• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Daenerys isn't part of the good guys. She's a less sadistic female Joffrey. How people think she's good is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen in the GOT fanbase.

She reluctantly free's slaves as a pragmatic necessity to getting back a throne that she was lucky enough to be born into. (And doesn't free them, they're now her slaves.) For 2 seasons she had no experience in anything and did nothing at all to be worthy of being a queen or leader of anything, but she still has a 'right' to it because aristocratic nonsense and orders around everyone who actually knows what they're doing. And anyone who says no to this spoiled brat has to be punished/killed.

I can't even get into the stockholm syndrome issues, suddenly loving and caring about her rapist Drogo and making him into some kind of martyr. And nobody seems to question this at all, it's the weirdest thing. She is Marie Antoinette, the unsullied should've laid the guillotine to her a long time ago.

It feels like the only reason people think she's good is because she's a 'strong' woman. Arya and Brienne are infinitely more interesting and strong than she could ever be, and have actually earned and bled on their own for their victories. I really hope she dies but for some reason this show portrays her like she's some positive force and not another Cersei Lannister which she obviously is.

Now I'm 100% convinced that some Dany haters have some sort of worm frolicking about in their brains. Only thing that explains this mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd who keep showing dismay at games with female protagonists (that recent thread with the Guerrilla Games RPG rumour) and the crowd that show incredibly weird Dany hate (where they can't even remember details from the show properly) overlap. Would Dany get this same hate if she had a dick and balls and was named David?

Eight episodes was more than enough for Oberyn to cement himself as an awesome character in my mind.

:/

Man, two months were not enough. I wonder if people who will binge watch the season in a few months would have less time to form a bond with the character, or the fact that they have him for less time will make it worse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That part with Grey Worm though. If they hadn't removed my twig and berries I'd never meet you Missandei. Pure cheese.

Well we know he got castrated, but we don't know if they took both his rod and his tackle. Maybe they just took the tackle and he can still go fishing. Not that he could catch anything.

Now I'm 100% convinced that some Dany haters have some sort of worm frolicking about in their brains. Only thing that explains this mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the crowd who keep showing dismay at games with female protagonists (that recent thread with the Guerrilla Games RPG rumour) and the crowd that show incredibly weird Dany hate (where they can't even remember details from the show properly) overlap. Would Dany get this same hate if she had a dick and balls and was named David?

Yes.

Ifrit

LLShC.gif

Fucking ending, why didn't Oberyn just incapacitated the mountain's hands or something before getting too close to him.

GoT gotta GoT

I'm just going to assume Tyrion is dead unless the show proves me otherwise

Garland7G

You seem like you watch things just for the plot. You might consider just reading the Wiki and moving on.

Personally, I thought the laugh was a perfect character moment.

The beetle conversation? Man,,, I thought that was pretty poetic forshadowing myself.

Nah, I've already read all the books, so I know the plot. It just seemed like that time could have been better spent elsewhere in the story. Same goes for the molestown scene in the beginning.

That's ridiculous. I love Daeny, but be honest with yourself. She's not an angel. She quite evil.

If she had a dick and balls. How about if she wasn't pretty would she get a pass for what she does?

rando14

It's not necessarily sexist, Dany is easily a polarizing character. In such a harsh world where people die over the smallest things, here you have a teenager who is entitled beyond belief. It's very easy to dislike her.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Dany hate each week in this thread is so fucking ridiculous and tired at this point it's bound to become a meme. Comparing her to the vilest Lannisters now, I mean really? Really?!

You don't like her story/character/actress whatever, that's fine. More than fine. But try not jumping the shark with the bullshit.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Oh hell yeah. 90% of people in this show are awful, men and women. If anything, Dany gets a pass for being a beautiful woman. I kinda agree that Dany is at least a little evil. Honestly, I can't think of a claimant to the throne that's good. I like Snow, but he's not after the throne.

BadAss2961

I can't even get into the stockholm syndrome issues, suddenly loving and caring about her rapist Drogo and making him into some kind of martyr. And nobody seems to question this at all, it's the weirdest thing.
Khal's rape was just "The Dothraki way." She grew to love him, and even softened him a bit as he grew to love her. Unlike her brother, Khal did nothing but treat her right after she came around to him.

Madrin

That visual is definitely going to haunt me. Television violence very rarely bothers me, but that was beyond disturbing.

This is exactly how I feel. Honestly it was the most visceral reaction I've had to a death scene in a long time, and I just marathoned the first two seasons of Hannibal. The Red Wedding was a more shocking moment, but the sheer gruesomeness of Oberyn's death is going to stay with me much longer.

Well the ruling Prince of Dorne now has both a brother and a sister die at the hands of the Mountain and the Lannisters.

1. I think Kings Landing gets a pass due to trial by combat and not straight up murder/assassination.
2. It's not clear to me anyone else heard the confession. In reality the screams probably would have drowned out the Mountain's confession.

Now the if the confession was heard Dorn is now a real player.

One of the most infuriating things is that Oberyn could've taken him at any stage he wanted to. When he knocked off his helmet - he was directly behind the Mountain, and could have stuck his spear through his completely unguarded neck. He wanted that damn confession, and that's what killed him. And it wasn't even necessary! He even pointed Tywin out himself, and everybody knows it was Tywin who ordered Elia's death. Poor Ellaria... her scream was the cherry at the top of a very bitter cake.

Possible spoiler -

Oberyn was well versed in poisons, and knew how to use them well. Even if the Mountain miraculously survives from his very potent wounds, I wonder how long he'll live...

Hopefully long enough to get decapitated, flayed, or roasted alive(preferably by The Hound)
The horrible murdering wildling cannibals ain't got nothing on The Mountain right now. I hate him with a passion.

BearPawB

Banned
Really wonder where the show goes next season. Things have just felt so...final.

Although i guess the game of thrones never truly ends.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That's ridiculous. I love Daeny, but be honest with yourself. She's not an angel. She quite evil.

If she had a dick and balls. How about if she wasn't pretty would she get a pass for what she does?

Come on, with the way things go down in the world, killing slavers has got to be the least evil kill order a person in position of power has done. Maybe I have wrong definition of evil than most. If she's evil for her actions concerning the slavers, than everyone in this show who wields power is evil. Hell even Arya is evil for killing without the authority of the law. It starts getting absurd.

Well we know he got castrated, but we don't know if they took both his rod and his tackle. Maybe they just took the tackle and he can still go fishing. Not that he could catch anything.

Yes.

It's not necessarily sexist, Dany is easily a polarizing character. In such a harsh world where people die over the smallest things, here you have a teenager who is entitled beyond belief. It's very easy to dislike her.

I agree with criticising her mistakes, and no one is saying she's an angel. But come on, she's the one character I find that people conveniently make up things about. How can anyone watching the show make some of the comments that were in that post? Reluctantly freeing slaves? Keeping people she's freed as her own slaves? Killing anyone that says she's spoiled? That's not just criticizing, that's making things that don't happen up.

mrjohill

Man I knew what was going to happen right when oberyn had the mountain on his back and didn't take him out...but the sheer brutality of the kill was crazy

Braag

I don't think it's that bad.
I've always rooted for Dany and really liked her up until this episode and how she handled Jorah who has stood by her longer than anyone else... How can she not see that they are just trying to divide them just like Jorah said.

Z..

Nah, I've already read all the books, so I know the plot. It just seemed like that time could have been better spent elsewhere in the story. Same goes for the molestown scene in the beginning.

"better spent elsewhere in the story"

You're cementing his point that all you care about is the plot. I've read the books as well, and scenes like that one are exactly what make adapting things a worthwhile endeavour. Probably one of the best scenes ever since the show started and it went completely above your head because you're "obsessed" about the plot progression.

The allegory was masterfully crafted. And the delivery was spot on.

Also, Arya's burst of laughter was a standout moment of character development.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Come on, with the way things go down in the world, killing slavers has got to be the least evil thing imaginable.

I agree with criticising her mistakes, and no one is saying she's an angel. But come on, she's the one character I find that people conveniently make up things about. How can anyone watching the show make some of the comments that were in that post? Reluctantly freeing slaves? Keeping people she's freed as her own slaves? Killing anyone that says she's spoiled? That's not just criticizing, that's making things that don't happen up.

That stuff I'll agree with, but she is very entitled and doesn't have much empathy nor compassion for those she conquers. She's all "I'm a Targaryen and I've got dragons so I should rule Westeros," not thinking about what ruling really means or even if the people really want her to invade and take over. Her entire plot arc is driven by her sense of entitlement and naivete. If she takes over without making big changes then it's not going to turn out well for Westeros.

HoodWinked

man oberyn made the mountain look like a complete joke.

but as oberyn was standing above him i had a feeling gregor was gonna pull some dirty shit. oberyn's death was pretty nuts something out of god of war (actually i think it was lol)

maybe tyrion doesnt die...
gregor dies from the wounds and some technically prevents tyrion from being sentenced to death?

inky

Well, kids, I hope you learned your lesson. Next time you have your enemy on the ground ready to die don't fucking stand beside him and look somewhere else all high and mighty. They might still do your head in >.<

Jado

Banned
Can they take some creative liberties and omit Daenerys from the show? I pretty much hate everything about her story line right now. Made worse by the fact that Emilia Clark is an insufferable actress. The only redeeming aspect of her arc tonight was Nathalie Emmanuel.

Yeah, she's incredibly awful. The Jorah scene would've been perfect with everyone BUT Emilia/Daenerys shitting up the place. It's jarring how much better everyone around her is at that thing called "acting."

I knew the Oberyn death was coming, but I was secretly hoping the outcome would somehow be different. The show has played out quite a bit differently and I was hanging on to that 0.0001% chance he wouldn't die. :(

Dinklage proved again he's the best actor on this show with his beetles story. People are insisting Tyrion can't die "because plot." This is the show that stunned everyone by killing off its biggest, most recognizable star and lead character in season 1. Never compromise on the fact that anyone may die at any time, and you won't end up as heartbroken by the horror that is this show.

The beetle conversation? Man,,, I thought that was pretty poetic forshadowing myself.

I thought the episode was pretty darn great. That beetle conversation, though...? ugh. Felt like it was killing time. To me, it didn't feel like foreshadowing, nor was it revelatory about character. It just felt like an insert for two great actors to monologue because they needed to fill a gap. For me, it was one of the few times they've taken a liberty on the show (I don't remember this scene in the books, but I could be wrong), and it didn't necessarily pan out. Normally GoT monologues are fantastic little morsels. The Oberon/Tyrion 'underwhelming' monster monologue was beautiful (and directly from the books).

As someone previously said, I'd have rather they filled the time with a scene of Oberon announcing his intentions to Cersei and Tywin.

Regardless, it's nitpicking. Still a fantastic episode.

#team Nathalie Emmanuel and ObamaSullied

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I was entirely confident that Oberyn had this, and in the moment of his death I was super upset. Now though, I am reminded of why I dislike the show boat characters. Sandor is my favorite because I feel like had he been in the same place as the mountain, he would have had the same, "Get it over with and kill me, or I am going to shut your mouth permanently" type outlook.

The mountain might die, but that finishing combo was awesome.

Angry Fork

I don't get it - does she not offer every slave a choice to disperse or join her as a free man or woman?

Not that I'm terribly in love with her character, but she's hardly a "female Joffrey". Agreed that I' love to see her die though, it would firmly cement the show's overwhelming message that heroes die.

She shouldn't be in a position to give people an ultimatum in the first place. And free men/women choose their destiny, make their own decisions, which nobody can do under her 'rule'. Everything is muh laydee, kneeling before Zod the imperialist.

What a fascinating perspective on Daenerys. On the D&D scale, I'd always considered her near the extreme end of 'good', where Joffery, The Mountain, and Little Finger fall into the opposite end of evil. While I definitely don't agree with you, it's still an interesting look at that character.

For Daenerys to be good to me she would need to

A. Learn to take up a sword and fight with her armies she claims she cares about so much. Remember she's not on some humanitarian journey, this is all about her supposed 'right' to a throne. If she could get her throne back without freeing slaves she'd do it in a heart beat and leave them in the cages to rot.
B. Stop giving orders on things she knows nothing about, and everyone allowed to have control over their own lives.
C. No more aristocratic titles/slave terms forced on those "below" her.
D. Eat, sleep, and shit in the same areas her slaves do (I mean the "free" men that must do everything she says or risk crucifixion). No fancy clothes, pampers and towers that someone else got for her.

Ideally none of this would be needed if she simply stopped acting like she deserved a right to any throne. Then she'd just be a normal person, which of course is much too degrading and unfathomable for those of the lucky classes, so that can't happen.

Arya and Brienne are 2 of my fav characters. Like I said, I'm convinced the love for Daenerys is based on misplaced feminism rather than actually looking at her character as it is.

And Stannis is basically Daenerys with a dick and balls, and I hate him too.

Khal's rape was just "The Dothraki way." She grew to love him, and even softened him a bit as he grew to love her. Unlike her brother, Khal did nothing but treat her right after she came around to him.

How do people not find this morally repugnant. After she came around to him, not rape rape, just rape.

But I'm a sexist if I don't defend Daenerys right to capitulate to such evil? Does this make any sense? lol

The best feminist heroes on this show are Arya and Brienne, and they deserve every bit of it. Daenerys is as much an entitled brat as Joffrey.

I thought the episode was pretty darn great. That beetle conversation, though...? ugh. Felt like it was killing time. To me, it didn't feel like foreshadowing, nor was it revelatory about character. It just felt like an insert for two great actors to monologue because they needed to fill a gap. For me, it was one of the few times they've taken a liberty on the show
(I don't remember this scene in the books, but I could be wrong),
and it didn't necessarily pan out. Normally GoT monologues are fantastic little morsels.
The Oberon/Tyrion 'underwhelming' monster monologue was beautiful (and directly from the books).
As someone previously said, I'd have rather they filled the time with a scene of Oberon announcing his intentions to Cersei and Tywin.

Regardless, it's nitpicking. Still a fantastic episode.

#team Nathalie Emmanuel and ObamaSullied

It was a foreshadowing though, because the fight answered their question as to why their cousin did it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I need therapy. Episode was too much.

Everyone is dying left and right. I can't

Great episode, didn't see that coming at all, wow. Genuinely shocked

demolitio

I hope we get to follow up with The Mountain next week and see what happens to him. I don't think Tywin will be happy with what he said at the end there since he's always been very keen on keeping those things out of people's minds.

Poor Jorah. He finally says he loves her at the worst possible moment and now he's going away. Maybe Stannis can pick him up along the way back to Westeros.

Also, I really hope I get to see Tywin die this season like I've been half-predicting, half-begging for because as much as I like his badassery, his death would really accelerate a lot of character plots and would hopefully lead to Cersei's downfall as well. The foreshadowing has been there earlier this season and it just makes sense for the story, but I'm really hoping it's not something that will happen next season. We need to balance out the deaths again...

Cheap

Neo Member
The long speech about the simpleton and the beetles being smashed I thought was pointless. Then I realized the characters are the beetles and RR Martin is the guy killing them off nonstop.

I thought the whole beetle speech between Tyrion and Jaime was a sort of allegory for how the gods seemed to consider mortals. Considering right before they were speaking about how a trial by battle was a way of finding out which side the gods were on. In this case the gods were the simpleton and the beetles men as they seem to stamp out lives with no rhyme or reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom