• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

I was genuinely surprised by the way the scene played out. I thought he was going to last through the season at least. I don't agree with you on an exploding head as being cliche however, but I bet you're referring to Oberynon's hubris being the cliche downfall.

Yeah, I meant his hubris being his downfall being cliche, not the head exploding bit. It reminded me of the overly long monologue villains give right before they are about to kill the hero, only to have the tables turned on them at the last moment because they were too busy giving a stupid ass speech.

I've just seen this kind of thing a thousand times before and frankly - it's just lazy writing.

EDIT: That being said, I don't want to be too negative on this episode because as I mentioned in my previous post, I really enjoyed Sansa's scene.

Brofist

Oberyn tried to get up but he was already being manhandled.

The Mountain can lift grown men up as though they were children.

The first thing Oberyn tries to do is get back up. He knows that lying on his back is certain death. The Mountain grabs him by the back of the neck.

It doesn't matter how awkward it is. The point of the scene is that The Mountain can manhandle anyone given the opportunity.

Once he had Oberyn at arm's length, the fight was over.

I wouldn't dispute any of that, but the original point still stands. There is no way he got his right hand under him after tripping him to the ground with that same hand. On reviewing it on the YouTube clip it's obvious that it's a weird cut. Could have been made to be a bit smoother in transition.

They're casting for the actors and have picked a place, Dorne returns in season 5 I believe. So yeah.. I would expect some retaliation. They seem like passionate people, it would be weird if they let this slide.

Let what slide? Oberyn chose to be Tyrion's champion. And was killed because of it. His death was as fair as it could be in GoT universe.

Nameless

then comes the lookers: newDaario, Oberyn, Jaime, Grey Worm, Jaqen

You have odd tastes, YesNO...

Jaqen_Faceless_Man_Valar.png

Yeah, I meant his hubris being his downfall being cliche, not the head exploding bit. It reminded me of the overly long monologue villains give right before they are about to kill the hero, only to have the tables turned on them at the last moment because they were too busy giving a stupid ass speech.

I've just seen this kind of thing a thousand times before and frankly - it's just lazy writing.

Agreed, it felt like a Bond film.

Nerokis

I can't even watch this because of the screaming in the background.

]I've just seen this kind of thing a thousand times before and frankly - it's just lazy writing.

What happened isn't really comparable to those villain monologues, though. It'd be lazy writing if he randomly began dropping a rant right as he was on the verge of finishing the Mountain off, sure, but that's not how the fight was written. From the outset, we knew Oberyn wanted a confession. We knew his intentions, we knew he wanted a sense of certainty, we knew his vision of what justice/proper revenge would look like. Throughout the entire encounter, there's a steady rhythm of him asking for a confession and building up injuries on the Mountain, the former escalating into a clear rage and the latter into a spear in the chest. At his most emotional, Oberyn briefly let his guard down, blatantly underestimating how much the Mountain still had left in him. One mistake, one opening, and we saw the result. That's not somehow an inherently lazy scenario.

I also don't get why so many are acting like the desire for a confession was somehow secondary. If he simply wanted to kill the Mountain, he would have. Nor do I understand why it's apparently so odd that, yeah, Oberyn was the more emotional, less focused participant in this encounter. I have a feeling it's mostly a matter that people really, really wanted Oberyn to live, and simply can't see past the fact that he could have lived had things gone slightly differently.

What happened isn't really comparable to those villain monologues, though. It'd be lazy writing if he randomly began dropping a rant right as he was on the verge of finishing the Mountain off, sure, but that's not how the fight was written. From the outset, we knew Oberyn wanted a confession. We knew his intentions, we knew he wanted a sense of certainty, we knew his vision of what justice/proper revenge would look like. Throughout the entire encounter, there's a steady rhythm of him asking for a confession and building up injuries on the Mountain, the former escalating into a clear rage and the latter into a spear in the chest. At his most emotional, Oberyn briefly let his guard down, blatantly underestimating how much the Mountain still had left in him. One mistake, one opening, and we saw the result. That's not somehow an inherently lazy scenario.

I also don't get why so many are acting like the desire for a confession was somehow secondary. If he simply wanted to kill the Mountain, he would have. Nor do I understand why it's apparently so odd that, yeah, Oberyn was the more emotional, less focused participant in this encounter. I have a feeling it's mostly a matter of people really, really wanted Oberyn to live, and simply can't see past the fact that he could have lived had things gone slightly differently.

Agreed. Not only that, but he wanted a direct implication to Tywin, even pointing his polearm at him while screaming.

Cipherr

No decent people in this show live. Jesus Christ. I'm wondering at this point if Martin is just sadist.

This is the big one here. We lose lots of great characters but I'm expecting it to be a churn by this point.

We get a new character, charismatic actor, fun to watch, and I begin to feel the bitter taste of Momma and Brother Stark dying last season, then they fucking destroy Oberyn before this season even ends. Its like JESUS fucking Christ. At some point I expect them to let a good guy live just to throw us off a bit, but nope.

Just killem all. And now it looks like Tyrion is gone too? I mean fuck me dude. Bring on the white walkers. Fuck all of it. Fuck it all.

t0rment

at this point i'm just watching for the white walkers come in and fuck everything up. after tyrion's gone i have no character that i like on this.
edit: i actually don't know if tyrion's gonna die, i'm just assuming because of this ep. but as they say, hope is the last thing to die.

Vire

I also don't get why so many are acting like the desire for a confession was somehow secondary. If he simply wanted to kill the Mountain, he would have. Nor do I understand why it's apparently so odd that, yeah, Oberyn was the more emotional, less focused participant in this encounter. I have a feeling it's mostly a matter that people really, really wanted Oberyn to live, and simply can't see past the fact that he could have lived had things gone slightly differently.

Yeah, I do understand the rational behind why he wanted the confession, so I guess it is slightly better than the aforementioned villain monologues. But I still wasn't particularly satisfied with how it played out. That being said, you are correct in that me wanting Oberyn to live probably plays a part in being salty about the whole ordeal.

BPoole

So that has to be the most gruesome death in any show ever, right? I've seen all sorts of crazy deaths in movies, TV, abd games, but that was gut wrenching. I figured Doran was going to die, but holy shit.

Nameless

So that has to be the most gruesome death in any show ever, right? I've seen all sorts of crazy deaths in movies, TV, abd games, but that was gut wrenching. I figured Doran was going to die, but holy shit.

Spartacus was more violent and had more sex.

NoTacos

That letter had me confused as well because I saw the hand of the king symbol, but old boy ended up confessing it was backed by truth.

Revolver

This is the big one here. We lose lots of great characters but I'm expecting it to be a churn by this point.

We get a new character, charismatic actor, fun to watch, and I begin to feel the bitter taste of Momma and Brother Stark dying last season, then they fucking destroy Oberyn before this season even ends. Its like JESUS fucking Christ. At some point I expect them to let a good guy live just to throw us off a bit, but nope.

Just killem all. And now it looks like Tyrion is gone too? I mean fuck me dude. Bring on the white walkers. Fuck all of it. Fuck it all.

Yeah I'm almost ready for the white walkers to just end this shit. Arya, Daenerys and Tyrion are my favorites now but I'm not expecting any of them to make it out of this meat grinder of a show alive.

RoKKeR

I feel like the beetle part was the most important part of the episode but I can't quite nail down why yet.

They wouldn't have spent so much time on it if it was nothing.

kaskade

I'm still feeling Oberyn's death. I remember the first time he showed up I didn't like him then he grew on me. The fact that we lost him so quickly saddens me, and that he could've avoided the death.

I know everyone's still reeling from Oberyn, me included, but i'm sitting here rewatching and the scene where Daenarys exiles Jorah came on. Anyone think she overacted a tad? I mean jesus, I could see never allowing him to be alone with her again, but totally kicking him out? I hate when characters don't speak as plainly as they should in situations that count.

Jorah should have said something like "listen, I was given a way to earn a royal pardon by spying on a girl I didn't even know at the time, you. After spending time with you, I dedicated my life to serving you because I believe in you. I suspected what they're plans were, saved your life, and have never looked back." Even with the way it was in the show, if i'm Jorah and I know i'm getting exiled, I would have atleast gone out with something like "okay, but just remember that long streatch of time where it was just me and you, and the many times I guarded and saved your life and guided you. I was with you before the dragons and before the armies. Either i'm your loyal servant, or this is the most drawn out assassination attempt in history."

We all knew that pardon was going to screw things up sooner or later for him. Jorah just can't catch a break.

Nose Master

I know everyone's still reeling from Oberyn, me included, but i'm sitting here rewatching and the scene where Daenarys exiles Jorah came on. Anyone think she overacted a tad? I mean jesus, I could see never allowing him to be alone with her again, but totally kicking him out? I hate when characters don't speak as plainly as they should in situations that count.

Jorah should have said something like "listen, I was given a way to earn a royal pardon by spying on a girl I didn't even know at the time, you. After spending time with you, I dedicated my life to serving you because I believe in you. I suspected what they're plans were, saved your life, and have never looked back." Even with the way it was in the show, if i'm Jorah and I know i'm getting exiled, I would have atleast gone out with something like "okay, but just remember that long streatch of time where it was just me and you, and the many times I guarded and saved your life and guided you. I was with you before the dragons and before the armies. Either i'm your loyal servant, or this is the most drawn out assassination attempt in history."

We all knew that pardon was going to screw things up sooner or later for him. Jorah just can't catch a break.

He's lucky he got away with his life. To learn someone who you've trusted that long was (even a former) spy is pretty inexcusable.

Revolver

Yeah I thought she overreacted and it'll come back to bite her in the butt down the line. I felt bad for Jorah and once again Tywin sets a plan in motion that will no doubt work to his advantage.

MilkBeard

damn. Just saw the episode. That was one of the most gruesome deaths I've seen. Almost makes me sick.

But holy shit. I knew it was up in the air. The key I think to why this sort of thing is so impactful is that as soon as the viewer might get some sort of satisfaction, some sense of gratification, it is ripped out from you.

The thing about writing is that anything is predictable, or you could say that everything has been done before. But with George R.R. Martin you know it could go either way. And when it finally comes down to it, it still hits you like a sack of bricks.

Anyway, crazy episode, and I'm gonna go dip my head in a river in hopes that I can get that blasted crushed skull out of my mind.

He's lucky he got away with his life. To learn someone who you've trusted that long was (even a former) spy is pretty inexcusable.

I hear ya, but wouldn't Selmy most likely still be fighting for the crown/lannisters if he had not been forced into retirement? I know he was a leftover from the Mad King but still. And like Jorah said, Daario just up and killed his old masters when he got tired of following orders.

Everyone's honor can be brought into question in some way. I could see if he was spying on Daenarys Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, and her plans to retake Westeros... but he was spying on a girl who had nothing, no power or plans, who no one knew or cared about, who was being married to some Khal in the desert.

Jonm1010

Banned

Not to mention that the man standing next to her, Barristan Selmy, was a member of the kings guard - switched his loyalties from the Targareyns to the Baratheons and then to the Lannisters - and only joined Dany after he was stripped of his title and he left in outrage(rightfully so) but in the eyes of dany should probably be questioned in his loyalty just as much as Jorah. If not more so.

And at least in Jorah's case, as you said, he proved his loyalty over time and when put to the test chose her. Which she can't say about Barristan.

Frankly I can still see Dany shunning him but I thought it was executed poorly and was written in a way that made it difficult to accept logically. Frankly I think her acting in this instance was a reflection of a poorly written scene.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Spartacus was more violent and had more sex.

I have see Spartacus, it is more violent but I can watch 10 people die fighting compare to 1 important character that grew on me. That too a brutal death. Spartacus never moved me in a way Game Of Thrones did many times now.

Kvik

This....Dany was pretty damn lenient to exile Jorah instead of outright beheading him.

The dude really can't catch a break. He had an expensive wife, had to sell slaves to afford it, and got exiled as a result. Then after he met a khaleesi, he let go the chance of being pardoned only to get friendzoned, and then got caught in one of Tywin's stratagems and exiled the second time.

I wonder if it's the last of Jorah we'll see.

I'm still shaken up from that ending.

I don't think Tyrion is going to die next week though. Either Jaime helps him escape or they're rudely interrupted by Stannis.

Might be wishful thinking on my part though seeing as him and Arya are the only characters left I'm rooting for...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Poor Jorah has bluer balls than a white walker. Dude needs to get some then walk off peacefully into the sunset.

This Grey Worm/Missandei romance ais the most awkward thing. All he's known is to be a silent soldier so it's like he has to get permission to say anything.

Are they really setting up a twist that the Unsullied still have dicks or some kind of working sexual parts? Surely them bathing in range of each other would settle that...

I wonder if it's the last of Jorah we'll see.

I hope not. His voiceovers in the teaser trailers for each season are always the best lines. "There is a beast in every man..." "There's good and evil on both sides of every war fought"

My guess is he stalks around and protects her from afar and somewhere mid season 5 makes a dramatic save and is put back in her good graces. Something tells me that's too happy for this show, so they'll probably just ride past his rotting corpse in the desert one day.

potam

Banned
This Grey Worm/Missandei romance ais the most awkward thing.

Are they really setting up a twist that the Unsullied still have dicks? Surely them bathing in range of each other would settle that?

I don't care if the Unsullied still have 8 foot dicks, part of their entire badassery is the fact that they're stone cold soldiers with a single purpose. Now he's gonna fuckin' simp on that girl, Unsullied will become weak, and Dany will fall.... Maybe it's for the best then.

edit: Anyone else thinking that Stannis is going to team up with the Boltons? "Hey, I'll help you fight the walkers, you help me take King's Landing afterwards."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom