• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
I guess now Tyrion should die but I am having trouble seeing that happening......

Not because GRRM wouldn't do that or anything but rather because it would be rather anti-climatic and take something important from the narrative without much payoff unlike the death of Ned Stark and the deaths of the Red Wedding.

With all the buildup of his and Jaime's relationship it is hard to imagine it will just be like: "OK, he lost the trial of combat, off with his head!"

I could see Jaime at least trying to do something to save Tyrion.

Maybe they will both end up being killed lol

You're insane. That scene stands as one of the best in the series for me. The amount of laughter and pathos being driven into my brain was astounding (I hope I used the word pathos correctly here).

The scene sets up much unspoken love between the two brothers.

Someone already mentioned here on the forum that the story could represent how our beloved characters in the story are being crushed, one by one. Yet Tyrion at the end of it all releases one. One survives. Could that foreshadow something in the near future? Not every "bug/character" will meet a final crushing?

Again, the laughter. Certain writers can write dialogue like only few can. Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller created literary moments just like that for me and this was no different.

Lastly, Peter Dinklage's ability to speak on screen. Being enraptured by his words alone with the care of proper inflection, pausing and even sound effects. Gush. Man is an artist.

I loved that scene dearly.

It was going for that but it failed, it definitely had the smell of two actors pretending to be loyal, caring brothers. It doesn't have whatever it is that makes Arya and the hound's "father daughter" relationship work.

The message and the delivery felt very heavy handed and lacking finesse. "Whoa! The bugs are an allegory for our own lives, so deep", not the way Oberyn told the story of when he first saw Tyrion, well delivered monologue and perfect reaction from Dinklage.

Peter Dinklage's delivery was poor this time. As for his inflections, he fooled me in season one but the last few episodes it's becoming more and obvious that he's putting on an English accent and he isn't getting it right.

gorfyako

Banned
cFsjkYa.jpg

in keeping with sansa's tradition, she has now adopted lysa tully's hairstyle

Alayne Stone has got me rock hard.

Nerokis

Agreed. The fact that Oberyn died screaming in the same way his sister died whom he tried to avenge makes it even worse. It would have been less troubling if he had a clean death but man those screams..

Yeah...just an unbelievably cruel moment. There's the brutality of his death, yeah - it's an absolutely horrifying thing to watch, particularly for a character like Oberyn. But then there's his sheer terror, his helplessness. There's having to imagine his sister being killed in such a terrible fashion, an even worse death than Oberyn himself ever hinted she had, and the fact that this was thrown in his face during those terrible final seconds of his life. There's the incredible injustice of it all.

I don't remember a character tripping ever being such a frightening thing to watch. Putting everything else aside, in this scene, the Mountain dramatically transformed into the character everyone always claimed he was supposed to be. Tough to kill, utterly sadistic, and ridiculously strong. The moment he knocked Oberyn over, the fight was finished. Standing around in his vicinity was in and of itself a death sentence.

The actor really did a great job. Having seen the pictures of him and Lena Headey, I couldn't take his Mountain seriously at first, because he came off as such a teddy bear. Now I see something like that picture of him and Pedro, and I can't help but to associate him with massive violent capabilities. Haha.

I think the reason that his death was so shocking is because from his introduction he has been a very calm and collected individual. He was confident in his fighting ability and the fight itself certainly backed that confidence up.

And then all of a sudden he was absolutely helpless and screaming for his life, the first time you see him distressed, and then seconds later his head explodes. Deary me, I certainly found it shocking.

Famassu

No they don't. Nine times out of ten, the young, brilliant strategist defeats the older, complacent, overconfident warlord. Alexander did it. Octavian did it. Napoleon did it. None of those guys were angels, but neither was Rob Stark. He loved the power he had over people in sentencing them to death, "this man only watched, hang him last so he can watch the others die". People's irritation with the show is not about good guys and bad guys. Nor is it about accepting reality. The problem is that the show actively rejects reality and plausibility in the name of shock value. Oberyn was vastly superior as a fighter. He had already won the fight. He stabbed the Mountain in the chest. Having Gregor leap out of his grave to crush Oberyn's skull is horror movie level schlock. It's not good writing and it's not realistic. Shitty people don't come out on top when the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against them. WWII didn't end with Hitler skullfucking Eisenhower.
Oberyn was obsessed with revenge & justice. That was his downfall. That's not rejecting reality, revenge stories rarely have good endings. Oberyn's death is absolutely great writing.

breakfuss

Can't believe they're turning Sansa into Maleficent. Thought my eyes were deceiving me but nope, hair is now much darker. I hope she reunites with the sister. Been too long since two Starkes (knowingly) in the same room. That head crushing was brutal. Jesus. I hate seeing shit like that right before I go to sleep, lol.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The way I see it Jamie has to at least try *something*.

His deal with Tywin was hosed by Tyrion. He's done nothing but bond further with Tyrion during all this. It kind of feels as if Jamie's being set up for a moment in which he must make a big choice, like making a complete heel/face turn. Or if he chooses to stay silent and stand by as Tyrion is executed, he's simply damned himself inwardly. He may as well crawl off to the Rock and do whatever daddy says at that point.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
ok just watched it......

seriously felt anger, happiness, sadness, shock, and disgust all in the matter of 15 seconds. I can't explain it, but i will never watch that scene again. ever.

Ithil

People are gonna be scared of the Mountain's actor for years to come now. Size aside, he looked like a big friendly guy. Now, not as much.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Oberyn was obsessed with revenge & justice. That was his downfall. That's not rejecting reality, revenge stories rarely have good endings. Oberyn's death is absolutely great writing.

good writing is subjective. but by no means was that fight realistic in any sense. the comeback definitely sacrificed realism to tug at heart strings, but then again so did oberyn winning at the start. the show doesnt have to be realistic though. this show is just as unrealistic as the good always triumphs over evil stuff, but in the other direction.

if we're talking realism, the fight would have been over in 8 seconds with a parry or two and the giant dude slicing down on oberyn with brute force.

breakfuss

ok just watched it......

seriously felt anger, happiness, sadness, shock, and disgust all in the matter of 15 seconds. I can't explain it, but i will never watch that scene again. ever.

haaha, i know right. I seriously had to sit and decompress for an extra hour before I went to sleep last night.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm legit shook.
I love that they killed Oberyn, not because I didn't like him but I love when movies/books/whatever show the middle finger to the audience.

That said, my rational part knew he was going to die the moment he started going circles around the Mountain while he was on his back. But I still had hope, I thought "he can't be that stupid". Turns out he was.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Although I agree with what you're saying, it was the sloppy, clichéd and silly way he died that I found to be worthy of criticism with this particular death of a cool character. They could've done that a lot better.

I do agree that the scene could have been much better. I'm okay with the outcome, as crushing as it may be, but it's pretty obvious that it played out in the way it did to make it as gutting as possible. It was like GRRM went in for a high five, only to give us a swift kick in the nuts instead.

I dunno, maybe Oberyn could given pretty much the same speech prior to the due, only to lose in a brutal way after a close fight. Same outcome, but in a less frustrating and contrived way. I get that the idea was to show that his passion was his downfall, but they already established that by having him go up against the most feared man in Westeros in the first place.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Can't believe no one yet has called you out on this silliness. They were slaves. Ergo the ones doing all the hard labor. THey are more than capable of living off the land. Fighting off aggressors is an entirely different matter but then people who aren't slaves aren't any better when you think about it.

Your wrong with almost everything else (she is myopic) but this one was just most flagrant.

It's not worth it man. I'm not replying to any of that kinda criticism anymore. It's like we're watching completely different shows. Is she naive, idiotic, hot headed, and rash at times? Yes. But when people start making shit up that don't happen in the show, there's no point in even attempting to make sense of it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just remembered that Cersei's children are in Dorne. I'm thinking the Mountain's confession might cost the Lannisters.

2an4d.png

But did the mountain really confessed that it was a Lannister's order to rape Oberyn's sister? Because if he didn't I think the daughter will still be safe considering hurting kids w/o reason is not how Obery's family roll.

I honestly don't have the nuts to watch that part of the episode again. Same goes to the Red Wedding.

So why was the confession so important for Oberyn? He knew who killed his sister, Tywin knew. And the rest of King's Landing's people probably could have guessed.
It's not like the Mountain was some noble knight, who never resorted to violence. In the previous episode we see him slaughtering prisoners just for practice. It must be common knowledge, that he is a sick, twisted and extremely violent person.

So why does Oberyn insists on a stupid confession? Were the circumstances of his sister's death unclear for the general public?

The confession he wanted was that the Mountain did what he did under the direct orders of Tywin Lannister.

EDIT - wow, way too slow on that reply...

How many young brilliant strategists do you see running the world today?

Wunderkinds aren't uncommon and they whoop older established figures all the time. If GRRM was writing history, Castro would have challenged Batista to a duel, at which point Batista's guards would have strapped Castro to a bomb and dropped it on Che Guevara's face.

Raiden

Banned
Jesus man that was brutal.. first he had to get his teeth shattered from his mouth, than they made him scream and then his head exploded.

Fucking hell.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
LOL i knew oberyn was gonna die because i read the comments of a pedro pascal interview in lat tercera.com, i just didn't know how.

Just watched the latest episode and Jesus, I am SO happy that i wasn't eating anything during that final scene. God damn.

Next up, episode 9, and we all know what that means!

And now I know that previews always try to place attention away from shocks. So I know next week will be shocking and it has nothing to with The nights watch and the wildlings. That was a curve.

I just hope Tyrian can somehow get out of this jam.

2an4d.png

But did the mountain really confessed that it was a Lannister's order to rape Oberyn's sister? Because if he didn't I think the daughter will still be safe considering hurting kids w/o reason is not how Obery's family roll.

I honestly don't have the nuts to watch that part of the episode again. Same goes to the Red Wedding.

Everyone suspected he did it, but it was never confirmed by an official source until now. He just openly admitted to raping and murdering noble family members of a powerful house.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Jesus man that was brutal.. first he had to get his teeth shattered from his mouth, than they made him scream and then his head exploded.

Fucking hell.

My thought process while that was happening.

Oh, he will look dumb but he can still be awesome without teeth.

Bloody eyes doesn't really mean he's blind.

Well, he could turn into some kind of awesome blind assassin guy.

Then his head blew up and I cried.

NoTacos

So for those of you actually paying close attention,
the squire that was "cleaning" Oberyn's spear was actually wiping it down with poison, wasn't he?

Carbonox

i

i am legit shook

A part of me knew Oberyn wouldn't survive this but by heck i was rooting for him but his eagerness and rage led to his downfall. Should have finished The Mountain off when he had the chance.

Incredibly brutal death as well.

I am sad now. :(

dat sansa though

Arjen

the squire that was "cleaning" Oberyn's spear was actually wiping it down with poison, wasn't he?

How would you know that was posion? I just saw the dude cleaning it.

Raiden

Banned
My thought process while that was happening.

Oh, he will look dumb but he can still be awesome without teeth.

Bloody eyes doesn't really mean he's blind.

Well, he could turn into some kind of awesome blind assassin guy.

Then his head blew up and I cried.

The moment he lost his teeth my mind was going well thats it, they dont really have the needs to do some decent dental work on the guy and they're not gonna let him run around with holes in his mouth.

Now i'm hoping Jaimie will still rescue Tyrion .. but yeah.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Have you seen HBO's Inside the Episode for this episode?
(This is about a detail mentioned in it that could be a possible spoiler....)
One of the show runners explicitly mentions that Oberyn used poison. I remember someone speculating about this last week, and it made sense due to the episode title and everything. I'm assuming that means the Mountain is dead for certain. I'm still not sure what that'll amount to, though, considering Tywin already announced the execution. Maybe it's an unimportant detail from a cut scene, or maybe it'll have some significance, I guess we'll find out soon.

Philippo

Just watched the latest episode and Jesus, I am SO happy that i wasn't eating anything during that final scene. God damn.

Next up, episode 9, and we all know what that means!

I don't know man, to me it feels like almost all the episodes of this season are "episode 9" worthy, i almost worry that 4x09 will underperform on the "shock" side. But i guess going forward everything will just escalate, so it can only go even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom