• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Can't we assume that he's dead already? Oberyn put a spear through his Achilles and his torso. There aren't any surgeons in Westeros.

No. No assumptions. I want to see suffering.
Maybe Oberyn's lady friends will sneak in and kill him while he recovers, either way he needs to die properly on screen because otherwise him suddenly coming back only to find the strength to kill Oberyn to then collapse and die is comical.

Suzaku

Humongous GIF but that was my favorite part. Im hoping she ends that fool. Im worried about how he seems to have zero weaknesses right now. Please get this fool killed Sansa.

11.gif

Sansa starting to walk that walk. A challenger appears.

Qvoth

i'm reminded of an anime from years ago, it had a fuckawesome spear fighting scene, this fight reminded me of that

edit: oh yeah it's called moribito

kiguel182

What an amazing ending.

It was kind of obvious when he kept insisting on the confession after having it won but still, great execution. So good.

I was kind of worried they wouldn't show the fight since there wasn't a lot of time left but they surely delivered. Loved it.

Rest of the episode was a slow burner but there were tons of character development so overall really enjoyed it.

I don't get it - does she not offer every slave a choice to disperse or join her as a free man or woman?

Not that I'm terribly in love with her character, but she's hardly a "female Joffrey". Agreed that I' love to see her die though, it would firmly cement the show's overwhelming message that heroes die.
Yeah like Ned and Rob Stark oh wait.....

LeBart

A'right, I'm officially rooting for Sansa and Littlefinger.

Somehow I know book readers reading this are cackling uncontrollably.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oberyn you daft fucking cunt, you had one job!!
That scene made me feel legit queesy, I did not need to see that at all. Second time this series I think I've shrieked aloud

For the rest of the series I'ma need
1. Jamie to help Tyrion escape somewhere
2. The mountain needs to die from his wounds in a gruesome ay
3. Oberyn's lady friend needs to kill of Cersei

I would love to see cersei go out like that.

It was a good ep this morning, but man am I sick of the tired trope of "standing on the side of somebody on the ground"---for once can't you just peer down at some fool from the head side?!

ramparter

Banned
OK the moment we start comparing Daenerys to Joffrey we have gone too far.

I think the problem with most people is that when they start liking a character, they expect him to be perfect and always behave the way they want him to.

but man am I sick of the tired trope of "standing on the side of somebody on the ground"
Agree. And I blame Martin for that, not Oberyn. Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever did something so stupid in real life yet we have seen this a thousand times, I'm really tired of it and will always call plot holes such events.

ruxtpin

Banned
I would love to see cersei go out like that.

Yup. Cersei and the Bolton's are on my shit list. I would love to see them both offed in satisfying ways. The only folks I want to see lots more of at the moment are Tyrion, Arya, and Pod/Brienne - the rest of the lot can go eat a pile of crap.

televator

BTW what the hell was Oberyn hoping to accomplish by putting on that show where he openly accuses Tywin for his sisters murder? Even if he won, which he was doing, did he think Tywin would just let him walk?

Ultimatum

Banned
make likeable character --> kill likeable character

wow wow so clever

I think george rr martin might actually be retarded

game of thrones could be so good, but instead it just goes for cheap shocks

this is like the western equivalent of anime fan service

I'll enjoy game of thrones for what it is, but I don't know why people say it's good

Grifter

I'm upset at work and short on sleep.

As a pure show watcher, really thought Oberyn had plot armor for a while. It seemed the show was now short on do-gooding alphas and he was their necessary replacement, except he wasn't fighting a war or overly honorable, just the wandering badass we needed to survive in this awful universe. He made for some feels but ultimately didn't accomplish anything for his time with us (maybe in the aftermath).

Also wasn't getting why The Mountain was being talked up as he's rarely been on on-screen and our prolonged exposure to him was when he lost a joust. That he's treated as a monster heel anyway must mean he's a bigger presence in the book, which I try not to build expectations off of.

Ultimatum

Banned
Lots of likeable characters are still alive, lots of unlikeable characters are dead.

arya

I think that's it

As a pure show watcher, really thought Oberyn had plot armor for a while. It seemed the show was now short on do-gooding alphas and he was their necessary replacement, except he wasn't fighting a war or overly honorable, just the wandering badass we needed to survive in this awful universe. He made for some feels but ultimately didn't accomplish anything for his time with us (maybe in the aftermath).

I guess it's an okay setup for his brother to be the real bad ass

Blader

Agree. And I blame Martin for that, not Oberyn. Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever did something so stupid in real life yet we have seen this a thousand times, I'm really tired of it and will always call plot holes such events.

If there's one thing you count on in human history, it's that someone, somewhere, got themselves killed from a stupid fuck up.

Spineker

Banned
A pretty classic case of monologuing leading to a death. I dunno, I don't think it really fits. Oberyn seemed much smarter than that. Just finish the fucker and be done with it. It's obvious he didn't give a shit about Tyrion, and I guess why would he.

The episode was really slow to begin with as well. You could tell the fight would be short just because of how long it took to get there. I'm not really understanding Sansa's motivations either. She seems to have turned into a completely different person. Is she not aware that Littlefinger had a key role in her fathers death?

wildfire

Banned
3. She frees all the slaves, but how will she be able to procure for them? These are people who know nothing else then being slaves. They have no education or preparation, so what are they going to do now that they are out of their normal life? Will Dany feed them, all their lives? Will she try to educate or procure a living for them? Because she only seems to drag them in the desert with her.. She doesn´t have a plan with regard to them. She just fried them and now what? Will she carry them to Westeros? If so what will they do there? Will she leave them behind? In both cases their situation is much worse than before, since she doesn´t have a plan to actually help them get a better life.

Can't believe no one yet has called you out on this silliness. They were slaves. Ergo the ones doing all the hard labor. THey are more than capable of living off the land. Fighting off aggressors is an entirely different matter but then people who aren't slaves aren't any better when you think about it.

Your wrong with almost everything else (she is myopic) but this one was just most flagrant.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Am I the only one who was kinda disappointed with the fight? It was so anticlimactic, rushed and the fighting felt so dull.

I know from the book readers that it was really epic and one of the passages in the book but in the show it was just far, far from epic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A pretty classic case of monologuing leading to a death. I dunno, I don't think it really fits. Oberyn seemed much smarter than that. Just finish the fucker and be done with it. It's obvious he didn't give a shit about Tyrion, and I guess why would he.

The episode was really slow to begin with as well. You could tell the fight would be short just because of how long it took to get there.

He wasnt monologuing or even there for Tyrion's sake. Tyrion was just a platform to air some very deep grievances.

ramparter

Banned
And one more thing, he didn't have to finish him off, he could just cut his hands, giving him a torturing death, while making him confess.

I know want a combat myself with GRRM to make him confess he screwed badly in his writing.

So Tyrion isn't likable?
Yay! We have two likable characters alive now! Oh wait, one of them was just sentenced to death.

inky

I'm not really understanding Sansa's motivations either. She seems to have turned into a completely different person. Is she not aware that Littlefinger had a key role in her fathers death?

She's tired of being the eternal victim and started to think 2 steps ahead? She got burned last time she played fair and her father got killed. Maybe she understands now she needs to play the game too.

I fully expect her to put a dagger through Littlefinger's back in the future when no one else is able to keep up with his schemes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing about Oberyn is that while he was clearly smart and a great player, he was full of himself as an avenging angel. His anger and desire to fall upon the Lannisters like a hawk boiled over once he was on the stage and slightly intoxicated. It was his (literally) fatal character flaw. People who survive the game here are those that keep their cards close to their vest and calculate. And remain ice cold while seeking justice or simply revenge.

Lots of likeable characters are still alive, lots of unlikeable characters are dead.

Yep. This story is about the long game. Characters who slot into traditional, possibly cliche plot arcs seem to get blown away without warning. But there are also consequences for that, which is what people need to see. The fallout from the Red Wedding began with the Purple Wedding. The surviving Stark children are still in motion all because of Ned's death. And gradually their arcs are making stuff happen such as what's going on with Sansa.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And one more thing, he didn't have to finish him off, he could just cut his hands, giving him a torturing death, while making him confess.

I know want a combat myself with GRRM to make him confess he screwed badly in his writing.

Yay! We have two likable characters alive now! Oh wait, one of them was just sentenced to death.

Unless GRRM wrote or directed the episode I'm not sure how you could say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom