on the horizon.

That's why GRRM always wears that hat, to shield him from the never ending tears.

Yeah but it's like a Christian Rapture going on in there. If the good guys are being slaughtered wholesale like this, and the most vile and heinous of people are being allowed to run amok, why would I be invested in what happens there anymore? In the last season and a half, this show went from having a situation where the North (Starks) and the Riverlands (Tullys) teamed up against the West (Lannister) and the Reach (Tyrells), and the latter two also duked it out with the Stormlands (Baratheons). The Vale (House Arryn) and Dorne (Martells) making up the remaining of the great houses and regions effectively sat on the sidelines. Now the North (Boltons), the Riverlands (Freys), the West and the Reach are all loyal to the crown. The Vale is about to be under the thumb of Littlefinger, and Stannis Baratheon is like the Sick Man of Westeros.

Dorne alone stands unmolested, and we don't know what's going on there other than they want to be left alone. Would be interesting to see how they react to Prince Oberyn's demise, but even they can't be stupid to go up against an almost united Iron Throne.

What do you mean turning evil? It's an outfit, not a new personality.

If anything she's just learning the power of shaping events to suit her needs. I really don't see anything evil there.

It's supposed to be symbolic of a change in attitude for her. She's shifting from being an innocent naive little dumb ass to a scheming manipulator. These symbols are pretty typical in film, but it's usually less obvious.

Dr.Acula

Banned
For 2 seasons she had no experience in anything and did nothing at all to be worthy of being a queen or leader of anything, but she still has a 'right' to it because aristocratic nonsense

For one, she controls (at least up til now) three dragons. As for why she has her followers? They watched her walk out of a funeral pyre like it was a sauna.

I think the mountain lives if only because he's been so hyped up yet has had so little time, unless they cut his arc for the show.

Tyrion may die, because while Peter Dinklage may be very popular, when GRRM was writing the books, every character is just a device for him, so all the characters are subject to his whims. He probably gets some fan mail and had a general sense of who was popular, but I don't think he was influenced at all by the public.

I remember JK Rowling talking about how when the movies started coming out, it did affect how she approached writing the last installments of her books. I wonder is GRRM will go the same way? I hope not, I've heard that he has the whole series basically plotted, at least the broad strokes, and hopefully he keeps his original vision.

ramparter

Banned
OK I feel worse than what I felt after red wedding. Da fuq was that. he f... Crushed his head. I expected Oberyn to be better and also feared something would go wrong. I wish I was wrong.. The fight was sort but good. Why end it that way. I feel worse for Oberyn that Tyrion. I liked him, I wanted to see him getting his revenge.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't get it - does she not offer every slave a choice to disperse or join her as a free man or woman?

Not that I'm terribly in love with her character, but she's hardly a "female Joffrey". Agreed that I' love to see her die though, it would firmly cement the show's overwhelming message that heroes die.

She's not much of a hero though. Heroes don't do half the shit she's done. She's got no empathy nor any sense of mercy for the vanquished.

I think the only hero in this story is Jon Snow.

BadAss2961

Arya laughing when she finds out her Aunt is dead? wtf.
Didn't bother me since Arya is being molded into a killer.

After witnessing her father's beheading and being right there as nearly the rest of her immediate family was killed, the death of an Aunt that she probably barely knew wouldn't have much effect on her. Now she can laugh at all the trouble The Hound has gone through only to have to turn back yet again. Makes sense.

What a fascinating perspective on Daenerys. On the D&D scale, I'd always considered her near the extreme end of 'good', where Joffery, The Mountain, and Little Finger fall into the opposite end of evil. While I definitely don't agree with you, it's still an interesting look at that character.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Horrible episode aside from the end fight. It seemed like a lot of filler to stretch it out. Not to mention the terrible dialog throughout the episode.
That whole bit where Tyrion and Jamie talk about the half-wit who smashed beetles, Jamie confessing a Maester tried to touch him? Then Arya laughing when she finds out her Aunt is dead? wtf.
Worst episode of the season imo, the fight was good but it was only 5 minutes out of 50ish.
You seem like you watch things just for the plot. You might consider just reading the Wiki and moving on.

Personally, I thought the laugh was a perfect character moment.

The beetle conversation? Man,,, I thought that was pretty poetic forshadowing myself.

OK I feel worse than what I felt after red wedding. Da fuq was that. he f... Crushed his head. I expected Oberyn to be better and also feared something would go wrong. I wish I was wrong.. The fight was sort but good. Why end it that way. I feel worse for Oberyn that Tyrion. I liked him, I wanted to see him getting his revenge.

I don't feel like Oberyn had much left to live for. I feel like all he was living for was the revenge... and his "poisoned blade" (maybe) did that. So I don't know, I feel worse for Tyrion.

inky

Welp, Oberyn jobbed just like I was expecting him to because no one who seeks such obvious justice in this world gets it, but damn, that was fucking brutal. I was not ready for that scene.

Oh well. Say bye bye to your head Tyrion =/

I knew it.

I said it as soon as he was introduced.

"Well, I like Oberyn, so there's no way he's going to make it very long." I told everyone I knew. What a stupid fucking way to die.

And sure enough.

Pacing of the episode was a little weird. This season has been kinda lackluster to me compared to the other ones. The show is still fantastic, but.. I guess things just haven't been hitting me as hard. I dunno.

I guess it'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised, but, well. Nice knowing you, Tyrion.

Herne

One of the most infuriating things is that Oberyn could've taken him at any stage he wanted to. When he knocked off his helmet - he was directly behind the Mountain, and could have stuck his spear through his completely unguarded neck. He wanted that damn confession, and that's what killed him. And it wasn't even necessary! He even pointed Tywin out himself, and everybody knows it was Tywin who ordered Elia's death. Poor Ellaria... her scream was the cherry at the top of a very bitter cake.

Possible spoiler -

Oberyn was well versed in poisons, and knew how to use them well. Even if the Mountain miraculously survives from his very potent wounds, I wonder how long he'll live...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom