• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oberyn vs. Mountain summary:
1156.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Goddamnit.

If GRRM has a hard on for killing main characters could he not kill the ones that are actually cool? Kill of that whiny boring fuckwit Jon Snow. Or idiotic malcontent Dany. Every scene those two are in drags the show down several notches.

Just off them and leave us the likes of Oberyn.

I've noticed a pattern. Anyone who gets close to messing with the Lannisters in a big way, ends up dead.

• Ned finds out Cersei cheated on the King with her brother, and is about to tell the king...BAM DEAD!
  • Jon Arryn found out the exact same thing Ned did but did it earlier...BAM DEAD!
  • Robb about to make a big play against the Lannister seat of power...BAM DEAD!
  • Prince Oberyn about to publically hang the murder of his sister and her kids on Tywin Lannister...BAM DEAD!
Either the Lannisters have some incredible luck in always squeezing by, have some extremely favorable god or force looking out for them, or this is some shitty ass writing for this to continuously happen like this.

Arcayne

Imagine how eerily appropriate it would've been had they had aired this last week on Memorial Day.

Pour one out for the homie Oberyn.

ramparter

Banned
To people suggesting a draw, the way I see it, Mountain was alive when Oberyn "died", that's a clear win for me, the battle is finished.

And I guess that even the rules are like that since the moment Oberyn was clearly dead, Tywin stood up and announced the sentence.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Please don't start this.... This show is extremely polarizing, there are going to be people that don't like certain characters. Even Tyrion had haters in the first season for some of the lines he had. Very few if any of these characters are perfect. I like Dany, but I'm not mystified that some people would be less than impressed with the way her character has been written recently. Leaving the cities she liberated, having to be talked down from the torture, and jettisoning a guy who a lot of people like tonight.

Re-fucking-lax please... the last thing I want to see is the crap that plagued Breaking Bad, where if anyone dared dislike Skylar they were a sexist misogynistic asshole. It just KILLED conversation in those threads.
I don't mind people not liking her character or actress. That's all good and fine as I said before. I've been there myself with other popular TV shows.

But if people are gonna bitch and moan about a major character every week religiously like they love to do they need to come to the table with some REAL shit and not the hot garbage I've seen posted here every week.

It's getting to the point that if she farts the wrong way she's not just a rude person that lacks etiquette, no, she's somehow channeling the ghost of Hitler himself. It's getting tired.

She shouldn't be in a position to give people an ultimatum in the first place. And free men/women choose their destiny, make their own decisions, which nobody can do under her 'rule'. Everything is muh laydee, kneeling before Zod the imperialist.

"Work for me or feel free to do your own thing elsewhere" isn't much of an ultimatum. They had their choice and they overwhelmingly chose the protection of Daenerys.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
But it's not an instantaneous death. That's the whole point.
well then I'd say he's dead because he has a lethal wound and his part in the story is over. I suspect he'll be announced as dead next episode and we wont be wasting any more time on him.

farisr

I don't know, but if he does die, I'm done.

I've said this before as well, if he dies, then that's most likely it for me. But there's hope, since this goes for the unexpected, and at this point it is expected that Tyrion is going to die, I have a feeling that he will live/escape. Just a hunch.

As others have mentioned, he is basically the moral center of the show.

I was getting happy when Oberyn was dancing all around the Mountain. But then i remembered its Game of Thrones and nothing good is going to happen.

I was prepared for Oberyn to die, but wtf man the eyes!?!?! Nothing can prepare you for that shit. Goddam it.

Garland7G

"better spent elsewhere in the story"

You're cementing his point that all you care about is the plot. I've read the books as well, and scenes like that one are exactly what make adapting things a worthwhile endeavour. Probably one of the best scenes ever since the show started and it went completely above your head because you're "obsessed" about the plot progression.

The allegory was masterfully crafted. And the delivery was spot on.

Also, Arya's burst of laughter was a standout moment of character development.

That's fine, I just thought it was unnecessary. What's the purpose of foreshadowing something that happens in the next scene. My main gripe with it, is that it dragged on too long.
And no way that was one of the best scenes ever. The exchange between Littlefinger and Varys from season one was much better (and it wasn't in the books either) so, I'm not all about plot. ;)
Anyways, we can agree to disagree.

I doubt anyone of the main cast would have a chance. Really only reason oberyn did was he was a spear user. You get within mountains range and you're fucked.

Yeah *sigh* I think you're right. He is too strong.
I am confident that the Mountain didnt die after that fight. Now there is a chance for The Hound to eventually kill him.

potam

Banned
Seriously, 5 hours on and I'm still shook about Oberyn. Ugh. The fact that he had single handedly embarrassed the Lannisters by easily besting their champion, and with such style and passion, only to be so fucking brutally destroyed when he became drunk with confidence and fervor. And his entire quest was just, and he had such charisma.

#thegooddieyoung

Random thought edit: is Kings Landing like DC, and it just exists in Westeros, or is there a smaller kingdom it leads as well?

Holy damnnnnnn

That ending, though. Oberyn WTF, man! =(

His scream at the end sent chills down my spine. Possibly the most brutal death in the entire show.

Seriously, 5 hours on and I'm still shook about Oberyn. Ugh. The fact that he had single handedly embarrassed the Lannisters by easily besting their champion, and with such style and passion, only to be so fucking brutally destroyed when he became drunk with confidence and fervor. And his entire quest was just, and he had such charisma.

#thegooddieyoung

Random thought edit: is Kings Landing like DC, and it just exists in Westeros, or is there a smaller kingdom it leads as well?

It is very hard to accept as a viewer. This event was probably more shocking for me than the Red Wedding - and I was SHOCKED by that :O

LQX

And everything was going so well....anyway for some reason that beetle story made me laugh my ass off.

potam

Banned
It is very hard to accept as a viewer. This event was probably more shocking for me than the Red Wedding - and I was SHOCKED by that :O

It's weird. I'm honestly more upset about losing that character than I am curious about Tyrion's fate. Red Wedding was strategic, this was just tragic.

Nose Master

I (stupidly) already knew the outcome of the Oberyn v Mountain fight (I was drunk and pestered a friend.) Even still, I was hoping he was fucking with me.

Other random points:

-Sansa was lookin' goooood.
-Hound better not die from a fucking infection like a bitch. Drogo dying to that was bad enough.
-Didn't see the thing coming with Jorah.

Also I feel dumb asking but, what was the point of the beetle story? The symbolism was lost on me.

nomis

saw this on the misc:

About to get fuked in the blackwater by stannis? Nope tywin puts in a last minute cheat code and in come the tyrell's with unlimited ships and money to help save the day. How do i get rid of robb stark in season 3? I'll just scheme some hail mary play with roose and waldy to kill off all the starks at a wedding without losing a single person on my side. My grandson joffrey gets poisoned. No big deal we'll have his younger, more aesthetic, kinder, smarter brother become king and not a single fuk was given

dying

LOL jesus christ

Thank you, this takes the edge off... a little bit.

Espi

Banned
Arya scene was perfect. Sansa finally grows up.

#TeamStark

It was obvious Oberyn was gonna die. He had too much swag for the show.

fallagin

Fuck, was sort of expecting that when he was trying to get him to say the name. Poor Oberyn :(
Poor Tyrion :(

Edit: Well not really expecting it, but thought it was a possibility. Was really sudden though, fuck.

Its gonna suck so bad if tyrion will really die.. the dynamic w/in kings landing characters will get that much uninteresting w/ tyrion out of the picture.

I imagine tyrion can use his knowledge as a coins guy to live again. Like he can convince someone he can help his family get rid of its debt. But begging is not tyrions way of surving so this is still pretty unlikely. Fuckin jaime better nut the fuck up and save his bro.

ramparter

Banned
Also I feel dumb asking but, what was the point of the beetle story? The symbolism was lost on me.
I think that was Oberyn's biggest mistake actually. He lost a battle trying to take a false confession out of the Mountain. The Mountain had no order, he is just the Mountain, I think he raped her, and he murdered her and he killed her children just because he is who he is. Just like the stubborn guy crushing the beetles.

PS. I don't think that Sansa got Dark, just smarter.

Angry Fork

Oh. My. God.

So people are shitting on Dany because she's "entitled"? Have you people been watching this show? Almost every god damn character has entitlement issues. The show is called GAME OF THRONES. It's centered around people who feel entitled to power and their obsessions.

jesus fuck

Tyrion is entitled, but he has done honorable things for people he didn't have to, not in order to gain something but for it's own good. He has fought in battles and is often brave and selfless. He is realistic about who he is and doesn't try to be a perfect altruistic gem but he's not the type to punish people for refusing to bow down to him.

Tywin is a shit heel but he has fought in battles for whatever he claims he should have. The Stark's are (were) generally all brave honorable people who have refused to be hypocritical about who they are.

Jaime lost a hand for Brienne and potentially his life in the bear pit, Oberyn just lost his life for his families honor, Sansa was a shithead and potential Daenerys until she became brutally victimized/tortured by the royalty class and now realizes how foolish she was. I know there are others I'm forgetting right now.

I have no idea what Daenerys has given up for what she claims is hers (and none of you have explained/justified why she has a right to the throne besides being lucky.) In season 1 I liked and sympathized with her because she was a victim of brutal tyrants who were going to use her for their own power, she was raped and had no way out.

Then she took a turn for the worse by loving her rapist, going on pillaging adventures with them and I could no longer understand the characters appeal as a 'good guy'. If she killed her rapist, ran away, got the dragons, and then went on a humanitarian tour of duty to free other slaves (without any claims to a throne), she'd be amazing and I'd love her, but that's not what has happened. She wants to rule over other people she feels are inferior to her, because of her last name, and she will do whatever is necessary to get that. (Actually she'll do nothing, she'll tell others to and if they refuse then walkie talkie the dragons.)

Like I said before, I made up a list of things Daenerys would have to do to be considered good while simultaneously claiming a right to a throne. If you're serious about white knighting for her you should reply to those instead of the broad idea of entitlement, which is generally bad but not the sole reason I don't like Daenerys.

Cloudy

Banned

Didn't really get it either but maybe it means there's no rhyme or reason to why people kill?

Nose Master

I hope Mountain eats it. The most tragic part is that Oberyn dies while that one-dimensional fuck is still alive.

With Tyrian probably dying soon, there's not many characters left that are really great. Jamie's sucked since he lost his hand. Ramsay is about it.

Steez

Damn, that fight.

But what I enjoy the most are all the salty tears and the complaints about "the bad guys always winning".

322e4dd090b5f02b5c09fcfc83b08c3e.jpg

There was a part of me the mountain would yell out Tywin at the end and Oberyn would have chucked his spear right through Tywin's head right there in front of everybody...and then...yeah. This was the most painful death since Ned because I really liked this character and his story.

I hold out hope at least that his spear did end up killing the mountain. At least in that way he would have gotten revenge.

I just can't see Tyrion dying like this. They have been ignoring Stannis too long. Maybe he will come in and fuck some shit up during the execution or something.

Hah, episode didn't even faze me. I totally expected his death at the end of last episode. I've come to expect that type of shit with Game of Thrones. If you like a character, they'll die and likely in some horrible way. The ones you want to see succeed will fail horribly, etc, etc. It is kind of becoming a little cliche at this point.

Angry Fork

There was a part of me the mountain would yell out Tywin at the end and Oberyn would have chucked his spear right through Tywin's head right there in front of everybody...and then...yeah. This was the most painful death since Ned because I really liked this character and his story.

I hold out hope at least that his spear did end up killing the mountain. At least in that way he would have gotten revenge.

I just can't see Tyrion dying like this. They have been ignoring Stannis too long. Maybe he will come in and fuck some shit up during the execution or something.

I thought Oberyn was gonna throw the spear at Tywin too for a moment, that would've been cool. I feel bad for Oberyns girlfriend/wife whoever she is.

I don't think Tyrion will die, at least not now. It feels like every major death on this show has been the result of a 'surprise', quick thing that nobody expects. (Although I was expecting Oberyn to die somehow.) So if Tyrion was to die I don't think it would be through this long built up effort. I only recall Ned being a character who died in that way.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Damn, that fight.

But what I enjoy the most are all the salty tears and the complaints about "the bad guys always winning".

322e4dd090b5f02b5c09fcfc83b08c3e.jpg

Man, for the people that had hitched their rides onto the Lannister bandwagon exclusively from the get go, this show has been Ws all the way through so far. No tangible setbacks, all wins so far. Even stuff like Joffrey's death is a net gain for Team Lannister. they get rid of a hated psychopath and put a much more liked and disciplined individual in his place. If I could go back to 2011 knowing what I know now, I'd love to be a Lannister fan from "ready, set, go", and smugly watch all others cry in despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom