• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Do you recall when the Mountain does that powerful leg swipe at an unarmed Oberyn, and the Prince just cartwheels over it? I said before, that Mountain revival bit looked so fake, and makes no sense considering the injures he had. How does he even roll over on Oberyn with an Achilles that torn? Not to mention how fucking calm and he was during his kill. One minute he's dead like , the next minute he's like the undertaker coming back to life right when John Cena starts yapping on the mic.

It could be argued that Gregor making contact is fair because Oberyn was being a shit and not even looking at him at the time, but as soon as he felt his leg being taken from him, theoretically there are many things he could have done besides taking a fucking pratfall. Seriously. Look at the clip of him falling and you see he jumps up in the air to the point that it's mildly comedic. He should have had a way out of it before Clegane got his hand around his throat.

The Mountain getting the advantage and going on top of him could easily be a combination of adrenaline and playing possum until he saw a clear opening for a counterattack. As soon as Oberyn dies he collapses, so it's not like he totally no sold it.

I know it's dumb as hell to be so upset over, but the fucking trip and the way it completely fucked Oberyn just kinda ruins the whole scene for me in terms of credibility.

TheContact

So what happens if/when the wildling army breaks through the wall? I assume Roose Bolton calls his bannermen, but will Tywin raise the south's armies and march north to help?

What's Stannis gonna do when this is all going down?

Stannis is either on his way to the wall or he's still out building up an army with his new found gold. I can see the wildlings winning because of the exposed tunnels but Stannis coming to save the day. We know he's after the white walkers and the wall seems a good place to garrison. Just hope he makes it in time, with GRMM you never know. Jon could die next episode

People seem to be reading Oberyn wrong. His point wasn't to kill the mountain. He wasn't fighting for Tyrion to free him. He was doing it to expose Tywin Lannister. That was his goal, not just killing him. That would have done nothing. If he was just going to kill him then there was no point in even being Tyrion's champion. Sure his obsession killed him, but his 'obsession' was the only reason he was even fighting in the first place.

Realistically Oberyn should have just tortured The Mountain more. Should have kept his distance. Stabbed the dude's fucking hands as he lay there. That sort of thing. He got careless.
His only mistake was staying close to him. I think Oberyn had taken the spear out so the Mountain confessed. I think as soon as that would happen, he was going to throw his spear straight at his chest.

Duallusion

If Martin killed off Tyrion at this point, they might as well wrap the whole gig up, as far as I'm concerned. I'm an inch away of not giving much of a shit about any character anymore and I'll just continue to watch this show in a detached manner, shielding myself from inevitable disappointment. I don't think they'll ever able to surprise me anymore and fuck it, I won't let them crush my hopes about anything ever again either. Good job, Martin. Really.

Yes, I'm that butt hurt about Oberyn. And I was saying "no, no, no" as soon as the fight started, knowing full well where this shit was going.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Seriously.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The brutality of the spectacle of Oberyn's death, screaming through shattered teeth as massive hands rip his head apart,was enough to keep me from sleep for much of last night.

But what bothers me now is how terrible and nonsensical Oberyn's downfall was choreographed. The man can do eight flips in the air, using his spear as a pivot point, keep hold of it the whole time. But a man flat on his back sweeps a single leg from under him and he flies up in the air and lands flat on his back like a cartoon character on a banana peel,v letting his spear fly away in the process. He couldn't roll out of it, he couldn't immediately shift his weight to his other leg, he couldn't hold on to his fucking spear he was so tightly holding before. His Achilles heel was literally his fucking heel, and it just seems like an absurd way to end such a well choreographed fight. There are innumerable ways that they could have arrived at that finish while still putting over Oberyn's thirst for vengeance and overconfidence without immediately stripping away all his fighting and dodging prowess in one fell swoop of his feet.

Shit, I feel like two WWE guys could have come up with a better transition into that finish on the fly instead of the one we got. Also, watching Oberyn fail so frustratingly close to victory quickly took the sting away from Seth Rollins betraying The Shield.
Yeah I understand why they did it the way they did, in the moment it was effective because it was so sudden and so brutal, and with everyone half expecting something to happen they had to get to a point where it was almost literally impossible for Oberyn to lose to get people to let their emotional guard down. The problem is that it was almost impossible for him to lose and the misstep he took had no reason behind it.
For tyrion fans, might if be possible that if Oberyn did poison the mountain, that it might be determined that Oberyn was Joffreys killer and thus was a false champion or something. Grasping at straws I know.

So last night i tried to rerun the latest episode like i always do weekly with TWD and GoT. I only made it to the part where oberyn leaping to stab The Mountain one last time to the chest.

Then im like..
xR505FA.jpg

To what happens next. The screaming, gasping and shaking they did was too much for me.

Vashetti

Banned
If Martin killed off Tyrion at this point, they might as well wrap the whole gig up, as far as I'm concerned. I'm an inch away of not giving much of a shit about any character anymore and I'll just continue to watch this show in a detached manner, shielding myself from inevitable disappointment. I don't think they'll ever able to surprise me anymore and fuck it, I won't let them crush my hopes about anything ever again either. Good job, Martin. Really.

Yes, I'm that butt hurt about Oberyn. And I was saying "no, no, no" as soon as the fight started, knowing full well where this shit was going.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Seriously.

Get attached to more characters. Only liking one is just straight up asking for trouble on this show, because when they die, you don't feel like watching anymore.

I thoroughly enjoy watching

Sansa
Bran
Arya
Jon
Tyrion

Pretty much the 'Starks' and 'good' people, compared to everyone else. I most of the time enjoy Daenerys, Stannis.

I love Cersei and Tywin in the 'evil' camps.

The brutality of the spectacle of Oberyn's death, screaming through shattered teeth as massive hands rip his head apart,was enough to keep me from sleep for much of last night.

But what bothers me now is how terrible and nonsensical Oberyn's downfall was choreographed. The man can do eight flips in the air, using his spear as a pivot point, keep hold of it the whole time. But a man flat on his back sweeps a single leg from under him and he flies up in the air and lands flat on his back like a cartoon character on a banana peel,v letting his spear fly away in the process. He couldn't roll out of it, he couldn't immediately shift his weight to his other leg, he couldn't hold on to his fucking spear he was so tightly holding before. His Achilles heel was literally his fucking heel, and it just seems like an absurd way to end such a well choreographed fight. There are innumerable ways that they could have arrived at that finish while still putting over Oberyn's thirst for vengeance and overconfidence without immediately stripping away all his fighting and dodging prowess in one fell swoop of his feet.

Shit, I feel like two WWE guys could have come up with a better transition into that finish on the fly instead of the one we got. Also, watching Oberyn fail so frustratingly close to victory quickly took the sting away from Seth Rollins betraying The Shield.

I think you're missing who was doing the sweeping. The guy with the strength to knock out every single tooth out of a man's mouth with a single punch (while mortally? wounded) . So it probably wasn't a light grab, that Oberyn could have just flipped out of. Plus remember he was surprisingly quick according to Tyrion's henchman, so there was an element of surprise as well.

justjim89

Yeah I understand why they did it the way they did, in the moment it was effective because it was so sudden and so brutal, and with everyone half expecting something to happen they had to get to a point where it was almost literally impossible for Oberyn to get people to let their emotional guard down. The problem is that it was almost impossible for him to lose and the misstep he took had no reason behind it.
For tyrion fans, might if be possible that if Oberyn did poison the mountain, that it might be determined that Oberyn was Joffreys killer and thus was a false champion or something. Grasping at straws I know.

Tywin wants to get rid of Tyrion. The murder of Joffery is simply a vehicle through which he can have it done and be called righteous. Littlefinger could walk into his chambers and confess to orchestrating the plot, clear Tyrion's name, and Tywin would still have Tyrion killed.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Seriously.

I agree. Tyrion is the only one worth watching for in the kings landing side of the show. Every one else is after for the same thing doing their backstabbing ways.

Down south Danys character went annoying for me since she started conquering castles there.. she does the same thing over and over again.

Up north... Well shit, the boltons?? And his crazy bastard? Hell no. I would rather just wish they all get annihilated by mance or white walkwrs if they're the ones were left to watch in that part of the kingdoms. Reek can act his ass off though.

Arya, sansa, YKNJS, the wall, tyrion, brienne, bran are the parts of the story i enjoy the most.

Enco

Fuck. Right. Off.

Seriously.
That's the problem with killing off everyone.

You stop caring and relating to characters.

The bigger problem is that if Tyrion goes there really aren't many interesting characters left. Jon Snow is cool but I don't really care about him or his story. Bran is interesting I guess but we rarely see him. Arya is cool.

Dany I've stopped caring about. Especially after Jorah. I don't give a shit about any Lannister. Roose Bolton/Stannis I'm not too interested in either. Would be nice to see Roose die but meh overall.

There aren't many interesting characters about. Don't see how they can afford to lose anyone else. Killing people viewers/readers like gets old after a while.

J2d

Also remember when he looked into the flames last season he saw "a great battle in the snow".

What good is the throne if the kingdoms it rules are besieged by 100,000 barbarians and/or White Walkers?
Wouldn't now be a good time to just sit back at his island and let everyone die and then go in and clean up what's left?

There's a couple interesting characters in kings landing. Tyrion is just the best. Varys is cool and even though I hate Tywin and Cersei, they're both enjoyable to hate.

Enco

There's a couple interesting characters in kings landing. Tyrion is just the best. Varys is cool and even though I hate Tywin and Cersei, they're both enjoyable to hate.
Are they enough to keep people watching though?

I guess if we lose more people then Bran will take up more of the story and he might have some good moments.

I don't see Dany dying so if we lose people she'll probably take up even more story time.

Don't see that making the show any more popular.

At the very least people will stop caring for all characters.

Arcayne

After winning so much so far, I find it hard to stomache the idea of even Cersei and Tywin being axed off the show. I know everyones a bad guy, but they play that part particularly very, very well.

Just like how I was like "FYEAAHHHHH JOFFREYS DEAD!!" to " awe man, we lost the most badass villian to ever grace a tv show" :(

RDreamer

That's the problem with killing off everyone.

You stop caring and relating to characters.

The bigger problem is that if Tyrion goes there really aren't many interesting characters left. Jon Snow is cool but I don't really care about him or his story. Bran is interesting I guess but we rarely see him. Arya is cool.

Dany I've stopped caring about. Especially after Jorah. I don't give a shit about any Lannister. Roose Bolton/Stannis I'm not too interested in either. Would be nice to see Roose die but meh overall.

There aren't many interesting characters about. Don't see how they can afford to lose anyone else. Killing people viewers/readers like gets old after a while.

I think there are still interesting characters about. There are just less "good" characters now. Good characters that actually have some hope of doing something, actually. That's the big thing. People cheered Ned and Rob Oberyn and all them because they were cheer-worthy. They were good, and could actually accomplish something. Now we still have Arya and Sansa left, but I'm not sure they can actually accomplish much of anything for a while. I think Dany was supposed to be one of those cheery worthy characters, but she seems to be hit or miss with people. Personally I loved her the first season, but have kind of got bored of her with the later seasons. Season 2 of her just sucked.

Jon's left too. He can do something, I suppose, but he's up north so I'm not sure that counts as much. He's not getting revenge on anyone in King's Landing anytime soon, and that's what most viewers want in someone to cheer for. I think he's kind of interesting now. He wasn't for a few seasons, but I can kind of see the character arc there. I kind of feel like he's being set up to be the commander and big return of the night's watch as something people really care about (and have to care about) in Westeros.

Perhaps though, the story is just transitioning out of Westeros itself. The overall story arc seems to be placing more importance on elsewhere. I wonder how that'll go over with most viewers, as my theory is that they want someone to cheer on that's going to fuck up the hierarchy in king's landing itself.

Bossun

Well the only characters to me are Arya and the Hound, Bran a bit, Tyrion, Brienne and Jaime which has changed and I want to see him more, he went from a "bad" character to a grey one and he is still changing to a good one. And I feel he can be the pivotal force in all the Lannister shenanigans, he can make them win or he can make them lose.

Tyrion is witty and hence funny but he never really had any influence on anything apart from his part in the Stannis attack.

Ary is just bad ass. But she probably can't do anything on her own.

I don't really care about the rest. Oberyn was way cool, but his death was laughable, GRRM using that kind of tropes is disappointing.

And now we have mildly interesting characters, all with the same goal, to be the king, and not wanting to change how things work like most of the Starks or Oberyn. There is no one to cheer for, just guessing who will be king and go "oh well okay".

Jorah being dismissed for treason after years of love and overly loyal services while the knights' guard captain came and was forgiven in half a second was laughable too.

Sober

Bronn: "I make one little mistake and it's all over."

Guess that happened.

You also misjudge someone getting knocked flat onto their back from out of nowhere. And then remember the Mountain pretty much followed up with metal gauntlet to the face.

justjim89

So will the public implication of Tywin Lannister and The Mountain's confession to the rape and slaughter of Dorne royalty have any sever repercussions, you think? Granted, we don't know shit about Dorne besides the fact that Oberyn was the face, as it were. But I feel like it's the kind of thing that could have sever ramifications.

Enco

I think there are still interesting characters about. There are just less "good" characters now. Good characters that actually have some hope of doing something, actually. That's the big thing. People cheered Ned and Rob Oberyn and all them because they were cheer-worthy. They were good, and could actually accomplish something. Now we still have Arya and Sansa left, but I'm not sure they can actually accomplish much of anything for a while. I think Dany was supposed to be one of those cheery worthy characters, but she seems to be hit or miss with people. Personally I loved her the first season, but have kind of got bored of her with the later seasons. Season 2 of her just sucked.

Jon's left too. He can do something, I suppose, but he's up north so I'm not sure that counts as much. He's not getting revenge on anyone in King's Landing anytime soon, and that's what most viewers want in someone to cheer for. I think he's kind of interesting now. He wasn't for a few seasons, but I can kind of see the character arc there. I kind of feel like he's being set up to be the commander and big return of the night's watch as something people really care about (and have to care about) in Westeros.

Perhaps though, the story is just transitioning out of Westeros itself. The overall story arc seems to be placing more importance on elsewhere. I wonder how that'll go over with most viewers, as my theory is that they want someone to cheer on that's going to fuck up the hierarchy in king's landing itself.
Yea I agree with you.

Outside of Kings Landing not much is really happening. Dany is hot but that's about it. I've liked her for a long time but the last few episodes I've stopped caring.

Hopefully they make the characters much more interesting or just stop killing the good ones.

Gandie

I'm really interested in what Jorah is going to do now. Going back to King's Landing? Will he play a part there? Or will he stay and try to regain Dany's trust?

I'm really interested in what Jorah is going to do now. Going back to King's Landing? Will he play a part there? Or will he stay and try to regain Dany's trust?

I think he knows it's over. I wouldn't be surprised if he just hung up his hat and lived out his days as a merchant or something in Essos.

Blader

Being in control of a fight when you're directly in front of your opponent and can see them doesn't work so well when you're caught by surprise. That's why it's called "by surprise." He didn't see it coming and couldn't react fast enough to get away.

And it's not like Oberyn was the fucking Flash here, there was more than one instance during the fight where he was either too slow or the Mountain's reach was further than the distance that Oberyn could put between them. It wasn't the first time he had ended up on the ground.

MrKnives

I know it's his style but killing characters as soon as people start to like them will make people not care about new characters and get bored.
Maybe it's my bias talking as I really liked Oberyn but it felt like he died only to shock and anger people, because that's what GoT and GRRM are supposed to do.

RDreamer

I think he knows it's over. I wouldn't be surprised if he just hung up his hat and lived out his days as a merchant or something in Essos.

That'd be a really strange way to end his arc. It would seem kind of anticlimactic compared to everyone else's story if he was just done like that. Not sure what the hell else he could do, but we don't entirely know that much about Essos.

My guess is he probably tries to do something big and stupid (or good I guess) to prove himself to her.

ASIS

I know it's his style but killing characters as soon as people start to like them will make people not care about new characters and get bored.
Maybe it's my bias talking as I really liked Oberyn but it felt like he died only to shock and anger people, because that's what GoT and GRRM are supposed to do.

No death so far has been "just to piss of the fans"

Ned's death led to Rob and Cat's death which lead to Joffery's death and now Obyren is dead and maybe Tyrion too. You can bet his death will take a toll on the story and is not mere plot devices to shock and anger the audience. In short, I think the repercussions of his death will serve as the point where Dorne will enter the story. That's how I think it will play out.

That'd be a really strange way to end his arc. It would seem kind of anticlimactic compared to everyone else's story if he was just done like that. Not sure what the hell else he could do, but we don't entirely know that much about Essos.

My guess is he probably tries to do something big and stupid (or good I guess) to prove himself to her.

He's going to find somewhere else to get exiled from!

RDreamer

Ned's death led to Rob and Cat's death which lead to Joffery's death and now Obyren is dead and maybe Tyrion too. You can bet his death will take a toll on the story and are not mere plot devices to shock and anger the audience. In short, I think the repercussions of his death will serve as the point where Dorne will enter the story. That's how I think it will play out.

This. Not only does it serve a good entry point for Dorne, it also kind of encapsulates their mentality as has been described in the show thus far. They're supposed to be kind of stubborn and never conquered. Oberyn was that to a T. I mean obviously in the end he was, but he went kicking and screaming. He went trying to get Tywin back for long past tragedies. His character gave a sort of the Dorne never forgets, and if more characters from there enter the story that could be very interesting. Viewers could side with them very quickly. Oberyn's death also means that Dorne is definitely not being brought into the fold no matter how much Tywin wanted. That's an interesting angle, too.

The interesting thing is that Ned did the same thing for the north. He kind of encapsulated their entire mentality.... and then died. And we had to cheer on his kids for to carry on his legacy.

Are they enough to keep people watching though?

I guess if we lose more people then Bran will take up more of the story and he might have some good moments.

I don't see Dany dying so if we lose people she'll probably take up even more story time.

Don't see that making the show any more popular.

At the very least people will stop caring for all characters.

Hopefully the show continues to bring in new characters like they did with Oberyn this year. I think well see more story lines to. The stark kids are all great characters.

I do agree that if they actually kill off Tyrion, the show will suffer. He's a great character played by a great actor.

I do think the show has enough story lines and people left to carry on though. Losing Tyrion would be a hit, not a total killer though.

IMO of course

Curufinwe

A silly thing to say when we haven't seen what happens to Tyrion yet.

Ned's death led to Rob and Cat's death which lead to Joffery's death and now Obyren is dead and maybe Tyrion too. You can bet his death will take a toll on the story and is not mere plot devices to shock and anger the audience. In short, I think the repercussions of his death will serve as the point where Dorne will enter the story. That's how I think it will play out.

my feeling as well. This should pull Dorne into the frey. Especially since Cercei's daughter is there, right?

Philippo

Hmm i wouldn't count on Dorne acting against the Lannisters right now.
I know they already got the location for S5 (iirc) so it'll obviously be there, but something has to happen first.
I mean as of now they have no real reason to act: in all these years they never took revenge for Elia Martell, and Oberyn offered himself as champion, so it's not like they can blame the Lannisters. And he didn't even made the Mountain confess Tywin involvement with Elia's death.
Also Doran Martell seems like a too quiet guy for some rebellion.
I'm sure it'll happen sometime, but not immediate like Robb reaction to Ned's death.

And with what happened to his sister's sons, i doubt Doran will use Myrcella (?) as an hostage.

Arya is safe, she's a main character, and you know Tyrion will probably survive. Robb was barely even a character. Arya?Tyrion/Danny/Jon are the main characters. They won't die because c'mon they got plot shield and c'mon $$$. people would go ballistic if any one of them died. At least I hope I'm right.

Raiden

Banned
Arya is safe, she's a main character, and you know Tyrion will probably survive. Robb was barely even a character. Arya?Tyrion/Danny/Jon are the main characters. They won't die because c'mon they got plot shield and c'mon $$$. people would go ballistic if any one of them died. At least I hope I'm right.

Ned Stark was the main character in S1. And i considered Robb and Cat main characters as well..

I dont think George really cares about people going ballistic.

Mature

This is the sort of attitude I don't plan on taking for my mental health.

MrKnives

A silly thing to say when we haven't seen what happens to Tyrion yet.

That would be only thing that would make it a bit better. I know my statement is a bit premature as we haven't seen the next episodes but I just can't see Tyrion dying so at the time Oberyn's death felt pointless.
Call me naive and I know people are saying there are no plot armors in GoT but I still just can't see them offing Tyrion. Not right now at least. He'll probably die at some later date, closer to the end.

Shock factor works if used once in a while but killing all your most likable characters in the span of two episodes isn't the best way to keep your viewers/readers.

Ned Stark was the main character in S1. And i considered Robb and Cat main characters as well..

I dont think George really cares about people going ballistic.

Ned Stark was not really a main character. He doesn't have the popularity that arya/jon/dany and tyrion have. They are too important to the plot. Who else will replace the group? Nobody.

ASIS

my feeling as well. This should pull Dorne into the frey. Especially since Cercei's daughter is there, right?

Yup, shit is getting really interesting.

That would be only thing that would make it a bit better. I know my statement is a bit premature as we haven't seen the next episodes but I just can't see Tyrion dying so at the time Oberyn's death felt pointless.
Call me naive and I know people are saying there are no plot armors in GoT but I still just can't see them offing Tyrion. Not right now at least. He'll probably die at some later date, closer to the end.

Shock factor works if used once in a while but killing all your most likable characters in the span of two episodes isn't the best way to keep your viewers/readers.
GRRM doesn't give two shits about the readers or fans. He appreciates their love and loyalty, but he doesn't want their suggestions or their impression to affect the story. I agree that something will happen to tyrion, he can't just die yet. But if anything happens it won't be because they are afraid that people will get pissed.

Arcayne

Ned Stark was not really a main character. He doesn't have the popularity that arya/jon/dany and tyrion have. They are too important to the plot. Who else will replace the group? Nobody.

He was the main character of season 1 and, well, you know. I'm sure if he theoretically last up to season 4, he would no doubt have the popularity that arya, jona, dany, and tyrion have.

Anyways, they are important to the plot because they are still alive, lol.

Ovid

Are you kidding me!? Ned was the main character of Season 1.

RDreamer

I don't think the plot armor really goes by main character. It just goes my character arc. I know Danny's probably safe for a long long time because there'd be no point at all in building that all up if she was just going to die. I think from a writing perspective she's kind of endgame material. She'll be around a while. Realistically there's no fucking way she's dying until she interacts with someone from Westeros.

Arya's arc needs an ending, and she's being built up as a killer of some sort. So she needs to last until she kills someone important in the story, I would think.

Jon I think is being built up to be a lord commander sort of guy. I don't believe he'll die until that happens.

Tyrion's arc, though, I think is nearly done, so he could go either way. His arc was clearly being the guy that fucking saved king's landing and then no one gives a shit. He's accomplished so much that affects the story, so realistically he could die.

Basically Danny is the most plot armored at this point, in my opinion.

Realistically I think the entire arc of the series is that you get the chaos of people trying to become king/queen in westerns for a while, and basically annihilating each other. Then Danny comes over and maybe she sits on the throne for a short bit, but the real trouble comes from the north. Then Danny and whoever the hell is left standing have to unite to take on that stuff. It would make most sense I think if Jon was still around, because then you get that big origin story there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom