• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

So that has to be the most gruesome death in any show ever, right? I've seen all sorts of crazy deaths in movies, TV, abd games, but that was gut wrenching. I figured Doran was going to die, but holy shit.

As others have said, Spartacus is up there on some of the deaths, but then again, there's just so much violence in that show and it's so stylized that it doesn't have quite the same impact.

I'd say that Hannibal's up there on the gore, although most of it is insanely gruesome crime scenes. There was one scene this season that made me really cringe, though (early S2 Hannibal spoilers):
A guy wakes up after having been sewn to a bunch of corpses. He eventually pulls himself free, with chunks of his flesh getting torn off and left behind where he's been attached to the dead bodies.

So yeah, don't watch Hannibal while eating if you've got a weak stomach. I'm constantly amazed that NBC can get away with that level of grotesque imagery.

Cipherr

The dude really can't catch a break. He had an expensive wife, had to sell slaves to afford it, and got exiled as a result. Then after he met a khaleesi, he let go the chance of being pardoned only to get friendzoned, and then got caught in one of Tywin's stratagems and exiled the second time.

I wonder if it's the last of Jorah we'll see.

Yep he really is hosed. I don't expect that he can rejoin the Horde wherever they are either at this point since he chose Dany over them. Lost his home and got exiled, had a chance to get pardoned but changed his mind, then got outed and exiled again. Fuuuuuuuuck... that dude is so screwed.

I don't care if the Unsullied still have 8 foot dicks, part of their entire badassery is the fact that they're stone cold soldiers with a single purpose. Now he's gonna fuckin' simp on that girl, Unsullied will become weak, and Dany will fall.... Maybe it's for the best then.

I can't lie I worry about that too. But I suppose they had to do something to add character to at least one of the unsullied. I just hope they don't turn him into some love fool. Would be such a waste of a very different non cliche character.

Turin

Banned
As others have said, Spartacus is up there on some of the deaths, but then again, there's just so much violence in that show and it's so stylized that it doesn't have quite the same impact.

I'd say that Hannibal's up there on the gore, although most of it is insanely gruesome crime scenes. There was one scene this season that made me really cringe, though (early S2 Hannibal spoilers):
A guy wakes up after having been sewn to a bunch of corpses. He eventually pulls himself free, with chunks of his flesh getting torn off and left behind where he's been attached to the dead bodies.

So yeah, don't watch Hannibal while eating if you've got a weak stomach. I'm constantly amazed that NBC can get away with that level of grotesque imagery.

Even with all it's grotesquery Hannibal is far more aware of the audience, emotionally. Even when terrible things do happen to likable characters.

Never read the comments in Game of Thrones anything. This is the only place I feel safe as a non-book reader.

I'm really happy I found this thread for that reason. I've been spoiled multiple times because I just glanced at the comments in vids and the like.
But now, I shall not be spoiled again!

terrene

Banned
http://shar.es/VV6ke

How'd you get the gruesome effects down for Oberyn's death?

I storyboarded it for, "This is when we're going to use Pedro, and this is when we're going to need some kind of a head that can implode." I sent our makeup supervisor off and he built this head to use for the shots. Then the visual effects guys took it home by putting a little swelling in the head, and making the one eye look really bad. The last composition that we barely got before the sun went down was of the two of them lying dead – the effects team made that even more gruesome. They rearranged some of his brain matter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
best fight scene in the show so far?

I'd say that this one thing that the show did better than the book. Don't remember the red viper being so likeable or in depth in the book at all. That speech he gave tyrion before saying he'd fight for him, god damn. and his taunts to the mountain. So great.

Tyrions 'awww shit' face was pretty amazing as well. fucking tywin, what a d'bag. he almost cracked up laughing when the mountain grabbed the viper.

Just watched the episode; what can I say that the previous 2000 posts didn't already say?

Regardless, somehow I can imagine Jaime dying rather than Tyrion. I also don't want the Hound to die from the very obvious infection he has.

Liamario

Banned
You know, when the girl walked off saying she is done watching this show, I couldn't blame her. I had a similar reaction half an hour after watching the episode. The show is such an emotional roller coaster and I don't know if I'm mentally up to the task. You can't help get attached, even though you know you shouldn't. I've seen gore like that before, but for some reason it was even more affecting last night.

malfcn

The fight was pretty awesome.
But as soon as he pulled out I knew it was going to end badly.
Did not see the explosion coming.

bronk

Banned
Fuck! That was so brutal. I knew that was gonna happen. Can never let a good guy win damnit, sigh.

Also jus realized Lord Baelish was on The Wire didnt know that.

Liamario

Banned
The fight was pretty awesome.
But as soon as he pulled out I knew it was going to end badly.
Did not see the explosion coming.

I was just shouting at the tv, 'finish him'. But he wouldn't, and didn't. The moral of the story- it's not over till it's over.

Most-Shocking-Moments-Game-Thrones.gif

Posted?

My reaction was closer to Tyrions/Jamie tho.. Everything happened so fast I was just left speechless while staring at the tv. I was cursing when the credits started to roll.

Cipherr

This is why the story is becoming a joke to me. No one gets lucky bounces the way the Lannisters and their bros do. For example, for the Red Wedding to have gone down the way it did, took some massive levels of luck. Robb killing Karstark, Robb deciding randomly to invade Casterly Rock, the Edmund agreeing to the marriage, the Tullys not planning the wedding at their seat of power, etc. So many things outside of the Lannister's control that just so neatly fell into place at the right time.

Not to mention all the people they fight are top tier at what they do. Rob Stark is the best strategist in the show, but he decides to hang out as his mom's house for a season before he makes the obvious move of attacking Casterly Rock. Stannis is a proven battle commander, but he gets held back by a dwarf who's only been in one battle. And Oberyn comes out as the best duelist we've seen so far, but he dies even after he won the fight. I have no problem with a story where the villains win, in fact, I've wanted to see a show like that for a long time. But the villains need to earn their victories in plausible ways just like the heroes do. Like I said before, this show is filled with diablo ex machinas.

This is the second time a Stark has had the opportunity to vanquish an enemy of her family, and let the moment slip through her fingers. Arya not selecting Tywin Lannister as her first name, and now Sansa not giving up Littlefinger. And people wonder why the Starks are an endangered species. Team Lannister would never fumble on prime opportunities like that.

Just want to say I also agree with the 3 above posts. We are 4 seasons deep now. I have to hope that at some point the show/books stop using the same old forumla. I haven't completely tired of it yet, but I soon will. It can pull this shit off because no other show/book does it to this degree, but that doesn't mean it can just ride that wave forever.

At some point the goddamn formula needs to change a bit. Having every Stark always stupidly pass on the winning option, and having the most vile characters always draw the perfect hand is going to eventually get stale.

Don't wear it out GRR.

Xelis

I honestly can't see Tyrion dying I have a feeling the Mountain is dead too and therefore the match is a draw and Tyrion will escape on a technicality, however, it's episode 9 and we all know what that means.

I honestly can't see Tyrion dying I have a feeling the Mountain is dead too and therefore the match is a draw and Tyrion will escape on a technicality, however, it's episode 9 and we all know what that means.

...FUCK

You're right. I didn't even realize it until you said it.

I just watched the fight again on youtube. Goddamnit, Oberyn.

Goddamnit.

It was a good fight, though. I wonder what Sandor would think knowing his big brother got--- Eh. I guess it doesn't matter. He won in the end.

:(

Belfast

"Bad" guys get theirs, too. We just take most of the good guys dying a lot more personally. I don't think there's a huge imbalance, it just affects as a lot more when a dude like Oberyn goes down. Let's not forget The Mountain is dead now, too.

The characters somewhere in the middle of the morality scale are the ones that tend to survive, I find.

IceCold

Holy shit at the ending. Simply amazing, this is why I love this show.

Also, my god at Nathalie Emmanuel. Goddamn she's beautiful.

elfinke

The last 1500 posts in this thread have been amazing. Almost as good as the episode that preceded them. It was as predictable as can be I thought, and was better for it. I would have been more surprised if the fight ended any other way.

Seeing Sansa begin to 'play the game' was excellent, too, her very subtle facial expressions in between the crocodile tears amazing. I keep waiting for Theon to turn/return, I'm curious to know where that storyline ends up.

Good stuff, GoT. Roll on next week!

I know everyone's still reeling from Oberyn, me included, but i'm sitting here rewatching and the scene where Daenarys exiles Jorah came on. Anyone think she overacted a tad? I mean jesus, I could see never allowing him to be alone with her again, but totally kicking him out? I hate when characters don't speak as plainly as they should in situations that count.

Jorah should have said something like "listen, I was given a way to earn a royal pardon by spying on a girl I didn't even know at the time, you. After spending time with you, I dedicated my life to serving you because I believe in you. I suspected what they're plans were, saved your life, and have never looked back." Even with the way it was in the show, if i'm Jorah and I know i'm getting exiled, I would have atleast gone out with something like "okay, but just remember that long streatch of time where it was just me and you, and the many times I guarded and saved your life and guided you. I was with you before the dragons and before the armies. Either i'm your loyal servant, or this is the most drawn out assassination attempt in history."

We all knew that pardon was going to screw things up sooner or later for him. Jorah just can't catch a break.

Here's my thing, Selmy was Kingsguard and I think in the meeting where Robert ordered the hit on Daenarys. Ned was arguing against it. Selmy knew that Jonah was a spy for Robert way back. So isn't he just as guilty?

Not to mention all the people they fight are top tier at what they do. Rob Stark is the best strategist in the show, but he decides to hang out as his mom's house for a season before he makes the obvious move of attacking Casterly Rock. Stannis is a proven battle commander, but he gets held back by a dwarf who's only been in one battle. And Oberyn comes out as the best duelist we've seen so far, but he dies even after he won the fight. I have no problem with a story where the villains win, in fact, I've wanted to see a show like that for a long time. But the villains need to earn their victories in plausible ways just like the heroes do. Like I said before, this show is filled with diablo ex machinas.

You've got Tyrion on both sides for your examples. He succeeds in one instance, loses in another.

Throw in Jaime at his prime(hand intact), and we've got a fight!

I feel like Jamie would get muscled and rolled over by The Mountain. Drogo is an agile fighter like Oberyn, but I'm not sure he'd have the same level of skill or the right weapon to deal with The Mountain. Same with Bronn. I figured Bronn would be a good match for him at first, but Oberyn's range really helped him out.

I feel like Jamie would get muscled and rolled over by The Mountain. Drogo is an agile fighter like Oberyn, but I'm not sure he'd have the same level of skill or the right weapon to deal with The Mountain. Same with Bronn. I figured Bronn would be a good match for him at first, but Oberyn's range really helped him out.

Jamie (In his prime) and Bronn would both be rolled by the Mountain. Jamie would have the skill but not endurance to take the Mountian as he would have probably suited up. Bronn is a standard dirty fighter and would only fight when and where he has an advantage. On the battlefield Bronn would use the environment and every trick to his advantage. In a one on one even playing field, he wouldn't have stood a chance.

Joe T.

Here's my thing, Selmy was Kingsguard and I think in the meeting where Robert ordered the hit on Daenarys. Ned was arguing against it. Selmy knew that Jonah was a spy for Robert way back. So isn't he just as guilty?

He wasn't there if I recall correctly. Robert didn't trust him, so Selmy didn't take part in the small council meetings.

Vagabundo

That episode was a point nine on the Red Wedding scale.

I'm getting flashbacks to season one; Ned ready for the chop. You won't fool me twice GRRM, I know you'll do it.

Please don't. <sob>

Alpende

I watched the episode last night and damn. I was rooting for Oberyn so hard and he had to fuck it up, just kill the damn fool. I take it The Mountain is dead as well right?

Wondering what happens next, are they going to show Mance Rayder's army vs. The Night's Watch this season or will that be a cliffhanger, is Jorah going to make it back to King's Lading and spill the beans on Dany? This season still has so many things going on.

Jonm1010

Banned
Drogo gets his weapon stuck in The Mountain's armor and then gets his head bursted.
Drogo had basically the quickness of the viper, minus the acrobatics, with three times the size and strength and none of the revenge stuff clouding his judgement.

Plus he had obviously proven himself the most badass warrior on a continent. I'd probably put my money on drogo against a much slower and one dimensional opponent.

First to die, I assume?

Some other posters in this thread said so.

But I refuse to believe Tyrion has no more chance at surviving. So. Im hanging on the sliver of hope that maybe they'd be like. Well, there no winners leaving the arena, so.

But that hope is dying by the minute that I post at this thread because you guys are so stronk with the UNHOPE.

.__.

I still refuse to believe Tyrion's dying though! Nooo.

Drogo had basically the quickness of the viper, minus the acrobatics, with three times the size and strength and none of the revenge stuff clouding his judgement.

Plus he had obviously proven himself the most badass warrior on a continent. I'd probably put my money on drogo against a much slower and one dimensional opponent.

that shit means nothing when you use a shitty weapon that can't get through armor

the Bloodrider(meaning he was in top 5 of the entire hoard) that fought Jorah danced around and was fast as hell too, once his Arakh got stuck he was finished,

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Overall I thought it was a pretty mediocre episode with just a few bright spots.

Couple of places just felt odd. Arya's laugh was so forced and overacted. Dany dismissing Jorah felt weird the way it was shot. Unsullied romance out of place and awkward. And the Mountain killing Oby felt like he was playing possum rather than being the last defiant act of a mortally wounded warrior on deaths door it was supposed to be.

Sansa was great. And wow as her coming out as a woman, no longer a submissive girl. Have never found her attractive until she showed up in that dress dripping with confidence.

For those speculating on whether Tyrion is going to get out on the basis of a "draw", you already have your answer. Tywin saw the Mountain die and called it as "not a win" for Tyrion. The trial was enough of a farce that anything other than a decisive win for Tyrion would be called against him.

I hold hope that escape is an option, though I'm not sure I can think of a supporting character that will lay it all on the line for him. Bron? Jamie? Tyrion has consistently been one of the most interesting and best acted characters so I hope he pulls through. But if he survives it won't be due to a legal challenge on a technicality.

Episode will probably open with Tyrion getting beheaded and Martin having a cameo pointing at the screen laughing.

Honestly though, I can't really see where his storyline would go after getting off the hook. He already declared that he wants everyone in Kings Landing dead, and he has been betrayed by everyone who ever remotely was on his side. Also, he spend like the last five hundred episodes in his cell having good bye monologues to everyone he ever met.

Episode will probably open with Tyrion getting beheaded and Martin having a cameo pointing at the screen laughing.

Honestly though, I can't really see where his storyline would go after getting off the hook. He already declared that he wants everyone in Kings Landing dead, and he has been betrayed by everyone who ever remotely was on his side. Also, he spend like the last five hundred episodes in his cell having good bye monologues to everyone he ever met.

He's gonna get saved by a dragon and become the dragon rider for danys army. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

edit: Anyone else thinking that Stannis is going to team up with the Boltons? "Hey, I'll help you fight the walkers, you help me take King's Landing afterwards."

Bolton: Sure thing. Right after we celebrate our victory with a flaying.

He betrayed Robb Stark. I bet he wouldn't think twice about crossing Stannis. Also I don't think their problems with the Greyjoys are over just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom