• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Is he really? I mean he goes from smashing someone's head to dying the next instant? It felt like he collapsed from exhaustion to me.

stabbed with a spear three times during the fight fight, he was impaled through his chest near the end, his achilles tendon was sliced

if he ain't dead, he won't be able to fight again. Maybe he'll join the Small Council, get some character development? I can already see it, long walks in the garden with Cersei

untitledddfqfxb.png

Something that popped up on Facebook.
They look awesome.

After calming down a bit, I'd have to say looking at it now, the good guys have gotten some pretty big wins this season, despite the horrific death of an amazing character:
- Jaime no longer willing to do anything for his sister/father, will either be neutral or enemy by the end of the season
- IF Tyrion makes it out alive, he will move from neutral to enemy against both sister and father
- Joffrey is dead
- Dorne likely to move from neutral to enemies with Lannisters and actually do something next season
- Sansa starting to move into a player, I'd imagine by season 6 she'll start making moves
- Mountain's confession potentially causing big issues for Tywin?
- Lysa dying. Maybe she wasn't a pure bad guy really, just madly in love and half insane, but she's dead nonetheless
- Crastor's Keep mutineers getting theirs
- Ghost back with Jon <3 (thank you for the edit davidsaurus)
- Stannis not sulking like a jackass all season (is he good?)

- Littlefinger potentially moving from helping the Lannisters to taking them down from now on?! This one is iffy, guessing territory...

That death was in the top 5 of the most horrific deaths I've seen on television when you look at the context. I think Robb's or his mother's depending on the perspective falls into that line as well. The good guys just seem to have some horrific deaths in this series, but there's definitely a sense of equilibrium in terms of bad things happening to good and bad guys, if you even want to diversify the characters that far.. once looking it at it from a rational point of view after collecting all your tears.

CloudWolf

It was at that moment I realized she is gorgeous! I know it was a weird time, but anyone who can scream like that and still look hot is gorgeous in my book.

I already knew that after watching Rome. She's beautiful and a great actress to boot.

udiie

Oberyn kicked The Mountain's arse by playing a lot of Dark Souls and learning how to use invincibility frames of flips/rolls to avoid the latter's slow, telegraphed attacks. Stuck him with a spear a few times and had him down for the count. Then got all "I have to use my taunt before checking if he's actually dead" and The Mountain took advantage of his ego overruling sensible, tactical fighting, took out his feet, grabbed his head while lunging over him, and said "YES I RAPED YOUR SISTER THEN I CRUSHED HER HEAD LIKE THIS" and made a Oberyn brain milkshake.

Sansa defended Littlefinger by dropping truth bombs mixed with lies to sell the idea that her aunt had committed suicide, and now seems to have turned into a Sith Apprentice in cahoots with Littlefinger.

Grey Worm saw Milisawhateverthefuckhernameis' boobs and apologised but she dug it cos he's a total babe.

Dany found out Jorah betrayed her all those years ago and threw a tantrum, ignoring all the work he's done for her since, and threw him out on his arse. Jorah confessed his love so he's heartbroken but at least he doesn't have to deal with her shit any more.

Theon now Reek pretending to be Theon managed to take some Ironborn settlement at the request of Ramsey with the promise of letting them go free. And in a predictable Bolton twist they all got flayed for fun. Ramsey is now officially a Bolton because daddy is proud.

The wildlings killed a bunch of people because they're dumb fucks but let the chick from Skins and her baby go because empathy.

John and everyone else at the wall are shitting themselves.

Tyrion and Jamie bonded over bugs.

this is some mandrake level shit hahaha

Gila

In argument for people complaining that Oberyn should of killed him when he had the chance instead of "taunting" or wanting to hear the confession, Benioff makes a valid point that the Mountain was a small fish and Oberyn was truly after Tywin. All the lords and audience hearing a confession from the Mountain was more of a victor than Oberyn killing him. So in unusual way, Oberyn still might of won the fight he wanted to fight - obviously not Tyrion.

http://youtu.be/RB3vgeMijCc (around 8:30)
(It's not spoilerish, it's simply a recap of the episode with commentary)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
- Lysa dying. Maybe she wasn't a pure bad guy really, just madly in love and half insane, but she's dead nonetheless

- Littlefinger potentially moving from helping the Lannisters to taking them down from now on?! This one is iffy, guessing territory...

You might want to go back and listen to what she says again to really get the full picture and the implications of what she says to Sansa. It's been covered in the show already so it isn't really a spoiler as such.

Long story short, Lysa and Little Finger kinda started the whole war.

In "Inside episode 8" Benioff says he's poisoned.
So I guess Red Viper always coats his blade with a poison?

They made a point of showing the kid "polishing" the spears multiple times.

You might want to go back and listen to what she says again to really get the full picture and the implications of what she says to Sansa. It's been covered in the show already so it isn't really a spoiler as such.

Long story short, Lysa and Little Finger kinda started the whole war.

They made a point of showing the kid "polishing" the spears multiple times.
I did and I know. She killed her husband, but we didn't know much about him to place her as a villain. There's far worse people that a desperate lover whose a bit messed in the head being manipulated by the mastermind Littlefinger. What I mean for Littlefinger is not where he sees Lannisters as enemies now, but whether he will start to actively go against them now from the shadows, more pronounced the before.

Philippo

Oberyn kicked The Mountain's arse by playing a lot of Dark Souls and learning how to use invincibility frames of flips/rolls to avoid the latter's slow, telegraphed attacks. Stuck him with a spear a few times and had him down for the count. Then got all "I have to use my taunt before checking if he's actually dead" and The Mountain took advantage of his ego overruling sensible, tactical fighting, took out his feet, grabbed his head while lunging over him, and said "YES I RAPED YOUR SISTER THEN I CRUSHED HER HEAD LIKE THIS" and made a Oberyn brain milkshake.

Sansa defended Littlefinger by dropping truth bombs mixed with lies to sell the idea that her aunt had committed suicide, and now seems to have turned into a Sith Apprentice in cahoots with Littlefinger.

Grey Worm saw Milisawhateverthefuckhernameis' boobs and apologised but she dug it cos he's a total babe.

Dany found out Jorah betrayed her all those years ago and threw a tantrum, ignoring all the work he's done for her since, and threw him out on his arse. Jorah confessed his love so he's heartbroken but at least he doesn't have to deal with her shit any more.

Theon now Reek pretending to be Theon managed to take some Ironborn settlement at the request of Ramsey with the promise of letting them go free. And in a predictable Bolton twist they all got flayed for fun. Ramsey is now officially a Bolton because daddy is proud.

The wildlings killed a bunch of people because they're dumb fucks but let the chick from Skins and her baby go because empathy.

Laughed more than i should have, now i want your recaps every week.

Zeppu

In "Inside episode 8" Benioff says he's poisoned.
So I guess Red Viper always coats his blade with a poison?

Another thing which was barely touched upon. What exactly was Littlefinger's move when the threw Lysa into the Moon Door? He seemed surprised that Sansa lied to defend him yet he threw her aunt to her death and sort of expected everything to turn out okay? He's such a calculating character, I can't believe he assumed his word would be taken for granted or that somehow things would just turn out okay in the end.

Zelias

Banned
Just watched the episode. That was brutal. Oberyn, why'd you have to be so dumb ;_;

He was one of the best characters this season right up until he decided that staying within reach of the downed Mountain was a good idea, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by his death. Least he messed up the Mountain pretty good, to say nothing of the potential political consequences of this.

UrbanRats

In argument for people complaining that Oberyn should of killed him when he had the chance instead of "taunting" or wanting to hear the confession, Benioff makes a valid point that the Mountain was a small fish and Oberyn was truly after Tywin. All the lords and audience hearing a confession from the Mountain was more of a victor than Oberyn killing him. So in unusual way, Oberyn still might of won the fight he wanted to fight - obviously not Tyrion.

He didn't get a confession tying Tywin to the rape/murder of his sister though.
Yeah the Mountain confessed to have killed and raped the woman, but nobody really gives a shit, because you look at the mountain and just assume that he probably did some awful shit, nevermind the fact that he's dead or close to being dead.
However the Mountain didn't say anything about Tywin in his "confession", so i don't see how he could consider this a win in any way shape or form.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
They look awesome.

After calming down a bit, I'd have to say looking at it now, the good guys have gotten some pretty big wins this season, despite the horrific death of an amazing character:
- Jaime no longer willing to do anything for his sister/father, will either be neutral or enemy by the end of the season
- IF Tyrion makes it out alive, he will move from neutral to enemy against both sister and father
- Joffrey is dead
- Dorne likely to move from neutral to enemies with Lannisters and actually do something next season
- Sansa starting to move into a player, I'd imagine by season 6 she'll start making moves
- Mountain's confession potentially causing big issues for Tywin?
- Crastor's Keep mutineers getting theirs
- Ghost back with Jon <3 (thank you for the edit davidsaurus)
- Stannis not sulking like a jackass all season (is he good?)

That death was in the top 5 of the most horrific deaths I've seen on television when you look at the context. I think Robb's or his mother's depending on the perspective falls into that line as well. The good guys just seem to have some horrific deaths in this series, but there's definitely a sense of equilibrium in terms of bad things happening to good and bad guys, if you even want to diversify the characters that far.. once looking it at it from a rational point of view after collecting all your tears.
there are very very few pure good or bad characters in the series. some are a bit more good then bad and vice versa but mostly they are all on the middle ground.
thats what makes the series so great.

Slowdive

Banned

Haha, nice.

UrbanRats

Dark Souls 2's bullshit hitboxes strike again!

Nikodemos

Another thing which was barely touched upon. What exactly was Littlefinger's move when the threw Lysa into the Moon Door? He seemed surprised that Sansa lied to defend him yet he threw her aunt to her death and sort of expected everything to turn out okay? He's such a calculating character, I can't believe he assumed his word would be taken for granted or that somehow things would just turn out okay in the end.
He expected her to simply go along with the whole Alayne thing, rather than retcon the story in a more believable way which also happened to place her in a position of higher influence.

Man, that episode left me feeling gutted up until I fell asleep. Horrific outcomes is now becoming this shows predictable, "happy endings" it seemed to so refreshingly buck early on. Where you can always expect a typical show to end with everything AOK, I just now expect any hint of positivity in GoT to be smashed like a little beetle by something horrible and shocking. Arya probably has tetanus, Jaime will forced to marry a boot full of shit tied to a tree halfway across the globe, and Jon Snow will find out he is a father right before a bird shits in his mouth with mega-SARS.

Also, Dany's storyline is moving at white walker pace at this point. What season can we call her, Spring?, because if Winter is taking its sweet fucking time getting here, Spring is still going to be a distant second. Just take your dragons for a little spin, just ride them a little, fucking anything. Go fly them and pull up along side Jorah and be all like, "come on baby, get back in the car, come on. You know I'm sorry. Baby, get in the fucking car!"

neorej

ERMYGERD!
He didn't get a confession tying Tywin to the rape/murder of his sister though.
Yeah the Mountain confessed to have killed and raped the woman, but nobody really gives a shit, because you look at the mountain and just assume that he probably did some awful shit, nevermind the fact that he's dead or close to being dead.
However the Mountain didn't say anything about Tywin in his "confession", so i don't see how he could consider this a win in any way shape or form.

It's been established that The Mountain doesn't do jack unless ordered to. He's a beast capable of atrocities, but he's one that takes orders. In the first season he stops fighting on command by Robert Baretheon.
Admitting his crimes he committed while under Lannister command implicates Tywin as the true criminal who ordered the execution of Elia Martell. Ellaria might return to Dorne, report the confession and we might see house Martell reunited with house Targaryen, since Elia was married to a Targaryen.

Zeppu

He expected her to simply go along with the whole Alayne thing, rather than retcon the story in a more believable way which also happened to place her in a position of higher influence.

How would her being Alayne have solved anything or gotten him out of the predicament?

Are we just assuming that everyone heard the Mountain's confession? It was a big arena, and he wasn't exactly yelling it loud enough for everyone in the crowd to hear it. I thought he was just saying it loud enough for Oberyn to hear it and no one else. Then again, through the power of TV magic, I suppose everyone heard it.

In either case, I'm not going to rewatch the scene to find out. Just throwing this out there.

That did not disappoint

/dead

Enco

Instead of good guys always winning cliche we have bad guys always winning.

It's becoming a cliche and really needs to be changed up or the show will be too predictable whenever something big happens.

There needs to be balance.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

It's becoming a cliche and really needs to be changed up or the show will be too predictable whenever something big happens.

Who exactly are the good guys in this show?

caesar

Banned

Joffrey died like 6 episodes ago.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haha, my housemate smoked up and watched the most recent episode with his missus tonight, and really felt that last scene. Been a couple of hours and he's so down about it, came in to tell me he's convinced people will just stop watching the show now. One plot device that drives him mad (not at the device, but the emotional resonance it produces) is the "heroic character has easy victory snatched away at last second due to ego", and it really, really go to him here.

He's so bummed.

jey_16

Banned
Myrcella is in Dorne as well...which Martell was she meant to get married to? Surely that would worry Cersei that they could do something to her....or at least threaten to

E92 M3

Haha, my housemate smoked up and watched the most recent episode with his missus tonight, and really felt that last scene. Been a couple of hours and he's so down about it, came in to tell me he's convinced people will just stop watching the show now. One plot device that drives him mad (not at the device, but the emotional resonance it produces) is the "heroic character has easy victory snatched away at last second due to ego", and it really, really go to him here.

He's so bummed.

It was really sad - the Viper had it in the bag. Definitely sadder than anything else in the show - at least for me.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm feeling pretty bummed out by it too, very surprised at how hard it hit me. Can't stop thinking about it and how everything in the show just turns to ash and shit. So bleak.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I think HBO made that shit too personal

They shouldn't have shown as much as they did. They would have gotten the point across with visuals lol

shamo42

Just finished the episode. It wasn't the gore that shocked me but the fact that Oberyn had already won and still got his head crushed. He was too careless! He didn't even look at the Mountain anymore at the end. We'll miss you Oberyn!

Now joining team "Stannis the badass Mannis"!

Did Tywin really order Oberyn's sister to be murdered? I can't remember. Was it explained why he would do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom