• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

That's a massive amount of pounds per square inch to crush the skull like that.

Eyeballs, yes. Skull gibbage with bare hands, doubtlful.

Well he didn't entirely crush it with his hands did he? He smashed Oberyn's head against the ground.

kame-sennin said:
No they don't. Nine times out of ten, the young, brilliant strategist defeats the older, complacent, overconfident warlord. Alexander did it. Octavian did it. Napoleon did it.

How many young brilliant strategists do you see running the world today?

In any event, everyone gets theirs in the end. It would only be a case of GRRM rejecting reality for cruel shock value if the series ends with the Lannisters and the Boltons and the Freys ruling Westeros unquestioned, happily ever after.

roytheone

Just watched the latest episode and Jesus, I am SO happy that i wasn't eating anything during that final scene. God damn.

Next up, episode 9, and we all know what that means!

Suzaku

cFsjkYa.jpg

I know everyone is focused on Oberyn's death but I'm stuck on Sansa's transformation.

LQX

Some the comments seem so odd. I know thread states "NO BOOK SPOILERS" but are some going as far to pretend the book does not exist and the show has no relation to them? I have never read the books but at the same time I wold think more than likely the show is going off the books and is not just willy-nilly changing major plots for the hell of it.

I expected Oberyn to lose, but the way the scene played out gave me hope. I still think Tyrion's story doesn't end with a beheading, but man is it not looking good for him. That was probably one of the more brutal scenes I've seen on TV btw ... Wow. Great sword fight too IMO.

Dark Sansa is hot. Curious to learn her motives.

I lol'ed at the friend zone coming to an abrupt end.
So er, the Mountain is dead, right guys? Right?

If he's not, he's ruined after that Achilles slice.

rando14

I expected Oberyn to lose, but the way the scene played out gave me hope. I still think Tyrion's story doesn't end with a beheading, but man is it not looking good for him. That was probably one of the more brutal scenes I've seen on TV btw ... Wow. Great sword fight too IMO.

Dark Sansa is hot. Curious to learn her motives.

I lol'ed at the friend zone coming to an abrupt end.

Fedorah Jorah has to take his pillar and stones elsewhere ;_;

I loved everything about this episode. Nathalie Emmanuel continues to show how stunning she is. Ramsey awarded for being an asshole. Mormont super friend zoned. Sansa growing a set. Arya's dismissal of the continually dire life she leads with the Hound. Cocky Oberyn. Brain salad Oberyn. So good!

Sober

Yeah, he implied that but Im still not sure. Why was he physically attracted to M, if he was missing his stones and stem? I also question what kind of elite warriors those "unsullied" would be, if their testosterone supply was cut off at a young age.
Well you can tell the Unsullied obviously aren't Buff McBuffersons either because of it but they are still feared for probably being tactically superior and possibly better trained than most other fighting forces. Remember they've spent their whole life training to fight.

I mean Grey Worm is pretty damn scrawny and he's the commander of the Unsullied. The others are maybe taller than him and maybe pack a little more muscle but for the most part they aren't huge dudes.

Nerokis

I don't think Arya's laughter was directed at the Hound. That wasn't "oh, you poor guy" laughter. That was tragedy-is-beginning-to-turn-to-absurdity, traumatized laughter.

Bossun

Pedro just recently posted this image on Instagram, The guy playing the mountain is not a small man.

926774_250536588476968_993774861_n.jpg

It's always so weird seeing that kind of pictures. Like they hate each other in the show, how Oberyn died but then you think about it and 5 minutes afterwards they were probably drinking and laughing together " Hey man, the way you killed me...AWESOOOME".

They'll just keep the Mountain attached to a stretcher. He'll be carried into battle where he can kill everyone whilst lying down.

The ultimate Lannister war machine.

Jinaar

That scene between Jaime and Tyrion felt poorly/awkwardly acted...

You're insane. That scene stands as one of the best in the series for me. The amount of laughter and pathos being driven into my brain was astounding (I hope I used the word pathos correctly here).

The scene sets up much unspoken love between the two brothers.

Someone already mentioned here on the forum that the story could represent how our beloved characters in the story are being crushed, one by one. Yet Tyrion at the end of it all releases one. One survives. Could that foreshadow something in the near future? Not every "bug/character" will meet a final crushing?

Again, the laughter. Certain writers can write dialogue like only few can. Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller created literary moments just like that for me and this was no different.

Lastly, Peter Dinklage's ability to speak on screen. Being enraptured by his words alone with the care of proper inflection, pausing and even sound effects. Gush. Man is an artist.

I loved that scene dearly.

Gwendoline Christie just joined Star Wars... oh god Brienne's going to die isn't she :(

My girl subscribes to this theory.

Any time she sees a trailer for a movie on TV starring a GoT actor, she thinks that GoT character is going to die.

So apparently Jon Snow, Jamie, Dany, Tyrion, and now Brienne are going to die soon.

You're insane. That scene stands as one of the best in the series for me. The amount of laughter and pathos being driven into my brain was astounding (I hope I used the word pathos correctly here).

Someone already mentioned here on the forum that the story could represent how our beloved characters in the story are being crushed, one by one. Yet Tyrion at the end of it all releases one. One survives. Could that foreshadow something in the near future? Not every "bug/character" will meet a final crushing?

Again, the laughter. Certain writers can write dialogue like only few can. Douglas Adams and Joseph Heller created literary moments just like that for me and this was no different.

Lastly, Peter Dinklage's ability to speak on screen. Being enraptured by his words alone with the care of proper inflection, pausing and even sound effects. Gush. Man is an artist.

Exactly.

I think Dany's role is to sacrifice her dragons and army to end the threat of the White Walkers, afterwhich she will be properly put to death by the Lannisters. That way, all of her story will have amounted to something. She'll have had a lasting impact on Westeros.
I think she's going to get killed by Littlefinger and Bran is going to control the dragons himself with the Stark girls OLE

Eh, I saw Oberyn's death coming. I just hoped it wouldn't be a such cliched death. If for example, the mountain dominates him and he is the one to get the lucky critical hit but ultimately ends up dead, a beaten and bloody Oberyn shows why the mountain is feared and it also gives Oberyn's long pursuit of vengeance so much more gravity. His reaction wouldn't seem like such a ranting villain cliche.

At this point the gore doesn't shock and killing good guys has become predictable. We need some gratification not just constant disappointment. Ned's death remains the most shocking to me because we couldn't fathom the idea of his premature end.

It's also getting annoying to get such small chunks of plot from all the other story arcs, it's frustrating to see 2mins of Jorah, 5mins of Arya, 5 mins of Ramsey etc, it's been so long since "winter is coming".

And I've saved the positivity for last. Pedro Pascal deserves recognition for his fantastic performance on the show, he absolutely nailed it from day one.

Kule

It's also getting annoying to get such small chunks of plot from all the other story arcs, it's frustrating to see 2mins of Jorah, 5mins of Arya, 5 mins of Ramsey etc, it's been so long since "winter is coming".

To me it kinda feels like there is no overreaching plot anymore and this season has been mostly filler.

Nerokis

Perfectly said. That was a wonderful scene.

Eh, I saw Oberyn's death coming. I just hoped it wouldn't be a such cliched death. If for example, the mountain dominates him and he is the one to get the lucky critical hit but ultimately ends up dead, a beaten and bloody Oberyn shows why the mountain is feared and it also gives Oberyn's long pursuit of vengeance so much more gravity. His reaction wouldn't seem like such a ranting villain cliche.

At this point the gore doesn't shock and killing good guys has become predictable. We need some gratification not just constant disappointment. Ned's death remains the most shocking to me because we couldn't fathom the idea of his premature end.

And I've saved the positivity for last. Pedro Pascal deserves recognition for his fantastic performance on the show, he absolutely nailed it from day one.

Agreed 100%

TheContact

The more I sit on it, the worse the ending seems. The Mountain's confession is almost as chilling as Oberyn's death. That's what he did to Oberyn's sister? Really? And those are the final words Oberyn heard as he was brutally killed?

Jesus Christ. Honestly, the Red Wedding was probably more initially shaking, but I think the overall brutality of this moment will probably have a more lingering effect.

Agreed. The fact that Oberyn died screaming in the same way his sister died whom he tried to avenge makes it even worse. It would have been less troubling if he had a clean death but man those screams..

That made me feel sick and I'm not normally squeamish at all. Ugh so gross.

That whole fight was edge of seat stuff, Oberyn should have won but he was blinded by his anger and lost because of it. Sad shit.

Loved Arya laughing, was laughing along. And Sansa looked amazing at the end.

Philippo

What an episode man... And not only it's climax, but all of it was very good.
I especially loved Grey Worm, it's nice that he has true feelings, since he's probably the only man in the series not thinking with his dick.

Also many possible plot points just opened up:
-What will Jorah do now? Will he go back to Westeros or do something for Dany from the distance?
-Where the Hound and Arya will go now?
-Why Sansa went through that transformation?
-Will Tyrion escape from death?
-Will Dorne take revenge against the Lannisters?

terrene

Banned
Has anyone besides me seen the old 70s BBC miniseries I, Claudius, or read the book by Robert Graves? I'm drawing a parallel between Claudius and Tyrion as sole survivors of an insane lineage of rulers, and both differently abled, and I think GRRM does too. Claudius spoke with a terrible stutter and had a twitch and a limp and was thought to be a fool, but by not being a murderous psychopath like Caligula, and not having powerful enemies like Augustus, he survives the ever-changing regimes of the various Ceasars that come and go, growing old with age, and one day becomes Caesar himself.

I feel like GRRM himself is modeling Tyrion after Claudius a bit. Caligula was the Joffrey of I, Claudius, and was Claudius' nephew, as Joffrey was Tyrion's -- and just as Joffrey did with Sansa and Tyrion, Caligula forces a woman to marry Claudius and delights in shaming them both. You can see it in the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T40mDHDKqWM

I say all this because if the model holds up, Tyrion is going to live! There's a lot of parallels really between I, Claudius and GoT (repeated injustice, jostling for the throne, cruelty, torture, even incest) -- GoT fans should check it out. It's like a PG-rated, semi-educational version of GoT, lol. And there was a lot to like about the story of the afflicted* man who the royal family shat on for years surviving all the insanity and outliving them all. Here's GAF's old thread about I, Claudius, for the curious: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541656

BELIEVE

I'm betting on Tyrion! ...I mean I wouldn't put real money on it, but yeah!

God he's going to fucking die, isn't he? Ugh.

* P.S. Afflicted in the eyes of the royal family, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom