• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
And one more thing, he didn't have to finish him off, he could just cut his hands, giving him a torturing death, while making him confess.

I know want a combat myself with GRRM to make him confess he screwed badly in his writing.

Yay! We have two likable characters alive now! Oh wait, one of them was just sentenced to death.

Bran, Jojen, Meera, Hodor, Davos, Varys (kinda), Bronn, Jon, Sam, Barristan Selmy, Lady Olenna, Brienne, Pod, ...

Enough for you?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I still think he's alive just because we never saw him die on screen, and anyone who doesn't die on screen is most likely not dead

In a series full of gruesome onscreen deaths his death not being on screen is definitely fishy.

ramparter

Banned
OK I guess you are right, I have no idea how tha combat went in the book. Anyway we still have to make him confess for killing all our favourite characters one day :p

edit
Now that I think about it, I'm really pissed because this is the first time a character I really liked died, since Ned's death.

Dennis

Banned
Dany's dismissal of Jorah seemed too abrupt. Considering all they have gone through together you would at least expect a scene where she agonizes over what to do with him.

Vashetti

Banned
Welp. Poor Oberyn.

At least he got a few stabs in. Hope the Mountain is confirmed dead in the next episode. Ellaria's scream was horrifying.

Arya laugh was horribly awkward and didn't work for me.

Sansa's scenes were awesome, girl is learning. Baelish better watch out.

Dany's scene was tripe. Really bad acting from Emilia Clarke. Felt so sorry for my man Jorah Mormont.

kanuuna

I really hope the Blu-ray set gets out this year. I going to want to see this again on my home theater setup.

On the topic of Game of Thrones on blu-ray, can someone who's watched Season 3 with commentary tell if there's are spoilers for future seasons in there? I've watched S2 with commentary over the last couple of days and I felt like there were strong hints on some of the tracks about how the Tyrion / Shae relationship would end (in season 4) and how things were going to be for Theon (in season 3).

Also that resolution to the fight was some God of War shit.

Dmax3901

make likeable character --> kill likeable character

wow wow so clever

I think george rr martin might actually be retarded

game of thrones could be so good, but instead it just goes for cheap shocks

this is like the western equivalent of anime fan service

I'll enjoy game of thrones for what it is, but I don't know why people say it's good

I'm not sure how people feel about comparing book and show in here,

-

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
make likeable character --> kill likeable character

wow wow so clever

I think george rr martin might actually be retarded

game of thrones could be so good, but instead it just goes for cheap shocks

this is like the western equivalent of anime fan service

I'll enjoy game of thrones for what it is, but I don't know why people say it's good

If the onion knight goes out in a bitchmade way, i think that might be my last episode.

Curufinwe

If you think everything that happened in this episode between Sansa/Littlefinger and Dany/Jorah was nothing then this probably isn't the show for you. Those were two really big plot developments.

I'm not sure how people feel about comparing book and show in here,

It's specifically against the rules in the OP which you should read in full, but I'll quote the pertinent bit here.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:

No taunting or teasing:
e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
No leading questions:
e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
No comparing the book to the show:
e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."

ramparter

Banned
There are others. Gendry, Pod, Brienne, Sansa, Bran, Sam, Bronn... arguably Jaime and Jon Snow.

Bran, Jojen, Meera, Hodor, Davos, Varys (kinda), Bronn, Jon, Sam, Barristan Selmy, Lady Olenna, Brienne, Pod, ...

Enough for you?

I was just commenting to the guy saying that we also have Tyrion alive.

Personally I don't care for most of the characters anyway. I like many but I care only for a few, that's the only way I can keep watching the show.

Dmax3901

If you think everything that happened in this episode between Sansa/Littlefinger and Dany/Jorah was nothing then this probably isn't the show for you. Those were two really big plot developments.

It's specifically against the rules in the OP which you should read in full, but I'll quote the pertinent bit here.

Thanks, sorry everyone, ignore me.

Dany's dismissal of Jorah seemed too abrupt. Considering all they have gone through together you would at least expect a scene where she agonizes over what to do with him.

She is a total idiot 60% of the time and would be useless without her inner circle. Got a feeling that she will go off the rails / start drinking her own kool aide without her most important mediating influence.

inky

Has someone photoshopped a pic of GRMM smashing beetles with the heads of Ned, Robb, Cat, Oberyn, etc.. yet?

That Starship Troopers gif of the kids smashung the roaches to a hysterical mom would be neat for this. Too bad my img editing skills are poor.

Curufinwe

I'm sure season 4 will be on disc in February like seasons 2 and 3 were.

I liked the Vale lord who said what we were all thinking about Lysa Arryn still feeding her son at the teat when he was 10 years old. Seems like a no nonsense kind of guy.

UrbanRats

Lol, turns out Oberyn was an imbecile.

To be honest i was already expecting this outcome, if anything because The Mountain is a crucial character in the Hound's character development, whereas Oberyn was the new guy, with less investment on the line, plus the trick of killing off the most obviously likable guy is getting a bit predictable in itself.

Thing is, they actually went LESS subtle about it than i was expecting.. when he started dancing around all cocky, that was the final confirmation, as it is the oldest trope in the book.
I think that whole sequence could've been handled a little better, tbh.

That said, i still enjoyed the very brutal death (damn) and the rest of the episode, although slow burning, was somewhat interesting.

On another note, i think the Hound has become one of my favorite characters, not because he's a good pal or anything, but because there's always fun when he's on screen.

Also happy the Daenerys side of the story is FINALLY moving on, with something fresh.

Not among the best episodes, all in all.

UrbanRats

That's it though, that was all in Jorah's fantasies, she couldn't care less!

We'll probably get that next week.

I think Dany cursing out Jorrah is the beginning of the end for her. She's nothing without her advisors. While I am not interested in her story anymore, it would be weird if she dies before going to Westeros. Four seasons of her on the other side of the world, without he interacting with anyone from the mainland. That would be a failure in narration.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think Dany cursing out Jorrah is the beginning of the end for her. She's nothing without her advisors. While I am not interested in her story anymore, it would be weird if she dies before going to Westeros. Four seasons of her on the other side of the world, without he interacting with anyone from the mainland. That would be a failure in narration.

Only as bad as her getting wiped out the moment she touches down in westeros.

Siegcram

I'm gonna go ahead and say that if anyone has something remotely resembling plot armour, it's Tyrion.
He's making it out of this season alive, I have no doubt.

No idea how, though.

Blader

To be honest i was already expecting this outcome, if anything because The Mountain is a crucial character in the Hound's character development, whereas Oberyn was the new guy, with less investment on the line, plus the trick of killing off the most obviously likable guy is getting a bit predictable in itself.

And yet I keep falling for it!

She is a total idiot 60% of the time and would be useless without her inner circle. Got a feeling that she will go off the rails / start drinking her own kool aide without her most important mediating influence.
Agreed, there is no hope though I think saying that 40% she isn't an idiot is a bit generous.

Just finished watching the episode and still feel queasy, the lack of justice in this show is actually starting to frustrate me, I wanted a lot more of Oberyn as he was one of the characters I really liked. Not only that but he should have just finished it. Jesus, I don't know how to cope with this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Agreed, there is no hope though I think saying that 40% she isn't an idiot is a bit generous.

Just finished watching the episode and still feel queasy, the lack of justice in this show is actually starting to frustrate me, I wanted a lot more of Oberyn as he was one of the characters I really liked. Not only that but he should have just finished it. Jesus, I don't know how to cope with this.

Dont ever watch The Wire

Also totally watch The Wire

Siegcram

Dany has the most of that. She's the only one who has some control over the dragons. If she dies they would just fly off and do whatever they wanted.
Well, she's also one continent removed from all the action, so I'm not really counting her.
There's straight dick going on in Essos compared to Kings Landing alone.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Danaerys is an imbecile - her scenes would be insufferable if not for the supporting characters around her. And the dragons.

An Oberyn ... goddamn. The 'good' guys (with the exception of the Khaleesi and her cohorts) really can't catch a break - it's been a constant kick-in-the-balls after kick-in-the-balls since the very first episode of season one.

And now it looks like Sansa is joining the Sith in order to survive.

Game of thrones has the 2 most gruesome scenes I have seen in recent memory (for me at least) and they are both the same character.

1. The Mountain chops a live horse in half
2. The Mountain at last episodes end

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom