• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juz

I felt bad for Fedora Jorah when he got banished. But it's probably for the best. I don't think his heart could handle anymore thoughts about that sweet Daario and Khaleesi lovemaking.
iJSju3sdZIEIP.gif

Gonna miss him.

ASIS

Goes both ways. Khaleesi had a hit on her because of Jorah. I was talking about this to a Colombian friend of mine who was livid that Dany didn't give Jorah a chance to explain. I turned around and told him,

"look bro, what if you found out today from someone else that from the moment we've met, I have been ratting your ass out to the FARC. You see I owed it big to the guerrillas, and they told me, notifying them of your every move is how I could get even with them. You also find out that the FARC put a hit out on you because of what I was transmitting back to Colombia. Sure I saved you after I changed my mind about the whole thing, but I never told you a word of it. This is how you find out; a letter from the FARC telling me my debt was paid and we were even. What would your reaction be? Would you let me explain, or would you tell me to get out of your face?"

At that point he agreed that he would have been pissed to the point where he'd probably want to hurt me, at which point I said "exactly!" Jorah had ample enough time to come clean, but nope.
be that as it may, Jorah still gave her good advice and He even took a city for her. The fact remains that Jorah's actions are crucial to Dany's success after the wine merchant incident. And that should have amounted to something.

Dany's reaction is normal, but her decision was rash. She should have given the situation more thought before exiling him completely.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
be that as it may, Jorah still gave her good advice and He even took a city for her. The fact remains that Jorah's actions are crucial to Dany's success after the wine merchant incident. And that should have amounted to something.

Dany's reaction is normal, but her decision was rash. She should have given the situation more thought before exiling him completely.

Oh absolutely. I just have this nagging feeling that part of that rash treatment is a result of Ser Barristan advising her. You can tell when Barristan and Jorah were talking that he had already convinced himself that Jorah was guilty (in a sense he technically still os), and I wonder what counsel he have her.

Vagabundo

It amounted to him leaving the city with his head on his shoulders.

There is no way in hell that she should trust him again.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, if he had come clean of his own volition there could have been a chance of some redemption, maybe. But having to be outed by a whistleblower means he cannot be trusted, what else could he be hiding? Something that could be used as leverage against her.

He's a lucky man, I doubt many others would have gotten the same treatment.

I'd be happy if Jorah just killed Dany and became Father of Dragons. I can't help but feel I will enjoy GoT less when Dany starts doing stuff.

leng jai

Random thoughts

- Emilia Clarke's acting is really going downhill. I was cringing throughout the entire scene of Jorah's banishment. The overacting is stark and hard to watch.

- Further confirmation that Nathalie Emmanuel is without doubt the most attractive woman on the show.

- It was painfully obvious Oberyn was going to be rinsed after he started ranting. Emphasis on the word painfully.

- Maisie needs laughing lessons.

- The final scene had some of the most collectively appropriate facial expressions I've ever seen in one place.

- No chance Tyrion dies, just can't see it happening.

Vashetti

Banned
Random thoughts

- Emilia Clarke's acting is really going downhill. I was cringing throughout the entire scene of Jorah's banishment. The overacting is stark and hard to watch.

- Further confirmation that Nathalie Emmanuel is without doubt the most attractive woman on the show.

- It was painfully obvious Oberyn was going to be rinsed after he started ranting. Emphasis on the word painfully.

- The final scene had some of the most collectively appropriate facial expressions I've ever seen in one place.

Yup, can't help but feel we're the only people in this thread who felt that scene was cringy and awkward. The laughing wasn't good.

Nameless

She's been a ticking timebomb to get a comeuppance for 2 seasons running now.

Comeuppance, why? Hasn't she suffered plenty? Think about what she's had to endure. She lost her mother tragically as a child, the circumstances of which caused her to develop a deep seeded hatred for the baby her mother died having. Being raised motherless by stern father who didn't love his children the way children want & need to be loved no doubt contributed to her forging an unnaturally close bond with her twin brother. A relationship that would grow more and more perverse until culminating with said twin brother raping Cersei at the foot of their dead bastard son's corpse....but that's jumping ahead.

It's important to note that in this world a high born woman's only real value is as a potential wife & mother. But when Cersei is offered to the Targaryens as a bride for Prince Rhaegar, the Mad King rejects the notion so harshly that Tywin resigns as Hand after two decades and rides home. After the war, she is deemed good enough by King Robert, a sad drunken man who was so hopelessly in love with a dead woman that he was incapable of loving his new wife. Still, she gave him an heir, a true heir, a beautiful black haired baby boy. But as if to cement her and Robert's doomed, loveless, marriage, their baby died. She lost her first born, and years later would lose her second. Even now, despite all the burden she bears, she's been forced into yet another ill-fated arrangement, this time with a gay man.

She's ruthless, greedy and manipulative sure, but wouldn't you expect that so much time in a harsh environments under extreme conditions would erode the positive aspects of a person and leave them cold and hardened? Cersei is one of the most sympathetic characters on the show. People only hate her because she's pitted against(and crushes) beloved characters.

Comeuppance, why? Hasn't she suffered plenty? Think about what she's had to endure. She lost her mother tragically as a child, the circumstances of which caused her to develop a deep seeded hatred for the baby her mother died having. Being raised motherless by stern father who didn't love his children the way children want & need to be loved no doubt contributed to her forging an unnaturally close bond with her twin brother. A relationship that would grow more and more perverse until culminating with said twin brother raping Cersei at the foot of their dead bastard son's corpse....but that's jumping ahead.

It's important to note that in this world a high born woman's only real value is as a potential wife & mother. But when Cersei is offered to the Targaryens as a bride for Prince Rhaegar, the Mad King rejects the notion so harshly that Tywin resigns as Hand after two decades and rides home. After the war, she is deemed good enough by King Robert, a sad drunken man who was so hopelessly in love with a dead woman that he was incapable of loving his new wife. Still, she gave him an heir, a true heir, a beautiful black haired baby boy. But as if to cement her and Robert's doomed, loveless, marriage, their baby died. She lost her first born, and years later would lose her second. Even now, despite all the burden she bears, she's been forced into yet another ill-fated arrangement, this time with a gay man.

She's ruthless, greedy and manipulative sure, but wouldn't you expect that so much time in a harsh environments under extreme conditions would erode the positive aspects of a person and leave them cold and hardened? Cersei is one of the most sympathetic characters on the show. People only hate her because she's pitted against(and crushes) beloved characters.

I agree, Cersei's a great character.

Poor circumstances do not excuse reprehensible behavior. Cersei is a vile human being IMO.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

Jon Snow had a rough life. Tyrion had a rough life. Theon had a rough life. Caster's daughters had rough lives. Cersei does not have the perspective to even understand what 'rough' means.

as to why she deserves Comeuppance, that is simple. losing your mother in your brothers birth does not excuse torturing your brother. having a distant father does not excuse pushing a small child out a window to protect your affair with your brother.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jon Snow had a rough life. Tyrion had a rough life. Theon had a rough life. Caster's daughters had rough lives. Cersei does not have the perspective to even understand what 'rough' means.

as to why she deserves Comeuppance, that is simple. losing your mother in your brothers birth does not excuse torturing your brother. having a distant father does not excuse pushing a small child out a window to protect your affair with your brother.

It wasn't Cersei who pushed Bran off the window, though.

Comeuppance, why? Hasn't she suffered plenty?

Most of the characters on the show have suffered in some capacity in their development. The difference between them and Cercei is moving on and growing from it. Hell, she STILL blames Tyrion and tortures him endlessly for their mothers death that occurred decades ago.

Has she been through some shit? of course...really awful stuff. But does that give her the right to cause endless amounts of pain to numerous other characters? eh...I don't think so.

Gila

Yup, can't help but feel we're the only people in this thread who felt that scene was cringy and awkward. The laughing wasn't good.

I'm with you. I thought the laughing was pretty awkward.

I agree, but in her defense - laughing on command is quite a difficult acting expression to pull off effectively. She even mentioned (in some interview) that was the hardest scene she's done to date.

UrbanRats

Random thoughts

Agree with all of these.

I also found the Worm dude storyline/scene very cheesy (in a bad way).
I hope that side of the story picks up now that something happened, hopefully we'll follow Jorah more than Daenerys.

Duallusion

I bet that bitch Cersei won't be smirking for long, as she did at the end of the last episode. Tywin was at least smart enough to know this isn't going to end well one way or the other.

Agreed. I almost got goosebumps at the awfulness of that bit of acting.

wildfire

Banned

I thought the laugh was appropriate but you have to be living under a rock to not notice other people finding it to be awkward or inappropriate. One person per page of this thread said they didn't like it.

I was convinced he was going to throw the spear at Tywin's face. Especially when he pointed at him shouting "Who gave you the order?". So I was caught off-guard when the mountain retaliated.

At this point, I really think Dany will eventually sit on the throne. Based on nothing more than they've spent so much damn time building up her story for the past 4 seasons. Ending her otherwise wouldn't serve a purpose.

I swear if they do another stupid Stark close call, I'm writing HBO a letter. It's getting pathetic at this point.

...you know this is based on books, right?

At this point, I really think Dany will eventually sit on the throne. Based on nothing more than they've spent so much damn time building up her story for the past 4 seasons. Ending her otherwise wouldn't serve a purpose.

But it would be hilarious if she spent 6 seasons building up a vast army, heads toward Kings Landing, and is hit in the face by an arrow from random-archer #4529 before she even makes land.

I haven't posted in this thread since last year. So, I'll post some of my own random thoughts.

- I think this has been the best season of Game of Thrones yet. I'm amazed by how the show seemingly gets better and better each season. That's something that almost never happens in television.

- I'm absurdly excited for the next two episodes. Preview talk
I'm extremely surprised to see that this year's episode 9, which is usually the big one, seems to take place entirely at the Wall. I therefore assume that we are also going to get a huge episode 10 this year, because Tyrion's fate won't be decided until then, and I feel like there are several other story arcs we need closure from before the end of the season.

- I said these words out loud during episode 8: "This is so fucking stupid." But I wasn't referring to Oberyn's death. I was referring to the Missandei / Grey Worm romance. So much cheese.

- Like most people have said, I feel like Emilia Clarke's acting is distractingly bad. I've actually always felt that way, but it seems like she's tried to make herself "queenly" this season, and she's just not pulling it off. It doesn't help that Dany's storyline has been the one I'm least interested in since season 1.

- I strongly disagree with people who feel that George R.R. Martin kills characters for shock value alone. So far all the major deaths have been crucial plot developments, and have actually enhanced the overall story. As much as it sucks to lose a great character like Oberyn, I feel like we need to actually see how the plot plays out before we jump to the conclusion that Martin is a sadist. And I continue to appreciate not knowing what the hell is going to happen in this story, it really raises the stakes.

- Having said that, if Tyrion dies, I might curl up into my bed and cry for a few months.

- I'm really nervous about the Hound's bite wound after it was mentioned in consecutive episodes. It's sort of looking like Chekhov's bite wound right now.

- I feel bad for people who say things like "the only characters I care about are Tyrion and maybe Arya". There are so many extremely interesting characters on this show, I don't know how you could limit yourself to taking interest in just a couple. I think one thing that helps me is that I've always embraced morally grey characters. Everyone is grey in real life, so when characters are grey, that just makes them so much more interesting to me.

Here's a list of characters ranked by how interested / invested I am them.

Tyrion
Arya
The Hound
Theon (I will debate anyone who wants it on the merits of rooting for Theon)
Jaime
Sansa
Jon
Bran (Because I'm still Team Stark, fuck the doubters)
Littlefinger (I should probably be rooting against him, but I can't help myself)
Varys
Stannis (Bend the knee, or he will destroy you)
Davos
Jorah
Brienne

I'm also very interested / invested in rooting against the following characters.

Tywin
Cersei
Roose
Ramsay

There are plenty of other interesting characters as well (Olenna, Margaery, Bronn, Samwell, Melisandre, Osha, Yara, Ygritte, etc.) but I don't feel like I'm quite as emotionally invested in their fates.

Yeah, if you're interested in only 1 or 2 characters, you're doing it wrong.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I find almost all of the characters interesting. That's probably why I enjoy this show so much, it's never boring. My personal faves/aka the people who I'll cry about when they die are probably just Brienne and Bran, Arya and Sansa. I was gonna just say the Stark kids but I don't really give a shit about Rickon.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
If Tyrion dies, it would be just stupid. And nothing original at all. I mean common, all good men dies, we are seeing this since season 1.

aravuus

Tyrion, Arya and the Hound are definitely the most interesting characters at the moment, can't wait to see where they all end up

If Tyrion dies, it would be just stupid. And nothing original at all. I mean common, all good men dies, we are seeing this since season 1.

Stupid?

Dash27

Kinda bummed how that fight went. It's like this show cant bear you to feel a bit happy for some justice for more than a few seconds before squishing a cool characters head.

Braag

I swear if they do another stupid Stark close call, I'm writing HBO a letter. It's getting pathetic at this point.

Better start writing then :p I'm almost certain that Arya and Sansa wont meet. Just like Bran and Jon which really annoyed me. it's not enough to kill our favorite characters, GRRM must also cock tease us with stark reunions which will never happen.

Just a quick point about Danny and Emilia's acting.

I honestly don’t see the issue with her acting, I really don’t.

Danny is a young woman who has been treated badly for quite a long time and yet she suddenly became aware of her true nature and her disgust with the idea of slaves etc. Since then she has been trying to get herself an army, conquer lands and liberating people, all while trying to learn the ropes of being a leader and a queen who can do right by every person who deserves it.

For me, what everyone is calling bad acting is really just 'Danny' acting, meaning the whole point is she isn't totally confident of her abilities as a leader, it means she is constantly having to learn and evaluate her decisions since they can affect many people in different ways. I think some people just need to put themselves in 'Danny's' shoes and think about how she must be feeling, the whole time being judged to see if she is good enough to lead, good enough to do the 'right' thing etc.

But hey, that’s just me.

pr0cs

Can't remember this scene, what is he burning?

It's when Theon goes back home to Pyke with a letter from Robb to try and get the Ironborn to ally with the King in the North. Theon writes a letter to Robb to warn him that Balon (Theon's father) is going to backstab Robb, but Theon decides to burn the warning instead of dispatching it.

It sets in motion so many significant events in the story.

Actually I saw a screencap somewhere that you could even read a portion of the letter, the detail they put into the show is pretty amazing.

got+burning+letter.gif

this is still one of the most haunting gifs floating around regarding GOT... IMO anyway

Everything about Theon's (okay, "Reek's) storyline connects with me. In Season 1 he comes across as this brash, entitled punk. But when you come to understand his character you realize that he's really just overcompensating for his extreme insecurities. This was a boy who was taken away from his family when he was very young. He was treated with respect in Winterfell, but he always knew that if his dumbass real father did anything stupid, Lord Eddard would have to put him to death (this is the sole reason he was taken to Winterfell in the first place). Imagine having that dividing line between you and your adopted "family." No one loved him. Robb may have been a friend to him, but that's all. And even with Robb, remember how he scolded Theon after he saved Bran's life, rather than thanked him? Remember how Tyrion rubbed Theon's status as a captive in his face in season 1? How people forget.

Then in Season 2, he sails off to his true born family in the Iron Islands with good intentions. Only when he gets there, he learns that the Greyjoys are planning to go to war against the Starks. He immediately has to make a choice. People act like Theon's choice was so obvious, that of course he had to sail back to Robb right away. And as that gif shows, Theon was ever so conflicted. But he had to choose, and he decided that perhaps he could earn the respect and love he so desperately craved with his birth family. Now, it's easy for us to say his father is a piece of shit, and Theon shouldn't have bothered. But it's not as easy when it's your father and your sister.

When he got to Winterfell, things quickly spiraled out of control. He made one stupid decision after another. Culminating in the worst thing he did, the killing of the two children (which actually was that other guys idea, but Theon did consent to it). But Theon was trying to force himself to be as tough as what he perceived an ironborn son needed to be. He lost touch with his true self.

And Theon / Reek has paid for his mistakes a thousand times over thanks to Ramsay.

I won't stop rooting for him. I think his story has the potential to be as great as any character's in the entire series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom