• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if I could handle Tyrion dying

Same. I'm expecting it, but considering how lucky Lanisters seem to be I think theres a miracle off-chance he avoids execution.

IF tyrion is actually killed off i'm thinking of saying fuck it and reading the hell out of the wiki and spoiling the rest of this series. After the showcase of all the characters in todays episode and his monologue tonight, hes the only character left I'm rooting for besides Arya.

Espi

Banned
Amazing post. Gotta be the best salt posts ive seen since ive become a member here lmao.

He has a point though. Lannisters are like Batman. Put into a position they have no business getting out of and OH SHIT ASSPULL

At this point I'm just waiting for the episode where the dragons turn on Daenarys because it's revealed they weren't her dragons. They were Tywin's and they're just making sure she doesn't get close to Westeros.

Angry Fork

Same. I'm expecting it, but considering how lucky Lanisters seem to be I think theres a miracle off-chance he avoids execution.

IF tyrion is actually killed off i'm thinking of saying fuck it and reading the hell out of the wiki and spoiling the rest of this series. After the showcase of all the characters in todays episode and his monologue tonight, hes the only character left I'm rooting for besides Arya.

Same for me. I may be willing to watch for Arya if she meets up with the Valar morgulus guy but if it's just walking around the forest with the hound again for a season I'm not so sure. I think I'd rather just read the rest. But I'm pretty confident at the moment that Tyrion won't die, I may have to eat crow but that's what I'm betting on now.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
He has a point though. Lannisters are like Batman. Put into a position they have no business getting out of and OH SHIT ASSPULL

At this point I'm just waiting for the episode where the dragons turn on Daenarys because it's revealed they weren't her dragons. They were Tywin's and they're just making sure she doesn't get close to Westeros.

This is why the story is becoming a joke to me. No one gets lucky bounces the way the Lannisters and their bros do. For example, for the Red Wedding to have gone down the way it did, took some massive levels of luck. Robb killing Karstark, Robb deciding randomly to invade Casterly Rock, the Edmund agreeing to the marriage, the Tullys not planning the wedding at their seat of power, etc. So many things outside of the Lannister's control that just so neatly fell into place at the right time.

jediyoshi

Am I supposed to realize why Arya was laughing? Scratching my head trying to think of a callback other than the shit always continually piling up on her and her losing it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is why the story is becoming a joke to me. No one gets lucky bounces the way the Lannisters and their bros do. For example, for the Red Wedding to have gone down the way it did, took some massive levels of luck. Robb killing Karstark, Robb deciding randomly to invade Casterly Rock, the Edmund agreeing to the marriage, the Tullys not planning the wedding at their seat of power, etc. So many things outside of the Lannister's control that just so neatly fell into place at the right time.

I figure they can only go so long without taking an L and when it comes, it's going to be a big one. It seems like every game they play has more reward, but also way more risk. One day they'll play the game for all the marbles and take a big L.

Am I supposed to realize why Arya was laughing? Scratching my head trying to think of a callback other than the shit always continually piling up on her and her losing it.

The Hound dragged her all the way there, expecting a big pay off and then nothing. Also he's slowed down since the bite, since he wouldn't let her burn the wound, so maybe if he had manned up they'd have made it.

Angry Fork

I'm assuming because the hound went through so much shit to get a ransom and now may get nothing.

She was laughing at The Hound, he got her out of Kings Landing and all the shit they've been through to get to the Eyrie so he can be shot of her and get money and they find out that Lysa is dead and he won't get any money.

fallagin

This is like way more depressing than the Red Wedding, and I have no idea why, god damnit.

I think it's because red wedding was more of a crazy event and there was lots of hilarity around it. This just happened without book people really sounding the alarm for it. It was just a duel and someone dies and nothing is accomplished for the better.

Steez

Man, for the people that had hitched their rides onto the Lannister bandwagon exclusively from the get go, this show has been Ws all the way through so far. No tangible setbacks, all wins so far. Even stuff like Joffrey's death is a net gain for Team Lannister. they get rid of a hated psychopath and put a much more liked and disciplined individual in his place. If I could go back to 2011 knowing what I know now, I'd love to be a Lannister fan from "ready, set, go", and smugly watch all others cry in despair.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Oberyn was easily one of my favorite characters in the entire series and it's a real shame to see him go, but I was never the guy who complains about the deaths of the good guys. I just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

I think it was because the last time she got so close to reuniting with her blood/family they died too. This is the second time The Hound wont get paid for returning her :D
If she didn't laugh, she'd only have despair - or something?

Braag

I thought it's because they traveled all the way to the Eyrie which took them who knows how long and The Hound's plan all along was to get ransom money from Arya's aunt and they arrive 3 days late since her aunt died and now the Hound is probably not gonna get anything for delivering her there, which made the entire trip for him pointless.

Heshinsi

I figure they can only go so long without taking an L and when it comes, it's going to be a big one. It seems like every game they play has more reward, but also way more risk. One day they'll play the game for all the marbles and take a big L

Who's left to play against though? They've effectively neutralised most threats outside of maybe Dorne and the far North. I don't see Pedofinger rocking the boat any time soon, King Stannis the Bore is busy doing god knows what, and Dany has her own shit to deal with. Team Lannister have no equal at the moment.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
To some of the dumb ass, overly negative criticisms in this thread:

Na9HXLT.gif

I swear to god GAF can you enjoy anything just once. This is the most vile forum.

ron_bato

Damn, damn it all to hell. I knew this was going to happen and yet I had still got my hopes up. Son of a bitch. This one is going to sting.

I pretty much knew from the moment Oberyn started talking about how much he hated Lannisters that he was going to die eventually, so the ending of this week's episode was no surprise to me. Still shocking because of the manner in which he died and shit, but I saw it coming from a mile away.

I'm actually growing extremely weary of GoT as a whole. Doing shocking things every once in a while was cool and kept things interesting, but it really seems like GRRM is trying waaaaayyyy too hard to throw/piss us off (by killing the characters we're supposed to like), so now everything is becoming extremely predictable. I'm starting to grow bored of the show, really. Everybody just dies before they really become fleshed out. The only person that has been really fleshed out that may die at this point is Tyrion.

Maximus.

Man I knew what was going to happen right when oberyn had the mountain on his back and didn't take him out...but the sheer brutality of the kill was crazy

Same here....nothing good ever happens for the good guys and I could see it coming a mile away, though I really hoped it wouldn't. What a brutal and for some reason sad ending. Maybe I am just sick of the Lannisters always winning.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who's left to play against though? They've effectively neutralised most threats outside of maybe Dorne and the far North. I don't see Pedofinger rocking the boat any time soon, King Stannis the Bore is busy doing god knows what, and Dany has her own shit to deal with. Team Lannister have no equal at the moment.

The Tyrells will probably make a move soon enough. If the Lannisters can't secure their cash in a victory then the Iron Bank is going repossess the Iron Throne.

I read the books and even knowing about the end of the duel I got shocked by the violence of the scene.

I was pretty sure that would be different.. but that was serious gore. lol

Man, this show is great.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Stannis just got that Iron Bank cash.

Right there with you. I don't know if I could wade through the rest of the show without Tyrion.

Team Lannister... they're dead broke right now.

Team Stannis has a boat load of coin (literally) and should be massing up an army.

Heshinsi

The Tyrells will probably make a move soon enough. If the Lannisters can't secure their cash in a victory then the Iron Bank is going repossess the Iron Throne.

For that they'd need an army, and the dude with the sub 200 credit score who conned them into giving credit too, is taking that army north. He should probably check the red Witch's vagina to see if it could supply another W for him. Otherwise, I don't see the Iron Bank getting their investment back.

Not to mention all the people they fight are top tier at what they do. Rob Stark is the best strategist in the show, but he decides to hang out as his mom's house for a season before he makes the obvious move of attacking Casterly Rock. Stannis is a proven battle commander, but he gets held back by a dwarf who's only been in one battle. And Oberyn comes out as the best duelist we've seen so far, but he dies even after he won the fight. I have no problem with a story where the villains win, in fact, I've wanted to see a show like that for a long time. But the villains need to earn their victories in plausible ways just like the heroes do. Like I said before, this show is filled with diablo ex machinas.

zkylon

zkylewd
really nasty shit that ending but i thought the rest of the episode was pretty terrible, with little finger getting the cute little nice trial while they're squashing people's heads back in king's landing lol.

the thing of plotlines getting killed just short of being developed annoyed to no end back at season 2 but by now i'm just enjoying the ride, even tho i feel it's pretty bad writing to just leave a bitter taste in your mouth almost every time something big's about to happen.

i hope tyrion doesn't die but i'm prepared for it, as this show made it clear for the get go no one was safe. i'm also expecting there won't be a real payoff and we won't get to see cersei and tywin get what they deserve.

i find that pretty awful but that's kind of what the show's about and the moment i accepted it i started enjoying it

i thought oberyn's death was pretty well done tho, that's a pretty fucking haunting scene and was well worth the pain.

nowhere near close to joffrey's, red wedding was the only episode i actually really really liked of the show

Heshinsi

This is the second time a Stark has had the opportunity to vanquish an enemy of her family, and let the moment slip through her fingers. Arya not selecting Tywin Lannister as her first name, and now Sansa not giving up Littlefinger. And people wonder why the Starks are an endangered species. Team Lannister would never fumble on prime opportunities like that.

The Red Wedding didn't have as much build up and false hope. It was a quick clean cut.

Well, that scene with the old lady flirting with Brynden Black-Fish, the other one with Lord Frey smiling to Robb with the reveal of the gorgeous Roslin Frey and the stupid face that Edmure made.. those little things were classic ingredients for a happy wedding scene, I bet a lot of people was shocked by that end.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For that they'd need an army, and the dude with the sub 200 credit score who conned them into giving credit too, is taking that army north. He should probably check the red Witch's vagina to see if it could supply another W for him. Otherwise, I don't see the Iron Bank getting their investment back.

I'm sure the Iron Bank has enough coin for an army, they've been hyped up pretty hard. Tywin wouldn't give a shit about his debts if he thought they couldn't touch him.

Stannis is going North for the time being, he's the only one not in the Watch who realizes where the real shit is going down. If he saves the world from the White Walkers the people will beg him to come down south and take King's Landing and the Iron Throne. If he does that before Dany invades then she's going to have a damn hard time convincing everyone to listen to her as she'll have usurped the guy who saved the entire goddamn kingdom from frozen, near immortal ice zombies.

This is the second time a Stark has had the opportunity to vanquish an enemy of her family, and let the moment slip through her fingers. Arya not selecting Tywin Lannister as her first name, and now Sansa not giving up Littlefinger. And people wonder why the Starks are an endangered species. Team Lannister would never fumble on prime opportunities like that.

Sansa knows she'll have a better shot at survival with Little Finger than with the young lord in charge. That kid is all kinds of crazy, he's a few bad years away from becoming Joff.

Littlefinger isn't an enemy of the Starks. And Sansa made a very clever decision when she chose to side with him.

Heshinsi

Littlefinger isn't an enemy of the Starks. And Sansa made a very clever decision when she chose to side with him.

What? Littlefinger not an enemy, huh? Has she (and you for that matter) forgotten this guys betrayal of Ned in the Throne room? Now that we know he was responsible for Jon Arryn's death, everything that has happened to the Starks is his fault.

amnesiac

Show is getting pretty tedious to watch, honestly.

I don't care about Daenerys' story. It's really boring and I get that she's a prominent figure. Go to war already. The last thing that was remotely interesting that was related to her was that guy (I've given up on names) fighting to prove his worthiness or something.

The whole Ramsey/Reek thing I don't care for anymore. They've ruined Theon Greyjoy, who was more interesting than Ramsey.

The Wildling/Jon Snow/Wall plotline, I don't know, I'm kind of opinion-less on it. It was interesting when Snow became a Wildling, but nothing seems to be happening now...

This would've been a horrible episode if it weren't for the trial combat in the last 10 minutes of it.

If Tyrion gets axed, I don't know if I can force myself to watch the show anymore...

KarmaCow

Well, that scene with the old lady flirting with Brynden Black-Fish, the other one with Lord Frey smiling to Robb with the reveal of the gorgeous Roslin Frey and the stupid face that Edmure made.. those little things were classic ingredients for a happy wedding scene, I bet a lot of people was shocked by that end.

Yea but you're not expecting Rob to die before his mother in the next 5 minutes watching that. It just happens and you're left to deal with it.

Oberyn's fight has been teased for a while, so you know there was a chance he could die. Even with his death it isn't over because the part that probably more people care about is Tyrion's fate. He's sentenced to death but we haven't seen it. There is still that lingering hope that he can survive. But knowing the show, the White Walkers will storm King's Landing, interrupting the execution but in the process, a White Walker will step on Tyrion. :p

(Yes I'm bitter about the end of the episode, let me have this for a little while)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom