• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I highly doubt it. That dude is built ford tough, that and i doubt hed be that feared if he could be dispatched so easily.

F-ind
O-n
R-oad
D-ead

So cryptic, so clever. You could have just said he was dead and not tease us like this lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They wouldn't have went out of their way to say how Oberyn was a master of poisons twice for him to die without making use of that skill.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jesus man, how many head crushing videos do you watch on a daily basis then? That was one of the most traumatizing tv spots I've seen in a very long time

uh, movies and other tv shows have done it better. not talking about real life shit (although I have seen a few on old horror/gore shock sites back in the day).

Same+movie+as+this.+quot+The+Story+of+Ricky+quot+I+think+_5830cccfb2bc6de840d618b7fcd5d842.gif

JesseZao

They wouldn't have went out of their way to say how Oberyn was a master of poisons twice for him to die without making use of that skill.

Indeed. Maybe the scene continues in 9, but the Mountain doesn't get up so they consult the maester on a ruling. Idk. Tyrion is not going to die.

Loxley

That's what I'm thinking. Nothing is ever done just for shits and giggles on this show, the writers know how to foreshadow. I'm in the camp that thinks
the spear was poisoned
or something similar.

Nameless

No Stannis that episode. Thank god. Guess he's invading King's Landing next week then,

He's either heading to King's Landing or the Wall. Given what Melisandre said about it being her last bath for a while I'm inclined to think it's the Wall.

Dot50Cal

Banned
What gave you that idea? He was polishing it and then tossed him a replacement mid-fight.

This sounds like some book shit, people trying to be snarky and observant. Sigh. Either way, Mountain looked dead to me at the end there anyway. A spear to the chest doesn't bode very well with the level of medical attention they have. Not to mention his ruined heel, he'd never walk again.

Blader

I didn't expect the fight to end in such a horrific fashion, the screams...

The eye gouging was bad enough for me, but the screaming was what really did it :(

I think the red wedding is still the most fucked-up shocking this show has been done (some asshole sadly spoiled Ned's death for me beforehand), but Oberyn's death looked far more disturbing.

NoTacos

Jesus, that actor is huge. He could probably crush somebodys head like that in real life.
He's not even standing upright in that photo. The size difference is just massive. Also, I wonder how far into filming they shot that scene, Pascal said the last scene he shot was walking with Cersei in the garden and that was shown a while ago.

ASIS

The eye gouging was bad enough for me, but the screaming was what really did it :(

I think the red wedding is still the most fucked-up shocking this show has been done (some asshole sadly spoiled Ned's death for me beforehand), but Oberyn's death looked far more disturbing.
The red wedding was a massacre. And it was an unexpected plot twist full of shock and betrayal. The aftermath is also huge. But Oby's death can be predicted by everyone.. Didn't make it any less brutal.

The red wedding obviously had a lot more overall impact to the story, but on a individual level I think Oberyn's death takes the cake. Just the way the camera is zoomed in on every single detail, urgh.

Also, during the red wedding most people were being stabbed in the abdomen but their faces were left intact, it's a bit less graphic, not so much the case for poor watermelon Oberyn.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I just remembered something.

Doran is gonna send Cersei her daughter's head, isn't he?

That'd be swell.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I just remembered something.

Doran is gonna send Cersei her daughter's head, isn't he?

That'd be swell.

I doubt it, remember Oberyns speech about how they don't kill little girls in Dorne? I mean, he did volunteer for the trial by combat, afterall. I don't think his house will be too happy. Maybe this whole thing is going to culminate with the Martells and Stannis all attacking the Lannisters in yet another war?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I doubt it, remember Oberyns speech about how they don't kill little girls in Dorne? I mean, he did volunteer for the trial by combat, afterall. I don't think his house will be too happy. Maybe this whole thing is going to culminate with the Martells and Stannis all attacking the Lannisters in yet another war?

It would be hilarious if history repeats itself and instead of a Mad King it's Cersei, The Mad Queen Regent. Who is completely insane and willing to do anything.

Question is, who would be the one to stab her in the back this go round?

rando14

Wasn't he a pirate/smuggler?

Yeah that's true, it's why I put it in quotes. Davos and Stannis seem to be the last two major characters who really emphasize honor, but Stannis is fucking insane and burns people for being witches so he's out. At least Davos saved whats-his-face from being leeched and speaks against Melisandre

I wonder how audiences would react if any hated characters got their head mountain'd instead.

Considering how happy some people seem about Theon's fate, I assume they'll love it and think of it in intimate ways.

Personally I just don't wanna see something this gross ever again.

All the scenes so far with Bolton really bug me. He's so complacent with his achievements and his new role as warden of the north. But what is he even doing with that title now? It seems the only thing he's been caring about are the Ironborn in his borders. Does he not care at all about the wildling raiding party sacking town after town in his own borders? Or the the Night's Watch being basically trapped at Castle Black undermanned and about to be attacked?

It seems that Winterfell was in pretty good contact with the Night's Watch when they were the warden. Ned Stark himself even policing their members and carrying out an execution for failure of their duties. So this duty should now fall on Bolton, correct? I thought that maybe Dreadfort is a lot farther from the Wall, so maybe Bolton has less communication with them, but looking at the map Dreadfort is actually a little closer to the Wall and has a seemly easier travel route.

When the Night's Watch sent out the ravens calling for assistance, you only get to see Stannis' reaction to it. I assume other kingdoms received the message and probably reacted the same way as Stannis, who I remember was entirely ready to ignore the message if not for the red woman's insistence. So I assume Bolton would probably react the same way, just thinking the threat from the north is all fairy tales.

But now there's a large band of wildling running amok south of the wall, which is a very real threat to his kingdom. Word of this must have reached Bolton by now. He's so concerned with invaders from the Iron Isle in his territory, but not invaders from the North? Do you think Bolton will take any action to help Castle Black or leave them to fend for themselves? If Castle Black falls, it would directly affect Bolton and Bolton alone.

Sorry if this is long, but it's just been bugging me.
tldr: why does Bolton ignore the wildling party raiding towns south of the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom