• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amey

felt like tweaking it a bit.
jWEhvHI.jpg

To Heshinsi,
I don't know where you got this entitlement stuff from, my point was that we are meant to be seeing that scene through Jorahs eyes, that's what he would be feeling like at that moment.
Honestly I don't know why you came out with that stuff, I think Danny has grown OUT of her entitlement issues she suffered from at the beginning of her solo journey, because she has had to learn that you earn you victories, not get given to you.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
To Heshinsi,
I don't know where you got this entitlement stuff from, my point was that we are meant to be seeing that scene through Jorahs eyes, that's what he would be feeling like at that moment.
Honestly I don't know why you came out with that stuff, I think Danny has grown OUT of her entitlement issues she suffered from at the beginning of her solo journey, because she has had to learn that you earn you victories, not get given to you.

Lol Reread my comment. I'm saying that on top of your point, that people saying she's entitled are crazy. The "you" isn't directed at you, but at the people saying that. I piggy backed off of your post as continuation of a similar thought. Dammit, should have been more clear.

Kinyou

Theon for me is probably the person I feel sorry for the most, such a tragic story and I hope one day we see him reclaim himself and take ramsey out brutally but being this show who knows if that will happen.
I'd love to see him recover and enact revenge, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he dies a miserable death

Lol Reread my comment. I'm saying that on top of your point, that people saying she's entitled are crazy. The "you" isn't directed at you, but at the people saying that. I piggy backed off of your post as continuation of a similar thought. Dammit, should have been more clear.

LOL Was on my phone at the time so no worries, mistake on both our parts :)

To Heshinsi,

With respect I haven't observed her having learned this lesson yet. She had influence given to her from Khal Drogo, two armies given to her by the slavers of Astapor and the second Sons, and cities given to her by the strategic and martial prowess of Jorah Mormont, Barriston Selmy, and Daario Naharis. Even her Dragons were a gift. How does a monarch born into power "earn" anything, really?

Well, this was perhaps the best episode I have ever seen of GoT.

It starts out violently with a massacre in molestown, and just goes on from there. Key character development for Sansa, exposition for LittleFinger, Moving the plot forward with honing Robin, feeling the feel of feels with the end of Sir Jora(I got teary eyed) and the amazing last duel, I thought I had figured out, but so much hadn't.

My only hope is that the Mountain will die in the next episode and they will get to give Tyrion a new duel. They can't kill Tyrion. They just can't. I can't believe that.

I'd love to see him recover and enact revenge, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he dies a miserable death

I can't imagine a death more miserable than the shit he's been through. The dude is seriously fucked up at this point.

He shaved the guy who cut his dick off. Let that sink in.

My only hope is that the Mountain will die in the next episode and they will get to give Tyrion a new duel. They can't kill Tyrion. They just can't. I can't believe that.

I think there is about 3% chance he is alive to be honest. Generally when you spit up blood, you are having a real bad time.

I just finished watching all 4 seasons in the past 2 weekish. Just some general thoughts:

- Honestly I don't give a shit anymore about 50 percent of the characters on this show.

- Dany especially. Who cares? It's been 4 seasons of build up (or really lack thereof because nothing happens with her) that have seemingly let to nowhere yet. Not even the Lannisters give a shit.

- Stannis...don't care either. Extremely boring since he lost the battle. And really his build up to that point was boring too.

-Greyjoys...again stopped caring. The only meaningful one Theon is a new character so there's no real attachment to this storyline. Honestly I have to read up on or re watch these scenes because I can't even remember how they fit in the big picture.

-The Wall stuff is so boring. The White Walkers seem like just an extreme fantasy army compared to what we see in the rest of the show so I just find them kind of ridiculous. Then they are supposed to be the death of all men or something yet nobody outside the wall gives a shit, why should I? Also they've done next to nothing despite being in the very first scene the show.

-Bran is whatever. Again I don't see where any of it fits in since they dont tell us anything about him so his scenes are more just annoying than anything.

-I found Sansa annoying but now I've actually taken an interest in her now that she's with Baelish. I'm interested to see where it goes after her 3 seasons of terribleness

-Arya is awesome. Such a sweetheart and bad ass the whole time. Can't complain. Hound is cool too

-I like Tyrion as the best character. I think he escapes with his brother. If he dies there's no real reason to keep watching this show.

-Oathkeeper girl was fine but seems her storyline is minor again now. We will see.

Eh, Theon completely betrayed the only family that ever cared for him in multiple devastating ways. He got his comeuppance.

What makes you say that Starks actually cared for Theon?

That's not to say the Starks did anything wrong. They no doubt treated Theon with courtesy. But my impression is that they didn't actually care for him at all. Robb was the only one who was a friend to him.

Would you have much love for an adopted family that took you as their hostage, with the thread that if you're birth family acted out out of order, this adopted family would execute you?

This is not to say that Theon chose "correctly", but I think it needs to be recognized that he was put in an incredibly difficult position.

Kozak

Banned
You mean the family that actually had him as a hostage, and never accepted him as part of that family?
If you were torn from your family as a child and was brought up knowing you would never be accepted wouldn't you want to try reconnect with your actual family, especially in the situation he was put in by his father.

Theon for me is probably the person I feel sorry for the most, such a tragic story and I hope one day we see him reclaim himself and take ramsey out brutally but being this show who knows if that will happen.

Theon may have been hostage, but I was of the impression through the show that he was taken in as part of the family. Robb was like a brother to him. Catelyn trusted him enough to have him in her councils. When Theon was heading off to Pyke, nobody doubted Theon, they were wary of Balony Greyjoy. Didn't Ser Rodrick comment that Ned treated him like a son/took him in as if he was one of his own?

I agree that Theon's story is very tragic. He never felt accepted, although he should have with the Starks. His father was pretty much insisting that Theon didn't belong amongst the Ironborn with the comments about Theon not paying the iron price.

You could say Ramsay has given Theon the biggest gift of all, a place where he belongs.

Theon may have been hostage, but I was of the impression through the show that he was taken in as part of the family. Robb was like a brother to him. Catelyn trusted him enough to have him in her councils. When Theon was heading off to Pyke, nobody doubted Theon, they were wary of Balony Greyjoy. Didn't Ser Rodrick comment that Ned treated him like a son/took him in as if he was one of his own?

I agree that Theon's story is very tragic. He never felt accepted, although he should have with the Starks. His father was pretty much insisting that Theon didn't belong amongst the Ironborn with the comments about Theon not paying the iron price.

You could say Ramsay has given Theon the biggest gift of all, a place where he belongs.

It's not true that Catelyn trusted Theon. She was extremely wary of Robb allowing Theon to go to the Iron Islands. I believe her words were "never trust a Greyjoy," she wasn't specifically commenting on Balon.

The exchange between Theon and Ser Rodrik goes like this:

Ser Rodrik: "Lord Stark raised you among his own sons."
Theon: "Among them but not one of them. I was his hostage."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

That's not to say the Starks did anything wrong. They no doubt treated Theon with courtesy. But my impression is that they didn't actually care for him at all. Robb was the only one who was a friend to him.

Would you have much love for an adopted family that took you as their hostage, with the thread that if you're birth family acted out out of order, this adopted family would execute you?

This is not to say that Theon chose "correctly", but I think it needs to be recognized that he was put in an incredibly difficult position.
Theon was more accepted than Jon, but it is hard to imagine Jon betraying the Starks like Theon did.

Sendero

Everything about Theon's (okay, "Reek's) storyline connects with me.
Great recap. Indeed, Theon storyline has been about paying for all his inherent moment of weaknesses, which pretty sure will pay off at some point.

Won't deny how awesome has been to see Ramsey take the spotlight though, him and Roose are quite entertaining, for different reasons.

Anyway, the one thing I really have not liked is how detached has Cercei being made from the viewer's point of view. She no longer has Jaime or Sansa to show herself, so whatever empathy we have from here, comes from her backstory, not her present. Feels her storyline is getting to an end, and I hope her last moments provide enough "feels" (one way or another).

Theon was more accepted than Jon, but it is hard to imagine Jon betraying the Starks like Theon did.

This is only true in the case of Catelyn, but only because she absolutely detested Jon. She didn't like Theon either, but she loathed Jon.

All the Stark children as far as I can gather had great relationships with Jon. He clearly had a special connection with Arya. I believe Robb and Bran also had love for Jon. (Maybe not Sansa though).

Jon was raised in Winterfell all his life. It's different in Theon's case. He was born in the Iron Islands and spent most of his formative years there.

Jon was raised among his father and his half-siblings. Theon was raised among his captors.

Jon never had the threat of Eddard putting the sword to the back of his neck. Theon did. That's the only reason he was in Winterfell in the first place, to keep Balon in line.

Their situations aren't as comparable as you might think.

I saw a guy named "Oberyn Dies" on Counter Strike:GO my guess is he probably had it up before the episode. Makes me want to not play on Sundays anymore. Assholes.

My girlfriend and I filmed our reactions (as is the fashion) to the duel. It's made us laugh, so I thought I'd upload it and share it with you guys. Enjoy our misery.

http://youtu.be/wG9E3N0J3oo

Oh man, the pain in the room was palpable. Your girlfriend couldn't even watch! Even watching your reactions were pretty hard to watch. Also, I'm fairly certain I was going the same exact thing with my hands that you guys were, haha. Thanks for sharing.

spirity

Comeuppance, why? Hasn't she suffered plenty? Think about what she's had to endure. She lost her mother tragically as a child, the circumstances of which caused her to develop a deep seeded hatred for the baby her mother died having. Being raised motherless by stern father who didn't love his children the way children want & need to be loved no doubt contributed to her forging an unnaturally close bond with her twin brother. A relationship that would grow more and more perverse until culminating with said twin brother raping Cersei at the foot of their dead bastard son's corpse....but that's jumping ahead.

It's important to note that in this world a high born woman's only real value is as a potential wife & mother. But when Cersei is offered to the Targaryens as a bride for Prince Rhaegar, the Mad King rejects the notion so harshly that Tywin resigns as Hand after two decades and rides home. After the war, she is deemed good enough by King Robert, a sad drunken man who was so hopelessly in love with a dead woman that he was incapable of loving his new wife. Still, she gave him an heir, a true heir, a beautiful black haired baby boy. But as if to cement her and Robert's doomed, loveless, marriage, their baby died. She lost her first born, and years later would lose her second. Even now, despite all the burden she bears, she's been forced into yet another ill-fated arrangement, this time with a gay man.

She's ruthless, greedy and manipulative sure, but wouldn't you expect that so much time in a harsh environments under extreme conditions would erode the positive aspects of a person and leave them cold and hardened? Cersei is one of the most sympathetic characters on the show. People only hate her because she's pitted against(and crushes) beloved characters.

There's no doubt she's had a rough time of it. I dislike her because she's always got a cunty expression on her face. Always with the sly grins. And though I understand why she is the way she is, understanding her doesn't get her off the hook, she's still a shithead. I don't feel for her at all and I hope she gets whats coming to her.

You mean the family that actually had him as a hostage, and never accepted him as part of that family?
If you were torn from your family as a child and was brought up knowing you would never be accepted wouldn't you want to try reconnect with your actual family, especially in the situation he was put in by his father.

Theon is dead, maybe his body is alive but that person is going. Reek is basically a talking dog at this point, I'll be shock if he makes it back.

He burned two innocent boys to death, not even Joffrey went that far.

Sendero

By the way, found interesting that Ironborn leader defending Moat Cailin (eventually betrayed by his own people ...like Theon), spitted at the mention of surrender, exemplified by Balon's bending to Robert.

That means that Theon's father might be unpopular among part of his people. If that's the case, I expect to play a major part on the story later.

Anyway, was disappointed that Grey Worm didn't speak in favor of our loved Fedorah. Daario was accepted in part thanks to his valuation/instinct. Hope we see reactions from Danny's remaining advisers. Also, wonder if she will do something reckless now that such betrayal was revealed.

My girlfriend and I filmed our reactions (as is the fashion) to the duel. It's made us laugh, so I thought I'd upload it and share it with you guys. Enjoy our misery.
http://youtu.be/wG9E3N0J3oo
Thanks for sharing, good video!

Ovid

Acting is about communicating information through your facial expressions and voice to the audience. Look at this face:

BOuJppc.png

This is just as she tells Jorah to GTFO. It would be a rather emotional moment for Dany, I think. Her guide and mentor has betrayed her and she's sending him on his way, most probably such that she'll never see him again. Her face needs to be carrying a range of emotions, most importantly probably betrayal. On the surface she should be determined, defiant, sure of herself and in command. But her face should also be revealing signs that she feels betrayed and damaged. Signs that she's sad to be saying goodbye to someone she once considered a close friend. It's a pretty complicated and nuanced situation she's in.

All she's really showing here is that first surface level emotion - defiance and sureness in herself. Because it's such a highly emotional scene, the character would let her guard down for at least a few moments, allowing the audience a window into her emotional state. Her eyes would tell us more than her actions are letting on. But she's really not.

I think whether it's subpar acting or subpar directing, this scene isn't as effective as it could have been because the information isn't communicating the information required to convey those emotions.
I liked it. She actually looked terrifying to me.

rando14

Theon was raised with great privileges, he lived, trained, dined with the Stark boys. He was safe and he was never put into any real dangerous situations until the entire family had to go to war. He was an assole lord who fucked chicks at his whim.

So what, he has a conversation with Jaime who says he's not really Theon Stark, but has the joy of basically being Theon Stark, and suddenly Theon wants to reconnect with his family. A family of pirates and pillagers. He goes home and, surprise, his dad's an asshole.

"I don't care, I'm going to betray my brother and emotionally destroy every single person I've ever known by capturing my adopted father's castle and killing the two young Stark boys."

Yeah, so much sympathy :p

Theon was raised with great privileges, he lived, trained, dined with the Stark boys. He was safe and he was never put into any real dangerous situations until the entire family had to go to war. He was an assole lord who fucked chicks at his whim.

So what, he has a conversation with Jaime who says he's not really Theon Stark, but has the joy of basically being Theon Stark, and suddenly Theon wants to reconnect with his family. A family of pirates and pillagers. He goes home and, surprise, his dad's an asshole.

"I don't care, I'm going to betray my brother and emotionally destroy every single person I've ever known by capturing my adopted father's castle and killing the two young Stark boys."

Yeah, so much sympathy :p

You're literally completely ignoring the thing where he would be put to death if his father did anything out of line. And since, as you admit yourself, his dad is such an asshole, then surely the threat of being to the sword by Eddard was real and constant for him.

Theon was a bit of an ass, sure. So was Jaime. And Tyrion at times (Tyrion was the one who rubbed it in Theon's face that was a captive, not Jaime). So was the Hound. Doesn't mean I can't be totally behind all of them.

Theon fought in the Battle of the Whispering Wood. I'm not sure what the point of your "was never really put into any real dangerous situations" comment was.

Theon was so into banging chicks because it was the only part of his life in which he could actually feel that he was in control. His identity has been as a hostage, he had no agency in his whole life. When he is castrated, he loses that part of himself that allowed him to have any sense of control over his own life.

Theon never attempted to kill Bran and Rickon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom