• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Prep time Tywin > everyone

Just a note, though: Tywin didn't get what he wanted. He wanted Jaime to carry on the Lannister name and Tyrion to go away. Sure he might have sentenced Tyrion to death, but now what? Where does the Lannister name go? And that's not counting the fact that he's lost Dorne pretty much because of all this and his name has been further sullied by Oberyn's accusations and Clegane's admittance.

There was a brief moment where Tywin could have had it all and it looked like he would, but it's done for him. He's lost the game. On top of those things, Sansa's just revealed herself and it looks like the Vale isn't going to be in the fold with the Lannisters anymore, too.

ShutEye

That ending was brutally grotesque, even for a show where we've seen people get stabbed in the mouth. Glad I watched it this morning instead of before bed.

I would imagine and hope that oby's death brings his brother to the fore? That's could be interesting.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just a note, though: Tywin didn't get what he wanted. He wanted Jaime to carry on the Lannister name and Tyrion to go away. Sure he might have sentenced Tyrion to death, but now what? Where does the Lannister name go? And that's not counting the fact that he's lost Dorne pretty much because of all this and his name has been further sullied by Oberyn's accusations and Clegane's admittance.

There was a brief moment where Tywin could have had it all and it looked like he would, but it's done for him. He's lost the game. On top of those things, Sansa's just revealed herself and it looks like the Vale isn't going to be in the fold with the Lannisters anymore, too.

Yeeep. Tywin lost the moment Tyrion decided to be a (glorious) shit. Tyrion was correct - it was a real victory for him, he finally got to take something away from Tywin. IMO it also revealed Tywin's limitation in playing the game: his own ego. He was 100% certain he knew everyone inside and out. His contempt for Tyrion led him to take a huge risk, making a grand play that Tyrion could jettison by asking for combat.

The duel wasn't a Lannister battle to be won or lost. It was fallout from Tyrion's victory over Tywin. (Admittedly a victory that puts his life in peril.) Look at it this way: in this show you may have to sacrifice yourself to take down someone like Tywin, so it may look like a loss to many viewers at first glance.

I would imagine and hope that oby's death brings his brother to the fore? That's could be interesting.

This could be a big question coming up next. I don't think we know the real reason why Oberyn was sent in place of the expected older brother. It could have been mere contempt for the Lannisters. Perhaps big brother was using Oberyn as a test, poke the hive and see how it reacted - since Oberyn would arrive quietly seething for Lannister blood. Naturally I doubt his brother could have imagined the complex circumstances leading to Oberyn being given the opportunity to make a noble but unwise play.

But the story seems to put effort into setting up Dorne as being cut from a different cloth compared to much of Westeros, if Oberyn is a typical example of the Martells and their people. Maybe Dorne's reaction to Oberyn's death will something unexpected by typical Westeros standards.

Ovid

I don't think the plot armor really goes by main character. It just goes my character arc. I know Danny's probably safe for a long long time because there'd be no point at all in building that all up if she was just going to die. I think from a writing perspective she's kind of endgame material. She'll be around a while. Realistically there's no fucking way she's dying until she interacts with someone from Westeros.

Arya's arc needs an ending, and she's being built up as a killer of some sort. So she needs to last until she kills someone important in the story, I would think.

Jon I think is being built up to be a lord commander sort of guy. I don't believe he'll die until that happens.

Tyrion's arc, though, I think is nearly done, so he could go either way. His arc was clearly being the guy that fucking saved king's landing and then no one gives a shit. He's accomplished so much that affects the story, so realistically he could die.

Basically Danny is the most plot armored at this point, in my opinion.

Realistically I think the entire arc of the series is that you get the chaos of people trying to become king/queen in westerns for a while, and basically annihilating each other. Then Danny comes over and maybe she sits on the throne for a short bit, but the real trouble comes from the north. Then Danny and whoever the hell is left standing have to unite to take on that stuff. It would make most sense I think if Jon was still around, because then you get that big origin story there, too.
Whatever Dany dreams comes true.

We saw in both Dany and Bran dreams that the Red Keep is destroyed. I don't Dany will sit on the Iron Throne. I think her dragons will destroy Kings Landing and it will left abandoned.

I agree, I don't see how the Lannisters can stay in control for long. Jamie isn't interested in Tywin's plans for him, and Tywin has lost his leverage. They've at this point pissed off Dorne (where Cersei's daughter is), they've inadvertently put the guy that brought about the murder of their king in an even more powerful position. They have no money, and Stannis has the backing of the Iron bank. They have the Boltons to the north and Daenerys to the east (who, admittedly, isn't an imminent threat but they have to keep her in mind). Its been pretty much all downhill for them since the Red Wedding. Even if he does manage to execute Tyrion -- and I personally don't think he will -- that would be little more than getting rid of an annoyance. I think the victory for them of Oberyn's defeat is just amplified in viewers eyes because they really liked him. In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't going to win them anything at all.

RDreamer

Whatever Dany dreams comes true.

We saw in both Dany and Bran dreams that the Red Keep is destroyed. I don't Dany will sit on the Iron Throne. I think her dragons will destroy Kings Landing and it will left abandoned.

I don't remember Dany dreaming this.

In any case, yeah, I could see the whole of king's landing being torn asunder. My point with Dany was that her arc seems to be a long game. There's no point in building her up this much unless she's end game material. My theory was that she either sits on the throne for a short period or comes over to basically nothing and then the real shit goes down up north anyway, and she has to change from conquering westeros to saving its ass... or trying to.

I agree, I don't see how the Lannisters can stay in control for long. Jamie isn't interested in Tywin's plans for him, and Tywin has lost his leverage. They've at this point pissed off Dorne (where Cersei's daughter is), they've inadvertently put the guy that brought about the murder of their king in an even more powerful position. They have no money, and Stannis has the backing of the Iron bank. They have the Boltons to the north and Daenerys to the east (who, admittedly, isn't an imminent threat but they have to keep her in mind). Its been pretty much all downhill for them since the Red Wedding.

Yup, they're pretty well done in my opinion. The alliance isn't ever getting forged for the Lannisters. There's too many nuts about. Boltons may be on their side, but they're crazy, and little finger is also plotting for the north.

Trick_GSF

Banned
There is a very popular Youtube "reaction" video doing the rounds. This is the name:

"SPOILER! Game Of Thrones 4x08 The Red Viper Vs The Mountain Reactions Compilation"

At around half way through, I was spoiled on something that has yet to happen. It's fairly minor, but just a heads up.

Just to reiterate, unrelated to Viper/Mountain. Just avoid it.

Ovid

There is a very popular Youtube "reaction" video doing the rounds. This is the name:

"SPOILER! Game Of Thrones 4x08 The Red Viper Vs The Mountain Reactions Compilation"

At around half way through, I was spoiled on something that has yet to happen. It's fairly minor, but just a heads up.

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

aravuus

I'm still utterly confused what some people get out of this

Spoiling something to someone you know I can kind of understand, if there's bad blood between you or anything like that, but spoiling random people is just weird

Enco

Another thing which was barely touched upon. What exactly was Littlefinger's move when the threw Lysa into the Moon Door? He seemed surprised that Sansa lied to defend him yet he threw her aunt to her death and sort of expected everything to turn out okay? He's such a calculating character, I can't believe he assumed his word would be taken for granted or that somehow things would just turn out okay in the end.
He was surprised to see her turn from telling the truth to lying for him. Nothing big there.

He threw her down the door because she was going to hurt Sansa and he didn't love her. It's also probably part of his plan.

Jon I think is being built up to be a lord commander sort of guy. I don't believe he'll die until that happens.

Basically Danny is the most plot armored at this point, in my opinion.

I think both stark boys, or at least one, will deal with the bolton's too. Both Jon and Bran have very incomplete arcs right now due to the impending battles against the white walkers and the wildling army.

I agree about Danny as well. Her story feels like mostly development without actually making plays at the game. Until hdd actually does something, she's safe.

Arya might be as safe as Danny though. She's done nothing but bounce between captor.

Sajjaja

Imagine the battle at the wall takes place and then white walkers come in a be like "sup"

AND THEN THE WILDLINGS AND CROWS HAVE TO DEFEAT A COMMON ENEMY TOGETHER AND YGRITTE AND JON CAN HAVE BABIES TOGETHER

But then Stannis the Mannis is like no, this is my town, and then proceeds to slaughter all Wildlings and Walkers.

J-Rod

Did anyone notice the wax seal on Jorah's pardon when it was handed to barriston? Was that the hand of the kings seal aka tywin who sent it?

Woorloog

Banned
What was the point of Oberyn? Seems like he was the thanksgiving turkey being fattened up just for this last episode.

Well he was a Prince of Dorne (Dorne's ruler's brother to the boot). Also his loss condemned Tyrion, didn't it? Who else would have fought for him?

What was the point of Oberyn? Seems like he was the thanksgiving turkey being fattened up just for this last episode.

Most genuinly lovable characters are dead or smart enough to stay out of harm's way,
so we needed a new lovable character to get brutally murdered in the worst way imaginable.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

His death will probably have some kind of effect? Be it Dorne getting mad a the Lannisters (who cares if he decided to fight) or I don't know. He bought Tyrion some time though.

Not a spoiler
Also, a paycheck for the prostethic guy. And Pedro is awesome.

Most genuinly lovable characters are dead or smart enough to stay out of harm's way,
so we needed a new lovable character to get brutally murdered in the worst way imaginable.

Could have been worse. I'm pretty sure the guy the Boltons flayed was alive during the process.

Kinyou

I can't really imagine them killing Tyrion, then again, I also couldn't imagine that they'd kill Rob just like that.

btw. did we ever learn what happened to the groom at the red wedding? I think he left the room with his new bride before the massacre.

alatif113

Oberyn+s+FW+_530086fd6ca837a117fd5eb33074bc39.gif

J-Rod

I can't really imagine them killing Tyrion, then again, I also couldn't imagine that they'd kill Rob just like that.

btw. did we ever learn what happened to the groom at the red wedding? I think he left the room with his new bride before the massacre.

I think I read where someone said he is locked up as a prisoner at Freys earlier in the thread.

MrKnives

Probably living happily ever after

kanuuna

I think someone might've been spoiled the outcome of one of the story threads going on this season in a game of Dota 2. Fake or not, sucks that I can never seem to be able to watch this show without knowing things ahead of time.

Going into Season 1, someone I saw a captioned screen of Ned losing his head.
Going into Season 2, I saw that episode 9 wildfire .gif and kind of saw the outcome of it all with that.
Going into Season 3, I had seen thumbnails of all 'The Red Wedding' reaction videos. Maisie Williams' reaction video on the front page of Reddit pretty much narrowed down what might've happened there.
Going into Season 4, I read a couple spoilers that ended up being fake. I also saw a thumbnail of Oberyn's demise before I watched the last episode, though I didn't quite recognize it was him since I breezed past it.

This last one wasn't quite that heartbreaking for myself, but I still would've liked to see it first. I should probably just hide under a rock until a Season 5 is out on blu-ray.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I read where someone said he is locked up as a prisoner at Freys earlier in the thread.

We haven't seen the Freys all season, have we? I'm curious to see whatever they did with Ed. I'm also wondering where Blackfish ended up after taking a piss outside the red wedding.

terrene

Banned
I wish there were a way to poll just this thread about whether they think Tyrion is going to live or die. After the Red Wedding and Ned Stark I really ought to know better but I just think GRRM had bigger plans for the Tyrion character than this.

Blader

We haven't seen the Freys all season, have we? I'm curious to see whatever they did with Ed. I'm also wondering where Blackfish ended up after taking a piss outside the red wedding.

There are a few people from last season that have been weirdly absent this year: Frey, Blackfish, Edmure, Gendry, the Brotherhood without Banners.

aravuus

I wish there were a way to poll just this thread about whether they think Tyrion is going to live or die. After the Red Wedding and Ned Stark I really ought to know better but I just think GRRM had bigger plans for the Tyrion character than this.

I kind of think killing Tyrion this season would be too obvious, if that makes any sense. So I guess I'm kind of clinging to a sliver of hope.

Preparing to get disappointed and disgusted again though lol

Tyrion's a character who is pretty much universally loved by fans of the show. Therefore he will almost certainly die.

spirity

I kind of think killing Tyrion this season would be too obvious, if that makes any sense. So I guess I'm kind of clinging to a sliver of hope.

I'm trying to think of the worst thing that could happen. And imagine it worse than that

Thats the next episode of GoT

soul

I think that if they wanted to kill him they would do it this episode and not postpone it.

Enco

This.

It's way too obvious but I'm not making any bets.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Tyrion's a character who is pretty much universally loved by fans of the show. Therefore he will almost certainly die.
The blessing and the curse of the show being based on books is that the characters fates are set in stone and so can't be changed on the whim of their popularity in the show.

Nameless

Get attached to more characters. Only liking one is just straight up asking for trouble on this show, because when they die, you don't feel like watching anymore.

I thoroughly enjoy watching

Sansa
Bran
Arya
Jon
Tyrion

Pretty much the 'Starks' and 'good' people, compared to everyone else. I most of the time enjoy Daenerys, Stannis.

I love Cersei and Tywin in the 'evil' camps.

Get attached to more than one character not beholden to things like honor & morality, you mean, and your experience will be much more pleasant. If you're like me and favored Ramsay over Oberyn, then Sunday was actually quite touching, triumphant even.

Arya and Ned left me no choice , but I hate that I've taken to characters like Brienne and Pod. In this world they're dead persons walking. Brienne especially...a woman of honor who takes her vows as seriously as her own life is markedly fucked. The day she dies will be a shitty one, but one that could have been avoided had I adopted a scumbag only policy.

Enco

Get attached to more than one character not beholden to things like honor & morality, you mean, and your experience will be much more pleasant. If you're like me and favored Ramsay over Oberyn, then Sunday was actually quite touching, triumphant even.

Arya and Ned left me no choice , but I hate that I've taken to characters like Brienne and Pod. In this world they're dead persons walking. Brienne especially...a woman of honor who takes her vows as seriously as her own life is markedly fucked. The day she dies will be a shitty one, but one that could have been avoided had I adopted a scumbag only policy.
Oh yea Pod and Brienne.

Need to start disliking them in preparation for their deaths.

Pod may live to be honest. He seems to be around for the lols. He's not much of a serious character

Fevaweva

They can't kill off two likable characters in two consecutive episodes, especially when one of them is TYRION LANNISTER, can they?!

Surely Jaime sacrifices himself saving Tyrion or some shit? Right?! RIIIGHT?! GUYS?!

demolitio

Prep time Tywin > everyone

Not in my opinion. It's been that way for now, but I don't see how he can continue and they keep mysteriously having the Rains of Castamere play in the show only to be interrupted or forgotten.

I've been saying all season that Tywin's time is coming to an end so at this point, I just hope it happens already so I don't feel like I was reading into nothing. The Lannisters have to crumble at some point and losing Tywin would send all these characters into different scenarios that needs to happen. Cersei's downfall would be inevitable!

It better fucking happen. At least I know it's inevitable, but I want it soon.

Nameless

Oh yea Pod and Brienne.

Need to start disliking them in preparation for their deaths.

Pod may live to be honest. He seems to be around for the lols. He's not much of a serious character

I knew Pod was fucked the second Bronn have him Chekhov's axe. I can already see him trying to help out in combat and getting cut down.

Why won't Sam and Gilly die

why

WHY

I like how Jon and the guys were pretty much like "She has plot armor, bro." when they were trying to comfort Sam.

- IF Tyrion makes it out alive.. Something no one seems to talk about but what GRRM makes a scenario where Bron.. or most likely Jaime
or both
find out that the Tyrells were responsible for Joffrey's death? It would set Tyrion free and start another clusterfuck with the Lannisters as they have another big house against them. The Vale is against them, as is the Tullys whenever (if) they get out on top of Baratheons.

- Even though I don't think we will see Sansa and Arya meet up which will seem like a repeated, annoying sequence of "yet again" nonsense.. in a scenario where they do in episode 10, it would be awesome to see tough girl Arya just completely break down when she sees her sister. The feels would hit sky high levels.

- Ideas about sweet Robin? My guess is to use him and grow him into a powerful person by Littlefinger. I don't get the point of killing him at all. Having him on your fingertip means 1/7 Kingdoms is in your control.

Not in my opinion. It's been that way for now, but I don't see how he can continue and they keep mysteriously having the Rains of Castamere play in the show only to be interrupted or forgotten.

I've been saying all season that Tywin's time is coming to an end so at this point, I just hope it happens already so I don't feel like I was reading into nothing. The Lannisters have to crumble at some point and losing Tywin would send all these characters into different scenarios that needs to happen. Cersei's downfall would be inevitable!

It better fucking happen. At least I know it's inevitable, but I want it soon.
You can always get a situation where Tywin dies when every single Kingdom is officially enemies of the Lannisters, in which case it will be up to Jaime and if Tyrion if he lives, to handle it for GRRM's trolling purposes. Because why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom