• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubus

I'm feeling pretty bummed out by it too, very surprised at how hard it hit me. Can't stop thinking about it and how everything in the show just turns to ash and shit. So bleak.
This :(.

Can't stop thinking about it, and talked about the episode all day at school with friends. The general mood in class was kinda depressing today, lol.

Amazing what this show does to people.

Vashetti

Banned
Just finished the episode. It wasn't the gore that shocked me but the fact that Oberyn had already won and still got his head crushed. He was too careless! He didn't even look at the Mountain anymore at the end. We'll miss you Oberyn!

Now joining team "Stannis the badass Mannis"!

Did Tywin really order Oberyn's sister to be murdered? I can't remember. Was it explained why he would do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Because she was married to Rhaegar Targaryen.

I'm feeling pretty bummed out by it too, very surprised at how hard it hit me. Can't stop thinking about it and how everything in the show just turns to ash and shit. So bleak.

awww :<

have some faith! i think usually the season ends at uplifting tone? dany's dragons' birth in season 1 and dany's victory in season 2... i think... um.

anyway i had a point somewhere. oh yea, im sure its not all bleak in the end :>

Kinyou

It was really sad - the Viper had it in the bag. Definitely sadder than anything else in the show - at least for me.
Not getting revenge for his sister but instead getting killed by the same guy is really the nasty part. I hope that the spear was really poisoned, would at least bring some justice.

televator

Doesn't Oberyn have an older brother? Can't imagine he'll be too happy with the Lanisters...

That would also mean that on the grand scale, Dorne and the Vale are not friendlies with Kings landing.

cebri.one

Just finished the episode. It wasn't the gore that shocked me but the fact that Oberyn had already won and still got his head crushed. He was too careless! He didn't even look at the Mountain anymore at the end. We'll miss you Oberyn!

Now joining team "Stannis the badass Mannis"!

Did Tywin really order Oberyn's sister to be murdered? I can't remember. Was it explained why he would do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

When Oberyn arrives to Kings Landing and talks to Tyrion before the wedding they talk about it.

It's better explained in the books though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I don't know if he specifically ordered her murder. I don't think the show has made that clear, even if Oberyn believes it. Tywin may have, but he also may have simply ordered The Mountain to lead his men to take the castle where Oberyn's sister and her children were saying, with no regard for what they'd do to her (maybe secretly hoping The Mountain would end them).

Tywin is happy to make people disappear but he's also arguably the most politically savvy person in Westeros and I can't imagine he'd be super crazy about pissing off Dorn. Maybe he was shitty she was murdered. Maybe he ordered it specifically. Maybe he didn't care one way or the other and it just happened.

None of that mattered to Oberyn, as from his perspective (and rightly so) The Mountain did rape and kill his sister, then murdered her children, and all of this happened under the military leadership of Tywin. Even if it wasn't ordered Oberyn wanted justice, justice that never happened. The Mountain faced no charges, and his sister's death was rendered inconsequential to the Lannisters.

UrbanRats

It's been established that The Mountain doesn't do jack unless ordered to. He's a beast capable of atrocities, but he's one that takes orders. In the first season he stops fighting on command by Robert Baretheon.
Admitting his crimes he committed while under Lannister command implicates Tywin as the true criminal who ordered the execution of Elia Martell. Ellaria might return to Dorne, report the confession and we might see house Martell reunited with house Targaryen, since Elia was married to a Targaryen.

Such an implication could've been made before, i mean, it's one of those "everyone knows it, but nobody can say it".
And at this point they are not really closer to have anything concrete, since it's just an assumption, that the Mountain can't do anything on its own, an assumption Tywin could easily deny without having anyone able to contradict him with any sort of proof.

solarus

I JUST SAW THE EPISODE AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
I thought there was no way they would kill Oberyn, no fucking way. Like the Mountain seems like the obvious winner and I thought theyd go for the whole suprising angle of having this guy who seems a lot weaker since he uses no armour and heavy weapons and have him win. God and the way it was done was soul crushing, oberyn screaming while the mountain confesses what he did...and he fucking smashes his head in. We only just got Oberyn and they had been fleshing him out as a character, I thought he'd be a mainstay for a while.
I can't take this show anymore.

Ovid

Episode 9 has got to be some crows (watchers @ The Wall) dying, because that shit has not happened yet, the Wildlings are on the rampage, and as you'll recall, this was the poster HBO put out to promo S4 starting:

game-of-thrones-all-men-must-die-poster-11x17_500.jpg

Could mean the end of Jon Snow :( I hope not!

Edit: Of course, that is the three-eyed raven, so that really could mean anything. :p
Who knows ALL of the crows might die, including Jon. You see the feathers falling off of the raven so that might be the case.

Ygritte is going tear him a new one.

Seriously though, there are only 100 crows left and Mance has 100,000 (including giants). The crows can't survive an attack like that.

awww :<

have some faith! i think usually the season ends at uplifting tone? dany's dragons' birth in season 1 and dany's victory in season 2... i think... um.

anyway i had a point somewhere. oh yea, im sure its not all bleak in the end :>

It is going to take a lot more than some Dany plot advancement to bring me back from the possible loss of Peter Dinklage from the show. That is what made it so fucking brutal. Not only did I want Oberyn to win for the sake of Tyrion, but I was starting to like Oberyn as well. That one death means the loss of Oberyn (obviously), likely Tyrion (the best actor on the show), in addition to the emotional resonance this has on another highly likable character, Jaime. It was just a cascading gut punch.

It is funny how your attachment to the characters through the actors completely shifts the weight of the story lines. I wonder how different I would feel about characters if I read the books. I am sure the show writers are aware of this and tweaking the story lines accordingly. Dany's performances have been really week this seasons so I can give two shits about her whole ordeal, no matter how much her conquests can potentially sway the direction of the world long term. Same with Stannis. I feel no attachment to him, whether that is due to the show writers or the actor.

I guess I don't see why Dorne would be all butt hurt over Oberyn getting curb stomped. He volunteered for the fight and lost
horrifically
. Now, if Twin ordered his sister to die (or whatnot)? I can see how that would cause some problems.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I definitely don't think we're done with Dorne.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's been established that The Mountain doesn't do jack unless ordered to. He's a beast capable of atrocities, but he's one that takes orders. In the first season he stops fighting on command by Robert Baretheon.

When the goddamn king tells you to stop flipping out like a madman anybody who wants to keep their head on their shoulder would stop. That's hardly obeying a command. Prior to this he'd lost his shit and was laying into the Tyrrell's prince with intent to kill, then fought his own brother with intent to kill, all after losing a jousting match and decapitating his own horse. And even after listening to the King (a delayed reaction compared to The Hound) he simply stormed off as a big "fuck you all". He managed Harrenhal in Tywin's absence and spent the entire time having people tortured. And Tywin sent him to burn the countryside when Rob and co decided to start a war.

I don't think The Mountain is so much a strict follower of orders (probably the opposite) as a nutcase with a set of unwritten rules and disclaimers you'll unavoidably get if you use him, and I figure Tywin knows this. He wouldn't need to tell him "sack the castle, kill the queen and her kids". He'd just tell him to take the castle knowing full well what he'd do without uttering the actual words.

Nameless

Looks like we're going to have a traditional finale this year if next week is indeed a static Night's Watch episode. Blackwater director Neil Marshall is doing it so it should be nuts. I'm ready for Julius Caesar to light the biggest fire the North has ever seen....hopefully Ghost doesn't die.

Trial aftermath + Arya/Hound/Brienne/Pod/Littlefinger/Sansa in the Vale to close out the season along with the customary episode 10 dragon appearance.

Crazy home stretch to what's already the best season of the show.

XAL

Uhh nope. Sandor Clegane stops fighting, his brother, the Mountain, does not yield to Robert's order.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Such an implication could've been made before, i mean, it's one of those "everyone knows it, but nobody can say it".
And at this point they are not really closer to have anything concrete, since it's just an assumption, that the Mountain can't do anything on its own, an assumption Tywin could easily deny without having anyone able to contradict him with any sort of proof.

The realm of Game of Thrones doesn't really need physical evidence. This is not Law & Order: Westeros. Hearsay and rumours are enough to kill someone. The confession of a loyal soldier combined with the death of Oberyn can be enough for Doran Martell to re-allign his house with the Targaryens.

Uhh nope. Sandor Clegane stops fighting, his brother, the Mountain, does not yield to Robert's order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaxzwlg9N_Q

He stops reluctantly at Robert's command.

snarge

I feel like I'm watching wrestling sometimes with GoT. They get a new up-and-comer, obviously talented, full of charisma. He's a little guy, but he's got great mic skills, and does a lot of cool flippy shit. Everyone likes him, so they put him in the spotlight. Then they let some huge body builder squash match him. Except they actually killed him.

Sansa with that heel turn, though. Like a little Stephanie McMahon.

UrbanRats

When the goddamn king tells you to stop flipping out like a madman anybody who wants to keep their head on their shoulder would stop. That's hardly obeying a command. Prior to this he'd lost his shit and was laying into the Tyrrell's prince with intent to kill, then fought his own brother with intent to kill, all after losing a jousting match and decapitating his own horse. And even after listening to the King (a delayed reaction compared to The Hound) he simply stormed off as a big "fuck you all". He managed Harrenhal in Tywin's absence and spent the entire time having people tortured. And Tywin sent him to burn the countryside when Rob and co decided to start a war.

I don't think The Mountain is so much a strict follower of orders (probably the opposite) as a nutcase with a set of unwritten rules and disclaimers you'll unavoidably get if you use him, and I figure Tywin knows this. He wouldn't need to tell him "sack the castle, kill the queen and her kids". He'd just tell him to take the castle knowing full well what he'd do without uttering the actual words.
Indeed, which is why i think to consider his (partial?) confession a "win" for Oberyn is an incredible stretch.
He didn't gain anything.

The realm of Game of Thrones doesn't really need physical evidence. This is not Law & Order: Westeros. Hearsay and rumours are enough to kill someone. The confession of a loyal soldier combined with the death of Oberyn can be enough for Doran Martell to re-allign his house with the Targaryens.
Which is why, if they already wanted to, they would've.
They don't need a nobody's confession to act on something.

The Mountain is a brainless maniac, his words aren't worth that much to anyone, and most likely everybody already *knew* all they needed to know, so if they wanted or not to go against the Lannister, they could've with or without the Mountain's words.

I think to consider it a winning move, or even a silver lining, to Oberyn's actions, is reaching for the stars and beyond.

So the Mountain killed someone, so what? Tywin can very easily say he didn't order any such thing, and execute the guy (if he isn't already dead), the Martell can team up with the Targaryens (or what's left of them) like they could before, regardless of Mountain's words, which have little to no weight on the whole matter.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Who knows ALL of the crows might die, including Jon. You see the feathers falling off of the raven so that might be the case.

Ygritte is going tear him a new one.

Seriously though, there are only 100 crows left and Mance has 100,000 (including giants). The crows can't survive an attack like that.
I'm wondering if the white walkers got to Mance's army. Instead of 100,000 warriors attacking with the small ambushing force attacking from the rear we will have a zombie horde 100,000 strong attacking the wall and the crows will join forces with the raiding party. For all the talk and foreshadowing of the white walkers from the very first scene of the show, they have done very little so far to even seem like a viable threat.

Same. To see such a cool and confident character die screaming in agony. In the most brutal and emasculating way imaginable.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm wondering if the white walkers got to Mance's army. Instead of 100,000 warriors attacking with the small ambushing force attacking from the rear we will have a zombie horde 100,000 strong attacking the wall and the crows will join forces with the raiding party. For all the talk and foreshadowing of the white walkers from the very first scene of the show, they have done very little so far to even seem like a viable threat.

yeah the supernatural is very strange in this show. it exists but seems to have a very limited effect on the show.

we have an ancient zombie horde doing... something. a bunch of goat eating dragons, an immortal guy who just seems to play robin hood, a face changing assassin who killed a bunch of mooks and then wandered off and a group of warlocks with scorpion balls and a not very pressing need to bother daenerys.

The giants breaking down the gates will be the most relevant supernatural event in the series so far.

What Spoiler? Am i implying anything? No.
he made a prediction on a characters fate and you told him he'd be surprised. that does in fact imply something.

here's a simple guideline: if you've read ahead and someone is hypothesising on future events, just don't say anything.

Arjen

I got spoiled by someone how the fight ended, but it still came as a shock how it happened.
It's getting harder and harder for people to keep their mouths shut it seems.

I got spoiled by someone how the fight ended, but it still came as a shock how it happened.
It's getting harder and harder for people to keep their mouths shut it seems.

From my social media perspective, things have become much better spoiler wise. Articles with headlines indicating the subject with no spoilers, twitter users making jokes or posting reactions with details that don't spoil but are obvious once you see the episode, etc.

I still avert my eyes any sliver of GoT I see on Monday's (I watch the show Monday nights) on the Internet, but I feel like there were way more spoilers sitting in the open from every which way a season or two ago.

What Spoiler? Am i implying anything? No.

STAHP

From my social media perspective, things have become much better spoiler wise. Articles with headlines indicating the subject with no spoilers, twitter users making jokes or posting reactions with details that don't spoil but are obvious once you see the episode, etc.

I still avert my eyes any sliver of GoT I see on Monday's (I watch the show Monday nights) on the Internet, but I feel like there were way more spoilers sitting in the open from every which way a season or two ago.

Same here. Sunday night / Monday is full on bubble mode until i get to watch. No social media, barely any radio. GAF thread only.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not getting revenge for his sister but instead getting killed by the same guy is really the nasty part. I hope that the spear was really poisoned, would at least bring some justice.
Yeah it seems instead of poetic justice we get poetic injustice. The honorable to a fault Ned Stark lies and admits treason, both dishonoring himself personally and publicly before being beheaded. The stoic Rob forsakes his promises for love and gets to see his wife stabbed in her pregnant belly before being cut down. Catelyn helps start a war with the Lannisters over their attempt to murder her son, in the process letting two lannisters go free and then watches her other son die on the orders of the lannisters before dying herself. Oberyn seeks vengeance on the man who murdered his sister and his confession, and instead gets to experience what she experienced in her last moments at the hands of the same man, while that man proudly gives him the confession he sought.
Meanwhile Joffrey dies a noble and brave king, not knowing that he is dying and not at the hands of the people he had wronged.
Someone earlier in the thread asked why we keep watching, and I think in part of it is that we keep waiting for the catharsis of some poetic justice.

there are very very few pure good or bad characters in the series. some are a bit more good then bad and vice versa but mostly they are all on the middle ground.
thats what makes the series so great.
I agree with everything you said, I think it's just implied that when I state a good guy, I mean the one who falls more on the positive side of the gray color wheel and vice-versa.

Alpende

STAHP

Same here. Sunday night / Monday is full on bubble mode until i get to watch. No social media, barely any radio. GAF thread only.

Me too. I just don't visit anything remotely related to GoT during the day on Monday, I always watch it Monday evening. Haven't been spoiled yet.If I see a glimpse of something with GOT in the text or something I click away.

Arjen

Yeah it's doable online, like you said, avoid twitter and facebook on monday, and you're pretty good to go.
I got spoiled IRL though, a friend blurred it out randomly, although she knows i hate being spoiled on things like this.
I know quitte a few book readers who just loooooove to drop hints and spoilery stuff, and that's getting worse and worse.

Dammit, accidentally went into the books spoiler thread instead of this one. Oh well.

I'm still upset about this past episode's ending. :(

He was too sexy to die!

Woorloog

Banned
Dammit, accidentally went into the books spoiler thread instead of this one. Oh well.

I'm still upset about this past episode's ending. :(

He was too sexy to die!

Recommendation: Sub to this thread, and only visit this thread via the subscriptions page. You will avoid the wrong thread better that way.

Curufinwe

Yeah it's doable online, like you said, avoid twitter and facebook on monday, and you're pretty good to go.
I got spoiled IRL though, a friend blurred it out randomly, although she knows i hate being spoiled on things like this.
I know quitte a few book readers who just loooooove to drop hints and spoilery stuff, and that's getting worse and worse.

It's really not acceptable behavior. I'm your friend... but I'm going to take advantage of my extra knowledge to ruin, or at least compromise your enjoyment of, something you really like.

Macka

To those who keep entering the Book reader thread...Subscribe to this one, and only ever enter it though your subscription list. It's that easy.

Spoilers relating to the "Inside the Episode #8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc)" -
At 8:50 it is mentioned that he is "poisoned"- so I presume that means Oberyn was indeed using poison. It only makes sense given his style and "Viper" nickname.

Mr.Mike

So what happens if/when the wildling army breaks through the wall? I assume Roose Bolton calls his bannermen, but will Tywin raise the south's armies and march north to help?

What's Stannis gonna do when this is all going down?

sora87

My love/hate relationship with this show continues to demoralize me.
That was the classic bait and switch, my horrified face staring back at me in the black screen as the credits rolled.

Hope Tyrion finds a way out of this, his face at the end :( :(

Ovid

So what happens if/when the wildling army breaks through the wall? I assume Roose Bolton calls his bannermen, but will Tywin raise the south's armies and march north to help?

What's Stannis gonna do when this is all going down?
This is going to be so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom